(Topic ID: 167098)

Your views on Tilting? Cheating, tactic or blasphemy?

By Playmatic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by rosh
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AR-150429753 (resized).jpg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

If you're playing a game like Iron Man

The problem here is that you wasting your game time/life playing IM

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Quint:

Bang backs and other overly aggressive maneuvers, where damage to the machine may occur, are taking it too far.

I don't understand this. If you can perform a bangback without tilting (and surely that's the idea), then what's the problem? A short, sharp nudge to the front of the machine that doesn't cause a tilt is perfectly acceptable if the ball is about to hit the top of the slingshot, so why is it suddenly going to damage the machine if the ball is rolling along the apron? Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely confused by this.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It amazes me how little respect some people have for other people's property.

You're right. People absolutely make me shake my head. Ever seen how people treat a rental property?

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

"If you aren't tilting - you aren't trying!"

Exactly what I was going to say. That would actually make a great t-shirt.

-Steve

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

You make it sound like he picked it up and kept shaking it till every ball fell out of the lock. That's not how I imagined it. If he gave one good shove and the balls came out, that seems OK to me.

And that would be fine. However, I can't recall any game where the balls would just "shake out" of a physical lock with a "good shove". I did admit I made assumptions...

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

And that would be fine. However, I can't recall any game where the balls would just "shake out" of a physical lock with a "good shove". I did admit I made assumptions...

The game in question had factory software that ejects all balls from the lock(s) on tilt. it had nothing to do with force, and everything to do with the tilt state coming on.

#57 7 years ago

"Nudging" is part of the game - it is what makes pinball what it is. "Tilting" is the penalty for taking it too far.

I know a collector who refuses to nudge or allow anyone to nudge his pins at all - needless to say not many people take him up on his offer to host. While everyone can set the rules for their pins - that just voids the fun - might as well play a video game. However, bang-backs, and walking someone else's pins (no tilt bob) across the floor is a serious faux-pas. I nudge when playing but I always ask the host first and in the event that pins have back-boxes that are almost touching, I make certain to adjust my nudging accordingly so as to not rub the games together. Hitting someone else' pin in frustration (no matter how slight) is also a no-no. Hitting your own pins in frustration sometimes happens though. Swearing at pins while swilling a few beers with your amigos (before, during or after tilting - now that's pinball baby)!

Keep on flippin and nudging guys-n-gals.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I don't understand this. If you can perform a bangback without tilting (and surely that's the idea), then what's the problem? A short, sharp nudge to the front of the machine that doesn't cause a tilt is perfectly acceptable if the ball is about to hit the top of the slingshot, so why is it suddenly going to damage the machine if the ball is rolling along the apron? Not trying to be argumentative, just genuinely confused by this.

bang backs are specifically illegal in the competitions i've been in.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

Exactly what I was going to say. That would actually make a great t-shirt.
    -Steve

Pretty close:

http://www.ddpinball.com/shirts/tilting-is-trying-shirt

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from caylegeorge:

The game in question had factory software that ejects all balls from the lock(s) on tilt. it had nothing to do with force, and everything to do with the tilt state coming on.

That is great info that I don't remember from the podcast. I think that turns tilting into a valid strategy for that machine.

#61 7 years ago

Nudging and tilting are not abusing a game whether it's a HUO machine or not. Slap saves are not abusive either. Now bangbacks and death saves are abusive as well as slamming the lockdown bar, glass, coin door and picking the game up and dropping it (seen at a show tournament on a game someone brought).

#62 7 years ago

Nudging is part of the game if you are playing to win. Do it with respect and not abuse!

#63 7 years ago

My view is that anybody who starts a thread like this is probably at best a poor pinball player and at worst doesn't understand the game at all.

#64 7 years ago

Nudging has always been part of pinball history and tilting is punished in different ways.

Way back in 1949 the tilt forfeit was introduced.

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Thrillhouse:

The problem here is that you wasting your game time/life playing IM

say what? I love my iron man and play it all the time.

as far as nudging, I nudge, slap, push, pull and go crazy until the second warning... then I calm down. pinball machines are not porcelain dolls, and they were built to handle such nudging. now, if you are lifting the machine off its front feet and dropping it, smacking the glass, or lockdown bar, that is when the abuse starts and you gonna get an a$$ kicking... my machine or not. doesn't matter.

just sayin!!

#66 7 years ago

"In my house I remove the Tilt mechs out of the game". - Gary Stern

AR-150429753 (resized).jpgAR-150429753 (resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

I'm not as good at pinball as much as I love it.

And you never will be if you refuse to nudge. It's a basic skill that quickly separates the wheat from the chaff.

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

unlikely to regain control after rattling the crap out of it

God, I wish more of my friends were on here and could vouch for how many times I've walked a ball back up an outlane without tilting. The move would probably make all the watertight-butthole collectors have a heart attack. It basically involves a very rapid shaking of the machine left to right and looks far more violent than it really is. I've done it for YEARS and never damaged anything, and very rarely tilted out on an actual reasonably set tilt (Read: Not PAPA-style.).

I get the worry about "abuse" of a game...I really do...but you're NOT going to damage a pin by moving it a half an inch, or even 6 inches. If I had a dollar for every time my wife has slid Metallica more than a foot, I'd have enough money to replace the damaged FLOORING underneath it! Tilting is just fine. Kicking a game, picking it up and dropping it, keying the cabinet? That's crossed the line.

#69 7 years ago

Nudging the machine trying to extend your game is an imperative skill, straddling the line between a danger warning and a nudge or slide or whatever that saves your ball is key to becoming a better player and you are bound to pick up a tilt here or there.

for example, the other week at a monthly tournament I was on a danger but walked a ball out of the left outlane and picked up a second danger but saved the ball, went on to score high on that ball and beat a top 50 player in the world because I rocked the machine but did not tilt. If i tilted, atleast I tried to save my ball. You have to be willing to test the limits of the machine and know what you can get away with.

Rage Tilting is a no no imo but it happens aswell, and I think the machines can take that abuse but its just not necessary and has no real value (other than letting out some anger I guess ha)

At home or on location I will move machines around but when im playing in another collectors collection I am pretty soft on their machines out of respect

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from caylegeorge:

Hey, when you have all the facts things become clear. No douchebaggery there. Just manipulation (the good kind) of the games rules.

I-fork-T

Thanks Cayle!

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

A short, sharp nudge to the front of the machine that doesn't cause a tilt is perfectly acceptable if the ball is about to hit the top of the slingshot

What you described is an up nudge. Something that IS perfectly acceptable.

This is a bang back :
    http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-bang-back/

"Any players who attempt this maneuver are risking sprained or broken wrists and damage to the pinball machine."

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

Some good replies already. I understand the act of being gentle at home. As far as competitions go, I'm not as good at pinball as much as I love it. I say if i'm going to lose a ball it's fate, tilting to save it just feels wrong.
    Once again, I don't believe I could consider myself great let alone even close to tournament status.
    Tilting is still considered cheating in my home. If I pay for the machine, people better treat her like a lady!
    Quick question: Can tilting damage the leg mounts on a machine? I always assumed it would over time? Do newer machines have some suspension, or do you guys play on carpet?
    Keep up the great advice and thoughts!

at home is where I usually throw my games around. It's everywhere else i'm more gentle. Usually because, at home i'm just screwing around. Anywhere else is for a tournament or league. So it's a little more important, not to tilt out.

#73 7 years ago

Yeah I'm gentle with public machines, just ingrained in my head back in the day. The rough dude that owned an arcade would give you a kick in the ass and throw you out for that, arcades were seedy when I was a kid. I don't play competitively and I don't take it that seriously, so even at home I never tilt, or very very rarely, I nudge a little but only if I was having a very good game.

#74 7 years ago

You don't have to be aggressive to nudge the game enough to save the ball. I'm constantly giving little nudges to direct the bounce off the top of a slingshot, for example. I rarely tilt. I did tighten up the bob on my games when a friend of mine kept going super aggro, but not because he was going to hurt the game, but because I wanted him to learn finesse, as his "nudging" was causing him as many drains as it was saving him. But nobody is going to ruin a game by nudging or pulling or even doing a bang back (though they might ruin their wrist that way). Remember, the game is loaded with different switches designed to shut down the game in the event somebody is being abusive (think rowdy drunks in a bar at 11:30 at night).

Nudging is fun, and has been part of pinball since the beginning. Tilting is nudging without finesse. If I don't get a tilt every once in a while, I definitely feel like I'm not applying myself quite enough.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Quint:

What you described is an up nudge. Something that IS perfectly acceptable.
    This is a bang back :
    http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-bang-back/
    "Any players who attempt this maneuver are risking sprained or broken wrists and damage to the pinball machine."

That page does nothing to explain how a bangback is going to damage a machine or why they are treated differently to any other nudge. On the contrary, the video shows several bangbacks which are clearly not going to cause damage and which don't even trigger tilt warnings. I regularly see much more violent slap saves in competition which don't attract any censure.

#76 7 years ago

If nudging damages your machine, I suggest you do some repair work to get that game up to par. Hard nudging is one way I shake out the flaws on my games to make them bulletproof.

#77 7 years ago

part of any nudging strategy is to a have sense of how tight the tilt is (and ideally how many warnings), and to also know how critical the end of ball bonus is to scoring. Some games save up a lot of the big points and pay them out at the bonus and it can be quite painful to have a great ball, tilt out and, well, maybe turn it into not a great ball.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Part of any nudging strategy is to a have sense of how tight the tilt is (and ideally how many warnings), and to also know how critical the end of ball bonus is to scoring. Some games save up a lot of the big points and pay them out at the bonus and it can be quite painful to have a great ball, tilt out and, well, maybe turn it into not a great ball.

Exactly. Tilting can have huge ramifications, particularly when you are playing in a competitive situation. In fact, tilt warning are so important that in our league we will tell the other players if we see they received a warning. Normally, this would be the responsibility of the player, but it is usually so loud from all the games being played that you can't hear the warning. It only seems fair that someone be aware of the fact that they received a warning.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

In fact, tilt warning are so important that in our league we will tell the other players if we see they received a warning. Normally, this would be the responsibility of the player, but it is usually so loud from all the games being played that you can't hear the warning. It only seems fair that someone be aware of the fact that they received a warning.

Most folks in our league (well, my former league, i am league-less at the moment) would do this, some will also tell you about shots you should go for, when they know the rules and know you don't. Of course then there is the opposite guy who AFTER your ball is over says "if you had hit that target you would have scored 10 billion points".

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-views-on-tilting-cheating-tactic-or-blasphemy/page/2?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.