(Topic ID: 13509)

Your Adventures of your first pinball purchase.

By swinks

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mattmain
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xanathar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 11 years ago

My First Pinball Purchase

It was early summer of 2010. I was at my sister’s house helping her do some work when her neighbor from across the street came over and asked if I could help him carry something into his basement. I said “Sure, No problem.” Took a walk over there, and in the back of his truck was a pinball machine. A Gottlieb Silver Slugger. I always liked pinballs when I was a kid, so I was kind of excited to help him move it into the basement. We got it downstairs, set it up, and continued to play for hours, drinking beer, etc. I felt bad because I completely forgot about my sister. She even came over a couple times to ask are we done yet, and I remember saying…”Just one more game, then I’ll be back over”.

Anyway…..after this experience, I remember for the days following, all I could think about was that machine, and that I wanted some sort of pinball for my house. Of course not having a lot of spare cash, I scoured the only place I knew of that pinballs may be listed (Mr. Pinball because that’s where he got his from) and started looking. Eventually I came across something in my price range. I found a Williams Blackout for sale for around $450, at I only had to drive about 2 hours to get it. I made contact and asked the person about the pin, and he said to come on down.
    Driving seemed like it took forever (anticipation, eagerness, who knows). Finally got there, I stepped into his house and he must have literally has like 10 or so pinball in his house. My jaw dropped. I then saw the Blackout. It looked AWESOME. No visible wear marks, back glass looked great (never new at the time some used real glass ), and ran with no problem. It wasn’t a fast modern pinball, but it was a good start to get my feet wet as they say. He was great to deal with and even offered to talk to me on the phone when I got home if I had problems.

We loaded it into my truck and home I drove. Got it back to my house, called a friend over to help me carry it and we were up and running. I spend several hours a day playing the pin, looking under the playfield studying how things worked, and did research on how I could improve the pin, how to clean it properly, etc. Eventually I put all LEDs in it, and sold it when I went to go buy my third pinball.

I have to say my initial experience being so well, is probably what kept me interested in the hobby. I have heard horror stories of people first experience where people were rude, or not helpful, and it really turned people off from the hobby.

Now I am addicted. Can’t get enough of it. Made some good contacts with other hobbyists. Joined Pinsdide. All is well.

That’s my First pinball story.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Xanathar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-adventures-of-your-first-pinball-purchase?tu=Xanathar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.