Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Herk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2052 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    72050bb43547c75896b6afa0c9b98815c9cf97d4.jpg
    40E8174D-194D-4260-927E-976F691AF2C1 (resized).jpeg
    8F1128D5-2A9C-4F1D-B577-F98D2CCCF9D7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4024 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4023 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4021 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4019 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4011 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4008 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4009 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4010 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    12c (resized).jpg

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Just like the title says, if you had a $1000 what pin would you be looking for?

I currently have a few EM's and I'm starting to look for my first non-EM. The fiance' gave me the go ahead, and my current budget is a $1000. Doesn't have to look pretty! It can be missing paint and have some serious player ware but it's gotta be mostly functional. And it has to be within a 3 hour radius of the western-central PA area.

#2 6 years ago

Whatever looks interesting within a 3 hour radius of the western-central PA area?

If there was a Used Pin Mart™ you could just roll up to and pick whatever you wanted then suggestions would be great, but at that price point it's more about what's for sale. Better to do a search, post the results, and let people help you decide which unloved pins sitting at $1k are worth making an offer on.

I could say "yo, I bought a Mystic a couple years ago for $900, find that" but the chances of you actually finding that are pretty remote.

#3 6 years ago

Maybe try to find a Flash? They seem plentiful enough, and of course you are going to play it before you buy it, right?

A beat up Space Shuttle might be cool. There was one listed a few months back for around $600.

Just suggestions, lots to look for.

Have fun!

#4 6 years ago

Any Gottlieb with drop targets. Wedgehead's rule.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Herk:

The fiance' gave me the go ahead, and my current budget is a $1000.

She’s not even your wife yet and you need her to give you permission? That’s a first.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

She’s not even your wife yet and you need her to give you permission? That’s a first.

definitely not a first.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

I don't need the permission. It's about respect. We're paying for a wedding, so it would be pretty shitty of me to drop a grand on something un-wedding related without at least discussing it.

#8 6 years ago

Living near you, few solid state titles come up for sale in the 1K range. The Bedford arcade closed and the owner was selling everything, don't know what's left. I picked up a working Bally Playboy with a beat PF but nice BG for 1K in Clearfield a few months ago. Early Bally solid state games would be a good choice. Depending on your skill level, non-working unrestored project games were selling for $500-600 at York this year.

#9 6 years ago

Flash, jungle lord, maybe a early ss stern like meteor.

#10 6 years ago

Firepower and Meteor are solid choices. There are definitely some good 1k games out there if you are patient and take your time looking.

#11 6 years ago

Search Craigslist, Facebook marketplace and local for sale ads. Deals to come up and you could find something nice for $1000. I have a friend who recently picked up a stern wwe for around that price. Deals are they’re, but watch out for scams.

#12 6 years ago

Lottery tickets. Pin prices are out of control.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Living near you, few solid state titles come up for sale in the 1K range. The Bedford arcade closed and the owner was selling everything, don't know what's left. I picked up a working Bally Playboy with a beat PF but nice BG for 1K in Clearfield a few months ago. Early Bally solid state games would be a good choice. Depending on your skill level, non-working unrestored project games were selling for $500-600 at York this year.

All over his stuff is gone now. Loved going there and playing.

#14 6 years ago

$1000 should be able to get you a good players condition SS title, likely in need of a few repairs.

Some of my favorites:

High Speed
    Space Shuttle
    Comet
    Flash Gordon
    Paragon

#15 6 years ago

Firepower!

#16 6 years ago

As an owner of a beat up Space Shuttle, I would strongly agree with this guy. I got mine for $350 about a year ago. Everything looks like a disaster, but it has a perfect backglass and the game plays great. My friends all love and and call it my "beater."

#17 6 years ago

There are many good early solid-state pins that can be had under $1000

#18 6 years ago

What can you buy with $1000? Even junk games around here fetch $1500-1700 in a heartbeat.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

$1000 should be able to get you a good players condition SS title, likely in need of a few repairs.
    Some of my favorites:
    High Speed
    Space Shuttle
    Comet
    Flash Gordon
    Paragon

Flash Gordon for $1000? Been looking for a long while and never saw one that cheap.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Flash Gordon for $1000? Been looking for a long while and never saw one that cheap.

I turned down a $2k offer on mine. Works 100% but playfield is blown out.

#22 6 years ago

+1 firepower. Great game.

#23 6 years ago

Save your money.

#24 6 years ago

Black Knight
    High Speed
    Meteor

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

There are many good early solid-state pins that can be had under $1000

Not in my area. I’d suggest buying a piggy bank for now and hope for cash wedding gifts to help pay for a good game.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I got one that cheap about 3 years ago. Nice playfield and glass. Fully working. Played great. Cabinet faded and dinged up. Had to take a gamble and ship it. Gamble paid off.

#27 6 years ago

I think a restorable Comet would be great find.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Save your money.

Agree with this. Not gonna lie not much left for $1000 that isn't beat to hell or needs major work. You're better off saving more and putting that towards a nicer condition game. Even the "deals" you find at $1000 all said and done you could be looking at another $3-400 to get it up to snuff.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Herk:

I don't need the permission. It's about respect. We're paying for a wedding, so it would be pretty shitty of me to drop a grand on something un-wedding related without at least discussing it.

Dude, its really shitty of you not to figure out a way to incorporate the pin into the wedding.....pretty direspectful to the hobby!

Good luck with wedding!....just a few bucks more....could score you a High speed or F14

#30 6 years ago

Do you know other collectors in the area? I would think anything decent in that price range would not last long on things like craigslist. Everyone wants a good, cheap game. If you ask around and network you might find someone who has a project game or something a bit rough that would deal. Sometimes these guys are not in a hurry to sell and/or don't want to deal with the online selling thing. Honestly, I agree with others to save a little more and find something a bit better.

#31 6 years ago

I think the same, save a little more and have patience, I have made mistakes for impatient, greetings and congratulations for the wedding

#32 6 years ago

Blackout, Meteor, Power Play, Countdown,Stars, Flash, Firepower, Night Rider, Joker Poker, Alien Poker, so many good ones! This is my comfort zone!

#33 6 years ago

Sinbad, Merteor, Mr/Ms pacman are the best sub 1K games right now. Eight Ball are Strikes and Spares are good ones to look for too.

#34 6 years ago

I am going to cast my vote for a Flash also . A very fun early SS machine that I have seen many times for $700-$800 . If you have EM machines now this a game that will be a notch better with sound instead of chimes.

#35 6 years ago

I've had a few wanted ads out looking for a Flash. But haven't had any bites yet!

#36 6 years ago

Buy 3 sheets of PDI glass. Then you can argue that you need pins to go with it.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dennis423:

Black Knight
    High Speed
    Meteor

Where can you get a high speed for under 1k?

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Where can you get a high speed for under 1k?

Or a Black Knight. I'd be all over that!

#39 6 years ago

A deposit on TNA

#40 6 years ago

I'd save my money to buy a decent game.

#41 6 years ago

Sadly not much anymore. I would look for an early 80’s machine.

#42 6 years ago

Eight Ball Champ and Sinbad are both titles that I've purchased in the past year for under $1k. Both are a lot of fun for the money! Classic Bally's and games like High Speed are tough to find for under a grand these days.

#43 6 years ago

Here in Florida I can’t find Legs under 1k.

#44 6 years ago

I picked up a Flash Gordon and a Flight 2000 in a bundle deal for 500 bucks. Both worked and are currently being restored. That’s not common but those deals come up every once in a while.

#45 6 years ago

Ok, didn't like the first idea. How about you use the $1000 your "fiance" gave you to buy her something nice?

#46 6 years ago

sock away cash until you get to the $2500 range.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

sock away cash until you get to the $2500 range.

But make sure you run it buy your "fiance" first.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Volley
    Sinbad

I +1 for sinbad! Also a space shuttle. I’m loosely looking for a project space shuttle too.

#49 6 years ago

What does a PA wedding cost anyway?

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

What does a PA wedding cost anyway?

$50 bucks?

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youve-got-a-1000-what-do-you-buy?hl=michigandad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.