Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mmuglia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

What other pins besides Grand Lizard have no pop bumpers? I want to discover them!

I was scratching my head wondering why my Grand Lizard feels like it has better flow than my Diner, and Whirlwind. I think I now know why, it's the lack of pop bumpers. Pop bumpers (sometimes) are on the stop n go side of things, depending on what kinds of cool things the ball can hit after being held up by the pop bumpers. Basically, I feel like my game is held hostage in Diner or Whirlwind while I'm waiting for the pops to give me my ball back. I didn't realize it until today -- I am, and have never been a fan of pop bumpers. They look and sound cool, but they (sometimes) hold up the action a bit longer than desired.

I was trying to figure out why I am so locked into playing Grand Lizard in terms of how good it FEELS to play it. I don't require a deep rule set to be amused, I prefer flow and non-stop action. This playstyle preference makes me like Diner over Whirlwind, and I'm starting to fear -- if it weren't for the backglass artwork, I'd soon be re-rating Grand Lizard HIGHER than Diner and Whirlwind. People would call me absolutely mad for doing that. Nuts.

I think the fact that I am NEVER more than 1 second away from being in the action in Grand Lizard is why I love it so much. Ball lock takes 2 seconds, and it's a deliberate shot. I know the 2 seconds is coming, when I plan for it. Other than that, the game NEVER takes the ball away from me, when the GAME wants to. (Other than maybe a horizontal sling-fest for a few seconds, but then, I'm just getting my magna-save fingers in position, so I can't REALLY call that "out of action") -- I can't say this for any other game I own or have played. You cannot take your eyes off Grand Lizard after you click the start button. You *must* lock a ball to take a sip from your beer on this one.

This leads me to ask: What pins have no pop bumpers? I want to discover them!

thanks!
    MOF

======
    Big Guns
    Elektra
    Fire!
    Grand Lizard
    Judge Dredd
    Jungle Lord
    Junkyard
    Lightning
    No Fear
    Spectrum
    Swords of Fury
    The Shadow

#2 11 years ago

Shadow doesn;t but not a fan of it. NF would be my pick...especially if you like speed.

#3 11 years ago

Shadow is my favorite without pop bumpers.

#4 11 years ago

Big Guns.
    System 11 awsomeness with no pops.

Grand Lizard is my brother's favorite pin. It's a great game.

#5 11 years ago

Try Spectrum !

#6 11 years ago

SOF is another great non-pop bumper game.

#7 11 years ago

Judge Dredd,
    the best!

#8 11 years ago

Big guns comes to mind for me.

#10 11 years ago

Not really a fan of no pop bumpers all pins need atleast 3 But the games without I would have to vote shadow or dredd

#11 11 years ago

Fire! Great System 11 with no pops.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from stuartr7:

Judge Dredd,
    the best!

Have to agree!

#13 11 years ago

Elektra no pop bumpers ! 3 level playfields 6 flippers, true piece of art and great rules.

#14 11 years ago

No Fear.

#15 11 years ago

Easy one.................Shadow takes this one hands down!

#16 11 years ago

CP is one of my favorites of those without pops.

#17 11 years ago

JD......then NF.

#19 11 years ago

Dredd.

#20 11 years ago

Shadow, Judge Dredd and No fear are awesome!

#21 11 years ago

Williams FIRE!

#22 11 years ago

shaq attaq doesn't have pop bumpers...

#23 11 years ago

Judge Dredd! It didn't occur to me for the first few days that I owned it that there were no pop bumpers, but it always felt more flowing than most other pins to me. Definitely a great game; if you like how a game flows without a little pop-bumper-sanctuary, try Dredd.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

Shaq Attaq doesn't have pop bumpers...

:lol:Thank you for the best laugh I've had today! (and you're correct.)

#25 11 years ago

fire!, shadow, and judge dredd...easily the 3 best ive played

#26 11 years ago

No Fear & Jungle Lord

#27 11 years ago

Shadow, doesn't need them...has the battlefield

#29 11 years ago

Hey,

If you're looking for a list, I'll throw Junkyard in there, as it hasnt been mentioned. Favorite? The Shadow. That game either flies or is a clunky beast; depends on whether or not you can make your shots...

Luke

#30 11 years ago

Junkyard

#31 11 years ago

I don't know, does Arabian Nights qualify? I know they're back there but they can go a whole game without firing.

#32 11 years ago

I think Judge Dredd wins this race quite easily, but Shadow is good too. NF is OK but its no JD.

#33 11 years ago

Junk Yard. Awesome!!!

#34 11 years ago

Probably Judge Dredd or Junkyard. Not popular, but you get a lot of bank for your buck.

#35 11 years ago

Dredd but I am slightly biased since i just bought one

#36 11 years ago

Junkyard is another one without bumpers. For a favorite, I'll vote for Fire!

Post edited by Flamethrower : When I reloaded the page after commenting, saw that several people had already noted the pin I mentioned.

#38 11 years ago

The Shadow or Judge Dredd for me

#39 11 years ago

Junkyard. Don't own a NF but I played it at a friend's house and loved it!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

I don't know, does Arabian Nights qualify? I know they're back there but they can go a whole game without firing.

Even if you shoot the ball into them...the arrangement gets you a couple pops max and you're done. Total waste of space on that game.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Even if you shoot the ball into them...the arrangement gets you a couple pops max and you're done. Total waste of space on that game.

My seven year old said, "Dad, you should get like a million points per hit on the bumpers because they're way harder to get than the fire ball ramp".

Ha.

#42 11 years ago

Judge Dredd

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-favorite-pin-without-pop-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.