(Topic ID: 12483)

Your WORST deal and BEST deal

By Slate

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield_middle.jpg
    PDR_0339.JPG
    playfield_stripped.jpg
    PDR_0881.JPG
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Was some thread on ES and F14 pricing and it was a frenzy. Was curious to what everyones worst and best deal was after factoring fixing it up and where it stands today in value.

My worst would have to be Strikes and Spares years ago when I did not know anything about pinball. The playfield was down to wood. I thought it was easy to fix (decals) and I was wrong.
    Paid $500 for it and after painting it it still looks like ass.

My BEST deal may be TOTAN. Bought right off route for $2700 last year. Was covered in dust, selenoid was fried and looked rough. After I got it home and started cleaning it I realized it was mint. Cab 100%, back box, playfield 100%. Put about $500 in LED's, gold legs, new coin door.
    Looks like it came out of the factory now.

#2 12 years ago

PM was my worst deal as I am still trying to fix the board for the lamps.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

PM was my worst deal as I am still trying to fix the board for the lamps.

Same thing here

#4 12 years ago

Hmmmm.....

I've had lots of good deals...only way I buy them I bought 4 games once for $1K and one of the four was a decent HS. I bought a working T2 for $200. It was just covered in grime (had been stored in a metal shop with glass off). Found a near HUO CP for $1700 (let a friend of mine have that one). I usually don't buy unless it's 20 to 40% under market. I don't get to be picky, but I get to try lots of different games.

My WORST deal was a EBC I paid $300 for. Pulled the mylar and 50% of the paint came with it. Sold it for $300.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

TheLaw said:PM was my worst deal as I am still trying to fix the board for the lamps.
    Same thing here

With a Pinball Magic or another game?

#6 12 years ago

best deal(s) is either Whitewater for $900 or Dale Jr. for $700.

Worst is CFTBL at 3300. Just got money back on that one.

#7 12 years ago

HOw did you locate a Whitewater for $900? What a deal!

#8 12 years ago

I paid 500 for HS2 sweet deal

#9 12 years ago

Pin bot in great shape for 400 was my best. Worst. I dunno, I have been pretty happy so far.

#10 12 years ago

the best i've ever done is break even

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

HOw did you locate a Whitewater for $900? What a deal!

I got a whitewater last sept for $1000. Missing the CPU board and topper.
    I got a new board for less than $200 and the topper and decal (no mirror effect) for $70.

Wish I had a real moving sim topper. Anyway for $1500 finished with LED's was a great deal.

Those deals make up for all the bad ones. So in the end everything works out. I paid too much for a Judge Dreed and have 2k rolled into it at in the end and the cab is not the best. So live and learn.

#12 12 years ago

Simpsons Pinball Party (HUO) for $1000.00 was my best. Haven't had a bad one yet, but I'm sure I will.....

#13 12 years ago

$200 IJ
    $300 TAF
    $300 FH

worst deals.. I don't think about those

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

$200 IJ
    $300 TAF
    $300 FH
    worst deals.. I don't think about those

You suck

#15 12 years ago

Worst: FPII, still cant get that thing working perfectly, and it is down to wood. good news is I only paid 150.

#16 12 years ago

Wouldn't say worst purchase, but certainly my most uneasy purchase was my MM for 6200- @ the time, many pundits on RGP were claiming that MM was only a 4500 pin. It was listed on my local CL and it was the topic of the Price Police on what a used, average MM should be worth on RGP.

Felt queasy pealing back the 100's when I paid for it. I had double the apprehension because I had a deposit with Wayne on one of his reproductions and I was waiting for a refund. I couldn't talk to anybody because I really did not want to explain, or justify spending that type of money on a "toy".

Cutting to the lesson, as soon as I got it home I was happy. Glad I ignored what people thought. As the late Ricky Nelson said, "ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

#17 12 years ago

When did you grab that MM? I would guess the majority would say that is a very good price currently

#18 12 years ago

I bought my TAF for $200 (might have been $300). It was a long time ago.

Paid market for the TZ. I only have 2 machines so the sample size is dinky

#19 12 years ago

Best: Roy Clark The Entertainer cocktail pin - $30... Or Special Force - $45 (raffle though)

Worst: T3 - $1900. Not that bad, but I didn't really like he game.

#20 12 years ago

Best: F14 for $450. (Near mint PF too!)
    Worst: Haven't had one, yet...

#21 12 years ago

Worst.. I drove 100 miles to buy a Laser War for $ 650.00 , and it lOOked like Hell when i saw it. I would've Cursed and Raised Mortal Hell , But he Promised me he would Hook me up w/ a GNR ..
    The GNR Never Happened .. I Lost $$ sell-n the LW also.. But i shop'd it and add'd Led's ..

.Best Deal ,, I'll mention the TZ and TOM that i got Last month ..
    That's All I'm Gonna say !!

#22 12 years ago

worst was my hs2, due to condition of the head being bashed up $1800 i feel i overpaid but was only my 2nd pin so didnt know enough.

best was probably my new corvette HUO for $2250 like new!

