2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I'm considering picking up an IM that is available, but I'm interested in Star Wars. I'm not sure if there are enough people that have played both at this point, but I'm interested in your opinions on IM vs. SW Pro.

#2 2 years ago

Iron Man is like a sports car...every guy should own one.

#3 2 years ago

Have both and they are very similar in a general sense. Both are fast, not a ton to shoot for, sold on theme, and have beginner, intermediate, and advance strategies.

I would ask yourself what you like better for each category and go from there.

Theme > SW wins for me
Shot layout > tied; both are fun to shoot. SW is uber fast but not much else. IM is just slightly slower but way more ball interaction
Toys > IM obviously wins with multiple magnets and monger
Code > SW is WAY too early to tell but it will feel like GoT for sure so if you liek that atyle of play then it wins. I think IM is probably the more well put together package and thus far Dwight has been un able to polish either GB or GoT so I give the edge to IM just because it is polished
Art > I think I would take IM again. SW art is a let down compared to what they could have done.

Aside from theme, I think IM wins for me personally. That may change in 6-12 months IF starwars code gets refined and polished. Reality is that even with both to compare in person it is way to early to make a good decision about any vs including SW.

#4 2 years ago

I just buy both, that's what I did Both are great games. IM you have the Iron Monger bash toy that pops up out of the playfield which is really cool. And the war machine canon that fires the ball back at you. The rules on IM are much simpler, but hard to achieve. The sound package is great too, very immersive. The game really gets the adrenaline flowing.

Star Wars is a super fast flowing game. The only interactive toy is the Tie Fighter. The rules are way more complex and confusing, I'm still trying to figure everything out. The color screen is nice but you really can't look at it during play at all or you will loose the ball. The light show is pretty impressive on Star Wars. The Star Wars music is great as well but the game just isn't as immersive as IM.

Tough choice if you have to just choose one. Which theme do you like better? What kind of game play and rules do you prefer? IM is a classic, and even though they didn't build that many they do seem to pop up for sale. One thing to consider is they will be building Star Wars for several years, so pick up the IM now and enjoy the awesome game that it is. Then wait and see how Star Wars shakes out. You can also find both machines out on location and play them both and see which one you like the best.

#5 2 years ago

I miss Iron Man and will definitely pick another up down the road. SW needs to be proven. Go IM now and SW later if it turns out ok.

#6 2 years ago

I own both, tough call. Pros and cons for both. I'm not a fan of the spike system because of the reduced ability to repair it. Sw has deep code and it's really a very fun game. Since SW is new to me, hard to say how it will pan out. I do like the screen. IM has been with me since the vault was announced and I won't sell it.

#7 2 years ago

I have a GOTLE and an IMVE. Just played Star Wars Pro yesterday and it feels like GOT got down with IM and made a baby. Super fast and furious with what is looking to be great code for the analytical player. I love my Iron Man to death, but the rules are quite stale, linear and can be very boring. Game play, audio and the Iron Monger fun factor make up for it though.

IMO, Star Wars has the one thing that Iron Man lacks - that depth factor with the rules - even with the launch code. Some people complain that there's "nothing to do" in Star Wars, but quite frankly I see a lot: 12 normal modes, 4 mini wizard modes, hyperspace hurry ups, escape Boba Fett Mini mode, the FORCE target advancements (yet to be coded?), the jedi training, Tie Fighter advancement, changeable shot multipliers, 9? total multiballs, etc. etc. Iron Man has the Iron Man scoring, Drones that are only really useful for lighting War Machine Multiball, Whiplash multiball, Iron Monger, We got a bogie, lame-o super pops, and then arguably one wizard mode, Jericho (as Do or Die Multiball is even harder to get to than Valinor).

If you're really torn between the two, I'd pick based on theme because that's what is going to draw you in and make you really excited about it.

#8 2 years ago

The magnets and monger make IM hugely entertaining, but SW will be fun.

Im sure Ill be in the minority, but prefer IM as a theme more, kind of tired of SW at this point..

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

The only interactive toy is the Tie Fighter.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. A bobble head tie fighter is the only "interactive" toy on a modern day Star Wars machine.

Imagine if they would have just rethemed IM playfield to Star Wars and used SW code. Freaking awesome. Like someone said in another thread, replace monger with Vader... so frickin cool. Replace war machine with Boba Fett shooting the ball back at you. Whiplash with the Death Star. Oh what could have been from a playfield standpoint.

I haven't played SW so I can't judge the fun factor yet... but gdamn I shouldn't feel this way about a brand spanking new Star Wars game.

