Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HOOKED
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So I know we've all seen the craigslist ad's where they price their item (pin) from things they've seen on eBay.
    Do you have a sentence or two that you say in an email that can tell the seller that basing off eBay is not necessarily true? You could be looking for a Gorgar but when you see it on craigslist and it reads "this pin sell for $3499 on eBay...." then you have a challenge in front of you to try to get it for $700.00. This can make the seller not want to talk to you. That's a big price difference,

Do you just walk away from the deal and monitor the ad until they realize it's not going to sell?

perhaps sending some eBay closed auctions may give you ammo to support your case?

-Rev

#2 10 years ago

Unfortunately this happens all too often and I never get to purchase the machine even if I break the news gently.

I am sure some guys persuade the seller but from my experience it is real hard to get them to move to a realistic level. And i do feel that some won't sell it to you on spite because you burst their bubble

#3 10 years ago

I have only had luck when I had in-person discussion with the sellers. Buying a machine comes with a lot of unknowns - you can only scratch the surface when looking at the machine before bringing it home and digging into it. I often describe how much parts could cost in the event something major is broken, how difficult it could be to track down parts, and how many hours of labor it will take to get it up and running to an acceptable condition. Most of the sellers have been receptive. I would be happy to pay "street" prices if I knew the machine was loved and taken care of (properly), but I try to create the largest buffer I can when negotiating in case I run into a lot of unexpected issues, which is more than likely to happen (especially with an older machine)

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

I am sure some guys persuade the seller but from my experience it is real hard to get them to move to a realistic level.

I sometimes think it's best to just wait but by then someone else moved in by saying the right things.

-Rev

#5 10 years ago

The guy who just built my workshop saw the Joust in my garage. We talked about it a little and he said he had one how bought a few years ago. He told me what he paid for it and what he'd like to get for it. I didn't know what the current value on it, so I looked for it on ebay. No listings. I went to the Boston PInball price guide and felt bad when I saw that the value range on there was nowhere near what he paid for it. I told him where to go to look for a current price range, but haven't talked to him recently to see if he looked it up.

If it weren't somebody that I already knew, I would be a lot more direct and work on the haggle. THis machine isn't going anywhere until he starts looking to move, so I'll sit on the idea of buying it for a little while.

#6 10 years ago

I usually just email asking if they would take $500.00 and see what happens.

#7 10 years ago

Depends really. Sometimes people get upset that you are somehow trying to scam them, they get pissed off, and no sale.

Others may do more research, contact you back, and sell the game.

For example, A few years back a friend found a lady selling 30+ games and jukes that her recently deceased husband had collected, including a 1956 United Bowling Alley. I went to check out the game. It is a early 15 footer that does not come apart, and unbeknownst to me at the time, was missing the entire ball lift assy. Bowler was surrounded by pins, jukes, etc..and would not be an easy move.

So I made an offer. She rejected, and came back with something much more than I was willing to spend. I thanked her, let her know it was too much for me (and why). I also said if you change your mind to please call me.

Well about 3 days later she called back, and accepted my offer. (I probably ended up still overpaying due to the missing ball lift stuff)

#8 10 years ago

Unfortunately people think they can take any pinball machine ( SS or EM), add LEDs,spend 1000+ hours "shopping" it, spend a boat load on parts, and then charge $2500-$3000 for a machine. Then when you give them an actual ball park value for the machine, they get all offended. Somethings gotta give eventually...

My personal favorite is the ever present KISS pinball machines that always show up. I don't think I've ever seen one listed for less than $5000

#9 10 years ago

Negotiating over the price through e-mail is no different than buying it through e-mail.
    Ya just don't do it!!
    As mentioned, don't try to tell them their price is way over the current market value,
    you'll just "upset" them and an argument will ensue and neither will win.

If the asking price is ridiculous, don't even bother with them.
    If the price is high and your interested in it, then e-mail all the typical questions you want
    answers to. Don't even mention the price!
    When your satisfied and want to see the machine, take the time to print
    off current selling prices/values and bring them with you for "ammo" when you go to look at it.

"Burst" his bubble while your right in front of them with cash in your hand and a vehicle to load it into.
    If their price is that high, chances are he hasn't had anyone else contact him.

Moral of the story, don't negotiate through e-mail. Cash in your hand, eyeball to eyeball, with a
    vehicle to take it home, and be ready to walk if he doesn't counter-offer with a price you can live with.

#10 10 years ago

sounds good GMan

-Rev

#11 10 years ago

I say tell them what your willing to pay if its in the condition you think it is in from the pictures or description
    If the invite you over then to see it game on
    If they don't move on

#12 10 years ago

Go see it in person and offer what its worth to you.

If its good with them you will take it home ...if not you might take it home in a few weeks ...might not.

I got a non working Wizard for $100
    Got a half working LAH for $500
    Got a Vector $150

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-email-persuasion-when-popping-the-sellers-bubble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.