(Topic ID: 230776)

Young people and pinball

By Davidus56

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2E981DB-46F0-4AD7-A233-509E6A80F94A (resized).jpeg
    D552AF06-7A21-4592-A7D4-A64C2AF34072 (resized).jpeg
    F8C1CF3F-F5D1-420B-AC34-C910CFC89466 (resized).jpeg
    9EDBD69F-356B-4889-8024-AD384B33F3E8 (resized).jpeg
    9A782140-50A2-4538-A11A-5CD40A60F142 (resized).jpeg
    01AD3795-7CB8-47A0-A768-A27E3C762570 (resized).jpeg
    Resized_20170918_212637_2910 (resized).jpeg
    20170919_133642 (resized).jpg
    2od7y5 (resized).jpg
    20180810_152112 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
    h5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpg
    gsons118 (resized).jpg
    46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg
    F2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpeg
    64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 5 years ago

There is a bubble in general, but I don't think it will be utterly devastating when it inevitably pops. If anything we need the bubble to pop to drive prices back down. (Start dying off you hoarders ) It's an expensive hobby in general, and most newcomers get scared off by the sticker shock when they search "pinball machine for sale."

The people who are most into the hobby right now are the people who benefited most when it wasn't hard to get a great game for under $500 and most A-tier games prices were topping out at $3,000. Younger generations carry a lot more debt than previous generations (student loans and such), so I'm curious what expendable income for millenials will look like in the future.

The number of young players now will have drastic ramifications in the future when there is an inevitable glut well-maintained machines. Pinball games used to be tossed out all the time; now they're taken care of like defenseless babies.

I think the number of profitable and viable locations for operating machines is dwindling and younger generations are anemic to carrying around change. It's not a competition for people's money; it's a competition for people's attention. Getting games in front of people is more difficult than ever before, and there is a fine balancing act of making games appeal to all skill levels.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On days like today... when the DOW is down 800 points all the sudden... I could see people selling off their collections all at once to raise funds and crashing the market.

Or they're like my father-in-law who is trying to cash out as much stock as possible because the growth seems unsustainable and he rather buy real-estate while interest rates are still low. There are plenty of dummies around here that still view pinball machines as investments despite the overwhelming evidence that there is a bubble.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I think most here are being too optimistic. Pinball machines are expensive as hell. Young people didn't grow up playing them in arcades or bars for 25 or 50 cents. They don't have that sense of nostalgia. Sure there are a few mainly due to their parents. But those are few and far between.
    Of course the end is still decades away until we all start downsizing or get thrown in nursing homes. Until then hopefully this pinball rennasaince continues

Also a ton of machines that are out there are $1/play. A lot of pinball games are way too frustrating/obtuse to learn how to play at $1/game. A person can play a crummy mobile game for a hour or two for that same dollar.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

That's where my postal zip is fucktard!! We don't have a post office by the lakes here. You couldn't afford where i live.
    The sands golf course is in my backyard, look it up. https://sandvalley.com
    3,18 hole courses. Half a dozen lakes within minutes drive. Including the 2nd largest in the state.
    Maybe you could afford to come visit me here someday. Dickhole. Doubt they'd let you in. If they did you couldn't afford it.
    Location unknown? They don't list zip codes for under rocks or shit piles? That embarrassed?

I love internet tough guys. Also the real estate page makes the place look like it's an old folks home for rich people.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Wtf is a soyboy. I’m a millennial and I’ve never heard that word used

Be glad! In context, it's basically the modern equivalent of calling a man a homophobic slur. It's up there with "cuck" (short for cuckold) as shit talk from some trailer trash.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/young-people-and-pinball?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.