(Topic ID: 272947)

What is the best 2-pin lineup that you could make for $6700?

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gliebig
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0812 (resized).JPG
    20200715_104359_HDR (resized).jpg
    20200623_132233 (resized).jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Metzu:

Wich one its a better pick DEMO man or BSD?

BSD for great players, Demo man for everyone else... and us tall people love the handles.

#52 3 years ago

Transformers pro + Spiderman

#53 3 years ago

Met pro & starship troopers.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

BSD for great players, Demo man for everyone else... and us tall people love the handles.

I’ve always been curious about Demo Man. At 6’6” I think those handles would be awesome!

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Metzu:

Wich one its a better pick DEMO man or BSD?

BSD. I just never got into Demo man. Of course, that’s just my opinion. Mist multiball is a classic feature as well.

#56 3 years ago

My taste changes all the time but if I had $6700 to buy two pins at this very moment I’m kind of feeling Whirlwind and Doctor Who

#57 3 years ago

Glad to see the Doctor Who love in here.

#58 3 years ago

1 Stern. 1 classic.

That’s the formula. With space for just 2 games, they need to pair well.

First, the modern Stern. That’s going to be the big portion of your budget. Personally I’d pick the Pro model of your choice. I’d pick something that is “considered” great, because there will be a reason it’s great. And I’d also stick to a SAM game with good rules. Set it up just a bit mean so it doesn’t give away the wizard mode.

Second, a classic. Again, this is a preference. But a Bally, or classic Stern, or a Gottlieb EM. Whatever you like. but make it simple, and fairly quick playing.

Modern Stern games have great rules, and lots of different objectives to stay interesting. They can be a quest, but that makes them a bit more difficult for competitions. Whereas the classics are great to compete on because everyone stays interested. Short ball times keep it that way. So with a pair like that, you will have pinball for different situations and moods.

#59 3 years ago

If only $6700 and two machines I would try and get a STTNG and a DE JP-it would take some hunting but I do think it is possible. 1993 was a magical year.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I loved Doctor Who and Johnny Mnemonic. DW kicked my tail all the time and JM was super fast and the power down mode was the coolest. I sold them both when I got divorced years ago. I’d love to have them both back one day

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

1 Stern. 1 classic.
    First, the modern Stern. That’s going to be the big portion of your budget. Personally I’d pick the Pro model of your choice. I’d pick something that is “considered” great, because there will be a reason it’s great. And I’d also stick to a SAM game with good rules. Set it up just a bit mean so it doesn’t give away the wizard mode.
    Second, a classic. Again, this is a preference. But a Bally, or classic Stern, or a Gottlieb EM. Whatever you like. but make it simple, and fairly quick playing.
    Modern Stern games have great rules, and lots of different objectives to stay interesting. They can be a quest, but that makes them a bit more difficult for competitions. Whereas the classics are great to compete on because everyone stays interested. Short ball times keep it that way. So with a pair like that, you will have pinball for different situations and moods.

This. For a while I had SM and Gorgar as a pair and they complemented each other great. You probably can get them for less than $6700... and then have money left over to ColorDmd the SM.

#62 3 years ago

Based on my taste or your taste?

Jurassic Park Pro + Sorcerer
    OR
    WCS '94 + Demo Man

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Based on my taste or your taste?

Your taste. I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone would get. It's fun to see what people like, and it gives me some ideas that I maybe hadn't considered.

#64 3 years ago

I would go with a Stern (SAM) and a System 11 or two Williams/Bally WPCs or one WPC and one System 11.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Your taste. I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone would get. It's fun to see what people like, and it gives me some ideas that I maybe hadn't considered.

Jurassic Park Pro + Sorcerer
    OR
    WCS '94 + Demo Man

#66 3 years ago

You're going to have a tough time if you set out to simply get two specific titles. I suggest finding the best deals in your area and starting there. If you have two games, you're probably going to get sick of them at some point, and you can move them and continue building your empire, or have some money to throw in your Roth IRA.

#67 3 years ago

I am sort of going down this route, starting with a new Star Trek Pro, and am currently keeping a semi-serious eye out for a local F-14 Tomcat to complement it. Buying the ST used would keep that combo under 6700.

If I were to look for two games of closer to equal value, I have played and enjoyed No Fear and Fish Tales right next to each other at a bar in Arizona. Those are both in the 3K+ range.

Of course you have to do you, but I think it's certainly possible to have a combo you would enjoy for that budget.

#68 3 years ago

I love threads like these. I would do JP pro/maiden Pro with Space Shuttle/Space Station. One of these combos.

#69 3 years ago

Taxi and Diner.

#70 3 years ago

Big Game
    Game of Thrones Prem

#71 3 years ago

I like my current lineup of TNA and Alien Star, could probably get for around that if you can find an AS.

#72 3 years ago

Fish Tales & Jack*Bot Should make a good couple and fits your budget....but if you want a newer Stern STpro/ASpro & Mousin’ Around!

#73 3 years ago

Stern Star Trek Pro and Flight 2000, might even be able to get an EM too.

#74 3 years ago

If I’m calling out specific titles Star Trek should be one ( stern or Williams ) . Almost anything else you fill in with will keep you happy for a mo

#75 3 years ago

The Shadow and HSII (or Fish Tales)

#76 3 years ago

Whirlwind and The Getaway. $3500 for WW and $3200 for TGHS2. Great lineup

#77 3 years ago

Shadow and Whitewater

#78 3 years ago

TSPP and Ripley’s. But if I had it all to do over again I’d build one nice virtual pin machine and stash the rest in the bank. I get tired of playing the same games over and over.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shadow and Whitewater

$9k

Quoted from Darkwing:

TSPP and Ripley’s. But if I had it all to do over again I’d build one nice virtual pin machine and stash the rest in the bank. I get tired of playing the same games over and over.

$9k+

Bunch of enablers around here.

#80 3 years ago

$6700?
    That would be a Shadow and a Whirlwind (according to average value on Pinside)
    2 very different, challenging and fast games!

20200715_104359_HDR (resized).jpg20200715_104359_HDR (resized).jpg
    #81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

DR Who is an extremely under appreciated game. The ramp shots, sonic booms, expander toy, the callouts, and the classic video are all really cool for the money. I can see why some do not like the music. I tried a pin sound board ,but, the community selections did not work for me. Improved the music but lost the callouts, so back to original sound board for me.

I500 is the most under valued B/W DMD. it has it great shots/ramps, callouts, sounds, a tough video game, timed shots (Pit stop), a variety of different modes and as it should be, its fast.

So for 6700 , you should also be able to get a DR Who and a I500. Both should be nice examples. Maybe even with color DMD's which make a Hugh difference on these titles.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

BSD & Whirlwind
    or
    SM and Taxi

Beat me to BSD and Whirlwind!

#83 3 years ago

A lotta pipe dreams in here. I WISH I could get some of these games for the price you guys think we can get them for.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

A lotta pipe dreams in here. I WISH I could get some of these games for the price you guys think we can get them for.

OP: what two games can I get for $12.50?

Pinside: JJP POTC and MM Royal Edition

#85 3 years ago

I would suggest this combination: (WPT or WoF) + (Doctor Who or BSD)

#86 3 years ago

Star Trek: Next Gen. I have had lots of pins over the years and its the only one I miss. As far as second pin for ~2200....? I would save up for a White Water if I didnt have one already.

IMG_0812 (resized).JPGIMG_0812 (resized).JPG
    #87 3 years ago

I don't chase any individual games, so I'd go with two of whatever turns up in your area between the following: The Shadow, Fish Tales, Bram Sroker's Dracuala, The Getaway: High Speed II, Judge Dredd, World Cup Soccer, Indianapolis 500, Road Show, Black Rose, Johnny Mnemonic, Demolition Man, Doctor Who, Dirty Harry, NBA Fastbreak, Jurassic Park (DE), Tales from the Crypt, Batman Forever, Baywatch, Diner, Mousin Around, Taxi, Pinbot, High Speed, Cyclone, Swords of Fury, etc.

#88 3 years ago

I'd buy a fun EM project, fix it up, and go shopping with whatever money is left. I'm partial to Superflite, Pit Stop and Spanish Eyes. That should leave enough money in your bank account to buy a pro new in box if you desire. Or just fill your house with awesome EM games.

If you want to split the cash more evenly, I'd probably do Stargate and something Steve Ritchie. No Fear? That leaves some money for upgrades.

#89 3 years ago

Judge Dredd. 4 flippers, can start as multiball (2) if using “supergame”. Gives up to 5 balls at once, pretty deep rule set that is easy enough to learn if you watch the display (add $300 for color DMD upgrade) ~$3300.

Funhouse 3 flippers/simple rule set, talking head (tough to find at $3400, but has been done before). Vs.
    Haunted house (has like 7 flippers and 3-level playfield (repairs probably become an issue though for either one.

Other good advice might be to drop all $6700 on a nearly new /pre-owned game if repairs aren’t something you want to deal with. Games from 1990s are awesome to play, but the electronics/boards and basically everything else can get fussy after 30 yrs of (in many cases) being left on 24/7 for a number of years. All my fames are from the 90’s, and at least one is always needing A minor repair or is under some sort of mod/upgrade/renovation.
    Happy hunting.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

1 Stern. 1 classic.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a little out of touch of US prices, but personally I'd go:

Quicksilver/Whirlwind as the older title, and a Johnny Mnemonic/Shadow/World Cup Soccer as the newer title.

#91 3 years ago

Buy a IM pro n save for second

#92 3 years ago

Earthshaker and Whirlwind. You will have money left for new speakers, new LED’s and Titan rubbers.

#93 3 years ago

Judge Dredd and NBA FB for the win!

#94 3 years ago

The Shadow and Dracula.

Star Trek (Stern)/Walking Dead + Pinbot/High Speed.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Actually, I’d get a non comic SW pro and save more bucks for a nicer Meteor

Welp, I got my SW Comic Pro today! So one pin down, one to go. I got such a good deal on my SW, that I have enough leftover that I might actually try to snag something else instead of a Meteor. I'm thinking a Pinbot would go nice as a space theme, and as a change of pace from the speed of SW. But then again Dungeons & Dragons has recently taken my fancy. So we'll see.

-------------------------------

I've been enjoying reading everyone's ideas BTW. Very fun to see what people would get for the money.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Dungeons & Dragons has recently taken my fancy.

Have you played it? I’ve only played at shows and love the theme, but it’s an odd one.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Have you played it? I’ve only played at shows and love the theme, but it’s an odd one.

No, but I've watched quite a few streams, and it seems like it would fit my style. I have played Hardbody though, which also has those same in/outlane flipper-save things. And I like those quite a bit. A lot like magna-saves, and they force you to keep your brain engaged.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Welp, I got my SW Comic Pro today! So one pin down, one to go. I got such a good deal on my SW, that I have enough leftover that I might actually try to snag something else instead of a Meteor. I'm thinking a Pinbot would go nice as a space theme, and as a change of pace from the speed of SW. But then again Dungeons & Dragons has recently taken my fancy. So we'll see.
    -------------------------------
    I've been enjoying reading everyone's ideas BTW. Very fun to see what people would get for the money.

I’d really think hard about a Pinbot over a Meteor. They are both good pins, but I think Meteor is more fun to play. A buddy of mine had a JP2, SW, MMr and a Meteor and the Meteor gets played the second most next to MMr. I always gravitate towards it as well.

#99 3 years ago

2 NGG's.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-ve-got-6700-to-spend-what-do-you-buy/page/2?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.