paltrowsurfing.jpg
paltrow02.jpg
IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG
giphy-1 (resized).png
IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg
20171007_210826 (resized).jpg
20171208_223007 (resized).jpg
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

LucySuros is a real person and FEMALE that is super excited to have her first pinball machine. We set up a Guardians Pro with Shaker Motor and Invisiglass at her home in San Diego. Welcome her to the forum.
Welcome Lucy and I hope you have updated your game's code to v.85

You're the best, Evan! I HAVE updated the code! I'm all current. LOVE MY GAME! Thanks to you and Orange County Pinballs for setting me up!

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I stated the conditions that I'd eat my hat. Those were not met so my hat remains.

Too creepy to post a vid, but here I am with my pin that Evan at Orange County Pinballs delivered a few weeks ago. Hopefully that puts the question of my authenticity to rest.

IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPGIMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG

#103 6 years ago

Thank you for the kind words!! Let me know when your Guardians is ready for some company.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from surfsidedetail:

Thank you for the kind words!! Let me know when your Guardians is ready for some company.

Definitely, Evan!

#105 6 years ago

Looks like someone will be eating a hat soon.

Congratulations on being real.

#106 6 years ago

ever been mistaken for Gwyneth Paltrow?

paltrow02.jpgpaltrow02.jpg

#107 6 years ago

Does Gwyneth Paltrow surf? I bet this girl does.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does Gwyneth Paltrow surf? I bet this girl does.

Indeed I do.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

ever been mistaken for Gwyneth Paltrow?

No I have not.

Oh you meant her.

Now I feel silly.

Let's all take a long look at her picture. Everyone happy now. It's a pretty lady. Now can we get back to pinball?

#110 6 years ago

I'm the dude with the dark sunglasses sitting on the beach.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm the dude with the dark sunglasses sitting on the beach.

stranger danger

#112 6 years ago

It puts the lotion on its skin..

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does Gwyneth Paltrow surf?

apparently

paltrowsurfing.jpgpaltrowsurfing.jpg

#114 6 years ago

Let me humbly apologize for my posts in this thread. I will have to pick out a (small) hat that I dislike and find some sauce to make it go down easier. I have never been so wrong in my life but I suppose it is good to fail sometimes and admitting I was wrong feels bittersweet as I get to grow but also feel the sting of defeat. Congrats on being a successful woman whom is enough of a nerd to post on Pinside. Strangely enough GOTG Pro is the next pin I have on the way as my similarly beautiful wife liked it. You owed me nothing but gave me proof when you could have ignored me as an asshole; which I undoubtedly was. I am a tireless force for feminism (my latest Facebook fight was about a female friend saying Tom Brady's injury was a strained vagina) but I failed big time here. Please accept my apology.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Let me humbly apologize for my posts in this thread. I will have to pick out a (small) hat that I dislike and find some sauce to make it go down easier. I have never been so wrong in my life but I suppose it is good to fail sometimes and admitting I was wrong feels bittersweet as I get to grow but also feel the sting of defeat

Quoted from TRAMD:

O-din even invites him...I mean her...over!

You just need to hang out at the beach a little more. Helps if you bring a board with you. lol.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Too creepy to post a vid, but here I am with my pin that Evan at Orange County Pinballs delivered a few weeks ago. Hopefully that puts the question of my authenticity to rest.

Looks like a happy pinball owner!

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Let me humbly apologize for my posts in this thread. I will have to pick out a (small) hat that I dislike and find some sauce to make it go down easier. I have never been so wrong in my life but I suppose it is good to fail sometimes and admitting I was wrong feels bittersweet as I get to grow but also feel the sting of defeat. Congrats on being a successful woman whom is enough of a nerd to post on Pinside. Strangely enough GOTG Pro is the next pin I have on the way as my similarly beautiful wife liked it. You owed me nothing but gave me proof when you could have ignored me as an asshole; which I undoubtedly was. I am a tireless force for feminism (my latest Facebook fight was about a female friend saying Tom Brady's injury was a strained vagina) but I failed big time here. Please accept my apology.

I accept your apology. We all have made assumptions that have led us astray. I can assure you that I'm both a successful woman and a big nerd at heart who really likes pinball. I'm happy to be part of the community, especially now that the skeptics know I'm real and can get back to offering me advice that'll help me get better.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I will have to pick out a (small) hat that I dislike and find some sauce to make it go down easier.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of this. I think hat eating is a lost art and I'm glad you're trying to bring it back

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Glad you apologized but I am not sure why so many pinside members go after new members. We should help and be kind and help them. Not doubt them. We were all new once.

Congratulations on your new pin and I hope you can add to it over the years. The most fun I have is learning the rule set of each game on my own and not cheating and looking up on the internet. Have fun playing.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

I'm looking forward to the pictures of this. I think hat eating is a lost art and I'm glad you're trying to bring it back

I am hoping that I can find a hat made out of chocolate. My current caps don't seem very delicious; even with the salty flavor added by sweat. I will make a Youtube video of this in some form. I'm sure my kids will find it hilarious.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

TIMES UP!!!!!

Haha yeah i guess.

Good to see you supporting this worthy movement about equality and basic human rights which discourages bigotry , sexism and crimes of a sexual nature.

I wish more men were like you Jonathan who clearly understands what it's like to be a women and appreciates the countless years of inequality and abuse.

Personally i dont do movements but good for You!

#122 6 years ago

I was up in Vancouver BC a couple years ago. A bar up there had an all woman’s tournament. It was great fun!

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Glad you apologized but I am not sure why so many pinside members go after new members. We should help and be kind and help them. Not doubt them.

Unfortunately it's Probably due to past experience. Like when Kanada got banned from the site and registered multiple times as new pinsiders including posing as a woman. Anyone remember pinsider lady flippers? Funny but sad. Attractive women (sorry make that any women at all )posting on a pinball only site with a majority of male members will always brew skepticism. Not that it's justified.
Anyway welcome to pinside Lucy!
It's a very addictive hobby.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Hey, psst, you've got sthg in your teeth...

Oh, no, wait! It's just my dirty laptop screen....

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

My advice is make a list of “must have” furniture and be prepared to start getting rid of pieces you don’t need to make room for more pins. You’ll find a floor can be just as comfy as a bed, a stove takes up 10x the space of a microwave, why have a full bathroom when you can have an out house, and so on...

Why live in the house at all when you can live in a trailer outside and free up the bedroom for like atleast 5-6 pins more.

Anyway, just play your game alot, buy others and play them and maybe hook up with a pinball guy and double your pin collection.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

I LOVE this idea. I'm totally going to do it. I want to practice the same shots over and over and this will help me do it! Thank you!

I think those practice sessions could work really well on GOTG since it is a mode based game. After you get good and repeatedly making the same shot, then start a mode and ONLY play that mode. That will challenge you to make multiple shots (sometimes on the fly and other times from a trap).

Just keep in mind that the main skill to work on at the start is all aiming. Dont get distracted with the other things just yet. Focus on aiming and you will get better very quickly.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think those practice sessions could work really well on GOTG since it is a mode based game. After you get good and repeatedly making the same shot, then start a mode and ONLY play that mode. That will challenge you to make multiple shots (sometimes on the fly and other times from a trap).
Just keep in mind that the main skill to work on at the start is all aiming. Dont get distracted with the other things just yet. Focus on aiming and you will get better very quickly.

This is my plan: glass off, socks in the outlanes (can i block the drain too??), practice core shots over and over as well as some flipper skills like passing (I can do post pass on the right flipper but need to get some other passes under my belt) and live catch (I'm pretty decent at it)...

I still feel like I don't know where all the shots need to hit the flipper to make the target (though slowly learning) so I think by doing same shot over and over I'll get this down better. I also don't always know whether I can make a shot from a caught ball (is that the right terminology)? Like I don't think I've ever made a ramp from a catch.

I'm keeping my eyes on the flippers as much as I can to learn...I love this challenge and so appreciate your advice.

Also, do you (or anyone else here) know why my profile picture has that OP band on it? I have no idea what it means.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

This is my plan: glass off, socks in the outlanes (can i block the drain too??), practice core shots over and over as well as some flipper skills like passing (I can do post pass on the right flipper but need to get some other passes under my belt) and live catch (I'm pretty decent at it)...
I still feel like I don't know where all the shots need to hit the flipper to make the target (though slowly learning) so I think by doing same shot over and over I'll get this down better. I also don't always know whether I can make a shot from a caught ball (is that the right terminology)? Like I don't think I've ever made a ramp from a catch.
I'm keeping my eyes on the flippers as much as I can to learn...I love this challenge and so appreciate your advice.

sure, block all the drains

It is your game and you should do exactly whatever you want. this training suggestion is just all about learning to aim with the least time investment possible by getting lots of reps.

I do this when tuning in a game or adjusting a rebuilt flipper. I just go for a specific shot over and over and over again. If I miss then I just grab the ball by hand and put it back in a craddle position (flipper button pressed to keep it upright) and start over.

It really is about learning the 'right; technique to aim that works for you. I personally find that keeping my eye on the ball is very important. I watch the flipper and get in the zone to hit a shot over and over. Really helps to get the 'feel' of a game.

I work through each shot and the mechanics and then make it into a game. > can I hit the left ramp 10 times in a row? I will keep at it till I learn the spot on the flipper and get better and making each shot, 1 by 1.

Then I move on to back hand shots.

