(Topic ID: 338408)

Your Favorite 3 Steve Ritchie Games OF ALL TIME?

By JakeFAttie

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ryguy80
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Favorite 3 King Ritchie games! ”

• Led Zap 19 votes
      2%
    • Star Wars 41 votes
      5%
    • Black Knight SoR 42 votes
      5%
    • AC/DC 80 votes
      9%
    • Spider-Man 77 votes
      9%
    • Game of Thrones 38 votes
      4%
    • Star Trek 83 votes
      10%
    • 24 2 votes
    • World Poker Tour 11 votes
      1%
    • Elvis 9 votes
      1%
    • Terminator 3 9 votes
      1%
    • No Fear: Dangerous Sports 22 votes
      3%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 99 votes
      12%
    • The Getaway: High Speed II 77 votes
      9%
    • Terminator 2: Judgment Day 51 votes
      6%
    • Rollergames 17 votes
      2%
    • Black Knight 2000 20 votes
      2%
    • F-14 Tomcat 30 votes
      4%
    • High Speed 43 votes
      5%
    • Black Knight 30 votes
      4%
    • Firepower 24 votes
      3%
    • Flash 12 votes
      1%
    • Superman 7 votes
      1%
    • Stellar Wars 3 votes
    • Airborne Avenger 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 846 votes by 287 Pinsiders)

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Please vote for three, no more, no less. Personal favorites from a gameplay perspective, let's ignore art, theme, music; really looking at his role in playfield design.

#3 1 year ago

FirePower
    F-14 TomCat
    Star Trek: The Next Generation

#4 1 year ago

I'm totally fine with other people not liking BN:SoR. That game is a gem and I refuse to believe otherwise.

My other picks were STTNG and T2

#6 1 year ago

Early observations... Star Trek: TNG is obviously the all time favorite, beating both AC/DC and the newer Star Trek by quite a bit (despite their being ranked slightly higher.) Right now Spider-Man is in second place. All time losers are Airborne Avenger (forgivable first game) and 24 (ouch). Led Zep, Elvis, WPT, and T3 also not looking popular at 1 vote.

#8 1 year ago

Way too hard to single out three. What an epic body of work. I can't wait to see what's next.

#9 1 year ago

I have owned 7 of his games

I'll list my top5

SW
    ST
    GoT
    SM
    T2

#10 1 year ago

T2, AC/DC and the hugely underrated World Poker Tour (though Steve credits Keith Johnson for how well the gameplay turned out).

#11 1 year ago

My three would be World Poker Tour, Getaway, and Black Knight SOR. BK2000, T2, and Rollergames deserve mentions though.

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

T2, AC/DC and the hugely underrated World Poker Tour (though Steve credits Keith Johnson for how well the gameplay turned out).

WPT has been getting a little more love lately. It shoots so smoothly and that Upper Playfield actually feels fun.

#12 1 year ago

I have played a few steve Ritchie games gotta respect the guy but the king of flow is all flow and thats where part of my qualm should land.

Would owns
    Fire power
    If someone dropped a free firepower in my lap its a keeper, haven't played it but the layout is catchy.

Terminator 2
    Layout could be less of a fan, maybe a drop bank thrown in their and you have a layout I could like better.

The theme though gotta go.

Supper man
    Layout is nice I guess, put it in a standard body then a atari widebody, the bottom left is creative.

Criticisms

F1 Tomcat
    F1 tomcat is drag, the upper 1/3rd is a drag, had he done something different maybe I could think about differently and put it higher then goldwings but this is what separates this out fron gold wings, the layout is different has more stuff to do then Tom-cat.

Despite my harsh Criticisms of Williams I have my cache of games I play more often and could own.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Superman
    Layout is nice I guess, put it in a standard body then a atari widebody, the bottom left is creative.

He pretty much did that, it was called Flash.

I'd like to see Steve do another 1978 Superman pin though.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Prequel to Diner?

Sequel to Dinner.

#16 1 year ago

STTNG and World Poker Tour for sure! Then I just went with Sword of Rage cause it’s hard for me to quantify the others over each other.

#17 1 year ago

Stern Star Trek
    HS2-Getaway
    High Speed

#18 1 year ago

ACDC
    STTNG
    SM
    But enjoy many more of his titles.
    Fire Power was one of my first pin purchases- won it at a local auction many years ago, loved that game.

#20 1 year ago

STTTNG
    Spider-Man
    Star Trek

#21 1 year ago

Stern Star Trek
    AC/DC
    The Matrix

#22 1 year ago

LZ

Stern Star Trek

T2

#23 1 year ago

BK
    HS
    ST

#24 1 year ago

High Speed III soon I think

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Call me crazy, but I've always kind of thought as NF as HS3.

It's like the Steve Ritchiest of all Steve Ritchie games! Loop-to-Ramp combo/Picard-maneuver, but with an infinitely repeatable, super-satisfying above playfield jump-ramp loop?!? Hell yeah!

#26 1 year ago

Trek
    Trek
    High speed II

#27 1 year ago

Spider man utilizes pf space better than any pin ever made. Shots are tight like the first Avengers (one of the worst pins in history), yet they aren't that difficult. Flow is crazy good. It was built during the penny-pinching era, but it is by far his best design, no question.

STTNG holds the record for swear-inducing frustration, the most rewarding side ramp, and most rewarding multiball of all time.

"The Picard maneuver. Nicely done."

#28 1 year ago

This was tough for me, not because they're all so great, but because they're all kinda middling? I guess none of his games have really knocked it out of the park for me. I chose three, but could easily choose a different three tomorrow. At any rate, seeing them all together like this, it's definitely an impressive body of work.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Call me crazy, but I've always kind of thought as NF as HS3.
    It's like the Steve Ritchiest of all Steve Ritchie games! Loop-to-Ramp combo/Picard-maneuver, but with an infinitely repeatable, super-satisfying above playfield jump-ramp loop?!? Hell yeah!

Agree. I feel like No Fear is his most ignored masterpiece. Maybe the theme hasn't aged well, but the upper level loop w/ flipper is definitely a unique evolution of his signature design element. Does any other game have a raised loop/flipper like this? Plus, what's cooler than a sassy talking flaming skull? I kinda hoped it would do better in the poll.

meanwhile I guess I need to spend some more time with spiderman.

#30 1 year ago

AC\DC
    ST\tNG
    F-14

Can't wait to see what he does for JJP!

#31 1 year ago

First of all Steve is the true King and ALL of his games are masterpieces

STTNG blows everything out of the water

I would say my least favorites are Star Trek because too many elements taken from the true mp-STTNG.
    Also AC/DC cannon seems like it was taken from STTNG and does not fit AC/DC-more of a novelty playing it on AC/DC with bank targets vs STTNG.

Steve is pure genius and anyone who talks crap about him-will be on my shitlist

#32 1 year ago

Something I found interesting while looking at Steve's wiki page. It says he is doing Elton John in 2023-do they have insider info?

I actually hope it is Elton before Potter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ritchie_(pinball_designer)

#33 1 year ago

STTNG is my favorite all time game. Aside from the excellent theme integration, music, and full cast voice acting, the layout on it is awesome and there are multiple ways to approach the game. I freaking love trying to get to warp 9.9 in that game. The canons are a cool toy that add to gameplay. The ship firing the ball back at you is classic. You get points for interrupting data (theme integration). The modes feel different. The side shot is difficult but doable. The enemy ship captures a ball and fires it back at you. There are 3 video modes. The wizard mode is hard to get to but satisfying. There are rewards for completing the modes. It's just... a great game.

Stern Star Trek is probably my second favorite. Great theme integration and it shoots like butter. It's fast and hard with a deep yet understandable ruleset. Have you ever gotten to 7 year mission?

Black Knight... 1980 old school. Freaking pure fun chaotic pinball. Love it.

#34 1 year ago

SM
    Stern ST
    T2

#35 1 year ago

24 ouch-are you kidding me?

24 rocks the casbah

What do I like about 24? I like the franchise-many have never seen the show and that is a shame in itself. I like the shots in the very back of pf with a wide open pf. So many games are cramped with chotchkies and ramps/targets too close to flippers causing sporadic gameplay. Playing 24 with wide open shots in back of pf is a dream. Back handing sniper hurry up-choice. 24 is a fantastic games folks-you heard it here first

#36 1 year ago

Forgot my top 3...

1. STTNG
    2. Spiderman
    3. Led Zeppelin LE(actually tied with Star Wars LE)

#37 1 year ago

i own 4 sr machines and have sold one.

the one i sold is very underrated and i do miss it....FLASH

Black Knight

Getaway.

#38 1 year ago

STTNG
    STAR TREK
    SPIDERMAN

All with his signature upper RT flipper cross shot, which is in so many of his games. It just works, and the theme on these 3 games is so well done.

Honorable mention to SUPERMAN, which is one of the most underrated early SS games, and certainly one of the best widebodies. Satisfying hitting those lit spinners for sure & getting that 3X bonus collect.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

24 ouch-are you kidding me?
    24 rocks the casbah
    What do I like about 24? I like the franchise-many have never seen the show and that is a shame in itself. I like the shots in the very back of pf with a wide open pf. So many games are cramped with chotchkies and ramps/targets too close to flippers causing sporadic gameplay. Playing 24 with wide open shots in back of pf is a dream. Back handing sniper hurry up-choice. 24 is a fantastic games folks-you heard it here first

Yes I also liked the show series and far as I remember when playing it did seem fun. The girl that did the call outs was pretty bad though.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

The girl that did the call outs was pretty bad though

Yea Chloe was annoying on the show as well with her dry persona but I actually like it in the game. It is cheesy and fun at the same time.

I also got hooked on Superman this last year-very under-rated(actually it is a turd and nobody should look for one until I find one first).

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

Won't be his next game. I doubt we'll see another Steve Ritchie game after the next one in probably 2 or 3 years so I don't know what your definition of soon is but I wouldn't count on this.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

All with his signature upper RT flipper cross shot, which is in so many of his games.

Just curious, is this really his invention? I associate it with him and the earliest game I know of with the upper flipper orbit is Flash, but maybe there is something earlier in the EM era that uses a third flipper in a similar manner? My knowledge of EM machines is pretty limited. Experts?

#43 1 year ago

I believe so...none really come to mind before.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Won't be his next game. I doubt we'll see another Steve Ritchie game after the next one in probably 2 or 3 years so I don't know what your definition of soon is but I wouldn't count on this.

I know it is not his next game, but it won't take 2-3yrs after that to make another title.

#46 1 year ago

Tough for me not to pick STTNG, but I went in order of awesomeness:

GOT
    ACDC
    SW

close to making the cut - STTNG

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Just curious, is this really his invention? I associate it with him and the earliest game I know of with the upper flipper orbit is Flash, but maybe there is something earlier in the EM era that uses a third flipper in a similar manner? My knowledge of EM machines is pretty limited. Experts?

Pat hand / Satin Doll are the only ones I know of.

#48 1 year ago

Black Knight
    Firepower
    High Speed

#49 1 year ago

1-Firepower
    2-HS
    3-F14
    4-STTNG
    5-SM

All pretty even fun factor for me but if I have too…

#50 1 year ago

Ac/DC
    LZ
    STTNG/HS

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.