Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scan0001.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    IMG_4454.JPG
    SpinWheel_2 036.jpg
    beforeafter.jpg
    IMG_4572.JPG
    20130804_104845.jpg
    386302.jpg
    349150.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hiya.
    I am rebuilding a 1969 Gottlieb. Lots of heat and humidity damage. Peeling paint, dents & original finish problems.

I'll be taking the cabinet outside for a good sanding, dent/blemish filling (bondo) and final sanding.
    I have a couple paint questions if you don't mind.

1. What type of paint would you use? Enamel? Oil-based? Something else? I used rattle cans on my previous two rebuilds which used the same 3 colors (Red, white & blue). My present game also use the same 3 basic colors but I want more variety so I will be using an air sprayer for color control.

2. How can the spider web type snot/string background cabinet patterns be reproduced?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Steve,

I have only done one re-paint but I was really happy with the Montana webbing spray. I know others have their own approach, and Dave (Boilerman) I think has the technique well practiced using spray gun, so worth asking him - he is super helpful.

Product link : http://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-spider-effect-spray-color/

Picture of my my cabinet head before I added colors (yes, I should have not webbed the top!)

349150.jpg349150.jpg

I, like you, used Krylon rattle cans for the finish, so cannot help with your first question.

Completed repaint:

386302.jpg386302.jpg

Danny

#3 8 years ago

Nice looking job there

#4 8 years ago

I've had great success w/Krylon(mostly...have used a couple of different brands because of color availability)rattle cans so I can't comment on that

I've webbed a few different ways and found the most closest to original is by using a automotive sprayer. 1st was with the can-o-webbing...much thicker but in the begining of learning stage it was good enough. Then I learned the automotive sprayer method and was fortunate enough to get lacquer paint. Not knowing anything about it, it wasn't to bad to learn. I had great help from a guy on RGP years ago and at the moment can't remember his name unfortunately. If you search RGP you can probably find it.

Clay has instruction on his site w/a method. I do remember some buzz quite awhile back about the Montana paint and that seemed to be another option.

I would suggest what ever method you use PRACTICE on some wood(cardboard etc)before you do the cabinet. It does not come out exactly the same every time no matter what method or what you do. The 1st time was nerve wracking to say the least.

Good luck! Post some pics when your done.

#5 8 years ago

Found it for you. It was Marvin Geisting.(I think that's the correct spelling. If not I apologize if you're out there Marvin) What a great help he was.

Check it out: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/Webbing$20a$20cabinet/rec.games.pinball/Bst2Fp6E2H4

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Found it for you. It was Marvin Geisting.(I think that's the correct spelling. If not I apologize if you're out there Marvin) What a great help he was.
    Check it out: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/Webbing$20a$20cabinet/rec.games.pinball/Bst2Fp6E2H4

Hey thanks, I hadn't seen this before but sounds promising.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

yes, I should have not webbed the top

yes, you absolutely should have. My all original Kings&Queens has webbing on the top - you're safe.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks all. I'll check my local Hobby Lobby and Michaels for webbing paint.

I've done a lot of google searches on the subject since opening this thread. If I can't find the webbing cans then I'll put thick unthinned (or thickened) black enamel in my spray gun and use low air pressure and see if I can produce strings.

I'll post pics of what ever I go with.
    Thanks again!

#9 8 years ago

I'm not trying to pick on anyone but I've never seen a canned webbing job that wasn't too thick. Original webbing as it came from the factory was more sparse, the webs more more the consistency of hair than what happens using the cans.

Clay's guides have webbing instructions. I used the Weiler brush method. It takes some practice, but I think it came out pretty well.

Here's the Royal Guard I did using the brush. Not perfect by any means, but fairly close to what original webbing looked like

20130804_104845.jpg20130804_104845.jpg

As for paint, I've used Krylon in the past but Montana is the best rattle can paint I've ever used. It's nearly impossible to make it run. The pigment is fantastic. And there's a huge selection of colors to match pretty much anything you want.

I think using a gun and air is the best way, but if you don't have those, Montana paint is fantastic.

#10 8 years ago

IMG_4572.JPGIMG_4572.JPGI second the nomination for Montana Spider effect paint for webbing. the only drawback is the texture. You can feel the webbing but the look is spot on. As for the base colors, whatever matches best. I use rattle can Krylon, Rustolem or even Montana Black brands.beforeafter.jpgbeforeafter.jpgSpinWheel_2 036.jpgSpinWheel_2 036.jpgIMG_4454.JPGIMG_4454.JPG

#11 8 years ago

Don't know if I ever share this with you or not. This is out of a 25 year old custom spray paint book.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOzF2yD4cKYWsfTfPGpRDU5nLaDKAZmtBTNZRDF

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Don't know if I ever share this with you or not. This is out of a 25 year old custom spray paint book.
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOzF2yD4cKYWsfTfPGpRDU5nLaDKAZmtBTNZRDF

This link comes up a dead end.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

This link comes up a dead end.

https://goo.gl/photos/v675iza5GhxKntJCA

Sorry, try this one. I can't seem to post pictures lately, on several different computers at several locations. This sucks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-cabinet-refinishing-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.