(Topic ID: 137068)

Zac alternative MPU - circuit designers?

By shimoda

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0035_BZ_Boards_Separated.jpg
IMG_0033_BZ_Boards_Attached.jpg
IMG_0027_BZ_Installed.jpg
Aux_Lamp_Driver_Example.png
10621479eb8cd83583586af2ea5122e6-11403_top.png
c8ca468e97030d38b1718620923e8130-11458_top_2.png
#1 8 years ago

Since I've got a non-running Farfalla here, been working overtime trying to get the MPU to boot I've been wondering about a reboot for Zacs. Homepin made an MPU a couple years back but it was mainly based on the original design. With applejuice (Jim) making the Bally 'reboot' boards, Janin and Ni-Wumpf doing the Gottlieb stuff, I'm wondering how possible it would be to design an MPU replacement for Zaccaria games. Any thoughts from the serious circuit designers?

#2 8 years ago

I would not be too difficult to engineer a replacement MPU board for a Zaccaria
The board would basically be a copy of the original design (minus any hard to find parts that would need to be upgraded/re-engineered).
Then you would put the original EPROMS in, install the board and Voila...

Not undoable, in a nut shell.

#3 8 years ago

Sure, it's possible.. it would just take someone that really likes Zaccaria and doesn't mind the somewhat limited audience.. at least in the US (compared to Bally/Williams homebrew boards).

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#4 8 years ago

I took a brief look at the schematic and it actually looks like a really good case for modernization. Lots of 74 series style logic that could be wrapped up in CPLD or FPGA. The major down sides I see are the limited market and the oddball super rare CPU that's used. I couldn't easily find a 2650A CPU core for FPGA. I'm guessing there isn't one because it's pretty rare and would be in low demand. If a VHDL CPU core were available it would make the project a LOT easier.

Interesting idea. Not something I'd personally pursue.

#5 8 years ago

Someone sell me the gerber files for any of these boards. I could probably make it work. I would have to assemble a few and see if it is worth it. If i had Gerber files for bally boards i know i could make that work. Same with WMS sys 7.

#6 8 years ago

Then someone get on a Stern SB-300 right after that.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

I took a brief look at the schematic and it actually looks like a really good case for modernization. Lots of 74 series style logic that could be wrapped up in CPLD or FPGA. The major down sides I see are the limited market and the oddball super rare CPU that's used. I couldn't easily find a 2650A CPU core for FPGA. I'm guessing there isn't one because it's pretty rare and would be in low demand. If a VHDL CPU core were available it would make the project a LOT easier.
Interesting idea. Not something I'd personally pursue.

While this is mostly Greek to me, I do understand that basically an FPGA can be coded to work like connected logic bits though with the ability to create custom designs. I doubt, given the rare usage of the 2650A, that a core code would exist for it though that would be great, I'd have no idea how to do it. Homepin did a version of the Gen 2 board, but don't offer it and apparently they weren't very easy, or affordable, to get running reliably.

Thinking on Pascal has done for Gottliebs, replacing the programming on a completely different cpu/processor core, seems like it might be the best idea, perhaps especially if the game cade was still left to eproms. I'd have zero idea where to begin as FPGAs aren't anywhere in my knowledge horizon. I know the US audience would be small but as these boards age and the games still look great because of Zac's clearcoating, it would be a shame to have a slew of unusable games because the control system was gone. If I had the knowledge and experience, I'd just design it myself. As it is, I can't figure out how to do a simple voltage regulator in Eagle so that's another holdup for me.

Very glad to see response here though and would like to keep the discussion going possibly leading to some real usable ideas. FPGAs could be a solution, but there might be others. It seems like it should be possible to use some other CPU to control the components in a zac game but that the rulesets might have to be written for that cpu since the 2650A worked seemingly much differently than say a 6800. Love to hear more ideas.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Someone sell me the gerber files for any of these boards. I could probably make it work. I would have to assemble a few and see if it is worth it. If i had Gerber files for bally boards i know i could make that work. Same with WMS sys 7.

