paltrowsurfing.jpg
paltrow02.jpg
IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG
giphy-1 (resized).png
IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg
20171007_210826 (resized).jpg
20171208_223007 (resized).jpg

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Yes they have Metallica (I think that's what MET means??), which was the game that really sparked me.

I see what you did there.

#52 6 years ago

@Djshakes,

That would be great! One of our members also hosts a few events in Carmel Valley. A lot of us enjoying hosting (especially during league season) because that's when everyone brings delicious goodies and drinks to our houses.

That being said, we haven't yet decided when we're gonna start league up again this year. But in the meantime we would definitely be interested in replacing one of our location tournaments any given month to shake things up.

If you're not interested in hosting a competitive event, we still get together just to flip for fun.

Please message me on Meetup so I can look at our calendar and see where we could best fit you in for some wholesome flipping fun.

Thanks for reaching out,
Brian K

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe see if there is a belles and chimes in your area if you feel like linking up with other women players.

http://bellesandchimespinball.com/
Several chapters around the country and the organizers are very willing to help anyone interested in starting another.

Welcome to pinball!

#54 6 years ago

I don't care what most of the general public, Rotten Tomatoes, Siskel and Ebert, or People magazine said​ about it, I thought you were fantastic in Species.
Species II...well...

#56 6 years ago

It’s here and so fun!! Watched some great ball control vids that already helped at little! Got Groot multiball which has me feeling super happy. I have a long way to go folks and I’m going to enjoy the journey immensely!! Good thing I have some time off to watch all these great vids you’ve posted, read up on the game rules, and practice my ball skills!

BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpegBF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg

#57 6 years ago

And thank you to the immensely awesome Evan at Orange County Pinballs for setting me up!

#58 6 years ago

Nice machine! I would love to have one.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

And thank you to the immensely awesome Evan at Orange County Pinballs for setting me up!

Evan's way cool and he's styled me up a bunch. I'm hoping he can set me up one more time.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Thank you Lucy and enjoy your new baby!!!

The most recent update v.81 songs are awesome

#61 6 years ago

Congrats!

GOTG is a fun game, but not easy. Play as best you can and hit start again and again!

I keep my eyes mostly on the lower part of the playfield by the flippers rather then looking more up on the Playfield where you want the ball to go. Like in golf keep your eye on the ball and don't look down the fairway until your shoulder bumps into your chin on the follow through.

The good news is that GOTG will make you a better player if you put time in and you will play other games with easier shots and will really rack up the points. Once this happens you will be happy you went to pinball boot camp with your play on Guardians!

Enjoy!

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Although it's a totally different game, I've always loved this video for learning about ball control:
» YouTube video

Thank you, @getadam. I can't quite make out what your avatar picture is supposed to be.

#64 6 years ago

If you're not tilting, you're not trying...

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Thank you, getadam. I can't quite make out what your avatar picture is supposed to be.

It's not pinball related - just some classic hardcore punk music. https://www.dischord.com/release/003/1st-7

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

It's not pinball related - just some classic hardcore punk music. https://www.dischord.com/release/003/1st-7

One of the best partnerships in life is punk music and pinball. I listen to Dead Kennedys while playing and its the bees knees!

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

getadam I happen to like punk!

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

One of the best partnerships in life is punk music and pinball. I listen to Dead Kennedys while playing and its the bees knees!

That sounds great - though I imagine the sounds of punk + my Gotg pinball songs might not be a beautiful pairing.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

That sounds great - though I imagine the sounds of punk + my Gotg pinball songs might not be a beautiful pairing.

If I wasn't sellling my Metallica, I'd be replacing all the songs I can with 8-bit remixes that I found on Spotify...so...chiptune metallica. You never know what works, heh.

#70 6 years ago

Wish they'd make a Blondie pin....

#71 6 years ago

Welcome and congratulations.

#72 6 years ago

Congrats on the purchase! My wife (and son) and I are big into the hobby. She enjoys attack from mars remake over the dialed in LE we just got. Take your time, and learn the ropes. I still watch a ton of a videos from the best players in the world during tournaments. In the 30 years I've been playing, my nudging skills still need lots of practice. I make up for this in shot accuracy. Well, you can't have it all, I suppose!

Best of luck and congrats again!

IMG_4797 (resized).JPGIMG_4797 (resized).JPG

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

It's not pinball related -

Small man, big mouth-seeing RED!

3 weeks later
#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Welcome to the most consuming hobby one can be involved in.
You’re gonna do great!

#75 6 years ago

Hilarious! Likely a dude, possibly a woman, creates an account with a beautiful woman (definitely not "Lucy") avatar and you all just fall for it. O-din even invites him...I mean her...over! This made an otherwise boring Saturday night a lot more entertaining!

If "Lucy" can create and link a YouTube video containing the woman in the photo playing GOTG and mentioning Pinside, I'll eat my hat.

#76 6 years ago

I think you just want to see her in a you tube video. Pretty creepy.

Any suggestions what you would want her to wear as well? Jeesh!

This is the very reason I do not put my picture up. I'm a beautiful man but I do not like the attention.

I'm not a piece of meat Damit!

Hey OP my apologies for some of our members behavior. Some of us are still learning how to interact with the opposite sex.

#77 6 years ago

If I want to see videos of beautiful women, there are plenty of options. I don't come to Pinside for that. You seem to think my post was made with some sort of misogynistic intent. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am just a skeptic. An attractive man wouldn't mind attention and wouldn't receive it on Pinside because Pinside is probably 99% straight guys so your comment about yourself was strange. When you say "Some of us are still learning how to interact with the opposite sex." do you mean the guy who has been married for 15 years and heavily interacts with around 30 women every day in a non-sexual way (me) or do you mean all of the guys falling all over themselves at the thought of a beautiful woman whom plays pinball AND comes on a forum to talk about it? Gender has nothing to do with pinball skill and being a new pin owner but the OP deliberately put "FEMALE" in the title, a fake pic for their avatar and made it about gender from the start; clearly wanting this kind of attention. I just didn't fall for it.

#78 6 years ago

- edited -

Folks - you want to know why women don’t feel welcome in pinball? Folks questioning her authenticity for no good reason and basing it on her profile picture should explain it very, very clearly.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

#79 6 years ago

So there is a person in San Diego named Lucy Suros and she actually is the person in the picture. If there were a profile with the name Donaldtrump from DC and the avatar picture was of our POTUS, I suppose you'd just believe that too? You are committing both fallacy of composition and confirmation bias. My questioning of the authenticity was more about the title and content than the profile picture. The picture was just icing on the cake. Am I seriously the only one who thinks it is strange to put "FEMALE" in all caps in the title? The funniest part isn't the authenticity of the OP (maybe it really is Lucy Suros) but the difference in how you all responded to "her". And where did you get that women don't "feel welcome" in pinball? My wife, sister and myriad of female friends love pinball. Women can feel uncomfortable with a lot of the attention that they receive around a bunch of horny and lonely nerds but that is true for any male dominated hobby and says more about male behavior than the hobby. Finally, I am a scientist and so I like to be proven wrong because then I improve by being more correct. I hope I'm wrong and that the OP really is Lucy Suros from San Diego. I might not get the evidence I'd need to believe it but the OP doesn't owe me that and probably won't give it. That's no big deal. So I'll go on not believing it, chuckling at your responses, enjoying this debate and being skeptical as usual.

#80 6 years ago

/facepalm

This is getting more than a little bit on the creepy side. Ya'll gonna dox this person too while you're at it?

FFS. You don't have to go digging all up in people's personal stuff to figure this out. You think the avatar image is a fake?

Tineye says no matches found. People that do things like create fake profiles don't TYPICALLY create new content to put on their profiles....they steal images and use those. It's way more efficient, less likely to be traceable back to them specifically.

Nobody on here owes you any proof whatsoever of their identification.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

So there is a person in San Diego named Lucy Suros and she actually is the person in the picture. If there were a profile with the name Donaldtrump from DC and the avatar picture was of our POTUS, I suppose you'd just believe that too? You are committing both fallacy of composition and confirmation bias. My questioning of the authenticity was more about the title and content than the profile picture. The picture was just icing on the cake. Am I seriously the only one who thinks it is strange to put "FEMALE" in all caps in the title? The funniest part isn't the authenticity of the OP (maybe it really is Lucy Suros) but the difference in how you all responded to "her". And where did you get that women don't "feel welcome" in pinball? My wife, sister and myriad of female friends love pinball. Women can feel uncomfortable with a lot of the attention that they receive around a bunch of horny and lonely nerds but that is true for any male dominated hobby and says more about male behavior than the hobby. Finally, I am a scientist and so I like to be proven wrong because then I improve by being more correct. I hope I'm wrong and that the OP really is Lucy Suros from San Diego. I might not get the evidence I'd need to believe it but the OP doesn't owe me that and probably won't give it. That's no big deal. So I'll go on not believing it, chuckling at your responses, enjoying this debate and being skeptical as usual.

The only thing strange about this thread is when you began posting here.

#82 6 years ago

People are inviting her over to their house and doing searches on her and I'm the creepy one? OK. I've said all of my points twice, am being antagonistic and am not contributing to the thread so I'll leave you guys to your fantasies.

#83 6 years ago

My post was meant to be sarcastic. Just a joke people not a big deal. Woman. Guy. Who cares. Just a joke. Take it easy.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Hilarious! Likely a dude, possibly a woman, creates an account with a beautiful woman (definitely not "Lucy") avatar and you all just fall for it. O-din even invites him...I mean her...over! This made an otherwise boring Saturday night a lot more entertaining!
If "Lucy" can create and link a YouTube video containing the woman in the photo playing GOTG and mentioning Pinside, I'll eat my hat.

Well, you're gonna have to eat your hat, because I am a real person and that is my real picture and I do have GOTG and my guy friend who is a pinball player recommended the title of the original post. I really do want advice and hoping that this community can provide it. I love pinball but stink at it right now. I've been watching https://papa.org/learning-center/videos/ to learn some basic skills. And have been reassured to hear that other players find the GOTG shots difficult, too, but I do have the GROOT shot down. So yay!

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Well, you're gonna have to eat your hat, because I am a real person and that is my real picture and I do have GOTG and my guy friend who is a pinball player recommended the title of the original post. I really do want advice and hoping that this community can provide it. I love pinball but stink at it right now. I've been watching https://papa.org/learning-center/videos/ to learn some basic skills. And have been reassured to hear that other players find the GOTG shots difficult, too, but I do have the GROOT shot down. So yay!

Don't get frustrated...that's the best advice I can give. When I bought my first machine in 2012, I thought I was a good pinball player. Then I found this site and realized I was a poor player. PAPA, IMO, has the best videos to teach you how to play.

A little over 5 years later, I've become a pretty good pinball player...and I still have a lot of room for improvement.

That's awesome that you purchased your first machine. I've noticed over the years, more women at Pinfest and Silverball Museum.

#86 6 years ago

My advice would be to be purposeful when you're playing. As you own your own game, play games where you're concentrating on mastering a particular skill. As others have said, watch videos to see what skills you need to practice (drop catches, post-passes, etc.) and then practice those on your game.

The beauty is, those skills will translate to every game. While knowing the rules will help you generate higher scores, having a particular set of skills will be useful for all games you play.

As long as you're having fun playing, you'll be set. At the end of the day, pinball is about having fun.

Dave

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

My advice would be to be purposeful when you're playing. As you own your own game, play games where you're concentrating on mastering a particular skill. As others have said, watch videos to see what skills you need to practice (drop catches, post-passes, etc.) and then practice those on your game.
The beauty is, those skills will translate to every game. While knowing the rules will help you generate higher scores, having a particular set of skills will be useful for all games you play.
As long as you're having fun playing, you'll be set. At the end of the day, pinball is about having fun.
Dave

I've been concentrating on flipper skills right now. As a competitive person, it makes me a little nuts to score low, but I think putting the time in now to get some control is worth it, as you said. Once I can MAKE the shots that I want to make, I'll dig deep into the rules of GOTG. Right now I'm not even trying to...I think I'll have too much in my head to concentrate if I do.

What I love about pinball is that it's both physical and mental. I have to master the flippers and the many rule of the game. So awesome.

#88 6 years ago

Ball cradling... It's important in pinball.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

I stated the conditions that I'd eat my hat. Those were not met so my hat remains.

#90 6 years ago

Congrats on your new pin and getting into this time consuming life evolving around hobby. You chose a very tough game. Fast and fun but very tight shots and not alot of time given to complete the modes. Good news. If you master this game it will be smooth sailing on most other titles. I will eat my hat if you make it through this hobby and only own 1 game at a time. A little advice. Start rearranging the furniture.. Your going to need room for at least one more pin.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Congrats on your new pin and getting into this time consuming life evolving around hobby. You chose a very tough game. Fast and fun but very tight shots and not alot of time given to complete the modes. Good news. If you master this game it will be smooth sailing on most other titles. I will eat my hat if you make it through this hobby and only own 1 game at a time. A little advice. Start rearranging the furniture.. Your going to need room for at least one more pin.

I think you are right - I can see that after mastering one I'll start hankering for another. Though, I think I have a lot of runway. I love Metallica. And I hear Batman is pretty awesome now (after its rough start).

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

I think you are right - I can see that after mastering one I'll start hankering for another. Though, I think I have a lot of runway. I love Metallica. And I hear Batman is pretty awesome now (after its rough start).

I bought my first pin a year ago and it was Metallica so if you decide to make it #2 you won’t be disappointed. I’ve been working on my pin skills the last year and the best way to get better is to just play. Watching YouTube vids helps a lot but for understanding the game and how to attack it for a high score or to get deep in the code. Have fun play and your skills will become better in time just like any other sport or hobby. Just for the heads up I now own 4 pins and it’s only a year later so be prepared to get sucked into a crazy but awesome hobby, welcome to the club.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

dig deep into the rules of GOTG

There's not much to dig into there. Start a mode, shoot the arrows. Nobody is insane enough to deliberately shoot Rocket 6 times to start double scoring, and the far right side Hadron Enforcer target is dangerous enough that I personally won't ever shoot it directly. Otherwise, it's Grootjob All Day, sadly.

Best way to maximize scoring is to simply start a mode with most arrows lit (Pod Chase is what I use) and collect them as you collect all the shot jackpots with 1 or 2 balls locked up in Groot for 2 or 3x scoring running. Massive points to be had if you can get the additional 2x from Rocket, but that shot is just stupid tight. I guess Rocket didn't want a bunch of balls in his face...

Quoted from Lucysuros:

Batman is pretty awesome now

It had good flow and decent rules before all the updates, but with the additions that have been made, I'll honestly say I like it as much as Batman Dark Knight, if not more. I really am not a fan of oldschool Batman, but there's just something fun and light about it, and the code has really been fleshed out and had fun stuff added, like Bat Turn.

#94 6 years ago

For any new player with their own game in the home, I suggest taking the glass off and training.

This may seem silly but it is a great way to efficiently use time to get better quickly.

Put a sock in each outlane and spend a full session just shooting specific shots. Avoid multiball (turn all settings to hard to make it less likely to happen) and just try to specifically work on making left orbit, then left ramp, then rocket, then right ramp, then right orbit.

Do these shots in 2 different ways. First is from a trapped ball. Second is on the fly from returns.

A few hours of this pretty boring style of play can really help.

While doing this, try to focus your attention on the flippers (not the shot). Keep your eyes on the flippers and pay attention to the point on the flipper where the shot is made. Then repeat.

I think aiming is the biggest skill that does not come naturally for most players. After you get better at aiming and making shots at various ball speeds, then you can learn more intermediate stuff (dead pass, post pass, loop pass). After that come nudging and other more advanced stuff.

I know many think that nudging should come earlier but honestly nudging is the crutch skill. It is essential to learn, but if you just make 100% of your shots perfectly, then nudging will never matter

#95 6 years ago

The hardest skill to learn is arguably the first one you should learn, the dead flip. Pinball is so often about quick reactions that getting used to not doing anything is very powerful.

Nudging is still difficult for me, but I am much better at dead flips now and it’s really made me a better player.

#96 6 years ago

Many Sterns from the last few years shake and move without much force as they tend to be lightweight and very backend-heavy. Definitely good for learning how to move the playfield underneath the ball to your advantage within the tolerance of the tilt bob, which is what nudging really is.

I was watching my mom, who played a lot of EM/early SS pin in the 70s and is nearly 60 years old now, make full-on slide saves on a location Metallica when she was only trying to shimmy a bit.

#97 6 years ago

I have a cirqus Voltaire.

Every women and girl I've ever met loves it.
All the women in my family choose it over the other machines. The colours , design, theme all seem very appealing. It's all pinks and purples and greens...very fun and it has women in the art... who arent naked and the main man in the game... turns out to be a some haha

On some sites I've seen some hostility to women and overt sexism but it's dying out as it is in gaming due to younger people without the same prejudice.

My mum loves pinball and uses it to distress after a hard day haha Pinball is genderless and about the game in my family and nothing to do with what's under anyones playfield... so don't take any nonsense in 2018, play and have fun.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

Pinball is genderless and about the game only for my family and nothing to do with what's under the playfield... so don't take any nonsense in 2018.

TIMES UP!!!!!

giphy-1 (resized).pnggiphy-1 (resized).png

#99 6 years ago

LucySuros is a real person and FEMALE that is super excited to have her first pinball machine. We set up a Guardians Pro with Shaker Motor and Invisiglass at her home in San Diego. Welcome her to the forum.

Welcome Lucy and I hope you have updated your game's code to v.85

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

For any new player with their own game in the home, I suggest taking the glass off and training.
This may seem silly but it is a great way to efficiently use time to get better quickly.
Put a sock in each outlane and spend a full session just shooting specific shots. Avoid multiball (turn all settings to hard to make it less likely to happen) and just try to specifically work on making left orbit, then left ramp, then rocket, then right ramp, then right orbit.
Do these shots in 2 different ways. First is from a trapped ball. Second is on the fly from returns.
A few hours of this pretty boring style of play can really help.
While doing this, try to focus your attention on the flippers (not the shot). Keep your eyes on the flippers and pay attention to the point on the flipper where the shot is made. Then repeat.
I think aiming is the biggest skill that does not come naturally for most players. After you get better at aiming and making shots at various ball speeds, then you can learn more intermediate stuff (dead pass, post pass, loop pass). After that come nudging and other more advanced stuff.
I know many think that nudging should come earlier but honestly nudging is the crutch skill. It is essential to learn, but if you just make 100% of your shots perfectly, then nudging will never matter

I LOVE this idea. I'm totally going to do it. I want to practice the same shots over and over and this will help me do it! Thank you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coventry, RI
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-advice-for-new-female-player/page/2?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.