Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ReadyPO
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinafterdeath (resized).jpg
    32AD500F-1846-4B77-A922-20297A80411F (resized).png
    2F724B15-09CC-4034-9800-40A0D3C30676 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.png
    parts_001 (resized).jpg
    star_wars_03 (resized).jpg
    star_wars_01 (resized).jpg
    selling_03 (resized).jpg
    selling_02 (resized).jpg
    2010s_01 (resized).jpg
    2000s_02a (resized).jpg
    2000s_01a (resized).jpg
    1990s_01a (resized).jpg
    1980s_01a (resized).jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

Ok, so where do you believe your machines will be 5 years after you are dead.

540A9FC4-68DA-46C5-A836-5A7342202C98 (resized).jpeg540A9FC4-68DA-46C5-A836-5A7342202C98 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

"Your".....

"You're" is a contraction for "You are", so your sentence would read "You are pins after your death", which is much more interesting to think about...I want to be T2.

Other than that, 8 or 10 of mine will be bequeathed, the rest sold. The wife will keep a few, i know.

#3 3 years ago

My kids already have dibs on some of my machines, their favorites, then just sell the rest unless they split the rest. My wife only likes certain ones, but after she dies, they go to my kids.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

"Your".....
    "You're"

I read the thread title as when we die, we will be reincarnated as pinball machines.

#5 3 years ago

Sold... my kids are not interested in stuff. I told my wife she could cremate me and stick me in the coin box of my IJ if she felt like keeping me around... she didn't think that was funny.

#6 3 years ago

I’m having all my games auctioned off to benefit the Global Apostrophe Education Foundation.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I read the thread title as when we die, we will be reincarnated as pinball machines.

And people think punctuation isn't important......

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:I’m having all my games auctioned off to benefit the Global Apostrophe Education Foundation.

I see what you did there... My wife will have them sold day after the funeral. 100 bucks a pop ...her words lol

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

"Your".....
    "You're" is a contraction for "You are", so your sentence would read "You are pins after your death", which is much more interesting to think about...I want to be T2.
    Other than that, 8 or 10 of mine will be bequeathed, the rest sold. The wife will keep a few, i know.

Corrected! Thanks!

#10 3 years ago

I'm thinking to save on cremation costs any beater games , cabinets will be good fuel...

#11 3 years ago

Well, it could read :

“Let’s eat, grandma”

Or “Let’s eat grandma”

It’s all in the punctuation

#12 3 years ago

I have thought about this and have designated one person that would know the value of the pins so that my family could get a fair price from them.

On the other hand, I just might instruct this person to list them all on Pinside for $10 each just to start a feeding frenzy!

#13 3 years ago

I’m taking mine with me into the afterlife.

#14 3 years ago

In the family safe is the phone numbers of several good friends that would help my wife deal with them. Since she really has no interest or knowledge of value, I thought that this was the best way

#16 3 years ago

Through the years, a few people have mentioned leaving me a game or two for my events so others could enjoy them.

Hasn't happened yet. Which makes me glad. I don't want to lose people that are thinking of others.

LTG : )

#17 3 years ago

My wife acts like she’s going to save them for sentimental value. Yea right.

#18 3 years ago

My will states that I am to be buried in my TZ.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Corrected! Thanks!

This is refreshing to see. Too many people get defensive when they are corrected.

As for the original question, I have a buddy with a few pins who told his wife to contact me if something happens to him because he trusts me to help sell them for fair value. I told my wife to do the same thing in reverse.

#20 3 years ago

If it happens later in life and my wife is set financially (house paid off, plenty in the bank, etc), I'd like them all to be donated to PAPA so they can be enjoyed long after I'm gone. If my wife isn't financially set then they would have to be sold to help with finances.

#21 3 years ago

I have also thought of this and I have actually asked a few friends who I know won't rip my wife and kids off to 'help' her to sell the games. Help, not buy. I also have from my collectibles insurance policy a list of everything with values updated annually so she knows a 'ballpark' of what things are worth so nobody will pull the wool over her eyes.

I will tell you guys this - I have seem to many times than I care to mention where assholes will swoop in once someone passes and try to badger or steal from a widow. Do yourself a favor - get a pinball friend you can each protect each other's wives / kids in the event they need someone to lean on. Put it in your will if you so wish... This also enables the family to tell people who badger them about selling this or that to back off and deal with the friend. Many times people looking to take advantage will back off if they know they have to deal with someone knowledgeable. I've seen despicable things, mostly with higher end rare antique arcade stuff where people after being told no actually show up at a widows house and said widow has had to call a friend of her husband crying saying 'he's sitting at the kitchen table, what do I do'... etc... People can be assholes. We all have a good amount of dough in our collections - make sure you are protecting them for your heirs same as you do any other asset. Then do yourself a favor and find a friend as I described to help and run interference if / when needed. I've actually bought games from intermediaries like this when approached with the 'So and so passed away, I'm helping his wife, here is the list and values we assigned, let me know if you are interested in anything' - and everything goes smoothly for everyone.

#22 3 years ago

I told my wife to sell my pins on CL using “asking, but not sold” EBay pricing as her reference.

I told her use terms like “rare” and “freshly shopped” and if a pin doesn’t work say “probably just a fuse” or play dumb and say “last worked before my husband got killed climbing Mount Everest.”.

I love her. Its the least I could do.

#23 3 years ago

Also don't lie about what you paid for the games. Maybe even keep track of current values, as they rise and fall.

Don't ever tell a wife you got that $10K pin for a hundred bucks. She may sell it for $100 and think she got a good deal.

LTG : )

#24 3 years ago

Caucasian2Step please reconsider your will . Would be terrible waste great pin . Alternate suggestion get cremated and remains pressed into every crevase , playfield inserts. , light bulbs and all sockets . All coils , plungers as well. Bonus would be a mod to blow puff of your dust on the playfield when Powerball jackpot awarded .

Be well SHANE

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

y will states that I am to be buried in my TZ.

Hmmm... I thought you would pick the Defender! Then you could be the ghost in the machine!

#26 3 years ago

You can tell that this question brings up a lot of emotion from some people that are really attached to their machines. I am like one guy above that says "who cares?" I sure won't be playing them any more after I move on. My better half does have a pretty good idea of the value of the machines, so she will likely sell them immediately and purchase what she wants. I don't think she will need any help doing that either. She is fully grown and will attempt to recoup the appropriate amount, I assure you... There will be no emotional attachment remaining.

#27 3 years ago

I’m gonna be buried with them ....

#28 3 years ago

It depends on which one of use dies first. If I go first I think she will keep them around for a while and then sell them off as maintaining them is not her thing. Maybe take them all to the PATZ auction in my honor....LOL.
    If she goes first, we'll they will stay here until I think the time is right and again the games along with everything else I own will get sold at some point (again probably an auction) and all the money will go to the local Humane Society since there will be nobody else to leave the money too.

John

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

It depends on which one of use dies first. If I go first I think she will keep them around for a while and then sell them off as maintaining them is not her thing. Maybe take them all to the PATZ auction in my honor....LOL.
    If she goes first, we'll they will stay here until I think the time is right and again the games along with everything else I own will get sold at some point (again probably an auction) and all the money will go to the local Human Society since there will be nobody to leave this stuff or the money from them too.
    John

#30 3 years ago

Maybe some here will find this interesting... maybe not...

My Father got me into this hobby… he collected Jukeboxes from 1969 until his sudden and unexpected death in 2015.
    He had over 30 Jukeboxes, and a handful Pinball Machines and arcade games.

I won't get into the details of everything that happened, but my father and step mother didn't have a will yet (they had an appointment the next month to do one) and after a lot of fighting I ended up being the one to sell all of his machines (It was a little over a year of Hell).

All of these were sold (yes sold… even to me, I had to buy them from the estate)

2 Jukeboxes, 1 Pinball, and 3 arcade games were kept by my Step Mother. She recently sold the house and only kept 1 of the jukeboxes…. One arcade game went to my cousin, the rest I have no idea what happened to.
    6 Jukeboxes, 6 Pinball, and 3 arcade games were kept by me. I still have all of those but had to sell off a lot of my stuff to keep them.
    1 Jukebox went to my step sister.
    5 Jukeboxes and a coke machine went to my father’s best friend and fellow collector in Maine.
    5 Jukeboxes (and a ton of parts and other odds and ends) went to a Jukebox Collector/Flipper in Connecticut.
    1 Jukebox went to a guy who was just getting into the hobby in New York.
    1 Jukebox went to a family in New Jersey who wanted a jukebox to put in their retro kitchen and house their collection of reggae records.
    3 Jukeboxes went to a collector in the same town my father lived in who had never met each other
    1 Jukebox and 3 arcade games went to an island off the coast of Maine to a small town that use to be a Military Base… they have a common area in an old bowling alley with a little arcade for the residents.
    2 Pinballs were sold to a local junk guy… he sold one of those to a Bowling Alley in Gloucester, Ma. The other one went to another local collector (Ace), who then sold it to someone ells…. And last year I found It on display at Pintastic and had a great conversation about the machine with the new owners.
    1 Jukebox went to a local pinball club (the Sanctum).
    1 Pinball went to a collector in MA.
    2 Arcade Game went to a friend of mine and fellow collectors in NH.
    1 Arcade Game and 2 Pinballs went to friends of mine, fellow collectors, and members here in MA.
    1 Jukebox, 1 Pinball, and one Arcade games went to my cousin in NH.
    1 Jukebox went to New England Jukebox in Connecticut.
    1 Pinball went to a friends of mine and fellow collector in NH, then he sold it to another friend of mine in MA., who then sold it to another friend of mine in HN.
    1 Arcade Game went to the Pinball Wizard Arcade

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but as you can see they ended up all over. I had a few offers on machines to sell them over sea, but I’m not interested in doing that, so I would just reject those offers.

~Jeff

1980s_01a (resized).jpg1980s_01a (resized).jpg1990s_01a (resized).jpg1990s_01a (resized).jpg2000s_01a (resized).jpg2000s_01a (resized).jpg2000s_02a (resized).jpg2000s_02a (resized).jpg2010s_01 (resized).jpg2010s_01 (resized).jpgselling_02 (resized).jpgselling_02 (resized).jpgselling_03 (resized).jpgselling_03 (resized).jpgstar_wars_01 (resized).jpgstar_wars_01 (resized).jpgstar_wars_03 (resized).jpgstar_wars_03 (resized).jpgparts_001 (resized).jpgparts_001 (resized).jpg
    #31 3 years ago

I don't really care. I'd hope my kids would want to keep at least a few of them to remember me by, but if they need the money, or just don't want my games, that's fine too...

#32 3 years ago

My pins are going to be charged with murder, it will be they who kill me from working on them!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

My Father got me into this hobby… he collected Jukeboxes from 1969 until his sudden and unexpected death in 2015.
    I won't get into the details of everything that happened, but my father and step mother didn't have a will yet (they had an appointment the next month to do one) and after a lot of fighting I ended up being the one to sell all of his machines (It was a little over a year of Hell).
    All of these were sold (yes sold… even to me, I had to buy them from the estate)
    2 Jukeboxes, 1 Pinball, and 3 arcade games were kept by my Step Mother. She recently sold the house and only kept 1 of the jukeboxes…. One arcade game went to my cousin, the rest I have no idea what happened to.
    6 Jukeboxes, 6 Pinball, and 3 arcade games were kept by me. I still have all of those but had to sell off a lot of my stuff to keep them.
    5 Jukeboxes and a coke machine went to my father’s best friend and fellow collector in Maine.
    5 Jukeboxes (and a ton of parts and other odds and ends) went to a Jukebox Collector/Flipper in Connecticut.
    1 Jukebox went to a family in New Jersey who wanted a jukebox to put in their retro kitchen and house their collection of reggae records.
    3 Jukeboxes went to a collector in the same town my father lived in who had never met each other
    1 Jukebox and 3 arcade games went to an island off the coast of Maine to a small town that use to be a Military Base… they have a common area in an old bowling alley with a little arcade for the residents.
    2 Pinballs were sold to a local junk guy… he sold one of those to a Bowling Alley in Gloucester, Ma. The other one went to another local collector (Ace), who then sold it to someone ells…. And last year I found It on display at Pintastic and had a great conversation about the machine with the new owners.
    1 Arcade Game and 2 Pinballs went to friends of mine, fellow collectors, and members here in MA.
    1 Pinball went to a friends of mine and fellow collector in NH, then he sold it to another friend of mine in MA., who then sold it to another friend of mine in HN.
    I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but as you can see they ended up all over. I had a few offers on machines to sell them over sea, but I’m not interested in doing that, so I would just reject those offers.
    ~Jeff[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

