(Topic ID: 230776)

Young people and pinball

By Davidus56

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2E981DB-46F0-4AD7-A233-509E6A80F94A (resized).jpeg
    D552AF06-7A21-4592-A7D4-A64C2AF34072 (resized).jpeg
    F8C1CF3F-F5D1-420B-AC34-C910CFC89466 (resized).jpeg
    9EDBD69F-356B-4889-8024-AD384B33F3E8 (resized).jpeg
    9A782140-50A2-4538-A11A-5CD40A60F142 (resized).jpeg
    01AD3795-7CB8-47A0-A768-A27E3C762570 (resized).jpeg
    Resized_20170918_212637_2910 (resized).jpeg
    20170919_133642 (resized).jpg
    2od7y5 (resized).jpg
    20180810_152112 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
    h5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpg
    gsons118 (resized).jpg
    46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg
    F2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpeg
    64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 5 years ago

Young people don't like pinball anymore, there's other stuff to do.

Young people didn't like pinball 15 years ago either.

And yet the hobby is absolutely filled with people in their 30s now.

SO it really doesn't fucking matter. Pinball has contracted a lot since it was a "go to" for young people 30 years ago. But it seems like there's always a generation of 30 year olds with disposable income who get interested in it as they age into noticing how awesome pinball is, and are ready to step up. It's been happening ever since I started collecting in my mid-20s and it'll keep happening.

Or it won't. What do I care? All I know is trying to force teenagers to get into pinball is a waste of time. They aren't gonna drive an '84 Iroc to the prom either, or get excited when Loverboy comes to town. Once again, it doesn't fucking matter. Stop worrying about it.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I love pinball now, but I HATED it as a kid and teenager. I'd often frequent my local bowling alley, which had an arcade of maybe 20 machines. Most were video games, about 4 were pinball machines. I'd put a few quarters in a pin (High Speed) and drain almost immediately. I didn't know how to play, didn't know where the points were, and only wanted to hit stuff to see the lights and sounds. I couldn't keep the ball alive long enough to even do that. Maybe I wasn't coordinated enough as a kid? I hated it. I stuck to the video games. They were constant action and I didn't need to think, I just needed to react. No learning required.
    Fast forward 15 years: I find myself in front of another pinball machine (Ripley's Believe It Or Not). I was able to keep the ball alive and hit stuff. I was required to think and analyze, and use my coordination to hit the intended shots. I had a specific plan in place and executed it to the best of my ability. I learned bumping and nudging over time, and all the other nuances and tricks that come along with pinball, and I'm still learning them to this day. It's a constant learning experience and I enjoy it greatly.
    Point is, I think kids aren't interested in pinball because being good requires a thought process, knowledge, and skill. All of this requires time and effort. Kids' brains haven't developed their frontal lobes enough to be interested in things that require such things (the majority of kids, anyway). Some do, most don't. We've all been this way. How many of us had a love of learning as a kid? How many of us have a love of learning today? I'll bet it's close to the same for all of us. As we've grown older, we've taking a liking to the challenging things in life, the ones that require time, effort, skill, thought, etc.
    Pinball won't die. In fact, with the increase in video games such as zen pinball and pinball arcade, the younger generation will be more inclined to join the hobby as an adult. They will be more familiar with it, and therefore won't be afraid to attempt it when the moment arises.
    My 2 cents.

Exactly. Young people haven't given a shit about pinball for decades. Yet the hobby is in better shape than it's been in decades.

So remind me why we need an Ariana Grande pinball machine?

Odin, you wanna field this one?

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I miss the ww2 generation. Those guys and gals were truly great.

Then you should go volunteer at a nursing home and keep them company. I'm sure they'd be happy to see you.

There are still plenty of them around, so head on over and tell them they are truly great. There are a number of organizations that can help you volunteer your time.

#59 5 years ago

You think the gang over at play Mechanix sits around asking each other "How do we get young people into Big Buck Hunter?"

I doubt it. Cause people get old enough to drink, go to bars, find Big Buck Hunters, and realize it's fun to drunkenly shoot at video deer.

Pinball just needs to be the same way. Keep the games good, and the doors open, and people will discover it when they get older. This is how it's been working for a long time now.

Young people are idiots! Don't take my word for it, ask any old people and they'll agree. Trying to cater to them works for pop music and bad movies. It's never going to work again in pinball, ever.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dom1:

I guess it depends on how you see pinball dying. I don't believe younger generations will fork out the money to buy machines but will play one when given the opportunity. Machines are just way too exspensive compared to a $60 video game.

People here are either rich, dumb enough to spend way too much of their average or worse income on pinball machines, or somewhere in between.

That's not going to change when the "younger generation" gets to be in their prime pin-buying years. If the entire lot are truly too poor to afford pinball machines we are all going to be living in a Soylent Green dystopia anyway so who really cares.

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Mine wants to keep Big Daddy and Stars. She could give a damn about any of the rest of them.
    They might enjoy the novelty when they are small children, but they grow into young adults fast and the last thing many of them want to deal with at that age is lugging around a bunch of 250 pound machines, especially the ones with laughable (not comedy) themes.

I would think struggle buggies weighs only around 200.

#161 5 years ago

Kids are so young and innocent and don’t realize how bad premier games are.

Brings a tear to the eye!

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

And finally got done setting up, shopping this thing and upgrading a few other things. She couldn’t wait to jump on it...didn’t even put it in place before she hit the start button.
    This game better Law/Levi?
    [quoted image]

This game is also terrible.

But you are doing a great service getting these games in front of kids, and like I said, they really aren't gonna know the difference between a good game or a bad one.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Your Post sizes it up better than any I have read.In many ways pinball will become (and already is) an "Elite" hobby.
    I remember being in awe when I was young and someone had an actual Commercial-Grade pinball machine in their house. Rare then and still rare today.

When I was a kid I would pretty much shit myself if I found ANY kind of commercial coin-op device at a friend's house. One kid had a vintage popcorn machine which ruled. Another had a broken EM pinball in his basement which was amazing in itself.

It just wasn't done!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/young-people-and-pinball?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.