(Topic ID: 71222)

Younger (mid 20's) Pinsiders, what games do you like?

By PopBumperPete

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2013-11-19-05-31-14.png
    lager.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

My son has moved into a larger house and now wants to borrow some of my pinball machines
    I am hoping that not all pinsiders are 40+
    My question is for the younger (mid 20's) guys, do you enjoy playing games that are as old as you (system 11) or do you only enjoy modern Sterns?

Just trying to find the right mix of games from my collection for him to borrow.

thanks

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

My son has moved into a lager house

Oh man, I want to live in a lager house!!!!

lager.jpglager.jpg

#3 10 years ago

he is in his mid 20's, probably is that too

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #5 10 years ago

New sterns are good maybe one or 2 system 11s for variety but mostly dmds.. Any kind really not just later sterns

#6 10 years ago

I fall into the young'in club here grew up playing em (because it was there in the basement) still love em. I keep playing the newer dmd machines and for what ever reason just don't get it why everybody thinks there so good. Ok yes the dmd has something to show but not 5 grand worth. Like early solid state and up until about the 2nd pin dark ages of the 90's. My only exposure to em was in peoples basement where you find 1 or 2 mostly working but sorry looking machines. Have caught the pinball fever again in the last few years and yes the cure is more pinball but need more exposure to that clicking of relays and chiming bells of em.

I say a few early 80's Bally and Williams machines old sterns if you got them and 1or 2 Gottlieb system 1 / 80 machines just to level the field.

#7 10 years ago

I'm 27, so on the older end, but I personally enjoy a mix of EMs, various SS games, and DMDs, anywhere from '62 throgh '99. I wouldn't be opposed to newer pins (i.e. Sterns,) just haven't been willing to spend enough on one game to buy any of the Sterns I would really want.

Back on topic, though - it depends how many games will be there. I'd say go for DMDs or a DMD and alphanumeric (System 11) as the first couple games in the door.
    If you're taking him more than 4, then maybe throw an EM in there.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from cp1610:

I fall into the young'in club here grew up playing em (because it was there in the basement) still love em. I keep playing the newer dmd machines and for what ever reason just don't get it why everybody thinks there so good. Ok yes the dmd has something to show but not 5 grand worth. Like early solid state and up until about the 2nd pin dark ages of the 90's. My only exposure to em was in peoples basement where you find 1 or 2 mostly working but sorry looking machines. Have caught the pinball fever again in the last few years and yes the cure is more pinball but need more exposure to that clicking of relays and chiming bells of em.
    I say a few early 80's Bally and Williams machines old sterns if you got them and 1or 2 Gottlieb system 1 / 80 machines just to level the field.

He is holding a Sinbad (gottlieb sys 1) for me , but he does not want to keep it
    I will give him a Stern Spiderman for sure
    I am not sure if he will enjoy a BK2000 though

#9 10 years ago

I'm 24 and have really enjoyed ft and shadow out of the ones I've owned. Love most system 11s that I've played too.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

I'm 24 and have really enjoyed ft and Shadow out of the ones I've owned. Love most system 11s that I've played too.

Jdoz2 - 24 and has a Humpty Dumpty to go with Shadow and DM! Free, right?

Humpty is a piece of history and artwork also. Very cool!

#11 10 years ago

He is holding a Sinbad (gottlieb sys 1) for me , but he does not want to keep it
    I will give him a Stern Spiderman for sure
    I am not sure if he will enjoy a BK2000 though

I'm far from my 20's now, but when I was I would not have given Sinbad a sniff. I gravitated more towards the dmd's first and then earlier SS stuff back then. Fast forward to several years later, a beautifully restored Sinbad showed up at Expo and I played the hell out of it. It wasn't until then that I "got it". After that, I had to go get one for myself. Love the game now, especially in multiplayer. Sinbad is a great game that requires skill and will teach you patience.

That said, if he's a newb, I'd probably consider giving him something other than BK2K cuz I'd probably put it in a similar category as Sinbad, skillz-wise. SM should be a great one to start with though.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Jdoz2 - 24 and has a Humpty Dumpty to go with Shadow and DM! Free, right?
    Humpty is a piece of history and artwork also. Very cool!

