paltrowsurfing.jpg
paltrow02.jpg
IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG
giphy-1 (resized).png
IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg
20171007_210826 (resized).jpg
20171208_223007 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago

Maybe see if there is a belles and chimes in your area if you feel like linking up with other women players.
My better half recently joined the local belles chapter and loves it!

Aside from that, get out and play as many games as you can wth others, male or female, and watch, talk, learn.

Welcome to a great hobby.

1 month later
#94 6 years ago

For any new player with their own game in the home, I suggest taking the glass off and training.

This may seem silly but it is a great way to efficiently use time to get better quickly.

Put a sock in each outlane and spend a full session just shooting specific shots. Avoid multiball (turn all settings to hard to make it less likely to happen) and just try to specifically work on making left orbit, then left ramp, then rocket, then right ramp, then right orbit.

Do these shots in 2 different ways. First is from a trapped ball. Second is on the fly from returns.

A few hours of this pretty boring style of play can really help.

While doing this, try to focus your attention on the flippers (not the shot). Keep your eyes on the flippers and pay attention to the point on the flipper where the shot is made. Then repeat.

I think aiming is the biggest skill that does not come naturally for most players. After you get better at aiming and making shots at various ball speeds, then you can learn more intermediate stuff (dead pass, post pass, loop pass). After that come nudging and other more advanced stuff.

I know many think that nudging should come earlier but honestly nudging is the crutch skill. It is essential to learn, but if you just make 100% of your shots perfectly, then nudging will never matter

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

I LOVE this idea. I'm totally going to do it. I want to practice the same shots over and over and this will help me do it! Thank you!

I think those practice sessions could work really well on GOTG since it is a mode based game. After you get good and repeatedly making the same shot, then start a mode and ONLY play that mode. That will challenge you to make multiple shots (sometimes on the fly and other times from a trap).

Just keep in mind that the main skill to work on at the start is all aiming. Dont get distracted with the other things just yet. Focus on aiming and you will get better very quickly.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

This is my plan: glass off, socks in the outlanes (can i block the drain too??), practice core shots over and over as well as some flipper skills like passing (I can do post pass on the right flipper but need to get some other passes under my belt) and live catch (I'm pretty decent at it)...
I still feel like I don't know where all the shots need to hit the flipper to make the target (though slowly learning) so I think by doing same shot over and over I'll get this down better. I also don't always know whether I can make a shot from a caught ball (is that the right terminology)? Like I don't think I've ever made a ramp from a catch.
I'm keeping my eyes on the flippers as much as I can to learn...I love this challenge and so appreciate your advice.

sure, block all the drains

It is your game and you should do exactly whatever you want. this training suggestion is just all about learning to aim with the least time investment possible by getting lots of reps.

I do this when tuning in a game or adjusting a rebuilt flipper. I just go for a specific shot over and over and over again. If I miss then I just grab the ball by hand and put it back in a craddle position (flipper button pressed to keep it upright) and start over.

It really is about learning the 'right; technique to aim that works for you. I personally find that keeping my eye on the ball is very important. I watch the flipper and get in the zone to hit a shot over and over. Really helps to get the 'feel' of a game.

I work through each shot and the mechanics and then make it into a game. > can I hit the left ramp 10 times in a row? I will keep at it till I learn the spot on the flipper and get better and making each shot, 1 by 1.

Then I move on to back hand shots.

Then I work on stuff that returns and shooting on the fly (i.e on GOTG you can try to continuously combo the R ramp and L ramp back and forth). Or play games like left ramp, r ramp left orbit, live catch.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

YES this is what I want - it's hard to practice a skill over and over when you also have to keep the ball in play so you're not constantly restarting the game.
Awesome on the making it into a game - r lamp r ramp for example. Will do!
Thanks so much for your advice. SO helpful.

You may find that something besides a sock works well for you to block drains.

I have used a toiler paper tube with painters tape to stiffen it up and adjust for fit to an outlane drain. Sock was a just a suggestion, but use whatever works for you.

Have fun and let us know how the progress goes after some training sessions. Making it a game is what keeps it fun for me.

#145 6 years ago

not sure if it has been mentioned, but if you want to play pinball with other females then see what is the closest B&C chapter to you and get out and play.

Playing pinball with others is also a great way to learn more pinball.

http://bellesandchimespinball.com/

I dont think the website is up to date as there are way more chapters.
My wife joined the Madison, WI chapter which recently started and she has really been liking the female camaraderie.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm gonna go on record as saying the "sock thing" is a terrible idea. How is this going to help a home-owner become better at pinball?
Games are free and you live there. You have all the time in the world to press start and practice making shots. Why stuff socks in the outlanes?
It's a wasted opportunity. At the same time you are endlessly practicing your shots, you can also deal with the consequences of BAD shots, and work on your outlane nudging skills. All of this will help you improve much better than the pointless act of stuffing laundry into your outlanes.
It's a dumb idea, and one I doubt you'll hear being practiced by any GOOD players.

To the OP, dont listen to Levi. He is a top ranked player that has lost all insight to some of the practice that is valuable to a new player.

The blocked outlanes is a GREAT way to speed up your repetitions and muscle memory. It provides FOCUSED practice on a single skill to start; aiming.

The idea is you dont waste time with saving bad shots. You spend time learning a way to aim that works for you and you do it with as many repetitions in as short a time as possible. The goal is muscle memory and repetition... nothing more.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Do people really take pinball this seriously? Muscle memory in the move of a finger to press a button that is not part of a sequence makes little sense. Small muscle memory for things like a button makes sense in like speeding running and combination moves. By combination I mean using multiple fingers in conjunction with each other. Also this is part of a long sequence of moves, there is very little of this in pinball. Muscle memory is part of complex muscle movements in repetition. The impact of muscle memory to push a flipper button is going to be damn near insignificant.

muscle memory is not the right term, sorry.

Techincally it is the repeated practice that just helps acquire the skill.

The point being that continual, rapid repetition is a great training exercise, esp since so many players dont aim properly/very well and then often reply on other skills like saving bad shots rather than just making the shot in the first place...

#174 6 years ago

Hav you tried out the aiming practice/ blocked inlanes yet?

Would love to hear if you like it/think it has helped you to learn to aim better?

How many times have you combo'd L and R ramp?

Also, wanted to extend the invite if you are ever in Madison > Hit us up and you can come play a few games with my wife and I. She is a damn good player and pretty fun to play pinball with. She likes to get better and also enjoys when she finds other nerd ladies to play with.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

I'm doing it tomorrow! It's my weekend project - I plan to log many hours tomorrow!
Thanks for the invite! I'll let you know if I'm ever in Madison. Would love to meet your pinball wizard wife and fellow pinball nerds. Is she on pinside?

she mainly lurks and rarely posts (I post enough for the whole family, lol)

She hangs out in the ladies of pinside thread and the dog thread mainly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,495 (Firm)
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 19.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-advice-for-new-female-player?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.