(Topic ID: 6239)

Your most stupid pinball moment

By pinballslave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Broken_backglass.JPG
    Upright_cab_with_smashed_glass.JPG
    Van_with_graffiti.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago

By the way, the start of this thread is the story of me driving a van under a low bridge and taking part of the roof off... Just to clarify, I did approach the bridge (or tunnel as it was quite long!) very slowly so that if I was too high, then I'd just touch the bridge and would simply reverse out... after getting past this initial test stage and finding myself inside I then went a bit faster, aware of the traffic behind me... what I didn't realise was that about half way through the height suddenly reduced by about 6"... and it was dark in there!! This is where I heard the almighty crash and the van came to a halt... so I blame the bloody stupid bridge design!! Another example of the power of assumption! never assume that just because you're in the start of the tunnel that you'll get out the other side unscathed!

#52 12 years ago

Trying to fix a playfield myself. Color matching is a b$*%&!

1 year later
    #53 10 years ago

OK, I know this is an old thread, but I have now finally managed to beat my own original stupididty with this feat of astonishing dumbness which I can find no excuse for...

I recently got hold of a rare and beautiful find from Spain (a Rock 2500). The main reason for buying it was the quirky yet beautify backglass artwork. Anyway, it was shipped on a pallet and wrapped in cling film. I stood at the underside and slit the cling-film wrapping with a sharp knife, cutting it along the under-side so I didn't scratch the cabinet... the next thing I heard was a crashing and smashing sound! I instantly realised what a complete idiot I'd been as I sliched through the only stuff that was holding the head up... I didn't even get to see the beauty of the backglass before smashing it to pieces!!

I've been through 100s of games, so should have known this would happen and still can't understand how I could be so dumb! And what a glass to break!! Can't imagine finding another one of those so easily!!

Upright_cab_with_smashed_glass.JPGUpright_cab_with_smashed_glass.JPG Broken_backglass.JPGBroken_backglass.JPG

#54 10 years ago

Not so good

#55 10 years ago

I bought a new DMD and transferred the microlouvre film onto it and taped it down with packing tape and trimmed it just like I did the old one put it in the game and nothing.
    The old one had the metal pins but the new one had ribbon and when I trimmed the tape with the razor blade I had cut the ribbon in half.
    Dropped it in the trash and ordered another one.

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

The old one had the metal pins but the new one had ribbon and when I trimmed the tape with the razor blade I had cut the ribbon in half.

Nice confession... well done!

#57 10 years ago

Bought a NIB Safecracker for a great price (it was on closeout or something i think).

Opened it and found the glass had broken (dropped in transit??).

Called the distributor, they offered to replace the glass and knock even more off the price... i refused and had them come pick it up.

I assumed I would come across another one....

only bright spot is I bought like 3 full cases on tokens with it. I found them about 10 years later cleaning out the basement.... i think I sold the tokens for more than I paid for the pinball machine.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I've just remembered another one... I was staying in a hotel on a business trip and I'd bought some backglasses on the way... (including a mint condition Haunted House, and a few others). I put the glasses around the room to decorate it a bit... The next morning I had a shower, but the hot water didn't work at all... nothing was coming out of the tap... so I had to have a cold shower that morning... anyway, I went to work, and when I got back to the hotel at about 6pm, I opened my hotel room door to be confronted with a wall of steam! I'd left the hot tap open, and they'd obviously fixed the problem several hours previously!! As the steam cleared I was eagerly looking at the backglasses... all looked good... I'd got away with it... or so I thought! About 10 mins later, as I sat on the chair with the balcony door open to let the steam out, I heard a very light clicking sound... I looked up to see the paint of the HH glass literally lifting off in sheets!! A very sad moment indeed!! I ruined about 4 glasses with that little blunder!!

That hotel would have thought someone was murdered after I got done throwing my fit.

#59 10 years ago

I just recently brought my Whirlwind back home from spending the weekend at Gamewarp for others to enjoy...

