(Topic ID: 61927)

Your pinball collection or your marriage, which do you value more?

By o-din

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

After reading recent threads about which had more value, your house or cars or your pinball machines, I figured this might deserve discussion. Personally I'm not married and never have been, but I am constantly hearing stories about wives that may or may not like pinball, but always seem to have the final say as to how many pinball machines can be brought into the house. Whether it is because the space is more valuably used to store their potpourri collection or cabinets in the livingroom full of dishes that nobody will ever use, I don't know. Maybe you married folks can chime in and let us single folks know how it really works. If I ever met the right woman, I might consider marriage, but I like my house the way it is, so she would have to find somewhere else to keep that kind of stuff.

#2 10 years ago

If you have the right wife, there shouldn't be a decision to make. She may keep you in-check at times but, to say the collection has to go or else....well then your married to the wrong woman.

#3 10 years ago

My way or my way not married yet but I found a girl that will put up with it she's a keeper.

#4 10 years ago

My wife and my kids ARE my life. I didn't realize how great both could be until I had both. Are there times where I just need to be by myself? Absolutely-who doesn't. But honestly, with the right wife (why would you have a wrong wife?), I am a lucky man.

Material things, pinball included, are just that....

#5 10 years ago

If I had to choose nothing or her though it'd be her I don't need all those things its just fun if you got the money.

#6 10 years ago

If you are wanting to spend more time with your pinball collection than a woman, you either married the WRONG woman or you have serious issues.

#7 10 years ago

I would think the answer should be the wife every time. Sure there's the love thing, but getting a divorce and having to sell or give half your collection over, that be just nasty.

#8 10 years ago

I have a great wife. No contest.

#9 10 years ago

My wife & I get along great... When I'm in the basement & she's upstairs.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

but I am constantly hearing stories about wives that may or may not like pinball, but always seem to have the final say as to how many pinball machines can be brought into the house

A lot of those stories are from guys that use their wives as convenient excuses. Marriage is definitely give and take, but there is something to be said for having a little balance in your life.

#11 10 years ago

My fiance doesn't complain about my pinball hobby. She is interested in her things and I am interested in mine. Heck she even comes to a few shows a year with me.

#12 10 years ago

My wife is awesome. She bought me two NIB pins. She keeps me grounded, which is good, and is my best friend. I'm the the luckiest man in the world. No contest.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Marriage is definitely give and take,

I've heard a lot about that- you give and they take.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've heard a lot about that- you give and they take.

Then you're doing it wrong. The woman should always be making more money than you and working constantly so I can deal with my pins with some piece & quite

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The woman should always be making more money than you and working constantly so I can deal with my pins with some piece & quite

That is what I left out of my original post. She could then buy us a larger house and we would have room for both of our stuff. And live happily ever after.

Now somebody please chime in whose wife is a total bitch, and tell us why. Now's your chance, buddy. Don't be shy!

#16 10 years ago

Not a tough decision at all. I would take my wife over pinball machines and have already drawn a line at 4 machines to keep her happy, but would sell them all if that was what it took. I would also take my cats over pinball machines without a second thought.
    However, I don't think I should have to choose any of those things against each other within reasonable limits. So, for me a reasonable limit is 1 wife, 2 cats and 4 pinball machines (if my WOZECLE ever gets here).

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

and have already drawn a line at 4 machines to keep her happy,

Why does that make her happy?

#18 10 years ago

I find it difficult to understand how this is even a question... Games are just objects, your spouse and loved ones are not. I'd sell all my pins, vids, and console stuff at a moments notice to ensure my wife and my daughter had food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Things can always be re-bought.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Why does that make her happy?

Because she has at least some sense of control and does not have the whole basement consumed with pinball machines.

#20 10 years ago

Yeah I don't really get it either. If my hobby was interfering with my family life then it would be time to dial it back or give it up. My wife doesn't really get into my pins or vids YET but she also has no problem with them. We are in the process of buying a new house and while looking she specifically looked for places with full basements and large garages that I can use for my stuff. August was our 10 year anniversary and I passed on a Metallica and Star Trek Pro for a new ring for her. By the time I am in the new house I should be ready to pickup a ST Pro and maybe next year will be a Met Pro. Like others have said, they are only "things".

If your willing to make your wife or kids sacrifice for a bunch of games then your priorities are pretty messed up.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

I find it difficult to understand how this is even a question... Games are just objects, your spouse and loved ones are not. I'd sell all my pins, vids, and console stuff at a moments notice to ensure my wife and my daughter had food on the table and a roof over their heads.

The question arose because although I am not married, I lived with the mother of my child for seven years, and although I like you did everything I could to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table (even her other daughter from a prior relationship), she was the kind that wanted everything in the house her way and was not very appreciative of the effort I was making. I won't get into details, but the day she moved out was one of the happiest days of my life, but also the saddest too, as she took my daughter with her. But that was 8 years ago, and I have spent plenty of quality time with my daughter since then, and now that I live alone, I have the place just the way I like it, and I would never go through another seven years of hell like that again.

#22 10 years ago

Is this a serious question or an attempt at humor, Odin ?

Edit: I see you posted your last reply at the same time I did. Anyhow, ya, I value my wife more than pinball machines, even if she might make me compromise how much I spend. It sounds like you had poor balance in your situation.

#23 10 years ago

Just sounds like the wrong woman more than anything. Luckily, you were afforded the quality time with your daughter, you certainly can't replace that.

#24 10 years ago

I would burn my pin collection then piss on it to put the fire out to save my marriage. Seriously.

#25 10 years ago

My wife is great she loves pinball but not quite as much as me. If you've got the right woman she will support you in whatever hobby you have. here is a video of her playing shadow at 8 months pregnant.

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Trident1977/media/shadow/MyMovie_zpsd4ca8443.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Luckily, you were afforded the quality time with your daughter, you certainly can't replace that.

Nope, and those were and are the best moments of my life! But I did see her mother again yesterday, and we get along fine now. I hand her money, and she says thank you.

#27 10 years ago

I'd give up my pinball machines in the blink of an eye. My wife is awesome

#28 10 years ago

Family is everything. On my death bed I want my wife and son (plus whatever children I have down the line) at my bedside, My F-14 tomcat while great would not be much comfort then.

A happy marriage is full of compromise. My wife thinks three machines is enough, you know what that's fine. Plus its open for discussion down the road. The same way I can tell her buying 500$ worth of dresses a week is a no go. Its called compromise.

Also, My Taxi will not change my diaper when I am old an incontinent.

#29 10 years ago

Wife, I love pinball but, it's secondary to my life.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Also, My Taxi will not change my diaper when I am old an incontinent.

That's why they call you "practicalsteve"

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I won't get into details, but the day she moved out was one of the happiest days of my life

That happens too, that when compromise just wont work. You can work at a marriage but it needs to be equal from both sides. I am sure you did your best in that situation and sometimes there are just irreconcilable differences.

#32 10 years ago

Not too just keep piling on, I should have kept all of my thoughts to one post, but my wife loves that this is my hobby and would never tell me to get rid of all of my machines. I would bet good money that the people that talk trash about their spouses and how they don't support the hobby have MUCH bigger issues than just the pinball, and that just turns into a boiling point. Its more likely that the wife feels ignored in general and they accuse pinball of it, when if the husband just paid some attention and complimented them and actually LISTENED to them for five minutes they would care less about pinball. I bet those guys get home from work and run right down to the basement without saying hello or how was your day. Pinball is not the problem there, its communication.

Same with money, if you buy your wife a stupid stuffed teddy bear with a heart for her birthday and then turn around and bring home a new MET the next day, of course she is going to be pissed. I would be pissed if my wife's hobby was collecting jewelry and she game me a 40$ pinball life gift certificate and then showed me her new diamond ring. Give and take people.

#33 10 years ago

My wife...that's why I only have one. I'd like to have more, but she points out that unless we get rid of her stuff, we don't have space for them...

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from redman822:

but she points out that unless we get rid of her stuff, we don't have space for them...

You could offer to help. Teamwork!

#35 10 years ago

My marriage.....ive seen other dudes wives and how they treat them....no thanks.

#36 10 years ago

Wife for sure. She's my best friend, and like the guy above, I'll take my wife over the others I've seen out there.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The question arose because although I am not married, I lived with the mother of my child for seven years, and although I like you did everything I could to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table (even her other daughter from a prior relationship), she was the kind that wanted everything in the house her way and was not very appreciative of the effort I was making. I won't get into details, but the day she moved out was one of the happiest days of my life, but also the saddest too, as she took my daughter with her. But that was 8 years ago, and I have spent plenty of quality time with my daughter since then, and now that I live alone, I have the place just the way I like it, and I would never go through another seven years of hell like that again.

I had a feeling that this is where you were coming from. There are some women like this - you can be a great provider and seemingly do everything to make them happy...but nothing is good enough. I had an experience like this with my ex who I thought I was going to marry. That being said, pinball wasn't part of the problem...she was actually totally cool with that lol. On the other hand there are men who only pour their hearts into their work & hobbies while ignoring their wife & family. Women are justified in being hurt in that scenario.

My girlfriend isn't that into pinball, but she respects that it's something I like and she'd never "demand" anything from me that would result in taking happiness away from me. I also know that if I were to get married & have kids, I wouldn't put "stuff" ahead of them. I have 20-something pins now...I would have ZERO problem whittling that down to 5...2...hell, 1 - if it were necessary for space, finances, etc. At some point stuff is just stuff. I know guys with wives/families & 30-50 pins ...they NEVER play their games. It's just stuff...a collection...I'm not a collector just to collect. If I had a ton of games but couldn't play them due to life's other obligations...SEE YA PINS (except a few hehe)

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Metalpin:

Wife for sure. She's my best friend, and like the guy above, I'll take my wife over the others I've seen out there.

