4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I've owned a range of pins but never a pitch and bat. How much lasting power do you think they have? (I've been held back by the concern that I'd get bored with it fairly quickly.) On the other hand, I think it might be popular with guests. Are they harder to repair than pins? Finally, is there a particular P&B machine you'd recommend above others? Thanks in advance for your advice!

#2 4 years ago

Anyone?

#3 4 years ago

I remember playing them and enjoying them... Trying to hit the ball where I wanted it to go as opposed to a random shot. Pitch & bat, and Slugfest were good times. As far as up keep, I would guess about the same, excluding game specific parts. Would love to have one now!

#4 4 years ago

Check out this link below ... the older 1950's & 1960's with the "Running Man Unit" are the best!
    Dan

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-us-your-em-pitch-and-bat-games

#5 4 years ago

If you are looking for machines guest will love you can't beat a Skeeball Machine, Shuffle Alley and Pitch & Bat in the gameroom. But if you are looking for machines that you enjoy a pitch and bat gets old very quickly.

We have the space so we have machines for us and machines for guest but if you don't have space for at least 8 or 10 machines a pitch and bat waste a slot you could have another pin to enjoy in.

If you don't get an earlier one (with running man unit) the next best machine is Slugfest. We had both Pennant Fever & Slugfest and I liked the look of Pennant Fever but Slugfest has better sound and is more fun overall

#6 4 years ago

Williams Line Drive all the way.....

#7 4 years ago

Fun games with low replay value in a home collection. If you have lots of non-pinhead friends over the pitch and bat will be busy all the time. The other upside is they are generally easy to keep running and sell very well when you get tired of it.

#8 4 years ago

luv 'em...
    just don't play them daily

#9 4 years ago

love me some pitch and bats!! my dream is to one day have a pitch and bat tourney....

#10 4 years ago

Slugfest is a favorite in our house.

#11 4 years ago

I found that I master them too easily. Once you get the timing down, they're kind of a breeze to play.

#12 4 years ago

P&B's are fantastic, especially the ones with a running man unit. My Williams 57 Deluxe Baseball would be one of my last games to leave. Everyone loves it. Easy to play. No deep thinking required.

Every party usually ends up with people playing the p&b, the ball bowler, Skill Roll and the jukebox. To the noncollector, every pinball is "the same" and they like the "skill" games better.

#13 4 years ago

I have a 60 Williams Official Baseball in my game room with 24 pins. I have to agree, It's more for the guests. They always seem to end up on the baseball machine. Myself, I only seem to play it before I know guests are coming to make sure all works perfect from the last guests. But ya know, I'll never part with it. I'm quite fond of the darn thing.

#14 4 years ago

Never owned one, but played them in other people's collections. Fun.... for about 5 minutes.

#15 4 years ago

I have a 1964 Williams Grand Slam among my 12 games, my only non-pinball machine. I am 57 years old though and it was my first love as a kid and brought me to the next logical step of pinball. So for me it is all about the memories, just like many pinsiders at one time or other have to buy the first pin they remember loving. I agree with some of the other comments....guests and kids tend to like it more, they don't have a lot of staying power for your typical pinsider. If you get one, my opinion is that it is necessary to have one where the guys run the bases.

#16 4 years ago

Thanks, friends. I really appreciate all of the comments.

#17 4 years ago

SlugFest is no fun for 1 player. But its a party favorite and gets constant play with 2 players at parties.

#18 4 years ago

Love my Upper Deck pitch and bats are a lot of fun.

#19 4 years ago

I have a williams line drive and it's one of the things I've had the longest in my collection. Do I play it very often? Not really, but if you have the room and wants some diversity you can't beat a pitch and bat.

As others have said, when we have guests over it gets played quite a bit. It's easy to get the hang of and the concept is something everyone understands. If you're playing a 2 player game you're not waiting 10 minutes or more (like you might on a pinball machine) for your turn.

I also have a ball bowler and the same is true for that. It's a concept everyone understands and it's your turn pretty quickly.

Dave

#20 4 years ago

Thanks. If I can figure out how to make a space for it, I might well get one. I have fond memories of using them as kid, so nostalgia is certainly a factor.

#21 4 years ago

I've got a Willaims Double Play in my grandmas basement that gets the snot played out of it by 4 generations of family. Get one!

#22 4 years ago

A major coin op company I know is building a new one for the market. Similar to the Official Baseball with running men in the back but with a big added feature so you don't get tired of it so soon. They have all the basics down but you probably won't see the final product in 6 to maybe as long as 8 months they told me.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldgameguy:

A major coin op company I know is building a new one for the market. Similar to the Official Baseball with running men in the back but with a big added feature so you don't get tired of it so soon. They have all the basics down but you probably won't see the final product in 6 to maybe as long as 8 months they told me.

Ron Haliburton and Al Kress are geniuses.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Ron Haliburton and Al Kress

I am definitely intrigued. What company will be producing it?

Edit: I did a search and found Benchmark Games. I assume that must be it.

#25 4 years ago

Correct.

#26 4 years ago

I'm a sucker for a good vintage Pitch and Bat. Like Foo said, my 4 Bagger would be one of the last to leave.

It's always a tricky question when a pinball player asks an opinion on a P&B. If your expecting a game that you'll want to play continuously you will probably be disappointed. However, there's just something extra charming and uniquely fun about a good Pitch and Bat.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 249.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 208.87
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside