Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Herk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2052 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    72050bb43547c75896b6afa0c9b98815c9cf97d4.jpg
    40E8174D-194D-4260-927E-976F691AF2C1 (resized).jpeg
    8F1128D5-2A9C-4F1D-B577-F98D2CCCF9D7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4024 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4023 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4021 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4019 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4012 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4011 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4008 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4009 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4010 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    12c (resized).jpg

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

Lol 1000

#52 6 years ago

All you NIB Prima Donna's are harsh and suckers! I'll take my classics any day of the week! A dozen em/ early SS or 2 Sterns? Seems pretty obvious, all the"code" you pay for is much better left to video games.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

What does a PA wedding cost anyway?

I would say same as anywhere else and not worth the cost. Money would be better spent on down payment for house, student loans, or pinball.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I would say same as anywhere else and not worth the cost. Money would be better spent on down payment for house, student loans, or pinball.

No doubt, I wish I had that cash back! The wife loved it though, it was worth it for her.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

All you NIB Prima Donna's are harsh and suckers! I'll take my classics any day of the week! A dozen em/ early SS or 2 Sterns? Seems pretty obvious, all the"code" you pay for is much better left to video games.

I'm glad you enjoy your junk.

#56 6 years ago

hot tip, target alpha, countdown.... and a case of beer. something with drop targets and not a deep ruleset so you can enjoy the beer and the pin

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'm glad you enjoy ice, curling, and wishing video games were pinball machines. The great thing about this hobby is that we can all enjoy different things! Can we agree on that!

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'd save my money to buy a decent game.

Quoted from Spencer:

What does a PA wedding cost anyway?

Quoted from Spencer:

12c (resized).jpg12c (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago

Seems it's customary in these types of threads to list games that are not actually in the op's price range, but I'll give a more realistic scenario. I recently tried getting a cheap game just to see how enjoyable it would be in a home environment and just to try something totally different. Ended up with Alien Poker for < $1000 and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it! True it's a basic game but it was fun, voices were great and it looked really colorful when fully led'd. I didn't keep it long just because space is always tight, but if I had room I would have kept it.

#60 6 years ago

Eight ball, cowpoke, stern magic. All tough to find for 1k though.

#61 6 years ago

does it ever happen when a wife/girlfriend wants to buy something and says she needs permission from the "man" do move forward? or, "i have to check with my husband first"?
    what if man wants it and woman doesn't. its a 1 vote. what if its always like that?
    so the man cant enjoy what he wants to get, but a woman can get a pair of shoes and purse of the same cost with no input from the boyfriend?

Just asking as im curious, not trolling.
    I 've never seen a woman say she needs permission to get something. they just do it.

#62 6 years ago

A new TV.

#63 6 years ago

You're in a pretty good location to find EM's!

Hit CL. You'll find one that you like, well in your price range.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures when you find it.

E

#64 6 years ago

Especially when you have to quote your own posts because no one is bitting...

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Herk:

I don't need the permission. It's about respect. We're paying for a wedding, so it would be pretty shitty of me to drop a grand on something un-wedding related without at least discussing it.

Respect would be not even bringing up buying a pinball if there needs to be a discussion about $1000. Since you needed “the go ahead”, clearly money is tight and you need to get your priorities straight.
    Pinball money should be money that is complete disposable. Start saving on the side and then buy

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Herk:

I don't need the permission. It's about respect. We're paying for a wedding, so it would be pretty shitty of me to drop a grand on something un-wedding related without at least discussing it.

Weddings are such a waste of some serious cash. Think about the nice down payment on a home, or school loans paid off or a few nice pinball machines that would buy. Never did understand why people drop so much dough on what is basically a hour of babble and a drunk fest.

#67 6 years ago

Picked up a Comet for just above $1000 a few weeks ago. It has full LED and new Pinscore displays. Playfield is a bit rough, but going to hardtop.
    Hadn't played one in quite a while, forgot how much fun that one is. Seen a couple others listed on here and ebay recently for under $1000. Looking at the archives on here the recent ones are mostly between $750 and $1250.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Respect would be not even bringing up buying a pinball if there needs to be a discussion about $1000. Since you needed “the go ahead”, clearly money is tight and you need to get your priorities straight.
    Pinball money should be money that is complete disposable. Start saving on the side and then buy

I don't think spending limits without discussion are a bad idea. My wife and I typically talk about purchases greater then $500. I would agree with the OP it's not just about money.

#69 6 years ago

A CL search in your area doesn't turn up too much. A Night Rider EM with one crappy picture and a $1075 asking price and a worn Sky Jump for $900. Hold on to the money and be patient would be my advice. Something better is bound to show up eventually. Good luck!

#70 6 years ago

I did a within 200 miles search:
    Decent looking Old Chicago asking $1200 philadelphia.craigslist.org link
    Worn Bon Voyage for $550 harrisburg.craigslist.org link
    Decent looking Count Down with Pascal board for $1025 pittsburgh.craigslist.org link (that could be a winner in my book)
    Nice Volley for $975 scranton.craigslist.org link (another really fun game)

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

Hold on to the money and be patient would be my advice. Something better is bound to show up eventually.

No doubt good advice. Patience has paid off nicely for me recently. I would think something nice will show up between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg soon enough.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

No doubt good advice. Patience has paid off nicely for me recently. I would think something nice will show up between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg soon enough.

A lack of patience bit me more often than I care for. It's hard to be patient when cash is burning a hole into your pocket. I would have a look at the Volley and the Count Down with Pascal board. They seem to have potential and warrant closer inspection.

#73 6 years ago

I'd be careful buying something with alot of wear. Unless you're going to keep it forever, the wear might not bother you, but there's a 99% chance it will devalue it for the next guy. On the flip side, if you end up keeping it, 6 months from now you'll wish it wasn't there and kick yourself.

Are you able to work on games? A broken, good SS game can be had for $1,000 pretty easily. I got my Flash for $400 non-working, my Space Shuttle for $625. If you just want something working, take a look at the average prices on here and see what you like and wait for it to come up instead of jumping at the first cheap game.

#74 6 years ago

Qs, viking,8ball deluxe, seawitch, and big game....all found in the last 3 years under 1k each

#75 6 years ago

A players High Speed. Or come up to Western Mass and buy my $900 Arena.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

does it ever happen when a wife/girlfriend wants to buy something and says she needs permission from the "man" do move forward? or, "i have to check with my husband first"?
    what if man wants it and woman doesn't. its a 1 vote. what if its always like that?
    so the man cant enjoy what he wants to get, but a woman can get a pair of shoes and purse of the same cost with no input from the boyfriend?
    Just asking as im curious, not trolling.
    I 've never seen a woman say she needs permission to get something. they just do it.

I dunno, probably just depends on what it is and the given financial situation. We don't really "ask" each other permission to buy stuff that's a reasonable (to us) cost, like a video game for me or a purse or something she wants. I've picked up cheap 300-400 dollar games on a whim without mentioning it before hand because I'm comfortable that amount is reasonable within the context of our financial situation. When I got the NASCAR I just picked up it was obviously more, so we talked about it, took a look at the budget for the next few months, and went and grabbed it. I think "asking" has a bad connotation alot of the time - I've never really understood people who can't openly discuss finances with their husband/wife. There isn't really much "asking" between us since we know what each other likes to spend money on hobby wise, but more just a reasonable approach to make sure we aren't putting ourselves in a bad financial position for pinball machines and jeans. I wish we were in a situation where I didn't have to worry about grabbing a 2K game, but I'm also very thankfull we're in a situation where we can figure out when it works for us, which is pretty good compared to some people out there!

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from ejacques:

A players High Speed. Or come up to Western Mass and buy my $900 Arena.

How do you like that Arena? There's one in the area for a $1250 asking price.

#78 6 years ago

You should get on that Countdown with the Pascal board. Great game! It was the second game I bought and for me it's a keeper. It has the one more game thing down cold!

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

You should get on that Countdown with the Pascal board. Great game! It was the second game I bought and for me it's a keeper. It has the one more game thing down cold!

That one is most definitely worth a follow up. Good game with expensive hardware. If it doesn't have any undisclosed defects well worth the money.

#80 6 years ago

Best non EM I know of that can usually be found for under $1000 in decent shape is 1978 Stern Stars.

#81 6 years ago

2 shotgun shells and a preacher?

#82 6 years ago

For whatever reason I want a Waterworld.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

For whatever reason I want a Waterworld.

Where could you find that for under 1k? I’d jump on that immediately.

#84 6 years ago

I found a nice playing pinbot on Craigslist for 1k. I play that game all the time.

#85 6 years ago

Not a whitewater, a Gottlieb Waterworld. I have a hard time believing those are over $1000.

#86 6 years ago

An option you might not have thought of is doing a trade for some of your current machines + the cash you have for something you might really enjoy.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Not a whitewater, a Gottlieb Waterworld. I have a hard time believing those are over $1000.

You'd probably be lucky to find one for under $1500. I know of one near me and it's selling for $1800. I think $1500-$2000 is the current asking price for Waterworld.

#88 6 years ago

I'd look for a early solid state and avoid the EM's unless you know how to work on them. If you can find a semi or non working SS in that price range I'd jump on it. Easier to work on and, IMO, more fun.

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Qs, viking,8ball deluxe, seawitch, and big game....all found in the last 3 years under 1k each

Ignore him, he's a lucky mofo but all true, he could probably add several paragons in varying condition

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I found a nice playing pinbot on Craigslist for 1k. I play that game all the time.

That sounds like a great deal!

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Where can you get a high speed for under 1k?

Bought my HS on Pinside last May for $1000.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dom1:

An option you might not have thought of is doing a trade for some of your current machines + the cash you have for something you might really enjoy.

I'd be all for that. However, it seems like people that have SS and newer machines aren't interested in EM's.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Herk:

I'd be all for that. However, it seems like people that have SS and newer machines aren't interested in EM's.

This is true but You never what could happen and it doesn't hurt to try. Just a thought.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Most DMD pins you can get at least $1500 for unless it's totally trashed.

#95 6 years ago

You can always buy my Devil's Dare...hell, I'll even give you back 50.00 change!

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

You can always buy my Devil's Dare...hell, I'll even give you back 50.00 change!

Looks like you’re too far away!

#97 6 years ago

If it didn't have the million point shot off the plunge I'd love it a lot more. The drop target "guards" are cool and the sound is awesome. Ramp is satisfying and I do like the concept of the upper playfield "bagatelle".

Quoted from Herk:

How do you like that Arena? There's one in the area for a $1250 asking price.

#98 6 years ago

Picked up a nice Strikes & Spares for $900. Bally Playboy, too.

Granted, that was a few years ago and I'm on the west coast, where deals are harder to come by.

#99 6 years ago

There's a Hot Shots a few hours away that's pretty nice and works well for $900. And a Cue Ball Wizard that has some cosmetic issues and a board that gets hot if left on for $1200.
    I had someone on here message me about a Blackout and I was very interested. But he appears to have had a change of heart, or fallen off the face of the earth.
    That's where I am currently.

#100 6 years ago

I'd get a beater classic Stern, Bally, or Williams game from the late 70's/early 80's. I find they play great when properly tuned up. Then again, I'm willing to deal with worn pf's, broken plastics etc because for me it's all about getting the game playing fast and mean. I think that generation of games was the most creative and challenging (and for me, most enjoyable too) while maintaining relatively simple rule sets/playfield layouts. I love many games that came before and after them, but i think that generation had the most consistent selection of great games. I'm thinking Meteor, Stars, Nine Ball, Seawitch, Flight 2000, Harlem Globetrotters, Playboy, Mata Hari, Eight Ball, Xenon, Paragon, Firepower, Black Knight, Gorgar, Sorcerer, etc. There's plenty I'm missing too. Some of these titles are gonna be hard to find for $1k, i suppose. Some of them are gonna be hard to find at all! Tells you something about how well-loved these games are...

Any chance you're planning on going to the Allentown show in May? I imagine $1k could get you something fun.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youve-got-a-1000-what-do-you-buy/page/2?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.