I'll do it. $10K/board including working prototype and gerbers based on original designs (no addition of CPLD, etc...). That may sound like a high number but honestly I would still be somewhat hesitant to not just sell the finished boards myself. You're never going to make that kind of money from Zaccaria, but you can be sure that a company like Alltek has made multiples of that selling the Bally stuff. I have finished designs in the can for Bally/Stern and Williams 3-7. What I don't have is spare time in my life to actually prototype them and probably won't any time soon.

Or just do it yourself.

That's what I would really recommend. If you're looking to work from gerbers in the first place, it's not tough to take the schematic, dump it into Eagle and create a board. The tough part is in the component placement and routing, but people seem to be happy with boards based on the layout of the originals so it's not tough to get it to that stage. I would be happy to give you advice for free on any of that stuff. I'm not the best circuit designer ever, but I've been designing PCBs for pinball for over ten years and I've done lots of boards for pinball in that time and come a very long way in terms of component layout and routing. I love designing the boards. I just don't love assembling and shipping them so most never see the light of day. I don't really see someone coming up with well designed gerbers for pinball MPUs that they're going to sell "cheap" unless it's not their original work because there is actually a lot of profit to be made in some cases (not Zaccaria, IMO), but who knows. Stranger things have happened in pinball.

Personally, I would not consider hand assembling them using through-hole components like the originals. That's going to take FOREVER and eat up all potential profit.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/eagle-pcb-design-software/about-eagle/

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

I'll do it. $10K/board including working prototype and gerbers based on original designs (no addition of CPLD, etc...). That may sound like a high number but honestly I would still be somewhat hesitant to not just sell the finished boards myself. You're never going to make that kind of money from Zaccaria, but you can be sure that a company like Alltek has made multiples of that selling the Bally stuff. I have finished designs in the can for Bally/Stern and Williams 3-7. What I don't have is spare time in my life to actually prototype them and probably won't any time soon.
Or just do it yourself.

Same thing I was thinking but it would probably be more than $10K. If somebody took time for the non-trivial effort to create gerber files - then they would already be motivated to selling the boards themselves. Getting a copy of the schematics is the easy part - going from schematics to debugged gerber files is quite an effort. Especially if you do it right with trace optimization, copper pours, etc. Toss in obsolete part replacement and you have a major time and effort expense.
A good PCB software suite is going to run you a pretty penny. It can be done with the free stuff but not easily. We invested more than $50K in our Mentor Graphics design software -- per user.

#10 8 years ago

I like those "ultimate" board designs where the installed part is SMD but the thru-holes are next to it for conventional repair.

#11 8 years ago

What would be the single biggest challenge to redesigning this? Would it be replacing the 2650A and programming aspects since the architecture is so different from Bally? Why didn't Zac just pull a Stern and this would have all been moot? Of course, then I probably wouldn't have a Zac sitting here because it would likely be working and still in someone else's collection.

#12 8 years ago

Just always looking for more ideas for projects. 10k... wow. I know I could do it myself if I devoted the time. I already have a full time day job and i do board repair 3-4 hours every day, and i am trying to sell components out of the house, and build nvrams ahhhh i gotta get back to work.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Just always looking for more ideas for projects. 10k... wow. I know I could do it myself if I devoted the time. I already have a full time day job and i do board repair 3-4 hours every day, and i am trying to sell components out of the house, and build nvrams ahhhh i gotta get back to work.

Easy answer -- quit the job

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

What would be the single biggest challenge to redesigning this? Would it be replacing the 2650A and programming aspects since the architecture is so different from Bally? Why didn't Zac just pull a Stern and this would have all been moot? Of course, then I probably wouldn't have a Zac sitting here because it would likely be working and still in someone else's collection.

Zac (and Gameplan too) actually did copy the Bally design for most of their systems. The lamp drivers are the same on all 3 , coil drivers are the same on Zac's, The Zac displays are super similar including the power supplies. Other than going with the 2650 over the 6800 they are super similar

#15 8 years ago

I like how bally pulls off there setup with only two PIAs. WMS used 4 and even more on later systems. Encoded lamps and individual scr worked out way better.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I like how bally pulls off there setup with only two PIAs. WMS used 4 and even more on later systems. Encoded lamps and individual scr worked out way better.

