paltrowsurfing.jpg
paltrow02.jpg
IMG_8615 3 (resized).JPG
giphy-1 (resized).png
IMG_4797 (resized).JPG
BF7111F3-1D8E-41F6-957B-14EDCA55527D (resized).jpeg
20171007_210826 (resized).jpg
20171208_223007 (resized).jpg

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Hi Folks!

I’m new to the pinball hobby but I’m definitely hooked and serious. My first game is being delivered tomorrow! I know there aren't as many women as men into pinball but I plan to evangelize! Looking for advice on best approaches for improving my currently sub-par skills, learning more about the hobby and community, and mastering the new game that will be delivered tomorrow. It’s Guardians of Galaxy. I know it’s early and has to evolve, but I had a lot of fun playing it in bars and think it will end up being great. Anyhow, welcome any advice you have. Like should I focus on learning the rules of game first, just rack up time playing to improve ball control (any good tutorials on that?!) etc. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Welcome.

There aren't as many women in pinball. Hobby or industry. I think you'll find the ones that are, are very special.

Play your game. Watch Youtube videos for how to play videos. Learn the game's rules. Practice. And any leagues or tournaments in your area, participate. Even if you get clobbered. You'll learn and improve.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Agree on watching YouTube videos, especially the tutorials by Bowen Kerin’s. Also, okay with players better than you; they will elevate your game.

Welcome to the hobby!

Marc

#4 6 years ago

Played a GOTG at a brew pub last week for the first time. Great Game, be patient for the code updates. There are more and more Ladies getting into the hobby everyday.

#5 6 years ago

These helped me out quite a bit.

http://www.deadflip.com/tutorials/

Once you see what's possible with a ball and 2 flippers, you can practice at home. Since you'll have your own machine, just working on a certain move or repeating certain shots instead of just playing full games is great practice.

Another good tip I received early in is that shots are on the flippers, as in, if you want to hit the left ramp consistently, watch for where the ball needs to leave the right flipper from and memorize that spot.
Don't look to where you want to ball to go as you would when throwing a dart or playing pool.

#6 6 years ago

Play as much as you can, and work on your flipper skills.

#7 6 years ago

Welcome, Great choice!

I agree with the above, Deadflip tutorials are pretty good and just play!

#8 6 years ago

Practice practice practice

#9 6 years ago

I watch a lot of twitch even if it's just playing in the background you can learn something. it's also a good way to see different games and get an idea of what you like.

I'm also very new to the hobby and I have been to a few events and it feels like a very accepting and inclusive hobby. which is nice in comparison to most male dominated hobbies I've been a part of.

#10 6 years ago

Things I did:

1. Watch Bowen Kerin (as mentioned) and Keith Elwin videos, other instructional ones like Deadflip work too, but Bowen does a great job in his PAPA videos for general skill demonstrating and strategy.
2. Use multiball to take the dangerous shots (dangerous as in a big risk for draining the ball).
3. Try to score big WITHOUT nudging then work that into your repertoire later.
4. Learn to ball trap on the flippers, especially during multiball. Personally I like just one-timing during multiball but the problem is 2 balls can collide and cause them to drain.
5. play, play and play.

#11 6 years ago

My advice, get out because if you don't it will consume you. Especially if you start buying older titles and start repairing. Serious addiction in which I often think I need to vacate entirely to break.

#12 6 years ago

Welcome! Love me some San Diego! Anywhere south of Camp Pendleton is heaven to me. Have you been to The High Dive? Pretty cool little place to eat with great craft beer selection...and Pinballs!!!! They had a MET Premium there when I last went about a year and a half ago.

#13 6 years ago

Maybe see if there is a belles and chimes in your area if you feel like linking up with other women players.
My better half recently joined the local belles chapter and loves it!

Aside from that, get out and play as many games as you can wth others, male or female, and watch, talk, learn.

Welcome to a great hobby.

#14 6 years ago

If you haven’t already done so, research cleaning and waxing the playfield. It will need to be waxed before you play it. There is a ton of information on this site.

#15 6 years ago

The Pinball 101 videos are very helpful. I think the easiest way to get them now is to watch them on the Pinball Arcade app, they're in a Videos section for a small cost.

#16 6 years ago

My advice is make a list of “must have” furniture and be prepared to start getting rid of pieces you don’t need to make room for more pins. You’ll find a floor can be just as comfy as a bed, a stove takes up 10x the space of a microwave, why have a full bathroom when you can have an out house, and so on...

#17 6 years ago

Didn't notice you were in SD. I joined a meetup group regarding pinball but haven't went to any meets. I was thinking of hosting one. Check them out. https://www.meetup.com/sdpinball/

#18 6 years ago

Strive to "Play better!".

