(Topic ID: 132119)

Your top 5 SEGA pins.

By tamoore

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

apollo.jpg
    whitestar.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-23.jpg
    image-31.jpg
    image-13.jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

The only Sega I still own It SST.

Most of the others like Godzilla, MSF, ID or X-files just never grabbed me. Not horrible, just too many better pins around to keep with them.

I do need to put some real time on Bay Watch and Golden-Eye before making a comment worth while. I have a feeling if I gave them a real chance they would go up a few notches.

#52 8 years ago

I actually really like Sega machines. A bunch have come and gone, but I currently have: Godzilla, LIS, ID4, X-Files, JP2, Space Jam, SWT, VND, SST, Baywatch, and MSF. And you read that right, I have all 6 Sega Showcase Curved Cabinet games!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from twitami:

I actually really like Sega machines. A bunch have come and gone, but I currently have: Godzilla, LIS, ID4, X-files, JP2, Space Jam, SWT, VND, SST, Baywatch, and MSF. And you read that right, I have all 6 Sega Showcase Curved Cabinet games!

Wrong thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-confessional -

Just kidding. To each their own. Not many people have that line-up and I agree with trying to have a lot of a certain company games. About 10 years ago I started getting rid of my non Bly/Wms games. Not just because they were fun. But I got sick of trying to stock parts and spare boards for every type of game. If you get you repair knowledge concentrated on a certain game type it makes home repair much easier.

But then you get the urge to try something different and that goes out the window.

#54 8 years ago

Of the ones I have owned BF and MSF are the only two I would own again. I just got SST fully working yesterday. Never buy a machine from a collector in a hurry. They either lie or are too ignorant to know better, but it is my fault for being in a rush. I will have to shop SST before I can say what I think long term.

That aside I would be interested in Goldeneye and VND. So my list would look like this.
    MSF
    BF
    SST
    Goldeneye
    VND

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

1. Baywatch. Far superior to every other Sega by a huge margin.

100% accuracy

#56 8 years ago

you would be hard pressed to find 5 segas that are good enough to be in a list. I used to hate Sega as I could never find a game that was worth a shit, but I did eventually find games that were actually good.

Batman forever
    Starship troopers

Other games that are tolerable

Frankenstein
    Baywatch
    golden eye

Games that are horrible

SW
    Xfiles
    ID4
    Godzilla
    SP

#57 8 years ago

Well when I think of Sega I think of CLUNKERS. Yeah there are a few good ones but my god people....some of the titles mentioned in this thread......

Independence Day
    Lost in Space
    Apollo 13
    X-Files
    Space Jam
    Jurassic Park Lost World

These are some of the worst playing pins I've ever tried and its not even close

As for the good ones...there aren't many...
    Starship Troopers, Batman Forever, Frankenstein, and Twister are light ,easy ,fun machines though not very deep but at least entertain you.

#58 8 years ago

I'm not a Sega fan either, but I dig MSF and would definitely own one. I really like DE pins and MSF has a DE feel/look. Wasn't this the last DE pin before Sega bought them? Or was it Maverick?

#59 8 years ago

You should probably count the early-new Stern's too. Those games were built on the same platform as Sega, using the whitestar board.
    So, for those that say "Sega Sucks". Well.... Your new sterns are tainted with SEGA.

whitestar.jpgwhitestar.jpg

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you would be hard pressed to find 5 segas that are good enough to be in a list

I agree but honestly I can't think of more than say, 0

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm not a Sega fan either, but I dig MSF and would definitely own one. I really like DE pins and MSF has a DE feel/look. Wasn't this the last DE pin before Sega bought them? Or was it Maverick?

Some of the Maverick pins say Data East, so it was the main one during the switchover, but MSF was already in the works under DE as well. I've got my MSF sitting beside my LAH and JP, and they all feel/play the same to me. (But MSF has the far superior artwork by Paul Faris. Just look at Nedry's "hand" on JP versus the monster's hand on MSF.)

I finally got my hands on a JPLW at the Atlanta Expo last month, and it did feel completely different to me. I can see how some people think they are 'clunky,' but honestly I sort of feel the same way about the brand new Stern machines that I tried out there too. Kiss and WWF were fun and fast, but felt 'cheap' to me and completely different from my Spiderman. I think it's just what you get used to. In our family collection we've got Stern, Sega, Data East, Williams, old/new Bally, P2K, and did have a Gottlieb, so we'll play anything.

