(Topic ID: 132090)

Your thoughts and view on Phantom of the Opera.

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'd like to hear and get your inputs on POTO. Goods / cons

Personally I think it is the ever all time high missed opportunity ever flunking out a potential winner. Beautiful playfield, game idea etc. I want to see if you guys spot and think the same regarding its letdowns.

Thanks Matt

#2 8 years ago

Terrible scoring is the first dealbreaker for me. Related is pretty much the whole ruleset. Hitting it up to the pops again and again and again... and again... to keep that multiplier going... Bleh. Ramp advancement and scoring also terrible.

But yeah, it has potential. Could make a good p-roc project like bop 2.0.

#3 8 years ago

ive owned POTO and i must say, i absolutely love the art package, love the light show, and the music, especially when it changes for multiball, is some of the best ive ever heard, but that being said, the gameplay was a complete letdown...it was the fastest pin ive ever moved. the day i got it, i easily became top spot on the high scores and was ready to be rid of it that evening. it lasted about 3 days.

#4 8 years ago

I second what darkfaith said.

Initially I liked the game, but my main complaint is that there is very little on the playfield. What they did put in the game, they did well. I just wish there was a little more.

#5 8 years ago

Agree with the above. Beautiful game, awesome sound one of the best backglasses ever, but gameplay is meh.

#6 8 years ago

This is not a game I ever gave much thought to, but after recently installing a clearcoated playfield into one for a friend I thought it was a lot of fun. Especially with full leds and connected to a big sub.

#7 8 years ago

Also agree with above. Great art, sound, backglass. Mediocre gameplay. Easy to get the jackpot and once you do, keeping multiball going has no point. I traded a Truck Stop for mine, did a ton of work to it and then had it for maybe 9-10 months before trading it for Swords of Fury.

#8 8 years ago

I like mine. Yes, the game play is a little lackluster to me, but the ease of difficulty make it really popular when friends and family visit, and its my wife's favorite of the pins she has tried so far. Theme is awesome, though I grew up going to the theater so I kind of wish it had the music from the play included.

I need to have my playfield restored and cleared (luckily no burned areas, just wear in outlanes and around the pops) to protect it as much as it gets played.

#9 8 years ago

I think the guy who got the blueprints and who's assignment it was to pull out the hardware to transform it to a live machine, selfdestructed the project and made POTO commit suicide. Please note I only played the game on pinball arcade but here are my initial cons.
1, The slingshot coils are on steroids. You have no controll whatsoever and can only sit back, relying on your luck. Nudging won't help at all. Way too overpowered. It isn't even entertaining.
2. The outlane drain gaps !!! They are a joke and make the drains in all Barry Oursler's games look narrow.
3, The extraordinary Grand Canyon sized gap between the flippers. I checked some youtube videos and it looks like owners replace them with longer ones to make the game somewhat attractive to play.

The above kills the deal for me. Skill will not advance one's scones here. Is what I experience on Pinball Arcade far from the truth when playing the game IRL ? If yes I will turn it down as I might have a shot at buying one.P.Arcade is said to reflect the machines pretty accurate and if yes then POTO is a sad story. Playing IRL is of course another story.

Thanks Matt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-thoughts-and-view-on-phantom-of-the-opera and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.