And have fun while you're doing so.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Welcome.
There aren't as many women in pinball. Hobby or industry. I think you'll find the ones that are, are very special.
Play your game. Watch Youtube videos for how to play videos. Learn the game's rules. Practice. And any leagues or tournaments in your area, participate. Even if you get clobbered. You'll learn and improve.
LTG : )

THANK YOU. I'm heading to YouTube!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

My advice is make a list of “must have” furniture and be prepared to start getting rid of pieces you don’t need to make room for more pins. You’ll find a floor can be just as comfy as a bed, a stove takes up 10x the space of a microwave, why have a full bathroom when you can have an out house, and so on...

This really is how it goes
Pinball people are some of the most real that you’re gonna meet - and they’ll be from all walks of life -

#22 6 years ago

Once you see what's possible with a ball and 2 flippers, you can practice at home. Since you'll have your own machine, just working on a certain move or repeating certain shots instead of just playing full games is great practice.
Another good tip I received early in is that shots are on the flippers, as in, if you want to hit the left ramp consistently, watch for where the ball needs to leave the right flipper from and memorize that spot.
Don't look to where you want to ball to go as you would when throwing a dart or playing pool.

I've bookmarked deadflip - thank you! also will keep in mind looking at flipper instead of target - that will be an adjustment!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe see if there is a belles and chimes in your area if you feel like linking up with other women players.
My better half recently joined the local belles chapter and loves it!
Aside from that, get out and play as many games as you can wth others, male or female, and watch, talk, learn.
Welcome to a great hobby.

Thank you! Will look up belles and chimes!

#25 6 years ago

Check out tiltforums.com for competitive pinball discussion with a decent amount of female participation. Best players in the world sharing game rules, technique & scoring strategies.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Welcome! Love me some San Diego! Anywhere south of Camp Pendleton is heaven to me. Have you been to The High Dive? Pretty cool little place to eat with great craft beer selection...and Pinballs!!!! They had a MET Premium there when I last went about a year and a half ago.

Yes, High Dive is down the street from me and where I play most here in SD. Yes they have Metallica (I think that's what MET means??), which was the game that really sparked me.

#28 6 years ago

Come and join our club; https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-girls-club

We are a quiet bunch and it’s been some time since any person has posted in the thread, maybe you will be the spark to get the thread alive again.

#29 6 years ago

I'm not far away and if you don't mind an hour or so drive up I-5, I'd be glad to show you some of the ropes and give you some tips. Oh, and near 30 machines to play too.

#30 6 years ago

One nice thing is that your in a large metropolitan area so there should be a league around there you could also participate in. Competitive play even if you aren’t into trying to become a champion level player can be a lot of fun and a new dimension of the game.

As others have said, enjoy your game at home, its very enjoyable to be able to come home and relax with a game or three instead of turning on some mindless dribble on the tele.

Oh, and try to make a show or two. In San Jose area there is CA Extreme and Lodi will have the Golden State Pinball Festival but right in your back yard you have the Arcade Expo which has to be one of if not the largest private collection of pinball machines. It’s wonderous... and don’t forget the older games.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

One nice thing is that your in a large metropolitan area so there should be a league around there you could also participate in. Competitive play even if you aren’t into trying to become a champion level player can be a lot of fun and a new dimension of the game.

Hi Lucy! I'm the co-organizer of the San Diego Pinball Club. We get together for weekly tournaments and occasionally pin parties at club members' houses. Besides our Meetup site that you received, you can check our Facebook page 'San Diego Pinball Club' for even more club news.

We're an open and friendly group that welcomes new members. Feel free to join us at our next event! And if you have any questions, just ask any of our members or me personally. Welcome to this super addicting hobby!

-Brian K

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Hi Folks!
I’m new to the pinball hobby but I’m definitely hooked and serious. My first game is being delivered tomorrow! I know there aren't as many women as men into pinball but I plan to evangelize!

Merry Christmas ! You are awesome.

#34 6 years ago

You have your own pin. Sure wish I did right now. Play. Shoot and get a feel for the basics, then work on some of the finer techniques you can read about here.

You're not paying per game, so don't even worry about your scores. You're not playing competitive pinball. You're learning to play pinball. Don't hit the flipper without a purpose. That purpose is not always to shoot a ball. Holding the flipper button holds the flipper up, and this is key to controlling the action. Try holding a flipper up as a ball is falling onto it, instead of shooting it on the fly every time, and you might get a feel for live catching and trapping, the fundamentals of ball control. If you mess up and it bounces off the slingshot and into the outlane, big deal. You'll get the hang of it.

Every drain teaches something. It's either a lesson in how you can prevent it from happening, or it's a drain that you can't do anything about, it's a lesson that pinball is really, really unfair sometimes. The good thing about the game is it treats everyone equally. No biases, no prejudices. Some people are just better at imposing their will on the machine than others. Keep playing and you'll be one of them.

#35 6 years ago

With your new game don’t be afraid to set it up easy as possible. I have my out lane posts set to as small of an opening as possible. (Usually there’s 3 settings) set the game up to give you extra balls as often as possible with the menus.

The idea is to have fun. Don’t let the machine beat you up. I’ve never played GotG but it looks like fun

#36 6 years ago

Welcome to the club! It is a great hobby and very fulfilling. Watch You tube videos, and read forum. Knowledge is power, do not be afraid to ask questions. Also play what is fun to you, every opinion is subjective and I have learned to take people's opinions with a grain of salt. One game could be a blast for one person and a snooze fest for another, it is all subjective. Follow your own path and do not follow the sheep.

Things to consider for your new GOTG are shooter lane protector and super bands from Pinball Life. Also I put mylar over magnet spot on playfield for protection. GOTG has great flipper response, probably one of the best for modern machines. I noticed bump passing the ball is really easy on this title-practice, practice, practice. Also may change to five ball in settings until you get up to speed on rules and get better at playing.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from IDrink2Much:

Hi Lucy! I'm the co-organizer of the San Diego Pinball Club. We get together for weekly tournaments and occasionally pin parties at club members' houses. Besides our Meetup site that you received, you can check our Facebook page 'San Diego Pinball Club' for even more club news.
We're an open and friendly group that welcomes new members. Feel free to join us at our next event! And if you have any questions, just ask any of our members or me personally. Welcome to this super addicting hobby!

-Brian K

Hey Brian,

I joined the club but haven't gone to anything yet. Was considering hosting. Current lineup is Tom, totan, mb and DM. I also have a buddies wh20 that is for sale and will soon leave. I'm meticulous with my games and they look and play perfect. Also have a bar. I'm in Carmel Valley. Would people be interested if i hosted a weekend night?

20171208_223007 (resized).jpg20171208_223007 (resized).jpg

20171007_210826 (resized).jpg20171007_210826 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

WELCOME,Lucy!!! I bet you have a idea now how to proceed! Best advice I could give you is to hook up with o-din! We here in Norcal also have a great Pinball expo in May at Lodi! Try and make a few expos,maybe join a league,Have Fun,and B safe! California love :::us up here

#39 6 years ago

My wife beats me at pinball everyday! Almost all our pins have her initials in the high scores!! You ladies take it easy on us guys!!

#40 6 years ago

It scientifically proven woman are better pinballers due to the lower centre of gravity and sweet sweet finesse. Now your going to have to learn how to come up with new excuses every time you bring another pinball machine home

#41 6 years ago

I’m so thrilled by all the warm advice and welcomes! I’ll post a picture of my new machine when it’s here to share the joy!

#42 6 years ago

Welcome to this awesome hobby. Here's a few links that should be useful:

Subscribe to the owners thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread

Keep up to date on code updates: http://www.sternpinball.com/games/guardians-of-the-galaxy/pro

Here's the evolving rule sheet: http://tiltforums.com/t/guardians-of-the-galaxy-pinball-rulesheet-wip/3338

Zach and Greg playing v0.8:

#43 6 years ago

Although it's a totally different game, I've always loved this video for learning about ball control:

#44 6 years ago

Some good resources I don't think have been mentioned:

http://www.pinballvideos.com - tutorals, competition, etc. all timestamped and organized
http://www.pintips.net - great, quick scoring strategies for games

#45 6 years ago

I like this comprehensive list of skills from ipdb
http://www.ipdb.org/playing/skills.html
Unfortunately, it is just text. Complement that with the Papa tutorials on youtube.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Yes, High Dive is down the street from me and where I play most here in SD. Yes they have Metallica (I think that's what MET means??), which was the game that really sparked me.

....And you hang out at The High Dive!??!! Dayum...hot and super cool! So awesome..

#47 6 years ago

Head to https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/ and click on Techniques from the menu. Good rundown of basic skills with video.

#48 6 years ago

Welcome to the hobby! You now have 'the sickness' that is pinball collecting. As some have posted before-make more room b/c these machines have a tendency to multiply! I started with 2 in march and am up to 5 now....lol

My gf and daughter regularly kick my a** in pinball! I return the favor in Golden Tee.....lol

#49 6 years ago

Went to the SD zoo this summer with the Family and found a cool pub that has great tacos and Pinball called The Harbor Town Pub. I suggest checking it out on Taco Tuesday’s. Great pork chicken beef and fried artichoke (yummy) tacos. Great beers too! They hold league there also as I saw a poster advertising it.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Lucysuros:

Hi Folks!
I’m new to the pinball hobby but I’m definitely hooked and serious. My first game is being delivered tomorrow! I know there aren't as many women as men into pinball but I plan to evangelize! Looking for advice on best approaches for improving my currently sub-par skills, learning more about the hobby and community, and mastering the new game that will be delivered tomorrow. It’s Guardians of Galaxy. I know it’s early and has to evolve, but I had a lot of fun playing it in bars and think it will end up being great. Anyhow, welcome any advice you have. Like should I focus on learning the rules of game first, just rack up time playing to improve ball control (any good tutorials on that?!) etc. Thanks!

Go play pinball, enjoy yourself. It's pretty easy. If you know other people with machines play those too, getting better is easiest when you can play a lot, so home games rule.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-advice-for-new-female-player/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.