#62 8 years ago

I have to give the nod to Baywatch .... it really is a fun game
    Then SST, SWT, LW:JP, and BF with Maverick a very close 6th

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

You should probably count the early-new Stern's too. Those games were built on the same platform as Sega, using the whitestar board.
    So, for those that say "Sega Sucks". Well.... Your new sterns are tainted with SEGA.

whitestar.jpg

While DE/Sega/Stern are all the same company under different management, each one made changes.
    Sega started really cutting corners with BF and then more so with Apollo 13. BF really cut down on GI lighting. Apollo 13 saw the change to the crappy photoshop style artwork, and the loss of the Large DMD (The prototype had it). Next to go was the backbox lightboard. Then you had the Showcase 1/2 cabinets without side art on the backbox. towards the end the BOM really started to go downhill and the games were very simple shallow.

Stern had a Renaissance in the early 2000's. Look at TSPP/LOTR/RBION and how much was on the playfield. The deeper rulesets were a nice touch too.

#64 8 years ago

For me it would be.
    Baywatch
    MSF
    Goldeneye
    Godzilla
    BF

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Then you had the Showcase 1/2 cabinets without side art on the backbox. towards the end the BOM really started to go downhill and the games were very simple shallow.

People say this about Sega's, but I don't think it's fair at all. Using one of my favorite games of all time (period, doesn't matter manufacturer) as an example - Viper: Night Drivin' - which was toward the end of the supposed "cheapening" of games, we have a game with three plastic ramps, one metal ramp, three additional black lights all with starters and whatnot wired into it, bouncing raccoons (for no reason), a "celebrity" announcer (celebrity in quotes because it's Mancow), Slash on music, and a new type of ball for the playfield. Compare this to the actual 'cut down' games that Stern did a few years ago like Iron Man and NBA, and I find it hard to believe that the Sega's were really having a great reduction in the BOM. And I could say the same for Godzilla and LOS in terms of how much 'stuff' there was bolted to their playfields.

Having said that, I feel like Sega's are a much more acquired taste, meaning that their rulesets are not nearly as clear as what we have come to expect from their B/W counterparts. If you take the time to learn them though, the rules can be quite unique. It's why I fell in love with VND - I HATED it at first - I actually worked at an arcade for a year with one and could play for free whenever I wanted (I was the closing manager and the owner told me to stay as long as I wanted). I would NEVER play it because I thought it was such a turd. A friend showed me how to play it on his, and I within three months had one in my house that has had 5000+ plays on it since and never left. I have found similar rule "things" with many Sega's, and while I have walked away from a lot of them quite disappointed, they are now something that whenever I get a chance to I like to play for a while to really understand what they were trying to do.

The best in my opinion:

VND - The fastest game ever made if you set it up right. This comes from a guy who has an IM, Metallica, AMH and Airborne (doesn't get enough credit for how fast it is) set up near it. I love fast games. One of my favorites ever, period.

BF - With the exception of some little code eccentricities, this is a totally solid game that is ridiculously deep.

SST - It's also a really fast game. Bloody, gory, but it plays NOTHING like anything else in the area. I love it for that. Third flipper is unique.

Mini-Viper - It's not really fair to throw this in considering there is only one and not many people have played it, but Sega did a great job packing a pin into a small package. With more time, it would have probably worn thin (I doubt software was fully developed), but it was great fun to shoot.

South Park - I give the nod here because it's the perfect representation of the theme and it's a perfect location game.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you would be hard pressed to find 5 segas that are good enough to be in a list. I used to hate Sega as I could never find a game that was worth a shit, but I did eventually find games that were actually good.
    Batman Forever
    Starship Troopers
    Other games that are tolerable
    Frankenstein
    Baywatch
    golden eye
    Games that are horrible
    SW
    Xfiles
    ID4
    Godzilla
    SP

Wow, I don't find myself agreeing with you much, but you are bang on with the first 2, SST I own, BF I would like too Baywatch would also be a possible at the right price, and I would like to play a Twister again someday, I remember playing quite a few games on it in my distributors showroom when it was new and enjoying it, but it certainly doesn't get much love.

#67 8 years ago

I enjoy Sega games. Don't mind working on them, as I like the white star system. Currently own a Space Jam, and enjoy it quite a bit. My kids like it and it's good for when company is over. Didn't mind VND when I had that one, mainly a great game to play while having a few drinks with some friends over. But I'm looking forward to trying a lot of the Sega titles at Replay FX at the end of the month.

And a buddy has Batman Forever, and it's a blast too.

#68 8 years ago

Forgot about VND. I'd put it in the Meh, category.

Space Jam, i've never played so I can't say.

twister i've never played one that was clean and working 100% (thank you super auctions) So not enough to base an opinion.

#69 8 years ago

All the big screen sega pins are the best,except batman forever(HORRIBLE!)
    Frankenstein,Maverick,Baywatch are supercool and ofcourse (yes...regular display...) independance day.(if you disagree,you never owned it)
    I still have frankenstein while I sold my cactus canyon,scared stiff and monster bash(because they are shit).
    Golden eye and viper are the absolute worst

#70 8 years ago

Baywatch for tbe win at #1. Vid modes rock!
    Maverick for being only pin with poker and black jack!
    Twister cause I have fun!
    Frank cause I have fun!
    L in Space cause I like the theme. I am old and grew up with the show

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

People say this about Sega's, but I don't think it's fair at all. Using one of my favorite games of all time (period, doesn't matter manufacturer) as an example - Viper: Night Drivin' - which was toward the end of the supposed "cheapening" of games, we have a game with three plastic ramps, one metal ramp, three additional black lights all with starters and whatnot wired into it, bouncing raccoons (for no reason), a "celebrity" announcer (celebrity in quotes because it's Mancow), Slash on music, and a new type of ball for the playfield. Compare this to the actual 'cut down' games that Stern did a few years ago like Iron Man and NBA, and I find it hard to believe that the Sega's were really having a great reduction in the BOM. And I could say the same for Godzilla and LOS in terms of how much 'stuff' there was bolted to their playfields.
    Having said that, I feel like Sega's are a much more acquired taste, meaning that their rulesets are not nearly as clear as what we have come to expect from their B/W counterparts. If you take the time to learn them though, the rules can be quite unique. It's why I fell in love with VND - I HATED it at first - I actually worked at an arcade for a year with one and could play for free whenever I wanted (I was the closing manager and the owner told me to stay as long as I wanted). I would NEVER play it because I thought it was such a turd. A friend showed me how to play it on his, and I within three months had one in my house that has had 5000+ plays on it since and never left. I have found similar rule "things" with many Sega's, and while I have walked away from a lot of them quite disappointed, they are now something that whenever I get a chance to I like to play for a while to really understand what they were trying to do.
    The best in my opinion:
    VND - The fastest game ever made if you set it up right. This comes from a guy who has an IM, Metallica, AMH and Airborne (doesn't get enough credit for how fast it is) set up near it. I love fast games. One of my favorites ever, period.
    BF - With the exception of some little code eccentricities, this is a totally solid game that is ridiculously deep.
    SST - It's also a really fast game. Bloody, gory, but it plays NOTHING like anything else in the area. I love it for that. Third flipper is unique.
    Mini-Viper - It's not really fair to throw this in considering there is only one and not many people have played it, but Sega did a great job packing a pin into a small package. With more time, it would have probably worn thin (I doubt software was fully developed), but it was great fun to shoot.
    South Park - I give the nod here because it's the perfect representation of the theme and it's a perfect location game.

I finally got my VND setup last night and it is definitely one of the fastest pins that I have ever played. The original glow balls just feel so light weight while in play. Sometimes my eyes have a hard time keeping up with the ball lol. How is your machine currently setup Goatdan?? I am set to factory height on my adjusters.

#72 8 years ago

Baywatch is the tops.
    I like SST and Southpark has grown on me.
    I wuold like more time on a nice playing BF

#73 8 years ago

For the Sega pins that I've put a lot of time into, I would rank this way...

SST --- Awesome theme, fast, fun, so much so that I bought one!
    Apollo 13 --- Cool theme, some neat tricks and shots...
    Godzilla --- Nice looking, lots of things to shoot at...
    Southpark ---- Fun at first, now good for an occasional chuckle game...

I'm looking forward to playing Goldeneye, Baywatch, BF, and VND, but I haven't run across them in my travels (yet!)...

#74 8 years ago

Haven't had a chance to play all of them...but of those I have time on I would go with...

Apollo 13
    Goldeneye
    Baywatch
    MSF
    Godzilla

Would like to get time on Batman Forever...lot of people really like SST but I just couldn't get into the linear ruleset...got bored of it quickly.

#75 8 years ago

Why don't you add a poll.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Why don't you add a poll.

That's what she said.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

That's what she said.

#78 8 years ago

Just picked one of these up at Pintastic. I had only seen one, once before. Even though I'm in the honeymoon phase, I think it's incredible! First game outside of Williams/Bally that truly rivals a Williams/Bally. Great modes, jackpots, toys, shaker, shot are super narrow too. Rules feel spot on and the music is epic. Can't recommend giving some seat time to this one enough.

apollo.jpgapollo.jpg

#79 8 years ago

Best of all, it's got BILL PAXTON!!!

Edit: for all those somewhat new to Pinside.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-pinball-bill-paxton-pinball-is-completed#post-7309

3 weeks later
    #81 8 years ago

I've owned Baywatch for many years. It has given me some troubles & have had it repaired. I'm almost afraid to play it, dont want it to break down again. But I do enjoy it.

1 week later
    #82 8 years ago

X-Files is #1 for me. Also really like Goldeneye, Baywatch, Batman Forever, and South Park. SEGA had some great themes and I think they made some pretty great games as well.

1 year later
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-top-5-sega-pins/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.