5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by EvanBingham
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    potc1.jpg
    st-pats-day-weatherjpg-8d53c30ba3861685.jpg

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The amount of change you need on hand would be staggering. Take forever to count at the end of the show to split. And run game owners ragged with stuck coins and what not.
    And add break ins to games to the list of problems.
    An idea, I just don't think it would work or be easy.
    LTG : )

I'm also thinking that anytime the owner of a game had to open his pin up for whatever reason, they would be accused by someone of taking money.... I agree; when I go to a pin show, I like my games on free play.

#152 5 years ago

Every once in a while I end up putting quarters in anyway, because the game is not able to be set for freeplay and it has ran out of credits.

There is never a line behind the games with no credits in them, lol.

#153 5 years ago

I will not attend a show that I have to pay to play per game.

If the games were pay per paly, the show would have made about $6.00 off of me.

#154 5 years ago

Phoenix show is coming in a few weeks. They have it at a major hotel in downtown area in the convention area right in the hotel. Discounted rates if your attending the pinball & arcade show if you want to stay the night! It's clean and classy place!

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

I will not attend a show that I have to pay to play per game.
    If the games were pay per paly, the show would have made about $6.00 off of me.

So...I take it you never have been to PAPA? It is pay to play and pretty awesome.

#156 5 years ago

What makes it awesome? Serious question, I have never been to PAPA.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

What makes it awesome? Serious question, I have never been to PAPA.

No admission charge, just pay for tokens. Hundreds of machines. Some rare ones, all in good working condition.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

So...I take it you never have been to PAPA? It is pay to play and pretty awesome.

PAPA is great, but to be honest...I don't think anyone would ever claim that it is a "show".

#159 5 years ago

The current location is a dump, it's an old decaying grocery store that needs a major renovation. Now how about moving it to the Kalahari convention center in Sandusky. Wow this place huge with modern amenities and it's located next to the Kalahari hotel and indoor water park. With full service restaurant, bar you won't have to leave. Plus it's close to the I-80/I-90 turnpike.

#160 5 years ago

at pinball at the zoo (for the tournament games) , pin bowl and pin wars we have change machines.
    we also have quarter rolls pre rolled because some people prefer just buying quarter rolls.
    that takes care of the quarters, we are never short on change.
    also, newer machines have bill acceptors as well.
    if you have imonex coin mechs, you will have very limited coin jams.
    coin jams usually exist due to people sticking tickets, straws, candy wrappers and coins other than quarters in machines. mechs don't jam up from using just american quarters.
    for anyone who brings games and who doesnt have coin mechs, i provide the mechs. pretty easy.
    people pay ZERO to get in, just as papa, so im not sure why someone would frown on entering the facility.
    its free to enter, free parking.
    when games are on coin play, it cuts down on people who start 4 player games to play by themselves and other situations that create lines and people hogging the good games.
    when it comes to counting the coins, use an electronic coin counter.
    mine can rip through $2000 worth of quarters in less than 2 minutes.
    it's seriously not that hard. when you have a tight staff and good people in your circle, its easy and works out well.
    also, for myself personally, i do not get my full $20 or more worth of entry fee per day of any show on the games on free play, esp when you figure in the 25 cent em games.
    next time at a show, count up your plays (don't include free games/matches) and see if you break even, or would have spent more/less if on coin play only. Also, even on coin play, you will be able to walk around and catch free credits on games that people leave if they win.
    +1 on the kalahari idea!

#161 5 years ago

Kalahari would be expensive, wouldn't it? Or is their convention center bettered priced than the water park and hotel?

#162 5 years ago

So pay to play and no admission fee?

Now That's a different story!!!

I'd be down for that!

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from poopdotcom:

I don't like that people pack up so early. Maybe a vigilant doorman can discourage people from leaving.

Interesting concept: a bouncer that forces people to stay in instead of keeping people out.

#164 5 years ago

Having it be pay for play poses a few problems (may or may not have been discussed yet).

1. People griping about the condition of the pin they just sunk a quarter into.
    2. Less games at the venue. I think some ops won't bring in all the games they normally would if a few of them has small issues. Why lug if no one will play it?

I think charging admission and free play is the obvious way to go (and stay)

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

at pinball at the zoo (for the tournament games) , pin bowl and pin wars we have change machines.
    we also have quarter rolls pre rolled because some people prefer just buying quarter rolls.
    that takes care of the quarters, we are never short on change.
    also, newer machines have bill acceptors as well.
    if you have imonex coin mechs, you will have very limited coin jams.
    coin jams usually exist due to people sticking tickets, straws, candy wrappers and coins other than quarters in machines. mechs don't jam up from using just american quarters.
    for anyone who brings games and who doesnt have coin mechs, i provide the mechs. pretty easy.
    people pay ZERO to get in, just as papa, so im not sure why someone would frown on entering the facility.
    its free to enter, free parking.
    when games are on coin play, it cuts down on people who start 4 player games to play by themselves and other situations that create lines and people hogging the good games.
    when it comes to counting the coins, use an electronic coin counter.
    mine can rip through $2000 worth of quarters in less than 2 minutes.
    it's seriously not that hard. when you have a tight staff and good people in your circle, its easy and works out well.
    also, for myself personally, i do not get my full $20 or more worth of entry fee per day of any show on the games on free play, esp when you figure in the 25 cent em games.
    next time at a show, count up your plays (don't include free games/matches) and see if you break even, or would have spent more/less if on coin play only. Also, even on coin play, you will be able to walk around and catch free credits on games that people leave if they win.
    +1 on the kalahari idea!

