(Topic ID: 8056)

Your choice and why. (AKA the second pin in my, soon to become, addiction)

By ryanleblanc

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by NimblePin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4293.jpg
pinballExpo2010_21.jpg
3d6b76d8ad98bd1f9a0923e86a926-orig.jpg
#1 12 years ago

After I get a world cup soccer 94 for myself this christmas, I've been told I will likely want to buy MORE and MORE pins. Here are three games. They all have slightly varying depths of rules, but none of them are too shallow, but none of them could ever be called "deep". I'll list off some facts about each to help with decision making and you guys can give your voice on which is best and why.

First we have Black Knight 2000:

It has seven major shots, a motorized drop target bank, six standard drop targets, magna save, and kickback. It has comparatively deep rules for it's time, with 16 different "random awards," two ball and three ball multi ball, and the "King's Ransom" wizard mode. The art looks great has the colours are warm and inviting. The music is kick ass, maybe after half a year the music would get annoying, I don't know, it's possible.

Next we have Earthshaker:

It has seven major shots, an animated "Fault" diverter where Nevada and California spilt to lock a ball, a captive ball, 3 drop targets, a spiral skill shot, various ramps, a challenging scoop shot, a cleverly placed kick-out hole and a light up building that indicates which shots to shoot. It has shallower rules as it does not have a mini-wizard mode, however that is all it lacks, it features 10 different "random awards", and it has 2 ball and 3 ball multi ball. The art is superb, really colourful, fun and inviting. The music is excellent and would never ever get annoying, and the voice quotes are also fantastic.

Finally we have The Getaway HSII:

This game is a bit newer as it features a DMD as opposed to alphanumeric display. It features only five major shots (six if you count the lower entry to the bumpers), however lack of shots aside, the game does feature the supercharger ramp, a ball locking ramp and a gear shifter instead of a plunger. The game also has a traffic light that indicates when locks are ready. This game features a bit deeper rules, including 14 "random awards," 5 "redline awards," 2 ball and 3 ball multi ball, a video mode, and the fifth redline award is a mini-wizard mode. The art is good, not spectacular though, the music is good, and the voices are good too.

Opinions? Advice? What would be the best choice for my second machine?

3d6b76d8ad98bd1f9a0923e86a926-orig.jpg3d6b76d8ad98bd1f9a0923e86a926-orig.jpg IMG_4293.jpgIMG_4293.jpg pinballExpo2010_21.jpgpinballExpo2010_21.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Getaway! Haven't tried an Earthshaker yet. BK2K loses my interest pretty fast for some reason.

#3 12 years ago

I've only played 2 of your 3 choices (ES and HSII) and I own an ES and love it. I would lean toward one of those but then again I'm a bit biased. Earthshaker is a lot of fun when the machine is shaking during multi-player. Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you choose.

#4 12 years ago

I own a Black Knight 2000 and I would love to get an Earthshaker. I never really was a big fan of High Speed 2. Black Knight 2000 and High Speed 2 are Steve Ritchie designs and Earthshaker is a Pat Lawlor design, so you've got good taste in all your choices.

#5 12 years ago

BK2k is one of my all time faves, I never see them in my area.

#6 12 years ago

Sounds like a good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to me! Probably not much help, but I would take whichever one comes along first thats decent in quality and price.

#7 12 years ago

Haven't played ES since the 80s so cannot really comment on it.
I sold my BK2000 and have a Getaway. I would say neither are deep. Both are fast and fun. I like Getaway better. The split playfield bugs me on BK. But both are addictive because of the speed and simplicity. Getaway sounds great with the speaker upgrade IMO.

#8 12 years ago

BK2000 is a MANs game
he will laugh at you after kicking your ass
and challenge you- 'stand up and fight'

#9 12 years ago

Let's hear just a couple more opinions, bumping this.

#10 12 years ago

BK2K has a lot more character, it's worth owning one at least once just to experience it - great lightshow, incredible music and super fast playfields.

#11 12 years ago

Any of these three would be excellent.

#12 12 years ago

Dude, BK2k is on my dream list. One of the few pre DMD era games I gots-to have. Just my 2-cents

#13 12 years ago

I'd go with HS2.

#14 12 years ago

Owned 2 BK2K's and 3 HS2's including one currently. In my opinion, in a small collection BK2K is the way to go. Set it up steep and that game will kick your ass for years and years and will make you a much better player. HS2 is a really good, fun game, but in my opinion will get old quicker

#15 12 years ago

I don't like the artwork or supercharger that takes up all that space on HS2 and doesn't do anything for gameplay. I also don't like the big upper separate playfield in BK. With only a couple exceptions I don't like Steve Ritchie's games.

ES is fun though. It's different enough from what you have to keep it interesting. Plus everyone should have a sys11 at least once and it's one of the better ones. I also think it will be the easiest for you to sell/trade down the road.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I don't like the artwork or supercharger that takes up all that space on HS2 and doesn't do anything for gameplay. I also don't like the big upper separate playfield in BK. With only a couple exceptions I don't like Steve Ritchie's games.

ES is fun though. It's different enough from what you have to keep it interesting. Plus everyone should have a sys11 at least once and it's one of the better ones. I also think it will be the easiest for you to sell/trade down the road.

It is a nice advantage to be able to sell it easily when the time comes to buy my BMW Z4. Hmm not many of the others here seem to have much love for earth shaker though. Urg, making decisions is not my strong suit at all.

#17 12 years ago

Earthshaker is a blast, if you can get a good deal on it, it would totally be worth it.

#18 12 years ago

I'd go with BK2000 too. Great pin, but hard to find. HS2 is also a blast to play, unfortunately I've never played Earthshaker so I have no idea about that pin.

Quoted from DrStarkweather:

BK2k is on my dream list. One of the few pre DMD era games I gots-to have.

This quote says it all for me too.

#19 12 years ago

In order, if it was me...
ES
BK2K
HSII
The few times I played ES, loved it. Had that gotta play one more time feel to it. Lawlor hits it out of the park again on this one.
BK2K. Never played it, only on visual. Very highly rated game so there has to be a reason. Thats good enough for me to want it just on hype alone. Ive only heard good things about this title.
HSII. Had this game for a while and though I really enjoyed it, I wasnt sad to see it go. BUT, if another popped up at a fair deal, I could see it back for a while. Its a walk up to and have fun game. Theres just something very satisfying about hitting the loops and I like how you have to earn the mutliball. Not to hard, but not an easy, all you have to do is play and you'll get it mutliball.

#20 12 years ago

I agree with donjagra...
Earthshaker is a blast to play!
BK2K is great fun too, however you might just have more bad games than good games on it- which might manifest into some anger-issues later down the road...
HSII is also a "No-Brainer" when it comes to fun.
Good luck with whatever pin you decide on!

#21 12 years ago

Thanks Everyone For All Your Input!

I think I will keep my eyes peeled for an Earth shaker, because I've played it before and loved it (even though the one I played was terribly dirty, the fun shined through the dirt I guess). I've never played BK2K before, but I'm sure it's also great, so if I see a good deal on it before I see an Earth shaker for sale near me, then I'll pick it up instead. I have discovered a Getaway not too far from my house so I don't really need to own it anymore.

So yeah #1 Earthshaker, #2 BK2K.

Again thanks everyone for the help! I'm terrible with decisions ;D

#22 12 years ago

Plus, you can be cool like Brandon Walsh and put it in your entryway!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-choice-and-why-aka-the-second-pin-in-my-soon-to-become-addiction and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.