I've always liked the way Bally designed their system too. The way they multiplexed the PIA outputs of U10 is really an efficient use of the PIA.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

It's efficient until you have something shorting on the switch matrix that causes the displays to output garbage. Discrete outputs for the PIA's make it super easy to diagnose a problem.

I change waaaay more individual SCR's that I do TIP42 transistors. I don't think I have ever shorted out a Williams lamp matrix while changing bulbs. The Bally's were superior when it comes to a non-booting or partially booting MPU board, but Williams ultimately did better with the rest of their system (other than the burning GI connectors that dogged them from 1980-1999)

#18 8 years ago

The lamp matrix was a bad choice for wms in the early days. Having the CPU have to deal with the lamp matrix forced the software to be much simpler. Bally software / rules smoked wms until wms system 9 came out. The Bally hardware layout was clunky at spots (aux lamp board etc) , but really gave then much more flexibility than wms did.

#19 8 years ago

I remember when I got my Farfalla it was missing boards. I think there was an Australian outfit that made a new MPU basically duplicating the original. I instead contacted Dave Gersic and he hooked me up with a set of rebuilt originals which run rock solid.

#20 8 years ago

Unfortunately David doesn't currently have any spare MPUs. Still working on figuring out mine. Might even be a dead CPU, though it does give signals occasionally. Finally pulled out the Tektronix 453 a friend gave me a couple years ago and started the first use/calibration steps with it. Time to learn how to use an o-scope, something I've always wanted to do. Got traces and several steps of calibration done last night. Felt like a kid in a candy store.

I've done lots of Bally board work now and I really appreciate the blinking diagnostic feature, simple but also very helpful.

I'm glad to see this thread still active and hoping something might actually come out of it - board wise. I would love to see an alternate MPU of course Farfalla might be the only Zac I ever find (though I hope to find a Robot).

2 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

Look out everyone... I am getting dangerous. Starting with redesigning simple PCBs before I am getting more complex. 10k for a mpu layout.... zzz. I will get there soon

c8ca468e97030d38b1718620923e8130-11458_top (2).pngc8ca468e97030d38b1718620923e8130-11458_top (2).png

10621479eb8cd83583586af2ea5122e6-11403_top.png10621479eb8cd83583586af2ea5122e6-11403_top.png

#22 8 years ago

Cool stuff! It's a good idea to add LED support to the lamp driver if you're planning to sell them. Here's a proof of concept layout I did of the Bally lamp driver board as an example of a different approach to that board. I used SMD SCRs but DIP would fit in the same space and basically route the same:

Aux_Lamp_Driver_Example.pngAux_Lamp_Driver_Example.png

For the 5101-6264 adapter, the 5101 package will fit under the 6264 if you use the smaller pads on the 5101. That would make the board quite a bit smaller, relatively. I've given examples on the forum for combining the enables of the 5101 to add Gottlieb System 80 support and isolating the inputs and outputs of the 5101 with a 74LS244 to add Gottlieb System 1 support. It's worth considering adding that stuff to expand the potential market.

I've also been considering adding a jumper to my 5101 and 6116 NVRAM adapters for two banks of RAM. I think some people would like that. In theory, you could then run a switch to the coin door to switch between two sets of audits, high scores, etc... or just leave the jumper and switch it that way. That's something else to consider adding.

An MPU is a different universe than these small boards in terms of routing and prototyping, but it's not rocket science. You can definitely get there with enough time and effort.

#23 8 years ago

Shucks I was hoping someone got this done and had boards ready to populate

#24 8 years ago

A friend of mine has developed a replacement CPU for Farfalla - I'll see if I can get him to chime in here with details.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

Cool stuff! It's a good idea to add LED support to the lamp driver if you're planning to sell them. Here's a proof of concept layout I did of the Bally lamp driver board as an example of a different approach to that board. I used SMD SCRs but DIP would fit in the same space and basically route the same:
Aux_Lamp_Driver_Example.png
For the 5101-6264 adapter, the 5101 package will fit under the 6264 if you use the smaller pads on the 5101. That would make the board quite a bit smaller, relatively. I've given examples on the forum for combining the enables of the 5101 to add Gottlieb System 80 support and isolating the inputs and outputs of the 5101 with a 74LS244 to add Gottlieb System 1 support. It's worth considering adding that stuff to expand the potential market.
I've also been considering adding a jumper to my 5101 and 6116 NVRAM adapters for two banks of RAM. I think some people would like that. In theory, you could then run a switch to the coin door to switch between two sets of audits, high scores, etc... or just leave the jumper and switch it that way. That's something else to consider adding.
An MPU is a different universe than these small boards in terms of routing and prototyping, but it's not rocket science. You can definitely get there with enough time and effort.

Thank you for you comments!

Things I had thought about for aux lamp driver board... Additional pads to support SMT and through hole. Resistor networks to keep enough load on the SCRs to latch them when using LEDs. Maybe a LED block to show on the PCB that each lamp circuit is working.

The 6264 to 5101 adapter, I didnt think the 5101 footprint would fit inside of the DIP28 sockets i have, so i staggered them. The hole size was chosen by the component library. I wanted them to be both the same, but I rolled with it. I will probably try and use fm1608 on these. I still havent figured out how to make them work with boards that use the 2nd chip select more than tying it to be always high with the power on reset delay. So they only work with WMS 6-7 and Bally/Stern -17 to -200 era. I will have to look up your posts.

Some issues i had was finding all the components. Eagle was better, but I will have to stick to KiCad to sell these things. Like the SCR i used wanted to drill mount holes in the lamp driver board and finding a 20 pin .156" header. I ended up butting together two 10pins. I will figure that stuff out in time. I assume there is away to make custom components. Time to watch more youtube videos... doot doot.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

10k for a mpu layout.... zzz.

LOL

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Like the SCR i used wanted to drill mount holes in the lamp driver board and finding a 20 pin .156" header. I ended up butting together two 10pins. I will figure that stuff out in time. I assume there is away to make custom components. Time to watch more youtube videos... doot doot.

You basically have to design a lot of your own libraries / modules in Kicad.. yes there are ways, check out the library editor / module editor. It's not totally straight-forward, a bit quirky actually.. but eventually you catch onto what needs to be done to build anything you want. I've created many components not in the standard libraries this way out of necessity. You start getting used to having to look at the component specs (say LED dot matrix blocks for example) and using x, y coordinates to set the spacing between the pins. Because the standard libraries could never work for everything. It's tedious at first, but then you get used to using a combination of what's available and designing them from scratch.

Like the .156 footprints.. if there was none in there, make a pad.. then put the next pad at the same Y-coordinate and 3.96mm off the 1st pad's X coordinate. Then do the same for each other pad.. and start saving them as MOLEX_156-2, MOLEX_156-3, etc. Personally I just build what I need.. so I don't have all the bases covered (ie.. I might have a 9-pin and 10-pin MOLEX 156 footprint/module but not a 7-pin.. till I need it). I can always delete or add pads to an existing module I created to get what I want.

It's fun creating new boards out of your own ideas. Not just copying what's already out there to make it cheaper or just using other people's ideas you find.. but actually thinking up something not out there yet, being creative.. and seeing something you didn't know was possible actually work out. Well that's the exciting thing to me with the boards anyway. The only downside is, the more you create.. and offer for sale the more it can take away from ability to design new stuff. So you kind of want designs that can sell in high volume (I'm still in search of one of those myself) and yet in the back of your mind know it'll mean you won't have as much "free time" for new designs.

Good luck and have fun creating

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from woz:

A friend of mine has developed a replacement CPU for Farfalla - I'll see if I can get him to chime in here with details.

PLEASE!!!

#29 8 years ago

I have made him aware of this thread....

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Things I had thought about for aux lamp driver board... Additional pads to support SMT and through hole. Resistor networks to keep enough load on the SCRs to latch them when using LEDs. Maybe a LED block to show on the PCB that each lamp circuit is working.

Good ideas. The basic design I posted has the load resistors for LED compatibility as SIP resistor networks. I was also planning to add indicator LEDs to the SCR outputs. I've been designing a lot of these smaller boards lately using as much SMD as possible because I would like to eventually get a pick and place machine. SMD LEDs would be a lot cheaper and you can place them right by the SCR, but the DIP bar graph LEDs would also work.

Quoted from barakandl:

The 6264 to 5101 adapter, I didnt think the 5101 footprint would fit inside of the DIP28 sockets i have, so i staggered them. The hole size was chosen by the component library. I wanted them to be both the same, but I rolled with it.

The best advice I can give you is to learn how to make your own packages in whatever design software you're using right away. It's one of the most important things, IMO. When I do stuff for pinball now I end up just making most of the parts myself because it gives me the most flexibility.

Here's an eagle library with a 5101 using the smaller holes, as an example.

http://pinforge.com/Eagle_Example/5101_Example.lbr

I really like Eagle, personally, but it's the only one I've ever used so I have no frame of reference. It works well for me so I stick with it.

Quoted from barakandl:

I will probably try and use fm1608 on these.

I assumed you were planning to stuff a 6264 NVRAM adapter in the 6264->5101 board you posted which made me wonder why you didn't just do a NVRAM-> 5101 board, though there's probably a small market for people who want to use a 6264 chip in a 5101 socket with batteries.

Quoted from barakandl:

I still havent figured out how to make them work with boards that use the 2nd chip select more than tying it to be always high with the power on reset delay. So they only work with WMS 6-7 and Bally/Stern -17 to -200 era. I will have to look up your posts.

I wasn't easily able to find them. I'll repost later when I have more time to dig up the schematic examples.

#31 8 years ago

Small market for sure on the 6264 to 5101 adapter, did something like that myself and there wasn't a huge amount of interest.

#32 8 years ago

Shimoda, Woz let me know that you are interested in a replacement Zaccaria CPU board. I designed replacement boards for Bally and Zaccaria cpu boards a few years ago. The boards use a common microcontroller and Pinball Operating System, but the game code has to be written in C for each game. This is easily adapted from Visual Pinball or similar simulator programs. So far the system has been used for Bally Paragon (me), Zaccaria Farfalla (me), Bally Power Play (woz), and Zaccaria Pinball Champ (me, partially done). The idea was to provide a standard replacement hardware and software system for all machines made from 1977 to about 1986 (the 7-segment display era). The attached pdf is a bit dated but illustrates the concept. If interested, contact me.

#33 8 years ago

I did PM you immediately and it looks like others would like info on this so waiting patiently to hear back, the sooner the better

I'd love to start playing my Farfalla, so hit me up with info on how to get this PPoB

1 week later
#34 8 years ago

So got me all excited and PMd but never heard anything back... Still curious about this and would like to hear more.

#35 8 years ago

Hi Shimoda,

Sorry for the delay, been a while and I am collecting the pieces. Attached are pictures of:

a) The Baby Zacc board installed in the machine
b) The Baby Zacc board with the Microcontroller Board attached
c) The Baby Zacc and Microcontroller boards side by side

To use this board you will need:

a) The 9S12D or 9S12X board (from technologicalarts.com, ~$100)
b) The Baby Zacc board (from me, or ExpresssPCB, ~$20?)

To improve my Farfalla program, or add programs for other Zaccaria machines, you will also need:

c) The P&E Micro Multilink Interface (from pemicro.com ~$200)
d) Freescale CodeWarrior development system (was free...)
e) 'C' programming skills
f) The source code and PbOS library from me, ~$0)

Andy

IMG_0027_BZ_Installed.jpgIMG_0027_BZ_Installed.jpg

IMG_0033_BZ_Boards_Attached.jpgIMG_0033_BZ_Boards_Attached.jpg

IMG_0035_BZ_Boards_Separated.jpgIMG_0035_BZ_Boards_Separated.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Yes. I used the 9S12DP256 and 9S12DP512 before, but the 9S12DG128 would be fine.

#38 8 years ago

Sent you a PM berrisaj. Curious about how different your Farfalla rules are from the original but also thought perhaps you just put those rules in already.

#39 8 years ago

As an aside here's Andy's board at work in my Bally "Power Play". Well.... it's the same tech arts board but with different code and an interface board to the Bally hardware.

#40 8 years ago

Anxious to get it and try it out.

#41 8 years ago

Sounds like fun im in

2 weeks later
#42 8 years ago

Hoping I'll get this by the weekend. Will post info on how it worked when I do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhorn, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zac-alternative-mpu-circuit-designers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.