(Topic ID: 230776)

Young people and pinball

By Davidus56

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2E981DB-46F0-4AD7-A233-509E6A80F94A (resized).jpeg
    D552AF06-7A21-4592-A7D4-A64C2AF34072 (resized).jpeg
    F8C1CF3F-F5D1-420B-AC34-C910CFC89466 (resized).jpeg
    9EDBD69F-356B-4889-8024-AD384B33F3E8 (resized).jpeg
    9A782140-50A2-4538-A11A-5CD40A60F142 (resized).jpeg
    01AD3795-7CB8-47A0-A768-A27E3C762570 (resized).jpeg
    Resized_20170918_212637_2910 (resized).jpeg
    20170919_133642 (resized).jpg
    2od7y5 (resized).jpg
    20180810_152112 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
    h5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpg
    gsons118 (resized).jpg
    46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg
    F2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpeg
    64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Just the oldest of the group. Every year after got progressively worse. The meth and heroin generation.

Meth and heroin use is up because of the opioid epidemic not because melenials use heroin.

People who were prescribed hundreds of opioids for “pain” became addicted. Then they could not get a prescription any more for many reasons ended up turning to the streets for their fix. They became addicted to drugs prescribed to them first and the age range is not the generation x or melenials but their parents ages.

#102 5 years ago

Whoops

#103 5 years ago

Guys and galls stop btchng about the youth! Now go and spread the pinball love!
    If your kids don't like to play because its not cool to like what daddy does, then spread it at nieces nephews neighbours and on
    Spread the word.... pinball is back and its here to stay and it will evolve!
    Open up your gamerooms start a barcade and spread the love you old farts!

#104 5 years ago

What a bunch of doom and gloom'ers some of you are!

When I go the pin bars around town, it's packed with "yutes" in the early 20's to early 30s age range.

Neighbors come over with their kids and the kids make a bee line right for my basement and the pins are rockin.

My daughter brings hockey teammates over and they could be playing Fortnite, but instead they are playing pinball and SuperChexx.

Pinball isn't going away anytime soon, if at all

#105 5 years ago

I think most here are being too optimistic. Pinball machines are expensive as hell. Young people didn't grow up playing them in arcades or bars for 25 or 50 cents. They don't have that sense of nostalgia. Sure there are a few mainly due to their parents. But those are few and far between.

Of course the end is still decades away until we all start downsizing or get thrown in nursing homes. Until then hopefully this pinball rennasaince continues

#106 5 years ago

26 here. I'll buy any of your games when you guys move on.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

That's not me, sorry. Boomers aren't the main pinball buyers. They're in their mid 60s plus. They would at least fight for america and have pride. If millennials needed to defend america as in a draft, we'd be screwed. Too many soyboy types.

Quoted from leonml:

That pic and stuff is political dreck. Politicians are to blame for most of what's in that diatribe. Give me a break. Boomers kids raised the millenials. The boomers are to blame for spoiling their kids and for the first time raise a generation who needed nothing. The 80s kids raised entitled children who didn't have to work for it. Also coddled beyond belief. The bike helmet crowd.
    Thought we were talking pinball.

Quoted from leonml:

Just the oldest of the group. Every year after got progressively worse. The meth and heroin generation.

Quoted from leonml:

Virtual pin? Please!! The kids chew up and spit out far more involved interactive online games in months before they're already chomping at the bit for the"new" sequel. If no sequel, on to the next. Then the new game system comes out and their 2 or 3 year old one is just crap. They want instant gratification. They see the rare cool kids doing skateboard, or bmx or snowboard trucks, and then beg mommy and daddy to buy them several of each cause the kids want, but the kids barely use the crap and give up because they don't want to learn, practice, or fall. Video systems are unlimited lives forever and cheat codes and somewhat nonsense. It's all they do. It's also damaging to them.

It is truly astounding how out of touch you are.

#108 5 years ago
    145CD483-C950-49D2-96C6-B72B8AE01895 (resized).jpeg145CD483-C950-49D2-96C6-B72B8AE01895 (resized).jpeg
    #109 5 years ago

Seriously though... I’m 36 but with advances in modern science and my high level of income, I mean it’s not crazy to think I can't live to be 245, maybe 300. I’ll buy all your pins.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Seriously though... I’m 36 but with advances in modern science and my high level of income, I mean it’s not crazy to think I can't live to be 245, maybe 300. I’ll buy all your pins.

If you ain’t first you’re last.

#111 5 years ago

I guess it depends on how you see pinball dying. I don't believe younger generations will fork out the money to buy machines but will play one when given the opportunity. Machines are just way too exspensive compared to a $60 video game. Most people my age lose interest fast in whatever the new trend is with something new coming out all the time. With that being said though I'm 26 and wish I had about 10 more machines haha. The only way I can afford to buy machines is buying project machines and mending them myself.ive loved pinball since I was about 5 playing my first machines at the sawgrass lanes bowling alley. In Fort Lauderdale. So just let the younger guys like me know when your getting close to kicking the bucket and we will keep this hobby alive.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dom1:

I guess it depends on how you see pinball dying. I don't believe younger generations will fork out the money to buy machines but will play one when given the opportunity. Machines are just way too exspensive compared to a $60 video game.

People here are either rich, dumb enough to spend way too much of their average or worse income on pinball machines, or somewhere in between.

That's not going to change when the "younger generation" gets to be in their prime pin-buying years. If the entire lot are truly too poor to afford pinball machines we are all going to be living in a Soylent Green dystopia anyway so who really cares.

#113 5 years ago

It's funny. At my local arcade there are plenty of kids (accompanied by their parents) who play and enjoy pinball. Some of them chimp flip, sure. But on location they go from game to game and really enjoy themselves. One young person I work with is desperate to get the high score on Mini Cycle. Mini Cycle!

We are completing a community theater show and I had a cast party at my house and the youngsters were all playing pinball and just loved it. Loved it! We had people aged 7 to 79 playing and they all just had a blast and couldn't wait to come back.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People here are either rich, dumb enough to spend way too much of their average or worse income on pinball machines, or somewhere in between.
    That's not going to change when the "younger generation" gets to be in their prime pin-buying years. If the entire lot are truly too poor to afford pinball machines we are all going to be living in a Soylent Green dystopia anyway so who really cares.

There always gonna be that person who believes their big brave is worth $4000. With the rising prices of machines on the private party and retail side people will start to lose interest in the hobby. I know I have. I don't expect prices to drop to nothing but maybe in the future they might be where prices were in the early 2000's. I don't see that happening for a while though. Trends will always come and go.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

It is truly astounding how out of touch you are.

We call it "drunk" around these parts

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I think most here are being too optimistic. Pinball machines are expensive as hell. Young people didn't grow up playing them in arcades or bars for 25 or 50 cents. They don't have that sense of nostalgia. Sure there are a few mainly due to their parents. But those are few and far between.
    Of course the end is still decades away until we all start downsizing or get thrown in nursing homes. Until then hopefully this pinball rennasaince continues

Also a ton of machines that are out there are $1/play. A lot of pinball games are way too frustrating/obtuse to learn how to play at $1/game. A person can play a crummy mobile game for a hour or two for that same dollar.

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

That's where my postal zip is fucktard!! We don't have a post office by the lakes here. You couldn't afford where i live.
    The sands golf course is in my backyard, look it up. https://sandvalley.com
    3,18 hole courses. Half a dozen lakes within minutes drive. Including the 2nd largest in the state.
    Maybe you could afford to come visit me here someday. Dickhole. Doubt they'd let you in. If they did you couldn't afford it.
    Location unknown? They don't list zip codes for under rocks or shit piles? That embarrassed?

I love internet tough guys. Also the real estate page makes the place look like it's an old folks home for rich people.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You think the gang over at play Mechanix sits around asking each other "How do we get young people into Big Buck Hunter?"
    I doubt it. Cause people get old enough to drink, go to bars, find Big Buck Hunters, and realize it's fun to drunkenly shoot at video deer.
    Pinball just needs to be the same way. Keep the games good, and the doors open, and people will discover it when they get older. This is how it's been working for a long time now.
    Young people are idiots! Don't take my word for it, ask any old people and they'll agree. Trying to cater to them works for pop music and bad movies. It's never going to work again in pinball, ever.

It doesn't even really work for pop music

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

How many young people can afford a $8500 toy?

Apparently some can.
    download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#120 5 years ago

I hoping to buy up the games from this older generation someday.. Especially the ones where they told their wives it was half of what they actually paid for it

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from leonml:

Sorry, if someone takes a jab, i knock them the fuck out.

Look-Out-We-Got-a-Badass (resized).jpgLook-Out-We-Got-a-Badass (resized).jpg
    #122 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

When I go the pin bars around town, it's packed with "yutes" in the early 20's to early 30s age range.

Damn straight. I was in Chicago in April, go to Logan’s Arcade or Replay. The places are packed with anybody from 18 to 50 through the wee hours of the morning. All playing pinball. It is still a niche hobby, but I think that niche will continue.

I’ve surrounded my friends and even my daughter with it since birth. She absolutely loves playing them and even helps me fix and set them up when a new one comes home. Photo chronology below. Obviously loves BF.

Will she grow up to own 20 games? Maybe. Will she own two or three? I would say definitely. At minimum, she will force her husband into buying a few to keep in the basement just because it will remind her of me and her childhood. And she will play them.

All I know is I don’t even have to be in the game room, she’ll go out, turn one on, and start playing all by herself. And she’s only 5.

1 year
    33C6EF5E-EA67-41FF-9EA0-1D4A5390EDB0 (resized).jpeg33C6EF5E-EA67-41FF-9EA0-1D4A5390EDB0 (resized).jpeg
    6C33C0A9-94C6-49FD-8354-EEA0D1C68080 (resized).jpeg6C33C0A9-94C6-49FD-8354-EEA0D1C68080 (resized).jpeg

2 years - using Novus and assembling CE3K
    417526BB-0D7A-4049-AA44-DA3454FB9F52 (resized).jpeg417526BB-0D7A-4049-AA44-DA3454FB9F52 (resized).jpeg

2 1/2 years - her own game
    2228F425-972C-447C-B1D3-319E13775F37 (resized).jpeg2228F425-972C-447C-B1D3-319E13775F37 (resized).jpeg

3 years - enough with the Home model crap
    F2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpegF2DE84D4-0BD3-4845-819B-FD39736E24E1 (resized).jpeg

4 years - helping with resto and lovin vamps
    64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg64626CB1-A874-4371-B7D1-0B78E4F4A076 (resized).jpeg
    46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg46546D5A-44B6-4C06-8E8C-A00BBC8E64A9 (resized).jpeg

5 years - still goin strong
    B731657D-B276-4FC8-B010-25CDE8BE3893 (resized).jpegB731657D-B276-4FC8-B010-25CDE8BE3893 (resized).jpeg
    855F0B11-143B-4C38-8166-0696D5DA23CE (resized).jpeg855F0B11-143B-4C38-8166-0696D5DA23CE (resized).jpeg

#123 5 years ago

At the rate that pins have increased in price since 2002, a new pin in 2040 will be $34,300

No way today's youth will be able to afford that AND deal with the fallout from the current federal deficit (the last time the US had a balanced budget was 1998).

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

At the rate that pins have increased in price since 2002, a new pin in 2040 will be $34,300

Naw I kinda think at some point they'll stop going up; almost as if there was some sort of 'cap' or other term for a high point that can;t be broken.
    I'll be darned if I can find any estimations on on it though.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Look in any arcade. 10 kids playing DDR, 0 kids on the pins.

I wish kids would play Dance Dance Revolution. In my area most kids would rather play redemption games, aka "kiddie slot machines", instead of anything else. It's all about pressing a button, at the correct time, to see how many tickets you win. I don't even mind redemption games when the games themselves are fun, but it's just sad seeing $20 turn into 500 tickets which then turns into a yo-yo and 3 tootsie rolls in under 5 minutes. The games now are essentially just change machines that dispense tickets, instead of tokens. Want to reach the youth? Remove the flippers, and just launch the ball to have the machine spits out tickets.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Will she grow up to own 20 games? Maybe. Will she own two or three? I would say definitely.

My daughter is poised to own at least 15..... when I kick the bucket.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My daughter is poised to own at least 15..... when I kick the bucket.

Damn Odiner...didn't even think of it that way. Looks like mine will have about the same...or just have a fire sale at some point. She would most likely keep at least BF or BSD, so there's that...

#128 5 years ago

Mine wants to keep Big Daddy and Stars. She could give a damn about any of the rest of them.

They might enjoy the novelty when they are small children, but they grow into young adults fast and the last thing many of them want to deal with at that age is lugging around a bunch of 250 pound machines, especially the ones with laughable (not comedy) themes.

#129 5 years ago

The best luck I have introducing younger kids to pinball is to ask them control the right flipper, while I control the left. I say right because, most kid's also want to launch the ball.

#130 5 years ago

Yep start em early and they will stick with it!

gsons118 (resized).jpggsons118 (resized).jpg

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Mine wants to keep Big Daddy and Stars. She could give a damn about any of the rest of them.
    They might enjoy the novelty when they are small children, but they grow into young adults fast and the last thing many of them want to deal with at that age is lugging around a bunch of 250 pound machines, especially the ones with laughable (not comedy) themes.

I would think struggle buggies weighs only around 200.

#132 5 years ago

Wtf is a soyboy. I’m a millennial and I’ve never heard that word used

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Huh new to me as well. I gues that's how they get to be Betas?

"Slang used to describe males who completely and utterly lack all necessary masculine qualities. This pathetic state is usually achieved by an over-indulgence of emasculating products and/or ideologies."

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would think struggle buggies weighs only around 200.

Pinky was lighter and shorter. SB was when they went to a full size cabinet. Both gone now.

But she still plays the heck out of Stars. Who doesn't?

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh new to me as well. I gues that's how they get to be Betas?
    "Slang used to describe males who completely and utterly lack all necessary masculine qualities. This pathetic state is usually achieved by an over-indulgence of emasculating products and/or ideologies."

Oh. Word!

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Yep start em early and they will stick with it!

All I know is that cabinet on King Pin looks friggin spectacular. But what's with all the tarps?

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Wtf is a soyboy.

h5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpgh5fe9zvcmel01 (resized).jpg
    #138 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Be glad! In context, it's basically the modern equivalent of calling a man a homophobic slur. It's up there with "cuck" (short for cuckold) as shit talk from some trailer trash.

#139 5 years ago

I have been teaching everyone in my family how to be a good custodian of our machines.

The hope is that with guided supervision my children will not take apart my machines and destroy them at a later date.

We have almost finished my Space Shuttle hardtop restoration. Currently working out a rogue pop bumper switch issue.

My oldest likes to compete in Pinball Tournaments when he can. Not many all ages pinball tournament options but there are a few in STL.

IMG_1599 (resized).jpegIMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
    #140 5 years ago

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates ~451 B.C.

The kids are alright.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households.

2od7y5 (resized).jpg2od7y5 (resized).jpg

#142 5 years ago

My older kids don’t care for pinball. But my youngest son, daughter in law and granddaughter love it.

In fact my son has already claimed the game room, as his, when I’m gone.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from brett:

In fact my son has already claimed the game room, as his, when I’m gone.

Straight cash homie...he's probably already got the fro sale sign made

#144 5 years ago

first jazz, then blues, eventually rock. these things hit a cultural apogee and then fade but usually don't go completely away. does jazz music drive the culture? no, but once it did and it's still around if you know where to look and have a base level curiosity. in the movie "Special When Lit" Steve Ritchie predicted the demise of pinball. Perhaps someday, but consider momentarily that the price of used pinball machines has probably tripled since then. The number of steady manufactures has gone up. The expos and conventions keep getting bigger and more numerous and dedicated locations have popped up everywhere in the last seven or eight years. When I first got into pinball (really into it, not just passively into it) eight years ago i could hardly find any places to play.... the occasional movie theater with one broke down machine. There simply weren't too many places to play. Now i've traveled the country and played at dozens of locations some with over 100 pins. The Las Vegas HOF has twice outgrown their space. PAPA has outgrown their venue.

Will pinball ever be a major culture driver that it was between 1969 and 1977? probably not. But it will be there and just like with jazz and blues it will migrate towards specialist who keep it alive so that future generations can discover it at their leisure.

20180810_152112 (resized).jpg20180810_152112 (resized).jpg
    #145 5 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

26 here. I'll buy any of your games when you guys move on.

Not if I buy them first!!!!

Here's my two cents... I think this hobby will crash again... But, not like how Ben Heck think it will.
    These machines will always retain some value... Will your Scared Stiff or IJ be worth the 7-10k that you bought them for... No... Probably around 3-6k after the crash depending on how quickly you need to unload it. In a hurry. Then you'll have to take a haircut on it. Got time to find the right buyer for the right price... Then yes you'll get more.

I think right now we'll get more and more companies making pinball machines... And during the crash a lot will fold. But, the smart ones will remain in business, because I think there will be just enough demand due to the crazy and insane prices of the home market. And a crash will happen. Retro gaming is on the downslide in terms of prices. It'll grow in popularity still, just people aren't paying the insane prices they were a few years ago. Same thing will happen to pinball. But, the machines as I said I think will always retain some value.

As per young people getting into the hobby. There will always be youngblood. But, I doubt if it will be enough to sustain a truly robust hobby. I hope I am wrong. And retrocades are increasing in popularity. But, it might not be enough. I hope I'm wrong.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

She could give a damn about any of the rest of them.

Duly noted...

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

All I know is that cabinet on King Pin looks friggin spectacular. But what's with all the tarps?

My gameroom resides within a factory unit in a windy & very dusty area. Machines covered to protect from the level of dust. It is a pain 'but thems' the breaks'!

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image]

A soyboy is someone who plays Nintendo Switch?

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

A soyboy is someone who plays Nintendo Switch?

Def part of it.

#150 5 years ago

Pinball Price will crash? Lol! I already experienced. The 1st one was when Stern relaunched Ironman Vault and the 2nd is AFMR. My kids are not playing pinball with me at this stage. On the other hand, pinball is an expensive hobby. I just did a calculation a few days ago. The calculation showed I have spend a lot of my hard earning cash on pinball machines, plus I need to renovated my home to fit all my machines into a room. In general, I will feel bad / embarrassing, if I let my friends know how much money I have spent in this hobby. I believe my wife and my kids will sell all my machines if I passed away. No big deal! I am enjoying while I can.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/young-people-and-pinball/page/3?hl=aaav8r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.