Set it back up, played a few games when I realized the fan wasn't working....
    Opened the backglass, pushed on connectors, tested fuses.....all is good.
    Start gently tugging on wires, viola!! A broken red wire leading to the fan board, unfortunately it was behind the power board and grounded out , POP POP POP ! Then all the pop bumpers started firing on the playfield.
    Quickly turned off the power, checked for damages. Three fuses , hence the pop pop pop.
    Replaced all three, turned the machine back on and F106 -POP. Have a buddy with a spare power board come over and test it out a week later.....POP!

Lost my display and high voltage....Fast forward to last week, new display in , high voltage fuse removed and I'm no longer playing blind. Then my single drop opto goes bad....doh!

Lesson learned , turned the power off first! The life of a rookie pinball owner.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

OK, I know this is an old thread, but I have now finally managed to beat my own original stupididty with this feat of astonishing dumbness which I can find no excuse for...

I recently got hold of a rare and beautiful find from Spain (a Rock 2500). The main reason for buying it was the quirky yet beautify backglass artwork. Anyway, it was shipped on a pallet and wrapped in cling film. I stood at the underside and slit the cling-film wrapping with a sharp knife, cutting it along the under-side so I didn't scratch the cabinet... the next thing I heard was a crashing and smashing sound! I instantly realised what a complete idiot I'd been as I sliched through the only stuff that was holding the head up... I didn't even get to see the beauty of the backglass before smashing it to pieces!!

I've been through 100s of games, so should have known this would happen and still can't understand how I could be so dumb! And what a glass to break!! Can't imagine finding another one of those so easily!!

Lee, you have some of the best stories and some of the worst luck!

I had almost forgotten about this backglass. Did you ever check with Juan to see if his buddy can repro it?

#61 10 years ago

About 3 years ago we were moving to a new home. I decided to move my pins myself because I didn't trust the moving company to be careful with my machines.

After moving 2 with no problems at all, it was now time to move my favorite an first owned pin Firepower. Got it close to the truck to load it up and I picked it up at a weird angle I guess. Because the next thing I knew the machine was going down to my left and it hit the ground hard, flipping me over the top of it. Luckily no glass broke but the whole left side of the cabinet was scratched up something awful.

Felt sick about that ever since.

#62 10 years ago

Mine isn't so much a stupid move as much a its a stupid dream.

I want to play gilligan's island.....like bad. haven't played it since the few weeks it was at ziggy's taco and subs in buffalo ny in 92 or 93.

#63 10 years ago

My most memorable was losing a Judge Dredd off of my old truck.

Now the business is insured, the truck is insured, the game is insured. The only thing there not insured was me.

Instead of leaving it go, no I go catch the damn game. About tore my left arm off. Pretty weak for about a year and had trouble lifting my arm higher than my shoulder.

At least I saved the game.

LTG : )

#64 10 years ago

I sold a project machine to a guy one day and I wanted to make sure the machine would be something he was going to be able to fix fairly easy since he was new to pinball repairs. So I went through making sure all but some little stuff worked. Then I had to raise the playfield up for something and tossed the ball into my pocket.

Next thing you know it is lunch time and off I went for lunch. Got back and started back on the machine and the stupid thing wouldn't start a game. I spent the next 5 or 6 hours messing with it before I realized there was no ball in it. VERY VERY dumb!

#65 10 years ago

Bwahahahaha..... Hard to beat the van vs. bridge story.
    One of the dumbest things I've done (that I'll admit to)
    was buy an older EM without checking inside first. Lots of
    hard to find stuff was missing. Its a game I wanted soooo bad
    and was so jazzed to finally get one didn't even bother. Dumb.
    Steve

#66 10 years ago

Wasn't there a picture of an upright pin(backbox up, legs on, everything) on a flatbed trailer, about to be transported that way, where it didn't survive the trip?

#67 10 years ago

Taking the legs off of my TZ. Slipping and dropping the end of the game on my left foot.

Feel the pain!

4 weeks later
    #68 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

I had almost forgotten about this backglass. Did you ever check with Juan to see if his buddy can repro it?

Yes I did, and I've ended up buying a complete game so I can get a repro made... the snag is that this new game has a broken backglass too!! (It's in 3 pieces)... Apparently he can still get an image from it to make the 2 repro's I'll now need!!!

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-most-stupid-pinball-moment/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.