That, and you've got 38 pinball machines. So I guess there wasn't much resistance there.
    So maybe I need a good looking wife, with a good paying job, that likes pinball, and I won't get too picky here- she can be anywhere from around 20 all the way up to about half my age.

#39 10 years ago

My wife .... Cheaper to keep her ....

Just kidding. Family first, all other things a distant second.

#40 10 years ago

My brother had pretty much the same thing Odin almost word for word. Don't know how he feels about the whole situation but from an outside point of view if I were him I would feel as you do.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

My brother had pretty much the same thing Odin almost word for word. Don't know how he feels about the whole situation but from an outside point of view if I were him I would feel as you do.

Yeah, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The ironic thing is it sounds like she thinks the pinballs are cool. But they are not in her apartment. We got along fine until we started living together, but by then it was too late. Baby was on the way.

#42 10 years ago

Bottom line is this: you can't devote all your time, space in your house, and income and expect your family to tolerate you, who has no time, money or space left over for them.

It's all a tradeoff... for example, if you buy a new pin and want to spend the weekend working on it, it's a good idea to devote the following weekend to the family. Kids are perhaps the biggest benefit to marriage, and, really in a classic gaming hobby isn't one of the goals to pass on the enthusiasm to the next generation?

In other words, choosing is only required if both parties are unwilling to compromise, and if that's the case the marriage is probably dead, for other reasons.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That, and you've got 38 pinball machines. So I guess there wasn't much resistance there.
    So maybe I need a good looking wife, with a good paying job, that likes pinball, and I won't get too picky here- she can be anywhere from around 20 all the way up to about half my age.

Actually I've got 41. She couldn't care any less about pinball though. Never plays any of the games. She's never given me a hard time over any of my collecting habits. She says she knows I work hard and need hobbies and work distractions. At least she knows about my habits and they don't stray beyond our own roof. I've been collecting for years, but she's never questioned me once about how much pinball costs. I recently had full disclosure with her about how much the games are worth now. Wasn't keeping it from her, but she just never asked. We recently sent our oldest daughter off to college and have had to pay extensive medical bills for a knee surgery and physical therapy for her prior to going. I wanted my wife to know how much money I could come up with within a week if I needed to sell a couple of games. She couldn't believe it. I have some CQ games that have tripled in value in less than a decade. It turns out that it was a better investment than stocks or 401k's. She didn't mind the games before because they made me happy and gave me something to do. However, I think she now has more appreciation for those machines. She understands now that I could sell 4 of my top games and pay 4 years of tuition if I needed to. This is also a comforting thing to know since I have another kid starting college in a couple of years. When she found out the market value of my collection, she immediately began to worry if it was covered by insurance. Who knows, she might even start to play them eventually. After all, the only reason I bought TOM was because I thought maybe she'd play the "pretty" game. That didn't work, but maybe the WOZ with video and pretty lights will.

#44 10 years ago

Like others have said, I can't really imagine a situation where I would actually have to choose. My wife is one of the most relaxed women you'll find. She "puts up" with me, how could she not be.

If some lunatic bust into my house and said "I burn your pins or your wife" I'll help him pour the gas on the pins and flick the lighter myself. There's no decision to be made. .

#45 10 years ago

what wolf said.

#46 10 years ago

Let's just say if something happens I'll still have the machines

#47 10 years ago

My fiancé does not like me using pinside much. Have been selling games off for space reasons and a small financial cushion for things like diamond rings ect.

Would sell every game in my collection if I needed to for her or anyone in my family.But she has never once said sell my pinball collection, she did say it was crazy that I had 12 machines and knows they are ridiculously expensive but can be sold as well. When I had four games in my dining room it was overkill and was too many games for me to play weekly.

Sex or pinball, well pinball is good but not that good so yeah wive over pinball and kids over pinball too , which I hope will come soon.

#48 10 years ago

I've got it good and my wife both enjoys playing pinball and doesn't mind when a new one comes in.....as long as one is going out
    She just heard me on the phone over the weekend talking to "JJ" and said "Uh oh whenever I hear that JJ guys name I know something is coming in, what do you have planned and which one is leaving so I can get some more time on it before it's gone."

We only have space for 7 and both agree that's the limit, and if she told me to sell them all for a down on a new home, I would totally do it....well, I would have to keep one!
    So, to answer the question I value my marriage and wife more than anything in the world.

#49 10 years ago

Every now and then I read a thread title and think to myself, "ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?"

This is one of them.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Every now and then I read and thread title and think it myself, "ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME?"
    This is one of them.

Get back to work on that Indiana Jones

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-pinball-collection-or-your-marriage-which-do-you-value-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.