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

When did you grab that MM? I would guess the majority would say that is a very good price currently

Got it in 09

Looks good now, but then it was the start of our current recession and I didn't know if I was spending money on something that would depreciate.

So, I probably paid a little over market at the time, but everything turned out great in the end. I just didn't enjoy the stress at the time.

#24 12 years ago

Best deals -
    My first Cactus Canyon - $1500
    T2 - $100 in raffle tickets
    Restored and ultimately sold both. I'm on CC#3 now.

Luckily I have no worst deal, unless you count the NOS CC playfield I sold for $300...

#25 12 years ago

best $450 High speed 100% working very minimal wear as ball enters playfield.
    worst$2000 TFTC Nice shape but unshopped 100% working.

#26 12 years ago

I feel like a tool for paying that amount for either of them after reading the 200-500 posts on top of the A list titles. Where do you get that kind of deal without straight up screwing people?

#27 12 years ago

This thread needs to be re-worded as a good deal at the time of value for comparitvely speaking. Obviously a 6000 dollar MM is a good deal today. In 2005 I would hardly call that a good deal. Hell every pin ever purchased as far back as 4 years ago could be considered a good deal today.

Paying brand new prices for a NIB pin in the 1990s would probably be considerd a good deal today.

I have WAY more stories of pinballs that I should have bought years ago that couldnt be touched in todays market. I wouldnt call those good deals though, thats what said machines were worth back then.

#28 12 years ago

Worst, Popeye 1900
    Best, BSM 4100

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Wouldn't say worst purchase, but certainly my most uneasy purchase was my MM for 6200- @ the time, many pundits on RGP were claiming that MM was only a 4500 pin. It was listed on my local CL and it was the topic of the Price Police on what a used, average MM should be worth on RGP.
    Felt queasy pealing back the 100's when I paid for it. I had double the apprehension because I had a deposit with Wayne on one of his reproductions and I was waiting for a refund. I couldn't talk to anybody because I really did not want to explain, or justify spending that type of money on a "toy".
    Cutting to the lesson, as soon as I got it home I was happy. Glad I ignored what people thought. As the late Ricky Nelson said, "ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

Speaking of the Wayne MM project, has anyone NOT got the money refunded ?

#30 12 years ago

I came close to getting a $450 LAH, but I passed on it since the playfield was completely thrashed.

#31 12 years ago

Worst deal was on one of the first pins I bought: Xenon... the face had been repainted BAD (one eye was bigger than thge other, mouth all wrong...) front glass was missing, electronics were a basket case... generally a wreck... paid £500 ($800), bought a replacement playfield for it that was also not great for another £150, and a smoked glass for around £50 (total now £700, $1100)... Ended up selling the game non-working for £500 after finding a better example... This left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for pinball (I was hustled by the seller to be honest), and in an attempt to get rid of this bad taste, I started buying pins that were a good deal in order to sell for some profit to recover the loss on the Xenon... I kind of overshot a bit...

Anyway, best deal was Williams 4 Stars that I got for a crate of beer... not in bad shape either...

#32 12 years ago

Bally X's & O's, dirty, non-working for free.
    Spent a lot time, and 50$, and now 100% working, looks good. 1st. pin.

#33 12 years ago

Best: Minty Gottlieb Neptune - $250

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Speaking of the Wayne MM project, has anyone NOT got the money refunded ?

Took about 5 months and I took a little hit because of currency rate. I believe everybody got their money back, and believe it or not, I think there are still people that have deposits with him.

#35 12 years ago

Worst - not sure yet. $250 for a mostly working Hollywood heat as a retheme donor I suppose; but will expect to "lose" money on the project overall (If I decide to get rid of it later). I suppose the BK is up there as I don't expect I'd get what I paid for it....but don't expect to try either.

Best would be lightly routed SM (~9K plays) for $1800. My guess is the seller did research on Gott TASM pricing.

#36 12 years ago

Best: LW3 and F2K combo for $550 (both cosmetically excellent, but electronic messes). Also a beautiful Surfer for $40.

Worst: Pot O' Gold. Traded a partially working cocktail pin and a few hundred (don't ask...)

#37 12 years ago

Best deal is a tough one. Sometimes the purchase price of a machine can be low but you are right back up to market value with the cost of stuff you end up needing to add to make it 100%. Such is the case for my BSD which I was offered and bought for $900 with no fade and a good playfield. However there were several things I did need to buy which added several hundred to the cost.

BTW- I consider it a deal not because of how much below market value it cost, but how much enjoyment I have gotten for that dollar amount.

Worst deal- Probably GnR for $3900 about 2 years ago. It was a decent specimen, but did require some repairs and a new DMD. Sometimes you get caught up in the hype.

#38 12 years ago

Best: Gottlieb King Pin it was free
    Worst: I would have to go with my Whirlwind. It is my favorite pin of all time so I may be putting a little too much back into it.