Then I work on stuff that returns and shooting on the fly (i.e on GOTG you can try to continuously combo the R ramp and L ramp back and forth). Or play games like left ramp, r ramp left orbit, live catch.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Also, do you (or anyone else here) know why my profile picture has that OP band on it? I have no idea what it means.

it means "
original poster" since you are the creator of this thread that's why its there

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

Personally i dont do movements but good for You!

Prune juice....

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sure, block all the drains
this training suggestion is just all about learning to aim with the least time investment possible by getting lots of reps.

YES this is what I want - it's hard to practice a skill over and over when you also have to keep the ball in play so you're not constantly restarting the game.

Awesome on the making it into a game - r lamp r ramp for example. Will do!

Thanks so much for your advice. SO helpful.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I am hoping that I can find a hat made out of chocolate.

No worries!

chocolate hat (resized).jpgchocolate hat (resized).jpg

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

YES this is what I want - it's hard to practice a skill over and over when you also have to keep the ball in play so you're not constantly restarting the game.

You may find that something besides a sock works well for you to block drains.

I have used a toiler paper tube with painters tape to stiffen it up and adjust for fit to an outlane drain. Sock was a just a suggestion, but use whatever works for you.

Have fun and let us know how the progress goes after some training sessions. Making it a game is what keeps it fun for me.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Just keep in mind that when you login your shots to your brain a ball that’s held will shoot a little different then one that is moving. I always try to have the two different shots in my mind as I try to get into the pin zone.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Just keep in mind that when you login your shots to your brain a ball that’s held will shoot a little different then one that is moving. I always try to have the two different shots in my mind as I try to get into the pin zone.

Yes, definitely need to get the feel for that!

#136 6 years ago

After you're done practicing, try to save some time for a couple of real games so that you can put the new skills to work.

#137 6 years ago

The other possibly more conventional approach is just to play and enjoy the game. There is no substitute for taking time to play and practicing by logging time on the machine.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

The other possibly more conventional approach is just to play and enjoy the game. There is no substitute for taking time to play and practicing by logging time on the machine.

Good point. I think it's about balance when you're first starting out. I used to spend about 50% of my time practicing, like trying to hit the same shot over and over. And I'd spend the other 50% just playing games, incorporating my new skills.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

This is my plan: glass off, socks in the outlanes (can i block the drain too??), practice core shots over and over as well as some flipper skills like passing

Not only is this a great way to practice, but it will also confuse the hell out of whomever buys this game if you sell it someday... with blown out playfield, worn rubbers and posts and a grand total of 17 games played on the audit screen!!

#140 6 years ago

Dead bounces and cradles. Play one-handed to learn the bounces of the game and around the flippers, because it forces you to dead bounce and anticipate.

#141 6 years ago

getadam @mschonbrun good reminders to keep it fun and light. Thank you.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

My wife beats me at pinball everyday! Almost all our pins have her initials in the high scores!! You ladies take it easy on us guys!!

I feel your pain. Mine schools me constantly

#143 6 years ago

Lucy, don't forget to update the code on your Guardians of the Galaxy. New home users typically don't and your game will get better rules, animations, sounds etc. Over time. There's likely been 2 updates to guardians since you purchased it.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

This. I think you're taking it too seriously. The skill comes with time. There are people that really want to be good and there are people that just want to have fun and slowly progress. All my friends and I are about the same caliber so it is fun to compete for high scores. If one of us was awesome it would sort of ruin it.

#145 6 years ago

not sure if it has been mentioned, but if you want to play pinball with other females then see what is the closest B&C chapter to you and get out and play.

Playing pinball with others is also a great way to learn more pinball.

http://bellesandchimespinball.com/

I dont think the website is up to date as there are way more chapters.
My wife joined the Madison, WI chapter which recently started and she has really been liking the female camaraderie.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Lucy, don't forget to update the code on your Guardians of the Galaxy. New home users typically don't and your game will get better rules, animations, sounds etc. Over time. There's likely been 2 updates to guardians since you purchased it.

Thank you! Yes, the code was updated on the day delivered and then I just updated it to most recent code.

#147 6 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the hobby! I would say just have keep having fun and you'll get better.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This. I think you're taking it too seriously. The skill comes with time. There are people that really want to be good and there are people that just want to have fun and slowly progress. All my friends and I are about the same caliber so it is fun to compete for high scores. If one of us was awesome it would sort of ruin it.

I taught guitar for many years and everyone wants to find the most efficient way and the honest answer usually is to play more.

#149 6 years ago

Welcome to the fun! Look to your local tournaments and leagues to get to know the community and consider roadtripping to the anti-drain fest in may, here:

https://en-au.pricett.com/a/8th-annual-pinpin-plunge-off-anti-drain-fest-pinball-tournament-vegas-phof/8376405

#150 6 years ago

Also, consider starting a local chapter and blazing the trail in your own neighborhood!

http://bellesandchimespinball.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 22.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dow, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-advice-for-new-female-player/page/3?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.