8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Slayer-kopia.jpg
    van_halen_logo-stripes.jpg

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

OK, first, don't get defensive, this is NOT going to be a project for everybody.

Second, this is just thinking out loud, bouncing ideas around.

Third, I may point people back to this first post, often.

#2 8 years ago

As I'm board out of my skull in this hotel room, working on the MM and Sexy Girl builds, I have an idea.

We collectively build a generic music theme pinball machine.

There is always somebody asking for a Metallica, Tom Petty (really, I've seen it!), Lamb of God, KISS, Danzig, Rush, Elvis and the Graceland Graverobbers, or Pixies machine. Yet, other than Kiss, it is pretty unlikely that there are enough buyers to be worth the licensing costs.

But, a generic "white box" game would let you build anything you want.

#3 8 years ago

How would this work, exactly?

We have a generic playfield made. There are some icons that work with just about any band. Big towering amps and speakers, hot chicks (well, maybe not on the Michael Jackson pin), lightning bolts, skulls, hungry muscle cars, tombstones, whatever.

We leave some broad sections of the playfield in just plain white. This way, laser printed water slide decals can be placed by the end user to put logos, faces, album covers....whatever fits your theme.

Place your decals, spray a coat of clear, and you got yourself a Misfits pin.

Because the playfield has no clear coat on it, and no royalties to pay, it can easily be made for less than $300.

#4 8 years ago

How do we do the programming for all those different pins?

We program one basic set of rules for all the games.

We pick a set of rules based on some other game we all love. Then each builder adds in the graphics and sounds for their game. Just like when you used to skin your own character in Quake, you will skin your own game using the programmed template.

We can use Proc as our system. It is easy to program and modify, works with the usual Williams hardware (so it doesn't feel like you are batting balls around in a cardboard box - ;,).

#5 8 years ago

How do we do the backglass?

There are now 2 guys doing direct, one off, translights. You supply the artwork, they print it on clear film that looks great when backlit.

Pick a bunch of photos from the web and make your rock n roll picture mash up. It couldn't look any worse than the "art" you see cobbled together on most pins nowadays.

#6 8 years ago

How do we design the playfield layout?

We use our favorite game layout and slightly modify it. Every time a new game comes out, everybody says "that is the same layout as ___".

Would a totally empty layout like AFM be good? Or would a fast and brutal TRON or AC/DC layout be the shit?

#7 8 years ago

This is an interesting concept. I wonder if the skit-B boys could kick out a generic "Blank Box" pin like this. A kit machine at a lower cost for the DIY guys and tinkerers out there.

#8 8 years ago

What about all the stainless steel ball guides and wire guides?

Those will all be cut in bulk at any laser cutting joint. Wire is bent on a CNC wire bender in bulk also.

#9 8 years ago

What about the cab?

The cab is CNC cut and shipped flat, like Ikea furniture.

There are already a few companies doing this, so this is the easiest thing of all.

#10 8 years ago

I want a Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique pinball machine so bad.

People would run into legal trouble selling on the secondary market however.

#11 8 years ago

What about the plastics?

Again, someone like CPR could do the generic plastic set.

Think amps, crowds, barbed wire, fireballs....stuff you see on every rock n roll anything.

#12 8 years ago

What about the playfield hardware?

We use all generic Williams stuff. Flippers, pops, slingshots targets...

#13 8 years ago

Vid, if you ever get REALLY SERIOUS about this, I am in. Potential toy, the rotating drum kit ala Motley Crue? And my personal pin will be Queensryche, speaking of a niche market band pin...

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm sure you could sell a single pin without problems. Just don't make a bunch of them.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I want a Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique pinball machine so bad.

Beastie Boys are cool, but Metal Elvis & the Monsters of Rock is where it's at man!

#16 8 years ago

I really like this idea.

And reselling would not be any trouble. My work with Mattel and several other companies has taught me to sell it as a "tribute" just like the bands!

#17 8 years ago

This is a really solid idea! If you could keep the cost down I think you could really have something. Say you could manufacture this for 3,500$ or even less, You would capture a huge group of pinheads that want a HUO game but cant afford those Sterns and JJPs. And we have already seen how people just love to personalize their pins with LEDS, mods and the like. I like your idea to make this as simple as possible and its up to the buyer to decide where to take it from there. Don't go the Limited or Premium edition route. Don't make it with LEDS, heck don't even include the bulbs, make the buyer get them, then they can decide on incandescent or LEDS.

#18 8 years ago

Pink. Floyd.

#19 8 years ago

Motörhead!

#20 8 years ago

Aerosmith. And I think you forgot to mention, audio-wise, that firmware will access a user-supplied set of mp3 files (preferably performed by or in tribute to your band!). And that the sound system will be of JJP/WOZ quality. (4 midrange drivers, 2 tweeters, one poly-cone woofer, 150 W/channel 2.1 amp, headphone jack...)

#22 8 years ago

I've been really wanting to make a Powerman 5000 themed machine for the fun of it. This would be up my alley.

#23 8 years ago

What about the voice/callouts? Generic female groupie maybe?

#24 8 years ago

VAN HALEN

van_halen_logo-stripes.jpg

#25 8 years ago

RUSH!!!

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Say you could manufacture this for 3,500$ or even less

Cab $200
    Proc + DMD + power supply $700
    Intel Atom $125
    Wiring Harness $50
    Translight $40
    Playfield $200
    Clear coat $250
    Glass $25
    Plastics $75
    Ball guides $70
    Flippers, Bumpers, coils, $600

===================

Total $2500 ~

Add some toys, maybe a coin door (or maybe not), speakers, sub, LEDs and I'm sure you could get it up to a nice sum.

Some people would already have a donor cab, some could do their own clear coat, some would have an old computer and could skip the Atom, ordering 100 Proc would save 20%, .......

#27 8 years ago

The Clash !!!

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ash:

What about the voice/callouts? Generic female groupie maybe?

You download a free copy of Cool Edit Pro (or whatever the kids are using nowadays) and you just make your own call outs from Youtube, VH1, DVDs or whatever source you have.

Think of a real WHO pin with the YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH scream from Won't Get Fooled Again when you hit the jackpot...

Think of the church bell ringing for each bonus multiplier sampled from Black Sabbath NIB...

Think of your ball draining with the laughter from Iron Maiden's The Prisoner....

Or Vincent Price screaming RISE during your Black Widow multiball in the Alice Cooper pin....

Get creative people.

#29 8 years ago

Neat idea.

#30 8 years ago

Hey Vid With all of your ideas maybe you should just start up a DIY pinball co. You got some good ideas bro. Im not joking about that.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Hey Vid With all of your ideas maybe you should just start up a DIY pinball co. You got some good ideas bro. Im not joking about that.

Thank you for the kind words.

I've got a good paying job nowadays, and the pinball biz has this checkered history of constantly being on the verge of going under. I used to be an operator, so I have this rather tainted view of the industry.

But, I enjoy the idea of empowering others.

So, if a bunch of people want to build a MM from parts, sounds cool to me.

If someone wants to build a semi custom music pin on a single platform, I'd love to see what they come up with.

And of course if someone just needs help rebuilding their flippers, I'm there to help with that too.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cab $200
    Proc + DMD + power supply $700
    Intel Atom $125
    Wiring Harness $50
    Translight $70
    Playfield $300
    Clear coat $250
    Glass $25
    Plastics $75
    Ball guides $70
    Flippers, Bumpers, coils, $600

===================

Total $2500 ~

Really think you got something....

#33 8 years ago

Would it, in theory be slightly cheaper/simpler with a non DMD display? I can only imagine how much of a task it is to make animations for a display like that.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

Would it, in theory be slightly cheaper/simpler with a non DMD display? I can only imagine how much of a task it is to make animations for a display like that.

It is a trade off (of course).

You could make it cheaper with a LCD than DMD, but there would be more work involved.

If you have ever made a moving .gif , you can make a DMD animation.

You can also encode the video from a music video or DVD.

#35 8 years ago

Cool. I did not know it was that simple.

#36 8 years ago

Bands that should have a pin by now:

Beatles
    Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    King Crimson
    Cream
    Yes
    Black Sabbath
    Frank Zappa
    ZZ Top
    Devo
    The Clash
    Ramones
    Talking Heads
    The Police
    U2
    The Smiths
    Pixies
    Depeche Mode
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    White Stripes
    Black Keys

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Tom Petty (really, I've seen it!)

umm, hopefully this actually gets produced !

I love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

taken from my thread on KLOV:

I think Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers would make an excellent choice. They have an incredible catalog of music. You can have Tom in his Alice & Wonderland hat as the mad hatter, the bumpers can be drums, easily implement their heart with the guitar logo for ramps / artwork.

Just look at some of these titles to use in the game to name a few:

-Won't Back Down
    -Free Fallin'
    -Running Down A Dream
    -Last Dance With Mary Jane
    -The Waiting
    -Even The Losers..get lucky (If your ball gets saved)
    -Don't Come Around Here No More (when you drain a ball / game ends)
    -Learning To Fly
    -Into The Great Wide Open
    -I Won't Back Down
    -You Got Lucky
    -Don't Do Me Like That
    -You Don't Know How It Feels
    -Refugee

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

taken from my thread on KLOV:

I knew I saw it somewhere

#39 8 years ago

You are a Brilliant person!

