Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by chalkup8
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tool.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball_tools_006.jpg
    pinball_tools_005.jpg
    pinball_tools_004.jpg
    pinball_tools_003.jpg
    pinball_tools_002.jpg
    pinball_tools_001.jpg
    Pdeez_and_Tony.jpg
    carson.jpg
    IMG_0370.JPG
    hemostat.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-15-20-43-48-6241645.png
    brain.jpg
    th.jpeg
    Stanley_6_Way_Screwdriver_(068012)_468.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I'm sure this must have been asked before but what is your favourite tool for repairing, shopping or wrecking pins?
    Mine so far is this bad boy

toolzone-ss101-40-piece-1-4-and-3-8-dr.jpgtoolzone-ss101-40-piece-1-4-and-3-8-dr.jpg

Bought super cheap it is my acorn nut remover, my screw buddy and my post buddy

(Also apologise if anyone believe this to be more 'Off Topic' fare.

#2 10 years ago

I'd have to say my Cline nut drivers. Magnetic, long reach, very very handy. About the third item down on this page:

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html

#3 10 years ago

Second place would be these Husky ratcheting box wrenches. Large one for leg bolts, head bolts, small one for nuts on flipper mech crank arms. They're solid, chromed and built like a tank.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-Double-Box-Ratcheting-Wrench-Set-4-Piece-65497T/100007347#.UeQ3YI1wp8E

#4 10 years ago

Gary wins. I was going to post that as well. I've got the Klein hex-head magnetic driver that is just VITAL working on the underside of any pin ever made.

#5 10 years ago

I have both mentioned by Gary. The Kline drivers are very nice. The only issue I have with them, the hollow shaft on mine is relatively useless, as it's narrower than most any threads I need to sneak around.

Ratcheting box wrenches seem to have very limited uses for me. There's just too much material around the outer part of the ratchet, so it can't be used in places where thin walls (or open faces) are required. I find that there are a lot of tight spaces on my machines, so I don't use them often at all.

This is one of my favorites. Very, very handy.. and super cheap:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-T-Handle-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-22-Piece-DR71057/203410238#.UeQ4ItKcefU

T-handle ratcheting driver with bit set. That will cover 90% of the fasteners on any pinball machine. I keep a 1/4" traditional ratchet and an extension around for the places this can't get to. Also, a wobble extension or swivel are really nice for certain spots.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I have both mentioned by Gary. The Kline drivers are very nice. The only issue I have with them, the hollow shaft on mine is relatively useless, as it's narrower than most any threads I need to sneak around.
    Ratcheting box wrenches seem to have very limited uses for me. There's just too much material around the outer part of the ratchet, so it can't be used in places where thin walls (or open faces) are required. I find that there are a lot of tight spaces on my machines, so I don't use them often at all.
    This is one of my favorites. Very, very handy.. and super cheap:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-T-Handle-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-22-Piece-DR71057/203410238#.UeQ4ItKcefU
    T-handle ratcheting driver with bit set. That will cover 90% of the fasteners on any pinball machine. I keep a 1/4" traditional ratchet and an extension around for the places this can't get to. Also, a wobble extension or swivel are really nice for certain spots.

Deacon, with most ratcheting box wrenches you would be exactly right. Take a look at those Huskys though. They're closed, almost the same size as a fixed box wrench. They fit in some pretty tight areas and they only have to turn a very small arc to make the next cog on their gear.

#7 10 years ago

Doh, here's the ratcheting version. Mine actually LOOKS closer to the one above, they've changed the handle a little:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Ratcheting-T-Driver-Set-31-Piece-011090/203177670#.UeQ56NKcefU

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Doh, here's the ratcheting version. Mine actually LOOKS closer to the one above, they've changed the handle a little:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Ratcheting-T-Driver-Set-31-Piece-011090/203177670#.UeQ56NKcefU

How long is the shaft on that one? Just last night, working on a LOTR, putting the Shire VUK back in, I had to go find a 1/4" socket and a foot long extension just to reach the silly lock nuts under the PF on that. Would really love a nut driver set with a 10 to 12 inch shaft.

#9 10 years ago

This one....

index3.jpgindex3.jpg

#10 10 years ago

ummmm this one

Feed-Your-Hair-Beer.jpegFeed-Your-Hair-Beer.jpeg

#11 10 years ago

Magnetic bowl, so damn handy and cheap.

untitled.pnguntitled.png

#12 10 years ago

I have a Paladin Powerplay multitool that I absolutely refuse to leave the house without. It's helped me in so many situations. The nut driver and multimeter I was given in college are just as indispensable too.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

Take a look at those Huskys though. They're closed, almost the same size as a fixed box wrench.

Cool, Gary - I'll have to check those out. I have a set of Craftsman, right now.

Quoted from GaryMartin:

How long is the shaft on that one?

It telescopes in and out, I'd guess fully extended it's probably about 8" to the base of the handle, but I'm not positive (not near it).

I'm always trying to find ways to save space, but still keep things organized. I bought a Husky electrician's bag (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-16-in-Red-Fabric-Pull-Up-Handle-Tool-Bag-DISCONTINUED-87366N11/202826657#.UeRB2dKcefU) a long time ago, and it's served me quite well. For extra portability, I've also purchased a butane soldering iron for under PF repairs (http://www.amazon.com/Portasol-011289250-Piezo-75-Watt-Heat/dp/B003HHK7KG/ref=sr_1_11)

#14 10 years ago

Multi-flippy screwdriver thing. You can just about dismantle an entire playfield with this tool alone.

Stanley_6_Way_Screwdriver_(068012)_468.jpgStanley_6_Way_Screwdriver_(068012)_468.jpg

2 size philips screwdrivers
    2 size flat blade screwdrivers
    1/4" Nut driver (pull the screwdriver blade and it's a nut driver)
    5/8" Nut driver (same)

$4 - $7. You should have 8 of them. One in each car, toolbox, kitchen drawer, pinball shop...

Put these tools in a bag and you can deal with almost any pinball problem.
    Flippy screwdriver thing
    Adjustable crescent wrench
    Needle Nose Pliers (with a wire cutting blade)
    Digital Multi-meter
    Soldering Iron
    Solder sucker/wick/bulb and solder

I think you can build that whole bag for $40 with a trip to Harbor Freight and Radio Shack.

#16 10 years ago

Magnetic bowl! So simple.

Those Kline drivers do look nice. Pretty sure I've looked on that page before but it's easy to lose track of all the sites!

#17 10 years ago

This-

th.jpegth.jpeg

#18 10 years ago

This

brain.jpgbrain.jpg

#19 10 years ago

This also?

Can't say I've needed a light whilst doing my teardown. But then again lost screws weren't a worry.

Screenshot_2013-07-15-20-43-48-6241645.pngScreenshot_2013-07-15-20-43-48-6241645.png

#20 10 years ago

1. Fluke meter
    2. Metcal solder / desolder station
    3. switch adjuster tool from pinballife
    4. Millwax bulb tool
    5. Dewalt cordless screw gun
    6. Ipod
    7. Radioshack IR detector card

and I'm ready.

#21 10 years ago

I rarely hear this tool mentioned by anyone but I don't think I could get by without a hemostat. Great to use as a 3rd hand while soldering, reaching for dropped screw under a plastic or holding just about anything in place.

hemostat.jpghemostat.jpg

#22 10 years ago

A tool of many uses.

#23 10 years ago

1. Escalara
    2. Hakko 808
    3. Tablet with "the guides" loaded on it

#24 10 years ago

I also love this stuff.
    Great for getting solder out of holes in board work and clearing out the lugs on coils.
    Just touch the solder iron to the tape and the solder magically wicks into the tape.
    No mess, no fuss.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062744

#25 10 years ago

Small flat nose Klein in use over 40 years. New Klein wire stripper a recent acquisition.

LTG : )

IMG_0370.JPGIMG_0370.JPG

#26 10 years ago

This is my favorite tool.

carson.jpgcarson.jpg

#27 10 years ago

Hakko 808. Just went through a dead Tempest and it makes the job so much easier. Tempest is alive and well now.

#28 10 years ago

Magnetic pickup tool.
    I drop everything.

#29 10 years ago

My two are Tony and Parnell

Pdeez_and_Tony.jpgPdeez_and_Tony.jpg

#30 10 years ago

Here are some of the tools i found usefull, awfull or cool during my years in coinop.
    I love tools, i can't pick just one.

This one comes in handy whith stripped thread in brackets.Mostly used on location to save a bracket or make a repair that otherwise needed an expensive part you didn't bring to begin with.
    Put the tool in the stripped threadhole and use the first gauge that will start.

pinball_tools_001.jpgpinball_tools_001.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Next is very handy to clean threads from legbolts, levelers en mountingplates.
    Almost every pinball has damaged threads here in Europe and it's easy money made by rethreading them vs new.After you're done you can turn the bolts and levelers with your hand again.

pinball_tools_002.jpgpinball_tools_002.jpg

#32 10 years ago

Telescoping magnet i use in pinball repairs on a daily basis.

pinball_tools_003.jpgpinball_tools_003.jpg

#33 10 years ago

These little gems are very handy when you have stubborn postnut.
    Slide under the plastic and secure the metal post while you unbolt the postnut.
    Works most of the time except WPC games.

pinball_tools_004.jpgpinball_tools_004.jpg

#34 10 years ago

This tool could be high on my list of favorites.
    So cool with the swivel head and torque adjustment and very long lasting battery.
    Has unbolted and reassembled a lot of playfields with me.

pinball_tools_005.jpgpinball_tools_005.jpg

#35 10 years ago

Ok one more then, i could make this a very long thread i'm afraid.
    This one i made myself some time ago and it's perfect for removing SS Bally style metal bumperposts.
    I always struggled to get them out of the playfield.
    This is an swivel wrench with a 1/4 inch deep socket wich i drilled on the inside just wide enough to accept the complete post.
    Fits everywhere and no more sconing the playfield.

pinball_tools_006.jpgpinball_tools_006.jpg

#36 10 years ago

What do you think Drac's favourite tool is?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Nobody has mentioned Bryan Kelly yet

#38 10 years ago

My Hakko FX888 Soldering Station. Worth every cent I paid.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU/ref=sr_1_3

#39 10 years ago

One of these, you can power up anything on a pin for testing purposes. http://www.powerprobe.com/hook.php

#40 10 years ago

Mine is a plain, paper business card.

#41 10 years ago

Another favorite Tool .

#42 10 years ago

A giant jug o' MeanGreen. Step one on any new(to me) machine. Not necessarily a tool, but definitely a necessity.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

I'd have to say my Cline nut drivers. Magnetic, long reach, very very handy. About the third item down on this page:
    http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html

ugh.... i needed these when i did my last LED changeout....

#44 10 years ago

for some reasons my fingers are very important tool especially when change lights

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Small flat nose Klein in use over 40 years. New Klein wire stripper a recent acquisition.

hehe Lloyd,
    I just ordered that exact wire stripper by klein about 2 weeks ago on amazon and received it last night

#46 10 years ago

Those wire strippers are fantastic!

Chris

#47 10 years ago

Adam from Mythbusters was talking about those strippers. He said that if someone does a lot of wire stripping and you introduce that tool to them, it changes their life.

I showed Joe from Laseriffic those strippers and he just about cried. They are one of the first tool upgrades I recommend. Stop using your teeth or worse yet, wire cutters!

#48 10 years ago

I heard that, asshole.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Nobody has mentioned Bryan Kelly yet

#49 10 years ago

I have a guy I've done a couple restorations for and have a couple more to do for him. Great guy but has no skills when it comes to working on games.

He told me his favorite tool is his phone so he can call someone who knows what they're doing.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

He told me his favorite tool is his phone so he can call someone who knows what they're doing.

That is better than getting in there and doing more damage than good.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-favorite-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.