(Topic ID: 154521)

You'll be back Jack...Road Kings Fan club!!

By agodfrey

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 400 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by BMGfan
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1664 (resized).jpeg
20240403_162613 (resized).jpg
pinside.899c209053ae86ea7199df83a50a50324cdd2a96 (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (1) (resized).jpg
pinside.f93733c6d6e00fd869e74cb0b2cc799fcba427b0 (resized).jpg
pinside.0f949ce2aeab2fcb5f1b0e8b382e320f6a75304e (resized).jpg
pinside.e292c41a9df48f28a7921fccb6ab3fbbd105ba13 (resized).jpg
pinside.9a4ff07ba1a156901a77abbce5f92fbbf9b58014 (resized).jpg
pinside.505e02516fdc94dad41db3447512bcfe2d1472d4 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240208_003438310 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg
IMG-20240122-WA0002 (resized).jpg
542-9 plastic raw (resized).jpg
IMG_1371 (resized).jpeg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 7 years ago

So beautiful

#102 7 years ago

Contemplating joining the club...but have only played the game sparingly at shows. I have a line on a pristine example. Convince me!

#103 7 years ago

Who will challenge the road kings??

YOU.....NOW BUY IT and shoot for mega score!!

#104 7 years ago

Just yesterday I was offered a Road Kings for $500. There is some planking on the upper right of the playfield and a spot just above the flippers that the paint is worn through.
Pop bumpers are not working nor the slings. Game starts up and plays so it looks like the boards are ok.
Does it sound like $500 is right for this condition? The Back glass looks perfect.

Chad

#105 7 years ago

I need some help from my Road Kings friends. I'm still trying to figure out the problem with my right inlane switch which is the number 3. Can someone snap me a few pics of the wiring of this leaf switch from the underside of the playfield? If possible I would like to see a couple closeups and one a little farther away that shows both the right in and outlane. My Grand Lizard has a jumper wire between in and outlanes and trying to figure out if Road Kings has one I might be missing. Thanks!

#106 7 years ago

hi I want to use Flat Top Single Led Frosted by cometpinball.com
are this good one for in the Road Kings

1 month later
#108 7 years ago

If the game plays yes yes yes. Pops and slings are most likely a transisior or.......a fuse, kid you not, got mine and the fuse was just old. Sometimes it IS just a fuse. Looked like the fuse was jossled one too many times and broke. Replaced and never looked back.

For me any working SS game, or working 90%, is worth it. In parts alone this game is more than $500. Go for it!

Quoted from FirstPinGLin2011:

Just yesterday I was offered a Road Kings for $500. There is some planking on the upper right of the playfield and a spot just above the flippers that the paint is worn through.
Pop bumpers are not working nor the slings. Game starts up and plays so it looks like the boards are ok.
Does it sound like $500 is right for this condition? The Back glass looks perfect.
Chad

#109 7 years ago

Funny you should say that, I did get it and it was a fuse. One of the pop bumpers had a swollen coil sleeve that was holding the switch on and it would blow the fuse. Fixed that and no more problems.
I need to get one new plastic though, the one just to the left of the center ramp. Anybody have one to sell?

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Contemplating joining the club...but have only played the game sparingly at shows. I have a line on a pristine example. Convince me!

After considering my options carefully, I decided to pass on that CQ example of Road Kings. It was really nice, and probably worth the money they wanted for it, but I don't think I'd want to have that much tied up in a RK. I'm convinced the game is good, but probably not good enough to keep for any length of time in my collection.

1 week later
#111 7 years ago

Ok. everything else sold but the audio board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/37011

2 weeks later
#112 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Ok. everything else sold but the audio board.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/37011

Hey guys I just joined the club a few weeks ago, agodfrey thanks for the sound board. I bought it cause as soon as I got RK I lost the Background music for a sec so just in case. Broken Token actually just went through a repair on the music for a RK on their podcast, good stuff for a noob like me.

1st question my Lane Change isn't working well just seems to change whenever it feels like it. Any ideas where I should look 1st?

Thanks RK is a great game I love the music!

#113 7 years ago

I think in Road Kings it only changes with the right flipper. If your 1-2-3-4 inserts don't change every right flip, it could be the switch at the flipper mechanism isn't closing all the time at a full stroke.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from sven:

I think in Road Kings it only changes with the right flipper. If your 1-2-3-4 inserts don't change every right flip, it could be the switch at the flipper mechanism isn't closing all the time at a full stroke.