Why? Because we have a group here that has toyed with this idea, but perhaps not as well as you.

We came up with a few ideas to add to this thread.

Instead of a decal for our band, this is a "musical Jukebox"
    The center. like Mike D's Creature, is an LCD screen.
    You choose the images.....Album covers, Recent Concert trips, Babes, Video Concerts.
    Event Driven, could be 10, 15?? images videos....unlimited?
    This ties into the LCD screen portion of the backglass. Common size. Same thing, user programming.
    Pick your songs....a jukebox or from one band. Tie them through an interface, to events.

A board is being developed here that will do this....

Quality Rock/Music art like you have suggested. An Amp toy, a backstage multiball,
    a groupie bonus....limitless.

Same on the plastics, but provide extra Blank plastics, only a few key ones, with
    water slide print paper, and a template file. Change them as you need,

Leave room for the generic toys, to be Modded by user, knowing there are miniature
    guitars, Dolls, ephemera. It would ship full, but with easy changes....adjustable spot LEDs.

Ramps, rules, code.....Hmmm....ideas needed.

can anyone think of how to make this versatile, yet effective?

Thanks for allowing my BrainFart!

#40 8 years ago

Is this a dead donor pin, making your own from birch, or are you talking new cabinet? All the new cabinets I've seen for sale are like $1k.

Honestly, I've got a donor pin I just bought last week that I'm turning into a band pinball (custom artwork and sound), but I gotta get the original pin working good first (36 year old stern, probably just going to replace all the boards). After seeing the custom ghostbusters pin, I'm totally motivated to do the same.

#41 8 years ago

Good idea.

I think the best way forward would be to get someone like Skit B involved (as someone else mentioned) and they make them up, ready to go. After they finish their current project of course!

In reality, 99.5% of people don't know what is involved in building a machine from scratch. 1000s of hours of your labour on a one-off machine basis.

Whereas most on Pinside can easily fit LEDs or other minor jobs.

If a company made a "generic" white wood cabinet and playfield, which was sold working and running, it would be a seller I'm sure.

Then the end user can customize it as they want it.

There is a big difference between fitting cabinet decals, playfield overlay decal, LEDs and maybe some custom programming ... As opposed to building a whole machine from a $2500 pile of parts.

One is obtainable by most (the former) .... The other not so (the latter...)

My 10c ..

Dave.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is this a dead donor pin, making your own from birch, or are you talking new cabinet? All the new cabinets I've seen for sale are like $1k.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=fd4a23efd97a1468e03b563271f6631b

We would be buying in bulk, of course.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

There is a big difference between fitting cabinet decals, playfield overlay decal, LEDs and maybe some custom programming ... As opposed to building a whole machine from a $2500 pile of parts.

One is obtainable by most (the former) .... The other not so (the latter...)

Quoted from vid1900:

.......... this is NOT going to be a project for everybody.

I may point people back to this first post, often.

#44 8 years ago

woah, that's the cheapest I've seen! good to know if I ever get a very badly damaged pin

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Instead of a decal for our band, this is a "musical Jukebox"
    The center. like Mike D's Creature, is an LCD screen.
    You choose the images.....Album covers, Recent Concert trips, Babes, Video Concerts.
    Event Driven, could be 10, 15?? images videos....unlimited?
    This ties into the LCD screen portion of the backglass. Common size. Same thing, user programming.
    Pick your songs....a jukebox or from one band. Tie them through an interface, to events.

This is what I'm currently doing for the Sexy Girl remake:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sexy-girl-reissue-for-sale-now

I like your jukebox idea because a small group of people who like Floyd could work on that jukebox selection, another might work on The Meatmen, and yet another Mindless Self Indulgence.

It would never have to be "finished". New bands would only be limited by hard drive space.

You could even group by Metal, Classic Rock, Punk, 50s, whatever fit the theme of the day.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Bands that should have a pin by now:
    Beatles
    Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    King Crimson
    Cream
    Yes
    Black Sabbath
    Frank Zappa
    ZZ Top
    Devo
    The Clash
    Ramones
    Talking Heads
    The Police
    U2
    The Smiths
    Pixies
    Depeche Mode
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    White Stripes
    Black Keys

That list is a little short,isn't it?

Ween.
    Flaming Lips.

So many possibilities right there,nothing too serious.

#47 8 years ago

Tool!, nuff said!

#48 8 years ago

This is exactly what I am looking for! I stumbled on this forum while searching the internet for custom made pins. I would love to add one of these to my game room.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

Ween.
    Flaming Lips.

Two great choices that I forgot. LOL

#50 8 years ago

Englebert Humperdink Ha Ha Ha.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 899.00
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 109.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    € 9.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside