(Topic ID: 90316)

Your take on buying expensive pins from far away.

By The_Fonz

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by The_Fonz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030418.JPG
P1030416.JPG
P1030415.JPG
P1030414.JPG
P1030413.JPG
P1030412.JPG

#1 9 years ago

This is the first thread I have started Ehhhhhh !

So fellow pinsiders, here is the situation. I am in the most isolated city in the world. I am chasing an AFM or a MB. I have run wanted ads and the good news is I have been approached. The bad news is they are on the other side of the country (Melbourne) I have purchased like this before with one good experience (near new stern) and one bad experience (90's B/W) I have reasonable hi res pics with brief descriptions of these pins, but sometimes pics only tell half the story. After being burned before (with the 90's pin) I have now become hesitant to buy older machines without seeing in the flesh and playing. Especially when it comes to a $8-10k pin. But it could be this is the only way I get one. What are your thoughts or experiences.

#2 9 years ago

I have been burned twice buying and having it shipped. The seller mite have a different opinion on what is mint than you do. Thats a lot of money to pay sight unseen. Make sure you get lots of closeup pictures and take your time.

#3 9 years ago

I've purchased many high-end pins remotely (mostly on the East Coast of the USA). I've had great luck/experience. The key is getting great pictures. If you aren't that skilled at evaluating the pics, ask a pinhead friend for their opinion. It also helps to be skilled at interviewing the person selling you the machine. Usually not too difficult to determine if they are a serious collector that cares about the hobby or someone just looking to make a buck. It's a bonus if the person selling is also a Pinsider (so you can view their posting history).

Even if you weren't in Perth, it's hard to just deal locally. Good luck.

#4 9 years ago

Option of flying over and check them out and put them on secure transport? Inland flight aren't that expensive... right?

Second option would be to track down a fellow pinsider in that area who is willing to check the machines out for you and give an objective view : )

Succes!

#5 9 years ago

Be a picture collector. Get a feel for the seller. Talk on phone also a good idea. If you know anyone on the other side of AU see if they can go look at it for you. (make sure they will not buy out from under you)

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Fonz:

This is the first thread I have started Ehhhhhh !
So fellow pinsiders, here is the situation. I am in the most isolated city in the world. I am chasing an AFM or a MB. I have run wanted ads and the good news is I have been approached. The bad news is they are on the other side of the country (Melbourne) I have purchased like this before with one good experience (near new stern) and one bad experience (90's B/W) I have reasonable hi res pics with brief descriptions of these pins, but sometimes pics only tell half the story. After being burned before (with the 90's pin) I have now become hesitant to buy older machines without seeing in the flesh and playing. Especially when it comes to a $8-10k pin. But it could be this is the only way I get one. What are your thoughts or experiences.

Fonz,

I have helped a guy out in Tassie before, I checked out a system for him in Sydney. It worked well for both of us. You might have more luck through Aussie Arcade finding someone to help.
I got burnt by pinball machines Aust. In Melbourne. Pics looked great but all the problem areas were not shown in pics. Good luck.

#7 9 years ago

It sounds like the seller might not be providing you enough information in order for you to make a conscientious decision. If a seller isn't willing to spend 30 minutes taking high-quality pictures and posting them somewhere so you can see, I wouldn't bother with it.

#8 9 years ago

My TRON was in Florida and I'm in Indiana. I bought it without seeing it in person. However, I asked that they a) get me lots of pics of certain things I requested and b) take a YouTube video of them booting the machine and playing a game. If it were an older machine, I'd probably ask for them to video a diagnostic test, too.

#9 9 years ago

Looks like an $800 flight for an $8k pin.

At 10% or less as an insurance policy against losing $8-10k I'm thinking this is totally worth it.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks to all for the comments. Might be best - even if just for a day to fly over. As others have said 500-800 to fly over, might save me a lot of pain. I have had other pinheads look at the pics. They think kit looks good but hey, it's my money - not theirs.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 9 years ago

try to pick severial machines on a trip, i find this makes farther trips reasonable.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Fonz:

Thanks to all for the comments. Might be best - even if just for a day to fly over. As others have said 500-800 to fly over, might save me a lot of pain. I have had other pinheads look at the pics. They think kit looks good but hey, it's my money - not theirs.

If multiple pinheads have said it looks and plays good, and you trust their judgement, then you should decide if it is worth your money. You've at least eliminated the possibility of a scam.

Since you live in Pinball Isolation, I would advise you to take the plunge as long as your are comfortable spending the money. Based on the information you provided, the game works, matches the pictures and is a title you want.

If you would pay similar money for a local machine, then I think you have everything you need to make the decision. Outside of flying there and seeing for yourself.

Good luck!

Marcus

#13 9 years ago

Mour take on buying expensive pins from far away? Don't.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've purchased many high-end pins remotely (mostly on the East Coast of the USA). I've had great luck/experience. The key is getting great pictures. If you aren't that skilled at evaluating the pics, ask a pinhead friend for their opinion. It also helps to be skilled at interviewing the person selling you the machine. Usually not too difficult to determine if they are a serious collector that cares about the hobby or someone just looking to make a buck. It's a bonus if the person selling is also a Pinsider (so you can view their posting history).
Even if you weren't in Perth, it's hard to just deal locally. Good luck.

^^^What he said.

No problemo if you insist on a high-res picture link with dozens of pics showing the entire machine, ask enough questions including title-specific common wear areas, and buy from a known good-guy hobbyist.

If you're still unsure, find a local hobbyist to inspect the game for you (and send them a token of your appreciation for their trouble).

I've bought many long-distance games--no problemo if you stick to the above criteria.

Good luck with your purchase.

#15 9 years ago

Don't do it unless you know the guy like a brother

4 weeks later
#16 9 years ago

Alright thread resurrection time. No guts, no glory right. Anyway this MB came up on the Aussie forums from the other side of Australia. He had some good photos up, but he sent me a few more. This pin was being competed for pretty strongly, meaning I had to move quickly. I bit the bullet and took a chance, and luckily for me I had a win. As it turns out it's from a fellow pinsider!.

The cab has been re decalled, the playfield is amazing, and it has some excellent mods, including full chrome trim, full LED's, side board decals from 'sillyoldelf' the plasma mod, the cobra mod, pinball pro high energy sound system and colour DMD. The look, sound and play of this machine is amazing, and I am so glad I made the choice to take a risk.

This pin travelled 5000km or 3100 miles to be here.

My new 2nd or 3rd Favourite after Luci and my shiny getaway.

A big thanks to dendoc (John) for putting me at ease, and delivering on what was promised. A honourable pinsider !

P1030418.JPGP1030418.JPGP1030416.JPGP1030416.JPGP1030415.JPGP1030415.JPGP1030414.JPGP1030414.JPGP1030413.JPGP1030413.JPGP1030412.JPGP1030412.JPG

#17 9 years ago

Get a protector on that scoop hole stat!! Looks gorgeous!

#18 9 years ago

I have the cliffys on the way. One for the scoop, and the full shooter lane kit. I also got the drac attack playfield reinforcement bracket coming as well.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Looks gorgeous!

Thanks by the way. Very excited.

#20 9 years ago

congrats, I bought a pin from dendoc recently as well without a problem

love the MB and hope to get one in the future

I agree with what a few people said, find a forum member in the area to check out the pin for you if possible. I have checked out a couple for other forum members and hope one day they can return the favour

#21 9 years ago

Yeah - a couple of people offered to look actually (thanks to them) Having said that these MB's are few and far between, and the 1 or 2 that did come up (separate to this one) were a long way away from the members. Also my opinion and others can differ I guess. In the end it was a great result for me, when you consider the risk.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
16,500 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Wanted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-take-on-buying-expensive-pins-from-far-away and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.