Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Slayer-kopia.jpg
    van_halen_logo-stripes.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

OK, first, don't get defensive, this is NOT going to be a project for everybody.

Second, this is just thinking out loud, bouncing ideas around.

Third, I may point people back to this first post, often.

#2 11 years ago

As I'm board out of my skull in this hotel room, working on the MM and Sexy Girl builds, I have an idea.

We collectively build a generic music theme pinball machine.

There is always somebody asking for a Metallica, Tom Petty (really, I've seen it!), Lamb of God, KISS, Danzig, Rush, Elvis and the Graceland Graverobbers, or Pixies machine. Yet, other than Kiss, it is pretty unlikely that there are enough buyers to be worth the licensing costs.

But, a generic "white box" game would let you build anything you want.

#3 11 years ago

How would this work, exactly?

We have a generic playfield made. There are some icons that work with just about any band. Big towering amps and speakers, hot chicks (well, maybe not on the Michael Jackson pin), lightning bolts, skulls, hungry muscle cars, tombstones, whatever.

We leave some broad sections of the playfield in just plain white. This way, laser printed water slide decals can be placed by the end user to put logos, faces, album covers....whatever fits your theme.

Place your decals, spray a coat of clear, and you got yourself a Misfits pin.

Because the playfield has no clear coat on it, and no royalties to pay, it can easily be made for less than $300.

#4 11 years ago

How do we do the programming for all those different pins?

We program one basic set of rules for all the games.

We pick a set of rules based on some other game we all love. Then each builder adds in the graphics and sounds for their game. Just like when you used to skin your own character in Quake, you will skin your own game using the programmed template.

We can use Proc as our system. It is easy to program and modify, works with the usual Williams hardware (so it doesn't feel like you are batting balls around in a cardboard box - ;,).

#5 11 years ago

How do we do the backglass?

There are now 2 guys doing direct, one off, translights. You supply the artwork, they print it on clear film that looks great when backlit.

Pick a bunch of photos from the web and make your rock n roll picture mash up. It couldn't look any worse than the "art" you see cobbled together on most pins nowadays.

#6 11 years ago

How do we design the playfield layout?

We use our favorite game layout and slightly modify it. Every time a new game comes out, everybody says "that is the same layout as ___".

Would a totally empty layout like AFM be good? Or would a fast and brutal TRON or AC/DC layout be the shit?

#8 11 years ago

What about all the stainless steel ball guides and wire guides?

Those will all be cut in bulk at any laser cutting joint. Wire is bent on a CNC wire bender in bulk also.

#9 11 years ago

What about the cab?

The cab is CNC cut and shipped flat, like Ikea furniture.

There are already a few companies doing this, so this is the easiest thing of all.

#11 11 years ago

What about the plastics?

Again, someone like CPR could do the generic plastic set.

Think amps, crowds, barbed wire, fireballs....stuff you see on every rock n roll anything.

#12 11 years ago

What about the playfield hardware?

We use all generic Williams stuff. Flippers, pops, slingshots targets...

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

People would run into legal trouble selling on the secondary market however.

I'm sure you could sell a single pin without problems. Just don't make a bunch of them.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Say you could manufacture this for 3,500$ or even less

Cab $200
    Proc + DMD + power supply $700
    Intel Atom $125
    Wiring Harness $50
    Translight $40
    Playfield $200
    Clear coat $250
    Glass $25
    Plastics $75
    Ball guides $70
    Flippers, Bumpers, coils, $600

===================

Total $2500 ~

Add some toys, maybe a coin door (or maybe not), speakers, sub, LEDs and I'm sure you could get it up to a nice sum.

Some people would already have a donor cab, some could do their own clear coat, some would have an old computer and could skip the Atom, ordering 100 Proc would save 20%, .......

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ash:

What about the voice/callouts? Generic female groupie maybe?

You download a free copy of Cool Edit Pro (or whatever the kids are using nowadays) and you just make your own call outs from Youtube, VH1, DVDs or whatever source you have.

Think of a real WHO pin with the YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH scream from Won't Get Fooled Again when you hit the jackpot...

Think of the church bell ringing for each bonus multiplier sampled from Black Sabbath NIB...

Think of your ball draining with the laughter from Iron Maiden's The Prisoner....

Or Vincent Price screaming RISE during your Black Widow multiball in the Alice Cooper pin....

Get creative people.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Hey Vid With all of your ideas maybe you should just start up a DIY pinball co. You got some good ideas bro. Im not joking about that.

Thank you for the kind words.

I've got a good paying job nowadays, and the pinball biz has this checkered history of constantly being on the verge of going under. I used to be an operator, so I have this rather tainted view of the industry.

But, I enjoy the idea of empowering others.

So, if a bunch of people want to build a MM from parts, sounds cool to me.

If someone wants to build a semi custom music pin on a single platform, I'd love to see what they come up with.

And of course if someone just needs help rebuilding their flippers, I'm there to help with that too.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

Would it, in theory be slightly cheaper/simpler with a non DMD display? I can only imagine how much of a task it is to make animations for a display like that.

It is a trade off (of course).

You could make it cheaper with a LCD than DMD, but there would be more work involved.

If you have ever made a moving .gif , you can make a DMD animation.

You can also encode the video from a music video or DVD.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

taken from my thread on KLOV:

I knew I saw it somewhere

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is this a dead donor pin, making your own from birch, or are you talking new cabinet? All the new cabinets I've seen for sale are like $1k.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=fd4a23efd97a1468e03b563271f6631b

We would be buying in bulk, of course.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

There is a big difference between fitting cabinet decals, playfield overlay decal, LEDs and maybe some custom programming ... As opposed to building a whole machine from a $2500 pile of parts.

One is obtainable by most (the former) .... The other not so (the latter...)

Quoted from vid1900:

.......... this is NOT going to be a project for everybody.

I may point people back to this first post, often.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Instead of a decal for our band, this is a "musical Jukebox"
    The center. like Mike D's Creature, is an LCD screen.
    You choose the images.....Album covers, Recent Concert trips, Babes, Video Concerts.
    Event Driven, could be 10, 15?? images videos....unlimited?
    This ties into the LCD screen portion of the backglass. Common size. Same thing, user programming.
    Pick your songs....a jukebox or from one band. Tie them through an interface, to events.

This is what I'm currently doing for the Sexy Girl remake:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sexy-girl-reissue-for-sale-now

I like your jukebox idea because a small group of people who like Floyd could work on that jukebox selection, another might work on The Meatmen, and yet another Mindless Self Indulgence.

It would never have to be "finished". New bands would only be limited by hard drive space.

You could even group by Metal, Classic Rock, Punk, 50s, whatever fit the theme of the day.

2 years later
    #56 8 years ago

I just re-read this thread today.

Funny all the references to ScatB like they were going to be a manufacturing powerhouse.....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-favorite-band-music-pin-right-here?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.