(Topic ID: 154521)

You'll be back Jack...Road Kings Fan club!!

By agodfrey

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 400 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by BMGfan
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1664 (resized).jpeg
20240403_162613 (resized).jpg
pinside.899c209053ae86ea7199df83a50a50324cdd2a96 (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (1) (resized).jpg
pinside.f93733c6d6e00fd869e74cb0b2cc799fcba427b0 (resized).jpg
pinside.0f949ce2aeab2fcb5f1b0e8b382e320f6a75304e (resized).jpg
pinside.e292c41a9df48f28a7921fccb6ab3fbbd105ba13 (resized).jpg
pinside.9a4ff07ba1a156901a77abbce5f92fbbf9b58014 (resized).jpg
pinside.505e02516fdc94dad41db3447512bcfe2d1472d4 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240208_003438310 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg
IMG-20240122-WA0002 (resized).jpg
542-9 plastic raw (resized).jpg
IMG_1371 (resized).jpeg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Yeah that may end up happening.
I bought that gate I linked above on ebay for $8.
I don't have any spare gates around that are a good starting point, I think with some bending and twisting that one above will work.

I think there are two there . I belive marco has them tho.. I think thwts,were I scored mine...

#152 7 years ago

Ok, so found a Y ramp that is about 90% better than the disaster I currently have.
He's also going to check on the switch, but doubts it.

Which leads me to the next issue that I didn't know I had, until now.

The triangle diverter spinner thing where the ramp splits (not sure what it is really called) is not on my current ramp and won't be on the new one.
I know it looks a lot like the one on my bride of pinbot when it has to set the ball into both eyes, but I don't know where to look or what to search for to find one.
Any have a clue on a part number or the parts actual name?
When I look in the manual under playfield parts I don't see it lister.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

The triangle diverter spinner thing where the ramp splits (not sure what it is really called) is not on my current ramp and won't be on the new one.

I just picked up a pair of flipper return frames from Cliff and he mentioned that he makes the "star diverter" in stainless. I don't see it listed on his site (http://www.passionforpinball.com) so you'll probably need to email him.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Ok, so found a Y ramp that is about 90% better than the disaster I currently have.
He's also going to check on the switch, but doubts it.
Which leads me to the next issue that I didn't know I had, until now.
I know it looks a lot like the one on my bride of pinbot when it has to set the ball into both eyes, but I don't know where to look or what to search for to find one.
Any have a clue on a part number or the parts actual name?
When I look in the manual under playfield parts I don't see it lister.

I have all of these parts I believe on my populated playfield I just bought, I wouldn't mind pulling them to make dimensions for the cause, although buying repros would be the more sane option

#155 7 years ago

I need to check but I felt there was a separate music board for RK. Speech and SFX on one. And music on the other. That could be it. ....

Quoted from Phatchit:

Hey guys , I have a customers RK and I'm almost done with it . I have two issues left . 1. I have no music at all . I have all the speech and sounds but no music . 2. I'm having a reset issue and it seems to happen with rapid flipper presses and it seems to be more the left flipper. I've got new ribbon cables , resetted the chips , reflowed the pins , etc... am I missing something simple ? Any help would be great ! Thanks !

#156 7 years ago

So I received the switch assembly from ebay.
Flattened it and reversed the gate.
Dimension are close width wise.
I will need to put a narrow post on the slingshot side and do some more bending and adjusting but I think it's going to work.
After and before.

20170127_154259 (resized).jpg20170127_154259 (resized).jpg
20170127_151158 (resized).jpg20170127_151158 (resized).jpg

#157 7 years ago

Anyone have any preference for led colors under the playfield plastics? I'm not going nuts on this pin but comet leds are cheap enough that when I tear down the playfield for a cleaning and wax might as well led it.
There is not many in there so it shouldn't cost much.

Just didn't know if any colors make a difference or stick to all white.

#158 7 years ago

I find that for the most part you do warm white on reds and yellows, and cool white on blues and greens and you are good. That said I also color match (red in red, blue in blue, etc) so....tough call. Blues and greens I feel have the biggest difference when color matching. And then just warms in reds and yellows.

1 week later
#159 7 years ago

Hey guys, i'm almost finished putting the playfield back together from a full shop and clean.
Problem is that I have 7 black wood screws slightly larger than the typical silver wood screws and quarter head wood screws.
Not sure where they go. There are very few parts to go back on left.

I would have though the city back drop plastic at the top of the playfield, but that only has 6 screws.

Not a lot of holes that will accept this screw.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Hey guys, i'm almost finished putting the playfield back together from a full shop and clean.
Problem is that I have 7 black wood screws slightly larger than the typical silver wood screws and quarter head wood screws.
Not sure where they go. There are very few parts to go back on left.
I would have though the city back drop plastic at the top of the playfield, but that only has 6 screws.
Not a lot of holes that will accept this screw.

Maybe the screws that go in the rails?

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Maybe the screws that go in the rails?

I didn't take the rails off.

I'm leaning towards the back drop and then they had 1 screw somewhere else.

Tonight i'll go back to work on it and i'll remove the silver screws I put in there and try it. Should only take a minute

4 weeks later
#162 7 years ago

Hey guys, is there a common issue with the flashers on road kings? I'm just about done with mine, but the flashers under the left, right lightning bolts don't work right nor do the ones inside the back drop city.

One set of flashers will flash dimly but appears that someone soldered in a jumper from a set on the left lightning bolt to the right bolt.

Is each lightning bolt one set of flashers or two?

#163 7 years ago

I think I may have found the flasher issue. All the cement resistors on the right side resistor board are missing completely. So someone added a jumper to make them all flash at once putting a lot of extra load on the left side board. Once I cut the jumper the left side brightened up. I have to find some new ones now.

#164 7 years ago

Love RK, one of my favorites from back in the day. Here's mine... full led's as well as full Superbands, rings & flips.

IMG_0296 (resized).JPGIMG_0296 (resized).JPG

IMG_0297 (resized).JPGIMG_0297 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#165 6 years ago

Hi. Just picked up a RK last week. Also new to Pinside and discovered this Fan Club right after I joined. How great is that? Overall, the machine is in pretty good shape, but I have some questions to those of you like Nitram that have removed the mylar. I want to remove it, shop the pf and install a full protector. What method did you use for removal, freeze spray, heat, or something else? Did you lose any paint or have the insert decals lift? This is my first SS machine and I want to avoid mistakes. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

#166 6 years ago

Welcome to the club bro...and welcome to Pinside...I'm just a player as my Mylar is lifting a tad in spots...I just play the snot out of it... ...the techy type will chime in to help you out...see you around...........Joey

1 week later
#167 6 years ago

Count me in! Picked up a RK for $600 2 1/2 years ago and I've been hooked since! Had to do some board work on it, as the batteries had leaked, but once that was done and we got the LEDs in it, it's been a blast. Just picked up a Black Knight recently, so now I've got one from each of the Ritchie brothers.

I just found this club and didn't have time to read all of the previous posts, but I'm glad to have found you all!

20170107_182837 (resized).jpg20170107_182837 (resized).jpg

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Madbee:

Count me in! Picked up a RK for $600 2 1/2 years ago and I've been hooked since! Had to do some board work on it, as the batteries had leaked, but once that was done and we got the LEDs in it, it's been a blast. Just picked up a Black Knight recently, so now I've got one from each of the Ritchie brothers.
I just found this club and didn't have time to read all of the previous posts, but I'm glad to have found you all!

And yeah, we were playing around with the backglass LEDs in that picture, so it's a little bizarre looking...

#169 6 years ago

PaPa_Don i use freeze spray, and heat

#170 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Nitram. I used freeze spray and all the mylar popped off with no playfield damage. The adhesive was a bear. Took two afternoons to get it all off with flour, alcohol and naptha. Currently touching up the shooter lane and re-graining the metal guides.

1 week later
#171 6 years ago

Could anyone help me with making stencils? My cab is thrashed. Looking for good straight on pics of all sides so I can redraw and vectorize.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Could anyone help me with making stencils? My cab is thrashed. Looking for good straight on pics of all sides so I can redraw and vectorize.

I'll try to snap some pictures tonight and put them up. My cabinet is in pretty good condition, with some minor wear on the backbox art in one spot.

#173 6 years ago

Hi, another noob question. Has anyone found a way to duplicate the yellow dashed line that is under the "Y" ramp? I'm thinking pin stripe tape cut at regular lengths, or amber tail light lens repair tape also cut up. Don't see any pinball parts supplier selling the original tape. Thoughts?IMG_1713 (resized).JPGIMG_1713 (resized).JPGIMG_1714 (resized).JPGIMG_1714 (resized).JPG

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Here are right side, left side, front, right side back box, left side back box. Sorry for the glare from the flash (bad lighting in the basement) tried to keep it to a minimum...

20170711_214422.jpg20170711_214422.jpg

20170711_214347.jpg20170711_214347.jpg

20170711_215134.jpg20170711_215134.jpg

20170711_214101.jpg20170711_214101.jpg

20170711_214341.jpg20170711_214341.jpg

20170711_214431.jpg20170711_214431.jpg

20170711_214443.jpg20170711_214443.jpg

#175 6 years ago

Thank you so much!

2 months later
#176 6 years ago

Hey guys pulled my RK back out of our storage building after about 8 months I really missed it. This is a building we own not really a Storage unit, no moisture or roaches running around
Couple issues after pulling it out

1st one of the displays is dead, flipped it with a working one and moved the position and the feed is working but the display doesn't work at a working location either. I reflowed it but nothing, so if anyone has a spare display to sell please let me know.

2nd when I put the batteries in and turned it on at first it didn't boot wiggled the batteries and then it booted kind of weird the battery holder is new but was a little dirty. When it powered on I went into the settings and put it in Free Play without an issue then started playing it. Played fine for a bit but then I lost sound effects still had music. I pulled the mpu board and reflowed the board and the eprom sockets on the mpu and got the effects back but after that I started having Free Play issues. In the menu it says Free Play but now I can not change it back it will not work everytime I power it on. I press the start button and I get the no credit sound, I go back into the menu it will still say Free Play again still can't change it back just doesn't do anything only at the Free Play location all other options work just fine from what I see. If I go through the settings a few times till it resets and power it on and off a couple times it will work again but when it does work I still can't change it in the menu. Any ideas where to start troubling shooting this issue? Any help will be appreciated. Thanx

#177 6 years ago

Is it a plastic remote battery holder?
I'd probably start there if it's not, I've had system 11's do weird things with the original holders and sketchy battery connections. I hate those factory holders, they lose continuity all the time. It's a lesson I've learned more than I should have, especially since I have a pile of remote holders on hand all the time.

As for the display, make a wanted ad here on pinside.
I need the more rare ball/credit display and within a night I have offers for at least 3.
Only had to pay like $30.

1 month later
#178 6 years ago

Does anybody kow why my Road Kings VUK
Knocks when I start it.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Does anybody kow why my Road Kings VUK
Knocks when I start it.

If it's the knocker that's a early system 11 thing to let you know there is a switch error. You can turn it off in the menu. It's like... Switch alert or something

2 months later
#180 6 years ago

Hey RK fans I could use some help. Recently I made a couple adjustments on my game and have gotten back to playing it. I'm trying to figure out the rules and if something is wrong with my game. When I get the collect detour arrows lit it doesn't seem like I am collecting a detour value. I am not sure if the detour is collected at the in or out lane. Regardless of if the detour value is lit or not I get 1k points at the inlane and 25k points at the outlane. The only way I see collect detour on the display is if I repeatedly hit the middle ramp, this doesn't seem right to me, is it?

#181 6 years ago

Detour is collected on the exit of the ramp that's lit. So on the right exit it's the right inlane. On the left exit it's the left outlane. I think the center ramp switch has to register then the left or right lane for it to count so it knows it went up the center ramp then out the ramp to the lit side.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from boomgopinball:

Detour is collected on the exit of the ramp that's lit. So on the right exit it's the right inlane. On the left exit it's the left outlane. I think the center ramp switch has to register then the left or right lane for it to count so it knows it went up the center ramp then out the ramp to the lit side.

Ahhh, this makes sense! By the way the playfield is labeled it looks like it's collected by going down the outlanes only. Thanks for clearing this up for me! Now if I could only get my dang right inlane switch to work

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from boomgopinball:

Ok so I just did some testing. I can consistently get the left detour value by doing as you described, but I can't get the right detour value to collect. The right ramp exit switch works because every time I drop the ball through the exit it awards points, but will not award the detour value. I think this might be related to the problem I'm having with my right inlane switch. The right inlane switch registers during switch edge test, but not during game play. The game has had this problem ever since i got it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on with the right inlane switch and/or the right ramp exit? This has been driving me crazy and actually has caused me to not turn the game on for months.

1 week later
#184 6 years ago

Which firmware are you guys using?
L-4 is on IPDB.org as the official latest version.
I google a bit and understand a L-5 was made by Williams, but it was faulty. Then I found a "L-5 fixed" at:
http://www.system11.org/downloads/rkings_downloads.html
However, I'm told these version are not what they claim to be: a friend of mine tried and says the one named L-5 is L-1 and the one named L5 fixed is L2!?
Anyone tried them out?

Side question: Pop bumper caps, are the reproduced?

#185 6 years ago

look at planetarypinball EPROM DOWNLOADS

#186 6 years ago

I have been there:
- No revision history available
- "Revision information" lists a revision L-5
- L-4 is the one you can download
So, no clear answer here either

1 week later
#187 6 years ago

hello,

i have to rebuild my cabinet.. anyone have the grafics for the cabinet decals (so i don't have to make a new scan)

Anyone knows which font is used for the insertdecals ?

best regards

Mike

1 month later
#188 6 years ago

Hi from Australia. Have had my RK since 1999. has been in storage for the last few years and now fired up again to enjoy this great game.
Does anyone have (or know someone who has) a Y ramp complete with diverter OR diverter only complete with post/washers etc. I think some have manufactured their own so if anyone has one or the details on how they did it that would be great. also can someone send me clear pics of the post assembly for the diverter. Thanks in advance for help with this form the other side of the Pacific.

#189 6 years ago

I'll see if I can grab some pics today. Not sure about the ramp, haven't heard of any being made, maybe someone has..

2 weeks later
#190 5 years ago

Just picked up a road kings yesterday. Can't wait to start playing. I had a little buyers remorse, paid on high side for quality but hope to clean her up and tweak in future.. is there any upgrades available, 2.0 etc... The addition of a third multiball, for starters, would be great.. great to know there's others that can help me with any problems the machine brings, I'm not really knowledgeable about the tech of machines.. anyway, great to be a part of it..

#191 5 years ago

Welcome!! There are two proc projects for road Kings but neither are publicly available.

1 week later
#192 5 years ago

Phew took me forever . Let me know if you need more.

@rbm

Quoted from rbm277:Hi from Australia. Have had my RK since 1999. has been in storage for the last few years and now fired up again to enjoy this great game.
Does anyone have (or know someone who has) a Y ramp complete with diverter OR diverter only complete with post/washers etc. I think some have manufactured their own so if anyone has one or the details on how they did it that would be great. also can someone send me clear pics of the post assembly for the diverter. Thanks in advance for help with this form the other side of the Pacific.

IMG_20180505_112925 (resized).jpgIMG_20180505_112925 (resized).jpg

MVIMG_20180505_112914 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180505_112914 (resized).jpg

MVIMG_20180505_112930 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180505_112930 (resized).jpg

MVIMG_20180505_112920 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180505_112920 (resized).jpg

MVIMG_20180505_112911 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180505_112911 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#193 5 years ago
Quoted from rbm277:

Hi from Australia. Have had my RK since 1999. has been in storage for the last few years and now fired up again to enjoy this great game.

I have the star diverter in a bag somewhere (or at least i'm pretty sure I do).
A generous pinside member sent it to me for free.
While it was on it way I land up with a second.
If you still truly need it (please don't take it as a spare) i'd be willing to send it to you if you are willing to pm him thanking him for it when you get it.
Joe

#194 5 years ago

so much fun.. had it a few weeks now, stepping right back to a 15 year old kid playing pinball, the look sound feel. And the feel, I love this era of these games, the power of the flippers, Ball flying around the ramp, everything lighting up, the call out, synth, ahh it's awesome...
Question, have they made parts for these? Y ramp or diveter ramp (whatever it's called).. mines cracked and Ball gets stuck on the entry of it.
Is there anywhere that has plans for 3d printing older games parts?

Added over 6 years ago: Also scores on the right side, nothing showing, all good on left.. where should I look?

#195 5 years ago

I'm not aware of anyone making the ramp. These ramps, from what I'm told, would be hard to 3d print. But I think you could do something. But 100% but functional. I think it would be cool to do something mad Max style in parts.

As for scores that's a tough one. Open up a tech tread. My first guess would be a cable issue (so wiggle them to see if anything comes on) or maybe a bad resistor on the display board.

The worst it could be is a bad display. They make low voltage led replacements now.

Welcome.... Who will challenge the Road Kings!!

#196 5 years ago

The Front kicker, is there only one guide on the right side, with a bar on the left? Or does it have guides both sides? My left entry post, Ive just discovered had tape and bluetack around it.. do you buy that plastic/rubber stuff that mounts the posts, to make your own or is it premade?

#197 5 years ago

Can you take a photo. That might help narrow it down. I'm happy to take a look and report back on how mine is.

#198 5 years ago

Thanks mate..

IMG_20180525_104033 (resized).jpgIMG_20180525_104033 (resized).jpg

#199 5 years ago

I'm going to grab some more pics tonight but yes. Guide on right, bar on left. And you need a tapered post rubber on there. Need to check the size but basically this:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=65

No need to make your own. All rubber parts are premade.

epmd

967d2a5a9f861c9f3baa1f5219fa14e187086bbe (resized).jpg967d2a5a9f861c9f3baa1f5219fa14e187086bbe (resized).jpg

#200 5 years ago

Also your post to the right of the saucer (kicker) looks a little out of sorts. I'll take a pic of that roo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youll-be-back-jackroad-kings-fan-club/page/4?hl=bromike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.