#10 2 years ago

I appreciate the comments so far. I'm actually surprised that a few of you already have both! I'm a big fan of both themes. Star Wars would win out slightly from a theme standpoint. I have played IM ten to twenty times and like it a lot. It's brutal and fast, without feeling like I lose the ball in cheap annoying ways despite the magnets -- it does feel like a battle. I'm only an average player at best so I have not made it to wizard modes on most of the games I play. I only buy a game every few years and it generally will result in swapping out another game. I have a lot of personal nostalgia for my Cyclone as it is the game that introduced me to pinball, but it rarely gets played and may be the one on the chopping block. Other than that I have a nice Shrek, a mint POTC, and Avengers LE. While these games are not at the top of most peoples list, I particularly like Avengers. All of these themes are among my and my families favorites, so they are sticking around for a while yet.

#11 2 years ago

I will say that historcally BBH and IM were thought of as 'stripped down' Sterns. Comparing SW pro to IM makes me a little sad to see what stripped down has become.

#12 2 years ago

I love both games but personally would get star wars and I have played the pro but i would not get the pro because it is too stripped down so I suggest getting a premium because it does have some cool features like the death star opining up and the getaway ramp and the rules on star wars are great and I feel they are much more deeper than iron Man.

#13 2 years ago

I only had my IM for a month or two, I just didn't connect with it at all.... and I love the MCU.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say that historcally BBH and IM were thought of as 'stripped down' Sterns. Comparing SW pro to IM makes me a little sad to see what stripped down has become.

If I bought Star Wars, I would frankly probably go for the Premium. However, comparing IM to SW Premium seems inappropriate because 1.) No one has played it. 2.) The price is significantly different.

#15 2 years ago

I would get IM now and wait on SW. I have an IMVE and love it. The ramps might be my favorite in any game. They just feel good to hit. You have the war machine kickback, magnet at Whiplash, and the Iron Monger/magnet. It's loaded compared to SW.

For me (I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen), SW would have the edge on the light show, theme, callouts, screen, and rules. The layout seems great, but it's hard to get past how bare it is.

I'm getting a SWLE, but I don't know that I feel that excited for it. I'm waiting on the video, but I might back out after I see it.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm considering picking up an IM that is available, but I'm interested in Star Wars. I'm not sure if there are enough people that have played both at this point, but I'm interested in your opinions on IM vs. SW Pro.

Star Wars wins by a large margin for me, but I personally wouldn't buy either of them at this point.

It has the better...
Theme
Dots/Video
Rules
Sounds
Light Show
Even art...which is sad considering

Playfield layout and shots are comparable.

Iron Man just doesn't have enough to keep me interested, especially in a home environment setting.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Star Wars by a large margin for me.
It has the better...
Theme
Dots/Video
Rules
Sounds
Even art...which is sad considering
Iron Man just doesn't have enough to keep me interested, especially in a home environment setting.

100% agree!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

IM is freaking stacked with features and mechanisms compared to SW. Not even close.

#19 2 years ago

Star Wars. The lights and sounds are awesome and it plays like a Steve Ritchie.

I never got the Iron Man hype. I mean, I guess it's great if you like short games and STDMs off the Iron Monger!

#20 2 years ago

Not that I'm a good player, but the trick is to hit Iron Monger a glancing blow rather than head-on. I haven't had too many STDM events off of Iron Monger.

#21 2 years ago

Get IM now...it's a proven winner. Wait and see with SW. If it turns out a winner, pick one up then (give it a year).

#22 2 years ago

Wow, I am kind of disappointed when I hear people indicating that SW is stripped down compared to IM. Wasn't IM considered the most stripped down game ever (when Stern was almost on the verge of collapse)? I love IM by the way - my favourite game ever despite the low BOM. But the quality vs. cost was still there. Is it now? Haven't played SW yet and I never determine whether or not I like/dislike a game until I do. At least many of those who have played it seemed to like the gameplay - so that is good news.

I am looking forward to playing this - as like most of you I quite like the theme.

#23 2 years ago

Glad to see people are having the same debate as me! IMVE has been #1 on my wishlist for a long time, yet I'm a huge SW fan. Both games appear to similar in the fact that thy are both stripped & very fast. Excellent comments have already been made.

I will throw in the fact that I enjoy IM throwback scoring rules, where a final score of 100M is considered a great achievement. It's a little early to judge on SW, but the high 5B+ scores & huge end of ball bonuses are disappointing for me, as it takes away from the sense of scoring achievement. The points are so easy to come by, to the point where they lose meaning.

On IM, you are earning those points, especially on the huge 35M Do or Die Hurry Up shot. I like to play games where the points are earned, not just handed out. I also like the fact that DOD Hurry up is only available on a single ball if you get all the characters lit, similar to the high difficulty settings on Flash Gordon. This make you keep coming back for more to get that big score.

Plus as mentioned before, IM is fighting you the whole way with 2 magnets, the kickback & wide open outlanes. SW appears to be a pretty easy game so far, just lightning fast. I like it better when a pin hands my ass to me.

If I have to pick today, it's IM without question. I wouldn't even consider buying a SW for at least a year until the code is finalized anyway.

Someone sell me your IMVE please

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Wow, I am kind of disappointed when I hear people indicating that SW is stripped down compared to IM

IM
2 flippers
2 slings
3 pops
2 magnets
3 spinners
1 big toy
1 kickback
2 ramps
13 standups

SW
2 flippers
2 slings
-2 pops and a kicker
-0 Magnets
-1 spinner
1 pf display instead of toy
1 scoop
2 ramps
+1 drop bank
-9 standups

SWpro is definately stripped back from IM

I count a total of 14 coils on IM
I count a total of 14 coils on SW but fairly under used relative to even IM (i.e. jiggle a toy on a sping vs a magnet to interact with the ball)

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

IM is freaking stacked with features and mechanisms compared to SW. Not even close.

By "freaking stacked" do you mean it is about on par with each other? Again, I love Iron Man to death, it's never leaving my line-up, but can we give a little credit where credit is due?

Iron man: two cheap ass figurines (Whiplash and War Machine, a target that comes up out of the playfield, two magnets, a kickback, 13 stationary targets, and one active ball stop.

Star Wars: One large cheap toy (that lights up and interacts based on game play - Death Star), tie fighter toy (arguably interactive), FOUR shots that lead to active ball stops, FIVE drop targets, 9 stationary targets, etc.

Star Wars is definitely on the stripped side, can't deny that. Just saying it's frustrating reading this sky is falling attitude and over exaggeration. bunch of middle truths and alternative facts.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I count a total of 14 coils on SW

Lol, love ya Hilton, know you just got screwed over by STERN with your SD card issue, but come on, definitely stripped back is an over statement.

#27 2 years ago

Besides, it's up for debate on how many players actually like things randomly fucking their game up. Personally I want to be punished when I miss a shot, not by random bad luck due to when a coil pulses. Personal taste...

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

IM
2 flippers
2 slings
3 pops
2 magnets
3 spinners
1 big toy
1 kickback
2 ramps
13 standups
SW
2 flippers
2 slings
-2 pops and a kicker
-0 Magnets
-1 spinner
1 pf display instead of toy
1 scoop
2 ramps
+1 drop bank
-9 standups
I count a total of 14 coils on SW but fairly under used relative to even IM (i.e. jiggle a toy on a sping vs a magnet to interact with the ball)

You forgot RGB color changing inserts and color changing GI.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Lol, love ya Hilton, know you just got screwed over by STERN with your SD card issue, but come on, definitely stripped back is an over statement.

nah, Stern took care of it. I dont like how it went down, but Stern did get it fixed pretty timely. I was just frustrated with the situation.

SW is the most stripped back game I have seen to date.

IM is a barron game and SW has less.

1 less pop bumper
2 less magnets
4 less standups

I wasnt trying to be dramatic. I was just counting up the actual comparison of componets in the game. SW is the most empty game I have seen to date.

#30 2 years ago

barron does not mean it can't be fun, btw

just counting up the parts and SW is lacking for sure.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I never got the Iron Man hype. I mean, I guess it's great if you like short games and STDMs off the Iron Monger!

That's the beauty of IM. It can feel like you are actually fighting those characters. If you misplace a shot on Monger he has the chance to kill you with a STDM shot. Whiplash can do the same. They are trying to kill you and sometimes they do.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

SW is the most empty game I have seen to date.

Really, most empty game to date? What about GOT Pro? It's not like Aerosmith, Kiss, and a handful of other recent releases are rolling in features either.

Pops, Slings, Flippers: IM = GOT Pro

Targets: IM 13 > Got Pro 11

Kick Back: IM = Got Pro

Magnets: IM 2 > Got Pro 0

Shots (not specific target shots): IM 6 > Got Pro 5

Playfield Toys: IM 3 > Got Pro 2 (if you count the afterthought of the throne that was randomly placed levitating in the back corner)

(To be fair, GOT Pro has the physical ball lock and a few RGB inserts that are hard to compare directly with IM).

Anyway, sorry for beating a dead horse. If anything this is further proving your point that most STERN pinballs of late have been feature deprived. Which means we all lose.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If anything this is further proving your point that most STERN pinballs of late have been feature deprived. Which means we all lose.

that was my entire point.

IM used to be the standout as being an example of stripped. It is now joined by a bunch of naked friends

#34 2 years ago

I owned IM for over a year - while the theme is neither here nor there for me, I did enjoy the game a lot. Played that thing to death! Haven't necessarily missed it, but really enjoyed having it. Definitely have it rotate through your collection

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You forgot RGB color changing inserts and color changing GI.

This is key, color changing GI is cosmetic but color changing inserts give the programmer flexibility to make varied and interesting use of the available shots. Of course color changing inserts are not a bash toy or drops (especially to the casual player that's more likely to be drawn in by visible stuff on the playfield), and they may just be a given for any new pin at this point, but still a noteworthy upgrade compared to IM.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nah, Stern took care of it. I dont like how it went down, but Stern did get it fixed pretty timely. I was just frustrated with the situation.
SW is the most stripped back game I have seen to date.
IM is a barron game and SW has less.
1 less pop bumper
2 less magnets
4 less standups
I wasnt trying to be dramatic. I was just counting up the actual comparison of componets in the game. SW is the most empty game I have seen to date.

No offense, but you are being a little dramatic because you're being selective with your components.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

One large cheap toy (that lights up and interacts based on game play - Death Star)

How does it interact with the ball itself during game play on the SW Pro? Perhaps I'm missing something?

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

How does it interact with the ball itself during game play on the SW Pro? Perhaps I'm missing something?

You're not. It just sits there.

#39 2 years ago

I've put quite a few more games on my Star Wars the last few days and feel it is better than iron man, certainly not worse. Do not be fooled by the lack of playfield toys or sparse layout, the game has a lot going on and the code is very deep and complex. Great use of lighting and sound. I still have no idea how to play this game, don't even know how to start multi balls or what the skill shot is, but there is absolutely no question, like iron man, it has that push the start button one more time. Iron man is a fantastic game, but Sw is better.

#40 2 years ago

What a joke this is, I love IM but its not even close.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You're not. It just sits there.

Yea, didn't think so. He also left out the three spinners and what not on IM. IM has more features on the playfield that interact with the ball. Period. Full stop. It's not hyperbole. This isn't demeaning to SW Pro, just is what it is.

SW pro has RGB lighting and the new display, both nice features. I love high end light shows. Looks like scoring logic will be more complex on SW pro, that has some pluses for the home setting also.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, didn't think so. He also left out the three spinners and what not on IM. IM has more features on the playfield that interact with the ball. Period.

Sorry Tiger but SW feels a lot more interactive than IM, to each his own but it really isn't even fair trying to compare IM to SW, and who knows how great it will become with code updates, have you put serious time into SW yet? man its quite amazing.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

have you put serious time into SW yet?

No, I hope to soon. I need one of my buddies nearby to buy one so I can play it in a home setting. I'm certainly not writing SW off. Also, I don't think more features equals more fun to be sure.

For example, Doctor Who basically has one interactive toy (one, though it is complex and multifeatured it is only one toy) but it's an amazing toy and it beats much more mechanically numerous featured games in the fun department routinely. Less stuff on the play field doesn't mean less fun.

#44 2 years ago

SW over IM all day long. IM is fun but one ball games get old fast

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No offense, but you are being a little dramatic because you're being selective with your components.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

I just counted the stuff and listed it out. What am I being selective about? It is not even really close to a discussion point... IM has way more to it then SW physically. That may be good for some people and bad for others, but either way IM has more stuff.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have no idea what you are talking about...
I just counted the stuff and listed it out. What am I being selective about? It is not even really close to a discussion point... IM has way more to it then SW physically. That may be good for some people and bad for others, but either way IM has more stuff.

You left out the color changing inserts and GI. That's huge and does affect gameplay and overall aesthetics. In either case, dont matter to me; no skin off my nose.

I havent played SW yet, but i'd choose it over IM only cause ive owned IM twice (Original & Vault) and both times it didnt last a month in my small collection. It really is a Fun game; but too shallow, repetitive, and boring for me in a small lineup.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I havent played SW yet, but i'd choose it over IM only cause ive owned IM twice (Original & Vault) and both times it didnt last a month in my small collection. It really is a Fun game; but too shallow, repetitive, and boring for me in a small lineup.

You happy with SMVE? Just curious what you think of that...not to derail the thread.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You happy with SMVE? Just curious what you think of that...not to derail the thread.

Very very happy with it.

I may sound like a broken record to some - but, no center drain post + lightning flippers has me coming back time and time again on this pin. Have reached SH about a dozen times, beat it twice. Love the vault package and everything about it. (owned original spidey twice way back long ago). Ive had the game since NOV '16.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You left out the color changing inserts and GI. That's huge and does affect gameplay and overall aesthetics. In either case, dont matter to me; no skin off my nose.

we can put them on but they are a wash. Some like them and others dont. I personally am in the camp that the new LEDs suck. I dont need to be blinded for making a shot or starting a multiball. I know you a pro everything Stern, but I hope you can see that many people dont like all the new stuff they do and assume it is better just because it is new. The inability to tweak inserts as I see fit is a big negative also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Winter Park, FL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Marengo, IL
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside