Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This year I drove 25 hours and over 1500 miles to view a game.

wow. That is a long haul to come away empty handed (and rightly so - sounds like it was a POS).

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Me and "Ranchdrsn" drove 4 hours for a Fishtales. I will let him tell the story but someone in the scenario said "OH HELL NO."
    We were then rushed out because the seller needed to get to a Blackhawks game and we were wasting his time. Funny, 4 hour drive wasted ours.

It was 4 each way, if I say more my blood pressure will cause me to stroke out...lets just leave it at that.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jnewton:

Unfortunately, this does happen. Farthest I've went was a couple hours for a street fighter 2 arcade game and the people weren't home, about 45min after I had just called them lol. Totally up to the OP, but if you don't want to out the seller, could you at least tell us the game? That way anybody interested in knowing could possibly "fill in the blanks".

Even though others will disagree, I don't want to out anyone. I will however say that the game is a blue Lawlor game with a talking dummy that is always aware of what time it is. Anyone is free to PM me if you'd like to know further.

#54 9 years ago

I think the ability to walk away from a not-so-good deal is another stage of pinball collecting maturity. When I first started, I bought everything, even if it was misrepresented, etc. because I had worked out a deal and had made the effort to go get the game.

I remember the first time I decided to say no. I came home and my wife couldn't believe that I didn't buy it. I told her that it was better to come home empty handed than with a bad deal. Sure, I was out a bit of time and gas money but it was liberating being able to say "no thanks".

The worst of the coming home empty trips was a 6 hour round trip drive to look at a Guns N Roses. I had negotiated a price range for the game and told the guy that I would need to see the game in person before I could make a final offer. When I got there, I found lots of things that weren't in the pictures. The guy had conveniently photographed everything in such a way as to hide all of the playfield wear, broken plastics, etc. When I pointed out all of the things that were wrong with the game and made an offer he said "no way". My offer was only slightly less than what we had talked about but he wasn't budging. In fact, he was insistent that the game was worth more than my original offer range. I then asked him why he would have me drive down there if he had no intention of selling me the game in the price range I had offered. His response, I figured that once you spent the time driving here you spend a bit more to get the game. Uh, no, I wouldn't do that - and didn't - I left empty handed and a bit ticked.

As others have said, sometimes no deal is the best deal.

Dave

#55 9 years ago

Dave, good for you man. People like that, I'll never understand.

#56 9 years ago

A few years ago I drove 5.5 hours to check out a (supposedly minty) STTNG. Before I left I had talked to the owners and negotiated a price. I was very clear with them that I would pay the agreed upon price if the game was as described and in perfect shape. I get there and the game is all scuffed up, the neutral zone had wear, there was battery acid damage and the game didnt boot. Needless to say I was pissed but still willing to buy the game, just not for the original price. The seller told me that the price was already a steal and wouldnt budge....I left pretty annoyed without the game.

#57 9 years ago

what is wrong with you? tell us this scumbag rip-off artist's name and where he lives and what the machine is...don't you want to prevent him from preying on others not as smart as you? how will you feel if he rips some one off especially someone from this forum? we have a right to know who he is

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zippee:

what is wrong with you? tell us this scumbag rip-off artist's name and where he lives and what the machine is...don't you want to prevent him from preying on others not as smart as you? how will you feel if he rips some one off especially someone from this forum? we have a right to know who he is

No call outs are allowed on the forums.

#59 9 years ago

I was on a roadtrip and decided to look at a genie on the way. The pictures the guy sent me made the machine look nice. When I got there the playfield was planking, there were problems with the pops and the backglass was all scratched up. He asked for 1500 and would not budge so i told him no thanks (He called back later and said he'd do 800 but it wasn't even nice enough for that price).
    Ended up getting a nice genie for 400 at PAGG.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I did a 4 hour drive a couple months ago set everything up in advance... Got there looked at the game for 5 min and the seller told me it was his dinner time so I had to go. What's funny is that he set the time for me to show up. There are some strange birds in this hobby!

thats just downright rude.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

No call outs are allowed on the forums.

are there specific rules for that?

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

are there specific rules for that?

It's not really a black & white rule apparently, but...

Quoted from robin:

Posting personal info is prohibited as per our site rules

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-story-of-my-first-pin-entitled-how-i-got-choggarded/page/8#post-1738495

and Zippee said this:

Quoted from Zippee:

tell us this scumbag rip-off artist's name and where he lives and what the machine is

Not sure why I deserved a downvote for that

#63 9 years ago

Had a Gottlieb Surf n Safari paid for and was busting it down when the guy shut the walkout basement door and said I couldn't take it. Told him that he had my money and it was a done deal. Needless to say I left the pinball with the head folded down, shrink wrapped, and the rear legs off, and demanded my money back so I could get the hell out of there. It was about 90 minutes from my house.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Had a Gottlieb Surf n Safari paid for and was busting it down when the guy shut the walkout basement door and said I couldn't take it. Told him that he had my money and it was a done deal. Needless to say I left the pinball with the head folded down, shrink wrapped, and the rear legs off, and demanded my money back so I could get the hell out of there. It was about 90 minutes from my house.

See, I could live with that. I get every penny of my money back and leave his game in questionable shape? Done.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-story-of-coming-back-empty-handed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.