paltrowsurfing.jpg
paltrow02.jpg
IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG
giphy-1 (resized).png
IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg
20171007_210826 (resized).jpg
20171208_223007 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Let me humbly apologize for my posts in this thread. I will have to pick out a (small) hat that I dislike and find some sauce to make it go down easier. I have never been so wrong in my life but I suppose it is good to fail sometimes and admitting I was wrong feels bittersweet as I get to grow but also feel the sting of defeat. Congrats on being a successful woman whom is enough of a nerd to post on Pinside. Strangely enough GOTG Pro is the next pin I have on the way as my similarly beautiful wife liked it. You owed me nothing but gave me proof when you could have ignored me as an asshole; which I undoubtedly was. I am a tireless force for feminism (my latest Facebook fight was about a female friend saying Tom Brady's injury was a strained vagina) but I failed big time here. Please accept my apology.

Glad you apologized but I am not sure why so many pinside members go after new members. We should help and be kind and help them. Not doubt them. We were all new once.

Congratulations on your new pin and I hope you can add to it over the years. The most fun I have is learning the rule set of each game on my own and not cheating and looking up on the internet. Have fun playing.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Hi everyone, I’ll weigh in here if you don’t mind.
I posted FEMALE in the title of my post because my friend, who is on pinside and a pinball owner, knew that it would help get eyeballs precisely because there aren’t many women in pinball. He knew there would be folks here excited to see a woman get into the hobby. He also knows me well and knows that I am a big nerd with a voracious appetite to learn and improve at all I do. This was the best way, in his view, to get me lots of great advice quickly. And he was right! I’m so grateful for all the wonderful tips and strategies shared here and I’m putting them into practice... I’m so enjoying my GOTG and thrilled every time I get something down.
I posted my real name because that’s how I always create social profiles — it was reflexive. I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to. Same thing with my profile picture. I’m not a forum expert. In fact, this is only the second forum I’ve joined in my life and I use my real name and photo in the other forum as do most other people on that site.
And now I’d like to call attention to the fact that my profile picture seemed to be the catalyst for folks making a few inaccurate assumptions. I think some of you saw what I look like and concluded that 1. I’m not real 2. I’m looking for attention that’s unrelated to pinball.
I can assure all of you that my motives are all about learning pinball and interacting with people just as into pinball as I am. And if you are a skeptic, I ask that you go through this thread and if you can everywhere else I’ve posted (not sure how easy it is to do that because I’m no forum expert like I said) and read my words while imagining that I’m a man. There would be no doubt that I’m all about pinball.
I’ve been enthusiastic, grateful, earnest, kind, curious, and forgiving. This is who I am. I also happen to be a "pretty woman" - it’s the least relevant thing about me in this context and yet it’s become a major talking point. Guys - and I do mean guys - I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this is largely unconscious sexism.
But now I’m asking you to knock it off, to resist thinking that the way I look says anything about who I am or what I want, and look at the evidence before you: I’m a new person to the hobby, I’m looking for advice, I’d enjoy being part of a community that geeks out on it.
It’s not on me to pick a profile pict and name that won’t make you think otherwise. (To give an extreme example, that’s a bit like saying “She was wearing that short skirt. She deserved it.”)
If my friend had said to me before all this controversy - hey you might want to change your profile name and pict to something generic - I would have thanked him for schooling me on the forum and changed them.
But I’m not going to now. It’ll stay what it is. And I’ll continue to be who I am.
Now let’s get back to pinball.

You go have fun. Many of these pinsiders have nothing better to do than to be abrasive. Have fun as there are always pricks in every hobby and everyday in life. You got good advice from many and you will choose friends just like life. I have three females in my family that love pinball. My wife and two daughters. My high school daughters friends love pinball and are always coming over. They like GB LE or Star TrekLE the best. Have fun and improve.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

That’s the beauty of pinball, after a long hard days work I have my pinball room to look forward to. My wife is slowly starting to get interested in pinball and that is a cool thing, another + for pinball. So as long as you’re smiling( sometimes ) then all the cash you spent on your pin was well spent. So if our hobby draws in family and friends then it’s really hard to put a price tag on the whole experience.

I agree. The other night we had a few big games going on Indiana Jones and I got crushed by my son and daughter. It is fun. Now pay back next time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-advice-for-new-female-player?tu=Onwallst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.