(Topic ID: 282360)

Your favourite pinball memories - arcade nostalgia

By Tranquilize

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-6 (resized).jpg
    B1731A40-B62E-4F88-A73D-3089046CC2B3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

One of my favourite arcade memories is the day that Cyclone arrived at my local arcade in 1983. I had never seen the inside of a pinball machine, and I was able to watch the arcade manager set up the game. I remember Lenny, the local weed dealer and pool shark, an Italian guy of about 40, always dressed slightly 70s pimp, was standing and commenting about the game to the manager. They were talking about the ferris wheel and how it was engineered and how the scoring appeared to work in relation to the ramps. A small crowd had developed around the game.

After it was set up and ready to go, Lenny plugged quarters into the game and turned around, looking at the small group. I was thirteen and didn't smoke weed or know him, but he had seen me around the arcade almost daily.

"You want in?" he asked.

Stupidly not understanding his offer, I said, "I don't have any money."

I'll never forget Lenny's big-toothed grin below his slender mustache.

"You're in" he said, pushing the start button.

"Hurry, hurry, step right up!"

We played quite a few games, with him talking about the shots and debating the best way to approach the game. He destroyed me every game, which was my first lesson about ball control and serious strategy. I learned a ton from him.

I was a lower-middle-class kid and could often be found in that arcade searching the coin-returns for a free quarter or two. Now and then, Lenny would come in through the back door, droopy-eyed, and he'd wave me over to play pinball with him. He was such a nice guy and funny as hell. Crude, but sharp and witty.

I'm now a professional and find that almost everyone I work with is not from the lower-middle-class. It's funny that I used to be ashamed of my prior status, thinking that I was short-changed in some way (no pun intended).

Now I fondly reminisce about the arcade days, the days when replays and matches enticed bonding celebrations, the days when I developed relationships over magical mechanical games.

What about you? Do you have any cool arcade memories?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

First game I ever played a ton was in some bar in New Jersey my band use to play in the 90s...
    They had a Funhouse and I used to play it constantly on breaks.
    I always wanted one and ended up buying one years later.
    I played older pins in the 70s and 80s but Funhouse was the first that really grabbed me.... once I owned one i got sick of it pretty quick though.

It's crazy how awesome a lot of the older games were in the arcade but lose that charm in a home environment.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

I was about 5 or 6 years old at the height of the video arcade craze and loved PAC-Man, Donkey Kong and Q-Bert, but the pinball machines at the arcade terrified me. Their lineup (as I recall) included Black Knight, Medusa and maybe Xenon - scary imagery for a toddler. My dad encouraged my to try Black Knight and I gave it one game, but I didn’t understand what was going on or how to play. Seemed like a waste of a quarter.
    It was decades later when I discovered what I’d been missing. I found a local arcade and discovered that these games could actually tell a story and have characters and be just as engaging as video games.

Interesting. I honestly can't remember when I first played...

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I remember seeing a Haunted House in Neptune’s Arcade at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk when I was barely tall enough to look down through the glass. Noticed the cool art and upper playfield first, then noticed the lower playfield through the lens and was totally amazed. 3 legit playfields! We had an EM at home that was a little less cool after that.
    Also, I have the wonderful memories of many Birthdays at Bullwinkle’s in Santa Clara (long gone). That was the best place ever. Put Chuckee Cheese and other family fun centers to shame.

Bullwinkles was awesome. Did yours have the water show? Super cool to watch while eating.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

1990,16 yrs old, Skipping School, Plantation Bowlerama, Hash Bots and System 11's. Jesus seems like a century ago.

I remember skipping school to play 720. I used to be able to finish the game on a quarter. At that time, all the great w/b machines were in the arcade too!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Now I want to know whatever came of Lenny! Have you checked FB?

That's an interesting question. If he was 40ish in 1983, he'd be in his 80s. With his smoking, I doubt he's still alive. Sadly, I have no idea what his last name is and if Lenny is even his official name. I only knew him for about a year.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I worked at an arcade as a teenager. I had keys to all the games so not only played games for free but technically got paid to do it lol.

Dream job! That's like the IGN guys getting paid to review Video Games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-favourite-pinball-memory-arcade-nostalgia-?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.