~Jeff[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool story and pics!

#35 3 years ago

Mine will be sold at Christmas to maximize profits.......10K each!

#36 3 years ago

I had a talk with my wife about what to do with them if i was gone. Told her the red file in my cabinet has a list with what I think they should sell for and how to advertise them. She honestly thought I was keeping something health related from her. Her reasoning for thinking that was because If i was willing to even talk about selling the machines something must be eating away at my brain or seriously wrong.

#37 3 years ago

....Older women Posted on Facebook Market.“PingPong 5 ball Zombie game.” For sale $1500 Firm. Her son passed away 1 Year ago and this machine was taking up to much space. A crappie picture was posted. Guess what it was....

#38 3 years ago

am i the only person who felt like it would be a curse to open this thread?

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Ok, so where do you believe your machines will be 5 years after you are dead.
    [quoted image]

Not sure, but as a guy sitting here with 2 brain tumors in my head, I gave my wife the number of a local pinhead friend of mine so that he could help her sell my game if I die.. I only have one game so it should be pretty easy for her.

#40 3 years ago

I keep a spreadsheet with game details. Where, when, whom I purchased from. Value when purchased, what I paid, and updates on value every so often.

Since my wife loves pinball and I assume I pass before her (statistically) then I assume she keeps her favorites for a while and sells some over time. With somewhere around 100 pins it will be a big task so hopefully she bleeds a few out every year.

If she does not care to deal with it, then I have trusted friends that have no room so they will be happy to help her get fair prices and just keep 1 for the help

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

....Older women Posted on Facebook Market.“PingPong 5 ball Zombie game.” For sale $1500 Firm. Her son passed away 1 Year ago and this machine was taking up to much space. A crappie picture was posted. Guess what it was....

TWD

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Maybe take them all to the PATZ auction in my honor....LOL.

No offense, but I hope I outlive you just to see that auction.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Did zizzle do a TWD pin?

#44 3 years ago

It was TWD Premium.

#45 3 years ago

Not sure yet whether my two-year-old son will give a rat's ass about pinball. At minimum I hope he would keep Volley, which at this point I consider a family heirloom. It's the first pin I can remember playing as a kid, when I tagged along with my dad to the pool hall. Not just any Volley; this exact machine.

If he thinks it's all a bunch of old man crap, then I hope he gets top dollar and uses the money to spend a year backpacking around the world. Something I never did and wish every young person had the opportunity to do.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

My will states that I am to be buried in my TZ.

I think Caucasian2Step is totally serious!!! Not a bad idea...My TZ is definitely "sarcophagus-grade"! SUO!

#47 3 years ago

Sorry, topic just reminded me of this three amigos quote.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.pngexternal-content.duckduckgo.com.png

#48 3 years ago

I am single, so my guess is that my cats will continue to lie around on them. That is, until someone figures out that I have passed. Then someone in my family can figure out what they want to do with them.

#49 3 years ago

It's the kids problem....

Though, I should probably have the "talk" with them now - "If, someday, I die in a horrible lift table accident... who gets Abra?". To which, they'll respond - "What's a lift table?"

Like I said...

#50 3 years ago

Whatever my wife and kids want to do with them.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youre-pins-after-your-death?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.