It's a awesome actually owning one, even if it won't work unless I find another one to steal parts from. I'm mostly a dmd snob, but i would really like some other stuff. I'm hoping to pickup a pitch and bat or EM at Texas next year. If there is room in the trailer

#13 10 years ago

I'm 19 so I'm not quite in the range you are looking for, but I'll put my input out there. I enjoy the later System 11 games a lot. I play High Speed a lot too, but not any of the other early System 11s. While I enjoy playing EM pinball machines, I'm not big on wanting them. I have a 3 of them, but they don't get played often. Anything DMD that isn't Gottlieb I usually enjoy (with a very select few that break that rule). The late 70's Bally machines have a few I like, but overall not a big fan. The Mid 80's Ballys are also not a big favorite of mine, they just play like they are cheap.

#14 10 years ago

My son has moved into a larger house and now wants to borrow some of my pinball machines
    I am hoping that not all pinsiders are 40+
    My question is for the younger (mid 20's) guys, do you enjoy playing games that are as old as you (system 11) or do you only enjoy modern Sterns?
    Just trying to find the right mix of games from my collection for him to borrow.
    thanks

Get him over on a Saturday afternoon, buy a six pack of domestic and imported, lock him in your games room with a piss bucket and tell him on beer number nine to pick the three that he wants. Maybe also leave him with a few savoury pastries if you have a good baker near by.

#15 10 years ago

25 here. I mostly enjoy system 11s.

#16 10 years ago

Pretty much all dmd's. But I like cars and racing so I got myself a checkpoint, hs2 is awesome though. I'm also nerdy so my JM fits, especially with the matrix trans in.

#17 10 years ago

I got into pinball in my 20s. Id say anything DMD. I didnt really care about anything else at the time.

#18 10 years ago

I am surprised at these answers. I fully expected the 20 something crowd to be pretty much Stern only. As a very close to 40 pinhead, I feel fortunate to have come into my own during the last pin golden age of the 90's. That's where my heart is, with regard to pinball. But I am very thankful (Happy Thanksgiving, everybody) that pins are still being made and love plenty of newer Sterns as well. I do currently own my first Sys 11 game, Earthshaker, and I love it too. Early Lawlor disaster pins (Earthshaker and Whirlwind) remind me of my early teens, so that is pretty cool for the nostalgia factor as well.

#19 10 years ago

I'm 16, and I tend to really like the gottlieb sys80 games and the system 11 games.

#20 10 years ago

You're a good kid.

Steve

Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I'm 16, and I tend to really like the gottlieb sys80 games and the system 11 games.

#21 10 years ago

I am 26 and collect pinball machine since I am 16. I have had around 75 of them, now 14 from Baffle Ball to AC/DC.

#22 10 years ago

28 here. Enjoy them all, but prefer to own system 11 and up. Tend to buy 90's williams because I don't have the coin the drop on a stern. Soon as I upgrade in life I will probably buy a ST or Tron.

#23 10 years ago

I'm pushing 30, but If you're looking at loaning multiple games I'd say go for something flow-y, something stop-and-shoot-y, and something with decent depth to the rules. Having a mix of stuff is always good. Personally I'd vote not-Sterns, as they're pretty easy to come across in the wild. Just my two cents.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from ShredLox:

I'm pushing 30, but If you're looking at loaning multiple games I'd say go for something flow-y, something stop-and-shoot-y, and something with decent depth to the rules. Having a mix of stuff is always good. Personally I'd vote not-Sterns, as they're pretty easy to come across in the wild. Just my two cents.

Sadly here in Australia, pinball mmachinesare all in captivity

#25 10 years ago

Anyhow, thanks for all your replies
    As a collector in my late 40s, Icannot get into games built before 1970, iIlove the art, but gameplay leaves me cold

I just needed to know if the next generation felt the same about my favorite machines
    I need not have worried , you kids have great taste

#26 10 years ago

Sadly here in Australia, pinball mmachinesare all in captivity

Rubbish. That's not saying they're not rougher than a cats head.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/younger-mid-20s-pinsiders-what-games-do-you-like and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.