Those are good points.

I do have a few games that are HUO that have never had a quarter run through them.

I'm almost too scared to bring them to a show and have the coin doors scratched up by a bunch of kids with quarters.

I might have to invent a quarter guard for the coin door, lol.

#166 5 years ago

Lets see, I took my whirwind and CP to expo last year, WW was down Friday night until 11 Saturday morning and it still had about 850 plays on it. So that's about $200 that it would have made. I don't remember what CP or AG football had on them but the WW alone would have paid for FULL admission.

I don't know what point I am trying to make with this statement, call it a case study.

#167 5 years ago

coin drop isn't certainly for every show or event, it just works well for mine since no admission fee.
    its also a great incentive for people to bring games in addition to best of show plaques, free tournament entries, raffles for people who bring games.. as far as huo pins go, if anyone brings a HUO pin to a show, its not HUO anymore.
    kids or adults don't ruin my coin slots or coin doors on location when they are there for months on end........
    so...a 2 or 3 day show with the game owners on sight i highly doubt inserting coins would create wear or problems.
    most ware on games (besides the playfield)) is the result of people transporting them, not from being at an actual venue itself.
    well, unless the owner doesn't take care of their pins or doesn't place them safely setup between other "non perfect" games. use walls and tables to protect sides of games...yes yes

#168 5 years ago

were any of those plays free games won? i wonder how many of those plays had games started, but not completed? people waking away after a ball, etc. it happens.
    ofcourse with games on coin play, attendees would choose their games more wisely and not press 4 player games for just one person playing. across the board the numbers would be fine in earnings, trust me.
    it also gives game owners a boost to have their games working fully and looking nice and actually bring titles people want to play, not just a cheap game to get in to a show for "free".
    if they want people to play their games. it only hurts them if they bring a POS and no one plays it if its on coin drop.
    *** PPO also does this (free entry, all games on coin drop).
    and it seems to work well there as well.

Quoted from Pugsley:

Lets see, I took my whirlwind and CP to expo last year, WW was down Friday night until 11 Saturday morning and it still had about 850 plays on it. So that's about $200 that it would have made. I don't remember what CP or AG Football had on them but the WW alone would have paid for FULL admission.

I don't know what point I am trying to make with this statement, call it a case study

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No admission charge, just pay for tokens. Hundreds of machines. Some rare ones, all in good working condition.

PAPA is not a show. Nothing for sale, no flea market, no vendors. Just tons of pinball machines - you can't even get them all in the frame of a single camera shot because the place is so huge.

The funny thing is, I can play all day there on $20 in tokens and as compared to the OH show - not wait in a single line and come home with tokens in my pocket.

#170 5 years ago

What's the deal with PAPA?

Is it open to the public to just go play?

#171 5 years ago

Food from vendors and swag from the papa organizers is available for sale.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the deal with PAPA?
    Is it open to the public to just go play?

https://papa.org/
    Just a couple times a year.

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

https://papa.org/
    Just a couple times a year.

Yea.. what he said. I'll definitely be going at least 1 time this year.

4 months later
    #174 5 years ago

I didn't want to start a new thread this far before the next show, but the new location is in Niles according to the website. Too far for me to go all 3 days unfortunately, but I look forward to seeing the new venue.

Also, still Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I didn't want to start a new thread this far before the next show, but the new location is in Niles according to the website.

This is amazing (for me)! Niles is only 30 minutes away as opposed to about 1 hour 20 minutes to the old location in Akron. Looks like I can probably bring a few extra games!

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

ok we will probably do friday sat sunday weather we move or not POINTS MADE OK

Disappointed to see it's still Thursday-Saturday. Was it an issue with the new location? Why didn't you switch to Fri-Sun?

#178 5 years ago

Agreed. Would love this show (and others) to be friday, sat, and sun.

Most of us work ya know!

Regardless I"ll be there!

#179 5 years ago

The new home:

http://goo.gl/maps/qiYpr

http://goo.gl/maps/tIXzT

Great location if you like wings! Actually the nearby mall is nice, no more driving for any kind of food... too bad it's almost in Pennsylvania LOL

#180 5 years ago

Not quite as far for me either.Plenty of great places to eat,hotels all in one location. Definite upgrade.

