Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough

By worldofglenn

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

First thing Saturday morning, I'm tossing the wife and kid in the car to make a quick 6 hour drive to pick up a Star Wars trilogy. As with most machines, I know its got its good and bad, but I am super excited!

If I go by alpha, my line up will be Star Trek: TNG, Star Wars, and The x-files.

This is a HOU and looms to be in great shape. I cut my newbie teeth on x-files, so I feel great about adding another sega to the stable. I have a speaker left over from stereo modding x-files, so I'll probably do that to it as well.

I gotta grab some z's, I'll have more tomorrow or Sun.

I'm excited with all the threads of people picking up machines lately.

#2 12 years ago

good luck on your road to a score

#3 12 years ago

Ok are we going to hear something soon? He said 6 hour drive 20 hours ago. Hope it all went well. Man how your thoughts change when you are a parent

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from worldofglenn:

I'll have more tomorrow or Sun.

I was hoping for a Sat. nite update as well.

#5 12 years ago

I hate to ask, but why would you want a SWT if you have a SW?

#6 12 years ago

I'm tossing the wife and kid in the car to make a quick 6 hour drive to pick up a Star Wars Trilogy.

Got to love a family that supports the "habit".

Congratulations . Hope the trip went safely.

#7 12 years ago

Made it home! Just after midnight. I should have specified, 6 hours there..... 6 hours back! Think San Fran to LA.

Pinball looks in great shape so far, but it's still in the back of the SUV. I'm going to take off a bit of dust from it, then start playing through it. The manual is the pre-production one, that caught me by surprise, so I may end up ordering the final one, I wonder if there are any significant differences. I need to check rom versions as well.

This is where is get fun!

So, to recap, current have X-files and ST: TNG, and SWT is the new kid in town. What next? Is it obscene to already be thinking what's next? Lost is Space? Starship Troopers? or look for an Addams family for the wife?

Thank you for the all kind thoughts, okay, time to get it out of the truck and start working on it!

#8 12 years ago

TAF would be the biggest hit, best game out of the three, but you could have LIS and SST for the cost of the Addams or less. Tough call, you have quite the space theme going there, grats on the new pickup!!!

#9 12 years ago

YOUR FATHER WANTED YOU TO HAVE THIS WHEN YOU WERE OLD ENOUGH

...sounds like a story about a gold watch!

driving to pick up three pins on Monday, stoked!

#10 12 years ago

Good to hear you made it home-safe and sound.

look for an Addams Family for the wife?

I would keep the wife happy,If momma's happy-everybody's happy!! + you might get some.......
more pinball machines later,if momma's happy.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I hate to ask, but why would you want a SWT if you have a SW?

Should have read your first post correctly.

#12 12 years ago

Dude, I'm glad you're an owner of The X-Files, because very soon into 2012 I'm buying
mine and I'll be able to ask you questions about it. I've wanted one since I got my first pin in
June of this year.

I like how you're keeping the flow of sci-fi in your pins, the exact same plan I'm doing.

I recently played Starship Troopers and like it alot. I will definitely buy one should it become
avaIlable years down the road.

After I add XF, next on my list will be Lost in Space. I've played the virtual pinball version,
like it alot.

Worldof, since you've had XF have you had any major repair issues with it? Install any LED's
In it?

Congrats on your newest acquisition.

#13 12 years ago

Yesterday was just one of those days.... We just moved to CA from Minnesota, and my basement mancave is a distant memory. So, we do have a pretty big garage, which is now where the pins will reside. Nothing is set up, and still have tons of boxes.... So, after moving boxes and things around, about 5pm yesterday, I got SWT in and booted. The cabinet, plastics, and playfield look fantastic. The pin was described as Mint, and I think it's pretty close. It doesn't appear to have much wear on it at all, under the playfield was disturbingly clean That being said, there was a layer of grime on the top of the backglass, and the playfield glass did not want to slide off. Looks like the playfield glass and lockbar absorbed a lot of soda, or guiness...

There was some battery corrosion, but it was limited to the battery box, and none had made it on the CPU board.

So, I start playing it, and I notice that the ball is not loading in the X-Wing. I pull off the turret cover and discover two broken wires for the magnet slide. One of which had a really crappy repair done on it. So, a few minutes with some solder, and it was up and firing! It's such a cool effect, I was delighted.

The only weirdness, is that the ball autolaunches constantly, so the only time I've ever touched the launch button is to fire the x-wing cannon, and that works fine.

If anyone has any ideas on the auto-launcher, please let me know. The roms are out of date, so I've got those on order as well as a new rubber kit. The plastic ramps look dirty, but not really used or grooved. Once the rubber kit arrives, then I'll really tear into it.

To JWS64, feel free to ping me any time on my x-files. As my first pin, I learned a lot from it. I did install some LED's around the playfield, but not a total conversion. When I first got it, the area in front of the cabinet was really torn up. It did have the metal plate, however, the plate was worn through! I was able to order the replacement plate from my local Happ guy, who had to order it from Stern. When I pulled the old metal up, the playfield was extremely gouged and my guess is that whoever did the metal plate fix, didn't fill the playfied as the service bulletin said to. So, I borrowed some wood filler from my model rocketry kit(don't get me started on the rockets ), filled the playfield and put the new metal plate. Looked a ton better.

Now the maget had never worked and I was able to trace it to a blown transistor on the power/io driver board (Rev F I believe). I took it a great repair guy at Liebermans in Bloomington, MN and he fixed it nice. Now I have full functionality, and I must say, that magnet is super cool, and really adds to the challenge.

Back to the main topic, I'll get some pics out soon!

Thanks all,

Glenn

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-father-wanted-you-to-have-this-when-you-were-old-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.