(Topic ID: 301680)

Your EM games - turned on or off when not using?

By Animal

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GSones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you leave your EM games on for periods of 4 to 5 hours at a time most nights or only turn them on to play and then turn them off since they may be near the end of their life?”

• I leave them on for a few hours at a time - no concern 7 votes
    19%
  • I only turn them on to play and then off they go to preserve what life they have left 29 votes
    81%

(36 votes)

#1 2 years ago

Im a new owner of a Card Whiz and the transformer looks like its been through a war. For owners of EM games, do you turn them on, play them and then turn them off as much of the mechanics, wiring etc is very old...or do you leave them on for a few hours when your in your games room enjoying the glow of your vintage game?

#2 2 years ago

Off, absolutely OFF.

Good luck finding a new Crescendo backglass..... at least your game has had repros made, I believe....most EMs aren't that fortunate.

#3 2 years ago

Love the Crescendo backglass art - have you left incandescence lights in or changed to leds to reduce heat?

#4 2 years ago

Would you leave your car running 4-5 hours in the garage at night or would you shut it off?

John

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Love the Crescendo backglass art - have you left incandescence lights in or changed to leds to reduce heat?

Incandescent.....for now. I do plan at some point to put some very low powered LED (gotta be careful with that... some of the big 5050 SMD actually generate just as much heat as a normal lamp!) in there, but....not too much reason to do so.....it's been head-off for ~3 months so far. Predict it might be another 3 before I get it set back up. I also need to find some anti-UV film for the front of the backglass as I'm going to mount a big UV panel over the top at some point. That'll all get done at once when I get around to it....probably about the same time I repaint the cabinet and have the rails done in UV-reactive powder to match the playfield I did.

#6 2 years ago

These are commercial machines which are designed to be on all day long. In a home environment, just turn them off if they are not going to be played, save on electricity.

#7 2 years ago

Turn them on when I am playing or have people over, then off when done. And I use 1smd led bulbs for anything that doesnt flash. Probably not necessary, but then I dont have to change bulbs ever again (most likely). Oh, and wax regularly. Keeps them fast and playing fun.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Im a new owner of a Card Whiz and the transformer looks like its been through a war. For owners of EM games, do you turn them on, play them and then turn them off as much of the mechanics, wiring etc is very old...

Both are fine; so whatever you like. There's nothing wrong with with turning them on & off, it doesn't stress the machine.

#9 2 years ago

If I know we'll be playing them that day I turn them all on. They may be on all day, but I always turn them off before we go to sleep (if I remember to).

-Paul

#10 2 years ago

Have all my machines connected so I can ask Alexa to turn all on or individual. No on/off switch on most of my EMs. I don't like to leave them on for an extended period.

#11 2 years ago

I turn them off when they’re not being played but it has absolutely nothing to do with “preserving” them. It’s a complete waste of electricity!

I also try to turn off the lights when leaving a room too!

#12 2 years ago

As long as I’m home, awake and going to play that day, I leave them on (in other words everyday).

To me, a big part of the fun is walking into my game room and seeing all of these beauties in a line, lit up and ready to play.

#13 2 years ago

Off when no games are being played in my gameroom. Not to preserve life specifically, but because it just makes good general sense to do so.

#14 2 years ago

I enjoy watching my electric meter spin. So I vote ON.

#15 2 years ago

I have EMs that are on location now that have been on 15+ hrs a day, 6 days a week before COVID and after a year-and-a-half I have had no reason to pull the glass. They’re super-resilient.

EMs are F’ing tanks.

If I could have all my games on route EMs and Iron Mans on I would.

#16 2 years ago

I would be definitely turning off when not in use, but poses an interesting question of, how long could you actually leave a game on for? Would be an interesting experiment in a controlled environment of a pinball just being left on before a failure happens

#17 2 years ago

When it is just the family I only turn them on when in use, but when we have people over I leave them on for the duration of the event with no qualms. Have brought some games to Houston's Arcade Expo and they did fine for the weekend on. I have also worked on some at the arcade, and they are pretty darn resilient once set up. I do use some leds in areas that could build up heat.

#18 2 years ago

I only turn them on when I play them unless we're having people over, which is rare (once or twice a year.)

If I catch a good buzz I may turn them on and look at them but they're probably on less than 12 hours a year. I might play one every couple months.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from DKong:

, but poses an interesting question of, how long could you actually leave a game on for? Would be an interesting experiment in a controlled environment of a pinball just being left on before a failure happens

Well with the machine on and not playing its basically a transformer & and wiring leading to light bulbs so there really isn't much to fail.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

the transformer looks like its been through a war.

Please elaborate? Napalm damage? 7.62mm holes? What?

#21 2 years ago

The other concern is that is the EM being monitored for in case something burns up while unattended? Is that a risk you want to have and risk loosing your entire home or out building?

#22 2 years ago

unattended? Is that a risk you want to have and risk loosing your entire home or out building?

That’s exactly why I flip the breaker and turn off the power to all my games. I don’t trust 50-60-70 year old machines. Why gamble, plus no waste of electricity.

#23 2 years ago

I keep the EM's on when playing (3-4 hours a couple of times a week) and leave them off the rest of the time. I do clip the coin lockout coils so they won't be energized for extended periods.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-em-games-turned-on-or-off-when-not-using?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.