#181 5 years ago

Exactly 55 minutes due east of old location

#182 5 years ago

The new location doubles my drive time and since I work M-F, Saturday looks like the only day for me which I'm not sure about since that's pack up day. So maybe I won't be seeing the new venue.

#183 5 years ago

wow on new location, well +1 hoping it would be a full weekend event

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

Disappointed to see it's still Thursday-Saturday. Was it an issue with the new location? Why didn't you switch to Fri-Sun?

+1 on this. Fri Sat Sun would be so much better.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

If you looked at the 3" layer of grease on the popcorn machine that is in plain view, imagine what the rest of the kitchen looks like where you can't see.
    Too lazy to clean the obvious stuff, too lazy to clean the hidden stuff.
    We left to eat, and came back later.

They actually cook the food in the bathroom...

#186 5 years ago

The old location was a 40 minute drive for me, and I always went for all 3 days. The new spot is a 1hour 20min drive each way. That definitely rules out Thursday, and it may not seem worth it if Saturday will still be wrapping up throughout the afternoon like usual. Bummer.

#187 5 years ago

New location and new bathroom!!!
    The old bathroom was a dump.
    Latrines are cleaner than that bathroom.

#188 5 years ago

I've attended every show since the first one, and always attended every day. I won't be going anymore! Should have kept it closer to where it was. I can drive a little farther to Pittsburgh and play all the pins at PAPA or Pinburgh I want and they work.

The first couple of shows had some good deals, vendors and good atmosphere. The last couple of shows not so much! I just went to talk to vendors who have retired, left the business or stopped going. I'll just head to the shows in Michigan now

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from Orbian:

I can drive a little farther to Pittsburgh and play all the pins at PAPA

Plus the Ohio show is the weekend after PAPA (March 11-15). Makes it tough on the people who like to do both. I guess too many pinball events isn't a terrible problem to have, but not everyone can do back to back weekends like that.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Orbian:

I've attended every show since the first one, and always attended every day. I won't be going anymore! Should have kept it closer to where it was. I can drive a little farther to Pittsburgh and play all the pins at PAPA or Pinburgh I want and they work.
    The first couple of shows had some good deals, vendors and good atmosphere. The last couple of shows not so much! I just went to talk to vendors who have retired, left the business or stopped going. I'll just head to the shows in Michigan now

Adios.

#191 5 years ago

I have something that might work for you John.Im working on the webb site now but it is a done deal.

The Cleveland pinball show Dates are September 10,11,12 2015 Holiday. Inn Independence Ohio

It will also have a outside flea market . Should have it all up by the end of August both shows will be linked together.
    Stay tuned

#192 5 years ago

Very cool, Marvin. I remember you guys talking about two shows a year, but didn't realize it was coming together.

Just curious why you're sticking with the Thurs-Sat format for both shows though? I'd think attendance would be better if it was more of a weekend event.

#193 5 years ago

The vender like a day to travel home.I will talk to Mike about Sunday for the Ohio Show.The Cleveland show Im locked in next year for Thurs - Sat but there will be games available for play all night long

#194 5 years ago

All night is a good move. It's fun seeing who can win sleep deprived games at 5am at Expo.

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

The old location was a 40 minute drive for me, and I always went for all 3 days. The new spot is a 1hour 20min drive each way. That definitely rules out Thursday, and it may not seem worth it if Saturday will still be wrapping up throughout the afternoon like usual. Bummer.

Same here and not worth the drive for 1/2 day on sat..

Quoted from Orbian:

I can drive a little farther to Pittsburgh and play all the pins at PAPA or Pinburgh

I have never been there, guess I'll be doing that this time around..

#196 5 years ago

From what I was reading it looks like the the vast majority of people come from Cleveland or west of there like Michigan. Maybe I am wrong.

#197 5 years ago

I understand you have to cater to the vendors, but if the vendors used Thursday as their day to travel to the show and then Sunday to travel home, what's the difference if they take Friday to travel to the show and then use Monday to travel home? Either way you slice it, the show is eating up two weekend days and two weekdays.

I'm looking forward to the Cleveland show, but I'm with John. I'll probably only come to the Ohio Show on Friday this year. I'm sure you'll get some more Pittsburgh people, though. It's pretty much right in the middle.

#198 5 years ago

This is GREAT news for the Erie crew. This will knock an hour off our trip and I can only assume the venue will be larger and I won't have to surf in and out of the bathroom.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from mjpinballs:

I have something that might work for you John.Im working on the webb site now but it is a done deal.

The Cleveland pinball show Dates are September 10,11,12 2015 Holiday. Inn Independence Ohio

It will also have a outside flea market . Should have it all up by the end of August both shows will be linked together.
    Stay tuned

SOUNDS AMAZING THANKS!!!!

#200 5 years ago

I know a handful of people who come from Pittsburgh, and this definitely makes the drive shorter for them. I sure ain't complaining.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 11.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Flipper Parts
    TheDudeMods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside