• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Klondike-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi,

I recently acquired a 1971 Yukon (not the special) Upon playing it the first day or two I noticed that the word "Yukon" lights behind back glass stayed lit solid. However on youtube the demos I saw show that Yukon intermittently light each letter up. Besides that everything worked alright at that time. I also noticed someone had wrapped tape around the weighted bell shape tilt mechanism. I took this off. Later in the middle of playing a game all the back box lights suddenly went off with the exception of the tilt light and the two lights for game over. Every other light on the back box is no longer lit.The score reel still works fine. Additionally now each time I push start for new game, it will reset the reels but mechanism under playfield keeps running but it will not cycle the ball into the shooter unless I reach into the coin door and tap the tilt into the metal. This then "resets" the game.

I checked all the fuses (I could find 4 total) and they were ok. Is there more fuses than that? Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

This one has 455 flasher bulbs behind the "YUKON" letters

Do you have the schematic?

#3 6 years ago

I have a Klondike which is essentially the same game as Yukon. The lights behind the Yukon only flash if you put flasher bulbs in them. The game itself doesn't cause them to turn on and off otherwise.

#4 6 years ago

Hello,

Ok that is what I saw so just a different bulb then. No I don't have the schematic. Thank you.

#5 6 years ago

The tape on the tilt weight was to keep it from tilting. Just put some back on or remove it.

#6 6 years ago

I tried a little artistic experiment with the flasher bulbs on my Klondike. A few scattered around the horse mixed with non-flashers, then two where the bears are. It worked, giving "Motion" to the horse just as the bears are revealed.
Hard to describe without seeing it.

#7 6 years ago

Your backbox lights are on a separate circuit from the Game Over and Tilt lights.

Check your Jones plugs as its intermittent. My klondike was doing the same thing and it ended up being dirty jones plugs.

I can reference my klondike to help you.

#8 6 years ago

Also, you say the score motor keeps running even though the score reels reset to 0. Does the ball eject into the shooter lane and the motor just continue to run? Or does the ball never get ejected over?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Also, you say the score motor keeps running even though the score reels reset to 0. Does the ball eject into the shooter lane and the motor just continue to run? Or does the ball never get ejected over?

Hi Chrimeg,

The ball will not eject into the shooter lane to start a game unless I tap the weighted tilt against the metal. It will then eject the ball into the shooter lane and start a game. Also none of the backbox lights will lights light up with the exception of tilt and game over lights. They quit working in the middle of a game. I checked the 4 fuses and they were ok.

So to recap,at this point I can play a game but there are no lights on the backbox other than tilt and game over. And I cant start a game without tapping the tilt weight against the metal which it then ejects the ball to shooter lane and I cant start game.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#10 6 years ago

Well, isn't this bizarre: there's no Tilt relay. Check make/break sw. 2A on the Game Over relay, and also check all of your tilt switches for shorts or contact. And check Lock relay switches B and C: one of those two powers the backbox lights.

#11 6 years ago

Hi currieddog
ipdb does not have the schematics to "Yukon" - I look-up in the Klondike-schematics.
Different pins have different forms of Tilt(s) --- a "mild Tilt" ends just the ball on the player who is playing. A "stronger Tilt" might end the whole Game for this specific Player. An severe Tilt (Slam-Tilt(s)) ends the game for all participating players - kind of toggle-off the pin.

We are used to have the mild form of Tilts - we shake the pin - but shake it too much - the pendulum tilt causes the Tilt-Relay to pull-in - ONLY the ball in play is lost.
An example of "my words: Stronger Tilt" is the Liberty Belle: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1438 --- In a Four-Player-Game lets say the third player bangs a Tilt on the second ball - "Game Over" for this (third) player --- the other players play the rest of the balls. Yukon is a ONE-Player-pin with this "stronger Tilt mechanism".

The ipdb-manual "Yukon" at page-6 (ori 15) tells to the Ball-Count-Unit: The Stepper might step up to the Maximum "9 Balls to play". There is also: "During Reset-Cycle this Unit resets to ZERO".
Lets look at the ipdb-schematics "Klondike" - I show in the JPG on top the lights-section.

Williams and Bally pins usually trigger the "reaching state Game-Over, Game-Over-Relay trips": The Ball-Count-Unit steps a step too much - the brain of the pin says: Oooops - a step beyond what I allow to present the player - oooops - so I change to "Game-Over".

Lets look at the top of the JPG - in play shall be the last ball - see my "dark-blue arrow" points to "ball-1" - but the Tilt-Lite does not lite because the Game-Over-Relay is in state "latched - in play" - so the "encircled light-blue switches" are "as drawn in the snippet". We bang a tilt - the pulling Tilt-Relay closes "my encircled orange Switch" - the Game-Over-Relay is made to trip - "Game Over and Tilt".

Lets not bang a tilt - lets loose the last ball (called ball-1) --- on the bottom of the JPG: "encircled green" happens - the Outhole-Relay is made pulling so switch closes) - the Ball-Index-Relay is pulling (the ball in play has made some points) - switch is closed --- the pulling Outhole-Relay makes the motor to run - it closes its switch - the Ball-Count-Unit is made to step down - from position-1 to position-Zero --- the Game-Over-Relay-Trip-Coil is made to pull. And we see "Game-Over" lit in the Backglass.

Tru33 --- You know how the Game-Over-Relay acts when You make a Tilt --- this is "to TRIP the Game-Over-Relay". Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - MANUALLY "TRIP" the Game-Over-Relay - then plug-in, toggle-on, start a game - what happens ?

To me the problem is "You either do not play ALL balls so the pin cannot do the stuff I wrote about" --- or You have a fault "along the wiring connecting my green rectangles / circles". Greetings Rolf

0Klondike-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Klondike-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

So with the tilt and game over lights...they are separate from the back box lights in regards connection in the circuits.

Backbox lights to my understanding (6.4v) are not wired to any relays other than the "lock" which is triggered by pushing the left flipper when power switch is first turned on. I assume all your playfield lights are working (the ones that are always lit under the plastics). All these are fed from the 6.4 side of the transformer into the "lock relay" and out from there on switch to the plugs onto the playfield and backbox.

If they tend to go out during game play I still wonder if its a loose/dirty connection in the jones connectors. As the solenoids are popping during game play the connections may move just to cause the lights to go out.

If the game ends. Do the backbox lights come on again? How about if the ball drains but its not end of game?

This may also explain the ball count unit going out of wack. The ball count unit is in the backbox if i'm not mistaken. So if the connector looses connection at certain points then the unit does not trigger ball count events.

When you power on the game and add credits. Does the ball count light work...should be with 3, 5 or 9 depending on how game is setup.

Just a heads up that the a majority of problems with these klondike/yukon games is in the game over latch relays. They are pretty touchy and if the latch is a little off then the game does weird things. However, it should not affect the backbox attract lights but will screw with the "game over, game in play" modes.

Lots of questions here but I'm sure with some guidance you'll figure it out. People like curriedog and rolf_martin are a wealth of information. They've helped many (including myself) thru the most complex problems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yukon-1971-williams-not-special and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.