#39 12 years ago

Best either HS for $300 or transporter the rescue for $380.
    HS in good unshoped condition
    Transporter the rescue in extremely good condition.
    Worst? Harlem for $275 with a bad board. Acid damage.

#40 12 years ago

Worst deal was my first. A Who Dunnit for $1,500. Not a horrible deal by any means but my worst.

Best deal was my STTNG. $1,100, complete but not working. With a $75 board repair she fired right up. Thanks to Pin_Crazed she is an absolute beauty now and pretty much bulletproofed as much as you can with a STTNG with new cannon harnesses and opto boards. This one is never leaving.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

Best deals -
    My first Cactus Canyon - $1500
    T2 - $100 in raffle tickets
    Restored and ultimately sold both. I'm on CC#3 now.
    Luckily I have no worst deal, unless you count the NOS CC playfield I sold for $300...

Wow. My Best deals do not seem so Best anymore.

#42 12 years ago

Best Deal - 2x DE Simp, R&B, T2, Dr. Dude, BTTF = $1,300
    Worst Deal - ....... don't really have one

#43 12 years ago

I suppose my best deal, looking back, was very early on when I got my first bulk purchase of the following games for £2200 ($3500):

IJ
    CFTBL
    ST:TNG
    FT
    TZ
    Earthshaker
    Radical
    Rapid Fire
    JP
    TG:HS2

All complete and mostly working... Wish I could find another deal like that again... You'd have to pay double what I sold 'em for to get 'em back again...

#44 12 years ago

Best - JM for $700

Worst - DW for $445 (really, the thing was junk)

#45 12 years ago

Tough call.

Probably the best is my early production TZ with white clock and other early features. It is immaculate. Nary a mark on the cabinet or on the playfield. I bought it in November of 1999 for $1250. I have added the door flasher mod and the 3rd magnet. Although I will never sell it unless I have to, it would be minimally in the $6-7.5K range given the condition and early production and the right buyer.

Probably the worst at the time was buying my MM off route in late 2004 for $5800. The prices in the DC area were staring to hit $6k and above, so I was concerned about getting one before they hit the roof. The condition of the cabinet is what sold me. One chip at the bottom of the left side and a small surface scrap at the bottom of the left head. I have shopped it, and it plays flawlessly. There are a couple of inserts that need minimal black touch up, and many of the important parts are NOS bought in 2005: drawbridge, gate, dragon wings, troll heads, Kerry's protector set, troll flap decals, drawbridge decals, stone walkway in castle decal (all decals mylared). In hindsight, although it is the worst purchase, it's value now makes it in the "best" category.

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I suppose my best deal, looking back, was very early on when I got my first bulk purchase of the following games for £2200 ($3500):

IJ
    CFTBL
    ST:TNG
    FT
    TZ
    Earthshaker
    Radical
    Rapid Fire
    JP
    TG:HS2

All complete and mostly working... Wish I could find another deal like that again... You'd have to pay double what I sold 'em for to get 'em back again...

What year was that? What did you sell them for?

Man, that reminds me of something like a dream date you never saw again and cannot forget.

Haunting!

#47 12 years ago

Hmmm, I think the worst purchase I have had would be either my Shadow £575 ($900) but it was pretty beat up, hacked boards, couldn't start a game and the DMD wouldn't come on. Or perhaps my Wh20 which was £940 ($1500) and had some smashed plastics, line out on the display, pretty ropey cabinet and wear around the raft inserts.

I guess both of these purchases aren't really bad, especially it in the current market in the UK, but compared to most of the buys I have had they seem high, I just really wanted both of them!

Over 12 years I have had some pretty strong results to be honest.

The highlights are probably an Elektra, which was free. An IJ for £30 ($50) a proto CV for £160 ($250) and like pinballslave, my first bulk purchase, which was £1400 ($2200) which included

Bad Cats
    Dr Dude
    Diner
    F14 Tomcat
    Judge Dredd
    Getaway HS2
    Millionaire
    Mousin Around
    Street Fighter II
    Party Zone
    Radical
    Silverball Mania x2
    Space Invaders
    Truck Stop
    Super Mario Bros
    Mr and Mrs Pacman

Those were certainly the days!

#48 12 years ago

A $500 Police Force, worth -$50; i.e. I paid $550 too much.

Robert

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from roadshow16:

The highlights are probably an Elektra, which was free. An IJ for £30 ($50) a proto CV for £160 ($250)

Those are amazing deals indeed!! Pretty much impossible to beat those!!

Quoted from MrWizzo:

What year was that? What did you sell them for?

My bulk deal was in 1999... I ended up selling them all eventually but wishing I'd have kept the Radical now because I didn't even play that one, and have never seen one since... The total sale price was £4440 ($7100), so I doubled my money... but could sell them for twice that now easily!!

#50 12 years ago

Best deal: Stargate for $800

Worst deal: Heavy Metal Meltdown $600

We got them both for $1400

But we don't much care for Heavy Metal Meltdown...

Especially when we could have had a Big Guns instead, for the same price.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-worst-deal-and-best-deal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.