Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zaccaria_coil_conversion_chart_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Looking to purchase a zaccaria b-32-1500 coil. This coil is used to hold the metal shutter in front on the match reel. The coil is activated for the duration of the game. When a game ends, the metal shutter releases and you can see the match numbers on the reel in the back glass. I believe this set-up is used in some Playmatic games also. I'd also welcome a suggestion on an equivalent. I asked Pinball Resource and they indicated they could not help..

#2 7 years ago

well the number should tell you how its made

32 to is the gauge of wire

1500 is the number or rotations the coil has.

you should be able to find a replacement that works. It's probably going to be similar to a lockout coil used on coin doors. Is it a small one?

#3 7 years ago

It is about 1 inch long..so it is a bit larger than a lock out. I might just try to buy something close in terms gage/windings size. I was just hoping for a recommendation.

#4 7 years ago

look at the gottlieb coil cross reference chart. They should have something in the EM's.

#5 7 years ago

I do believe Steve at PBR will make custom coils. Just give him a call.

#6 7 years ago

I think John Robertson has a coil chart that lists almost every coil and relay made. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to post so you'll have to do a little digging on the net to find it. Or, you might find him on this site posting.

Steve

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well the number should tell you how its made
32 to is the gauge of wire
1500 is the number or rotations the coil has.
you should be able to find a replacement that works. It's probably going to be similar to a lockout coil used on coin doors. Is it a small one?

Actually i don't think the above is correct...
Zaccaria's coil labeling is different than US makers. I believe the "32" is not the wire gauge but is the wire diameter (probably in some metric amount). In US coils, a higher number would be a thinner wire (because it's a gauge number). In Zac land, a higher number is a thicker wire. I know flipper coils are labeled like that, pretty sure other coils too.

So bottom line you need to check the resistance. Then match a Bally or Gottlieb coil with the same frame size and similar resistance. This will get you a close match.

#8 7 years ago

yea, it could be a measurement instead of a gauge. but the second one is number of windings.

#9 7 years ago

Found the coil resistance chart link, http://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html , it's worth bookmarking.

Steve

#11 7 years ago

I thought I said "almost every"? I'm sure John would gladly add any documented information he can get for the chart. I'm glad to get whatever info I can in one place if possible, Johns collection of info is a great resource.

Steve

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i don't see any zaccaria on there.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks everyone.. I see a couple suggestions to contact Pinball Resource. I had already tried that without luck. I can not test the coil..it was destroyed. I only have the wrapper. The search continues..

#13 7 years ago

There is an another coil in the game with the same coil number? Just test the resistance on it. And your 9/10 the way there

#15 7 years ago

Hi bonzo71
http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip_archive.html -> EM tips -> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html -> on the bottom, Zaccaria -> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0221.html they write about "Zaccharia using Williams parts numbers". And in the already mentioned sites they talk about coils of "D-???" type - so I guess / assume D-Coils have "Diameter"-Info - other coils with "other letters in the beginning" are "Williams-Type" (?). Greetings Rolf

#16 7 years ago

this chart is great for converting the numbers on the coil to b/W numbers. Looks like you need a 28-1500 coil. Which seems fairly standard.

zaccaria_coil_conversion_chart_(resized).jpgzaccaria_coil_conversion_chart_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Hi pinsiders
Life would be easier if the French would have taken "a yard (length)" and then build the "measurement" based on "parts of" and "multiples of" ...

A yard is 3 feet, OK. Lets define: a tenth of a yard is a dezi-yard (or deci-yard), a 100th of a yard is a centi-yard, a 1000th of a yard is a milli-yard. For longer distances 1 yard , then 10 yards, then 100 yards , then kilo-yards (multiplying a yard by 10, 100, 1000).

Unfortunately - the French people wanted something NEW - they have taken as a "meter": About 10% more than a yard - so there is: "one meter = 1.0936 yard, one yard = 0.9144 meter".

Here: http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html -> almost on the bottom they talk about "D. 50 - S. 1600 - they say for "D." is "metric-system diameter (milli-meter) times 100 equals 50" - so that diameter is 0.5 milli-meter. Take a "milli-yard (a 1000th of a yard)" -> and take half of this -> this "thin" is a D. 50 - wire.
pinballmedic also mentions: Zaccaria pins use 36 Volts - so maybe (?) a Williams-Coil pulls stronger ?
Zaccaria-Chart (post-16): (upwards) - "unit / entity / item" is 0.01 milli-meter - a horizontal line by 10, 20, 30, etc. - the D-50-wire therefore is the horizontal line 50 - exactedly AWG 24.
Again, here: http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0221.html - they write about "Zaccaria using Williams-Coils".
Greetings Rolf

#18 7 years ago

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. There were no other similar coil on the game. I've ordered a Williams B-29-1600. It will arrive next week. I'll follow-up to confirm if it works. I can't think of too many similar coil applications where the coil holds in a plunger for the duration of game play. It just doesn't seem like a good idea..

#19 7 years ago

My b-29-1600 coil arrived today. Size wise it is an exact fit to the Zaccaria b-32-1500. Strength wise, it is a bit weaker than I'd hoped for. I stretched the spring out a small amount..and it works perfectly. The coil does not seem to get hot..which is a plus. The original coil melted the sleeve to the frame and plunger. Hopefully this will not happen again.

The extra strength of the 28-1500 might have been a better choice.

#20 7 years ago

Hi bonzo71
thanks for telling us "B-29-1600" is a functioning substitute for the original "B-32-1500" - ifever another Zaccaria-owner is searching the forum for information ...

Here and there I've been reading (I do not understand the principle behind): Un-winding some windings (up to 10 percent) will make the coil MORE powerful. I can imagine "shorter total-length gives less total-resistance in the wiring - causing more amperes to flow".

Great - YOU CAN stretch out a spring "a small amount" - I have never tried - anxious of "overstretching, destroying" -> from a electrical cable (copper or iron) I have taken a couple of the very thin wires -> twirled / twisted -> one side of the spring I hooked in at the "anchor-plate / armature" and the other side of the spring I pulled towards "Original place to hook-up" then twisted the both ends of my helping wire -> could put a drop of solder on the twisted end - actually never did. Greetings Rolf

#21 7 years ago

yes, unwinding a bunch of the windings would make the coil stronger, but your solution was easier and cleaner.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-b-32-1500-coil-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.