Finally got back around to RK, I checked the switch at the flipper and sure enough it just wasn't making good contact. Quick adjustment and all is good now.

Thanx!

#115 7 years ago

Just bought a Road Kings last month. I love this game!

Nitram - you're pf restoration looks fantastic.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Thanks man, I'm having this same experience and wasn't sure if it was supposed to as this is the only Road Kings I've ever played. Will check the leaf switches on the flipper.

#117 7 years ago

Agreed that it's the flipper switch connection causing the lane inserts to not change. I sanded them down and it's better but not 100%. Probably easier to just replace the leaf switches with new ones.

#118 7 years ago

I tried cleaning the contacts several times on the right flipper switch, but the 1-2-3-4 lane change still only works sometimes. Any chance it is the capacitor connected in that same area?

#119 7 years ago

Yup.. I love mine...

IMG_20160826_171245 (resized).jpgIMG_20160826_171245 (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago

Just got my Proc boards installed and starting to test my code for Road Kings Apocalypse / The Red Skulls. Stay tuned!

1 week later
#121 7 years ago

EXCELLENT stream yesterday!

#122 7 years ago

I agree.............Joey

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Just got my Proc boards installed and starting to test my code for Road Kings Apocalypse / The Red Skulls. Stay tuned!

Cool! I'm curious what game you made of it!

#124 7 years ago

Well it's road kings but expanding the rules set. You can still play regular RK but I'll be also putting in a dmd (during stock ROM it shows as an alpha displays) LCD display and then you can play an expanded rule set with either the red skulls or RK APOCALYPSE story line

4 weeks later
#125 7 years ago

Playing around with different led bulbs... road kings,is a very addictave game.. as are alot of mid 80s williams.. I play it daily in my tattoo shop...

IMG_20161016_110637 (resized).jpgIMG_20161016_110637 (resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

While I'm on the fan club page..
I have one minor sound issue during play..
When you lock the two balls and prep for battling the road kings.. the voice part isn't always comple..
Suppose to say meat or beat the road kings.. it's not always completely spoken .. sometimes beat or beat the .. and right to multi ball ? Any ideas.. no affect on game play at all..

#127 7 years ago

which leds did you use in the Road Kings

#128 7 years ago

Hmm.
From Comet.. they were pretty cheap.. IL have to check the type.. 25 packs were 8 bucks.

#129 7 years ago

Milltown, please let us know, I'm looking for LEDs for a newly acquired Road Kings

#130 7 years ago

IL check it out on my list..of receipts

#131 7 years ago

Thanks man. I went to the Comet site, i"m new to LED's but I think I'll invest in the 25-packs in 5 colors to get started.

I picked my RK up for $200 missing legs, displays, MPU and PSU boards. Includes a bubbly mylar playfield in good shape, everything seems to be ok, including ramps. Needs new rubber, obviously.

Got some displays $90

I am $150 into MPU board repairs (took it from my HS, for which I now have a 'new' MPU), including NVRAM from a local tech. Bought a new PSU for my High Speed and gave RK the old PSU. I have everything working on the MPU except most in-game sounds and speech. That's a problem I'm looking into. Background music is perfect.

I have a couple of solenoids that won't fire, (drop target reset, ramp down, ramp ball kicker) I'm looking to see of it's a diode or one of those relay boards on the playfield.

Spending my weekend with Road Kings! It'll look nice in LED, next to High Speed!

Cheers

#132 7 years ago

Was that the road kings that was for sale with one complete working and one missing the boards? It's not aewsome game man.. do the 25 packs for sure .. best bang for the buck..

#133 7 years ago

It is a aewsome game sorry.. lol

#134 7 years ago

^^^...This ALL day.....!!!..........Joey

1 week later
#135 7 years ago

Pretty happy.. did some more under playfeild led bulbs.. matched the insert color to the bulbs .. but on the clear I did blue.. very rich in color ....

IMG_20161031_134916 (resized).jpgIMG_20161031_134916 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#136 7 years ago

Got my foot half way in the door

Picked up a almost fully populated playfield, a set of boards, a coin door, and a whole lot of dirt

IMG_3930 (resized).JPGIMG_3930 (resized).JPG

#137 7 years ago

That PF is beautiful. Should clean up very well! Plastics look intact and does't look like any wear!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

That PF is beautiful. Should clean up very well! Plastics look intact and does't look like any wear!

It has the typical wear at the ball drops, and a bunch of inserts are raised, The backside is a different story; wires are so dirty I can't tell what color they are, there's no telling if this game will live again unless I pumped about a grand into it , plus a cabinet... who knows

#139 7 years ago

Add me to the club! Picked one up a couple weeks ago as my first pin. Was playing it everyday until I toasted a transistor. Luckily, the tech forum on this site has awesome people and broke down the troubleshooting step by step for this particular issue - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fried-transistor-in-road-kings I have the parts on order so hope to be battling the Road Kings again once it's fixed!

RK1 (resized).jpgRK1 (resized).jpg

RK2 (resized).jpgRK2 (resized).jpg

#140 7 years ago

Oh wait.... I see it now....I.was just so excited!!

Quoted from Chosen_S:

It has the typical wear at the ball drops, and a bunch of inserts are raised, The backside is a different story; wires are so dirty I can't tell what color they are, there's no telling if this game will live again unless I pumped about a grand into it , plus a cabinet... who knows

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Here are a couple of pics of your missing gate (with ramp removed).
I don't know if it's obvious from the pics but the gate sits horizontally underneath the exit hole of the ramp so that it is activated by the ball when it drops through. A connecting rod attaches to the gate (you can just see it where the slingshot plastic is cut out) and goes through that hole in the playfield. Your switch should extend to underneath the hole and the connecting rod then connects to the switch and closes it when the gate is activated.

Does anyone know where to get the A-11124 Y gate exit switch assembly like this? The one on the road kings I picked up is totally missing (leaf is still there). Pics are on post #71 of this thread.
Also could use a new Y ramp which I would have thought would be made, but I don't see one. Do they exist?

#142 7 years ago

The only place I have seen either of those pieces is from other playfield part outs. No one makes the ramps and assemblies...... bummer

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

The only place I have seen either of those pieces is from other playfield part outs. No one makes the ramps and assemblies...... bummer

Thanks for the reply, is it specific to road kings or does any other system 11 use the same switch assemebly?

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Thanks for the reply, is it specific to road kings or does any other system 11 use the same switch assemebly?

I THINK it was just a RK, however, this game was made around the time of High Speed and Grand Lizard SO there is a small chance they used something from one of those games or you can get something similar fitted in from that era. Even then you'll need to borrow from old pated out machines.

A little tip though is that DATA East games of this era were using some of the same parts. I put in a trough switch assembly from a DE game in RK. So you may have luck there...

#145 7 years ago

I may buy one of these and bend it straight then reverse and bend the wire gate to meet my needs.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-10735

#146 7 years ago

Hey guys , I have a customers RK and I'm almost done with it . I have two issues left . 1. I have no music at all . I have all the speech and sounds but no music . 2. I'm having a reset issue and it seems to happen with rapid flipper presses and it seems to be more the left flipper. I've got new ribbon cables , resetted the chips , reflowed the pins , etc... am I missing something simple ? Any help would be great ! Thanks !

#147 7 years ago

I've had mine since june.. in fact I just took a break to let the wax dry.. I love mine ...

#148 7 years ago

Mine was belive it or not was a batteries issue.. one connector on the + side wasn't making connection and it was going back to factory and loosing the sound.. and the ribbon cable on the board side was giving me n issue if I opened the door to far .. since I relocated the batteries and am cautious on opening the door i have had no issues in months. .

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Does anyone know where to get the A-11124 Y gate exit switch assembly like this? The one on the road kings I picked up is totally missing (leaf is still there). Pics are on post #71 of this thread.
Also could use a new Y ramp which I would have thought would be made, but I don't see one. Do they exist?

I used a paperclip because I couldn't find one . Three days later I found one.. lol but the paper clip I bent is still there.. never stopped working..

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I used a paperclip because I couldn't find one . Three days later I found one.. lol but the paper clip I bent is still there.. never stopped working..

Yeah that may end up happening.
I bought that gate I linked above on ebay for $8.
I don't have any spare gates around that are a good starting point, I think with some bending and twisting that one above will work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youll-be-back-jackroad-kings-fan-club/page/3?hl=bromike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.