(Topic ID: 270066)

You receive a text from unk. # asking if it is you. ????

By LukyDuck

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

““How would you respond to the text?””

• I would ignore the text. 67 votes
      74%
    • I would reply to the text with YES. 1 vote
      1%
    • I would reply to the text with NO. 1 vote
      1%
    • I would ask if THEY are trying to REPAY a debt they owe. 4 votes
      4%
    • I would ask if THEY are trying to COLLECT a debt I owe. 0 votes
    • I would ask "I don't know. Who is asking?" 13 votes
      14%
    • Other response - see my post below 4 votes
      4%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73330137-920D-4304-94BE-BDF761720B30 (resized).jpeg
    3EACEE17-6772-44B1-8D97-684378EBED4A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Call the number from another phone.

You could call them back from the same phone with *67. (Caller ID Block) You'll probably just get a recording that the call can't be completed anyway.

I've been using Google's anti-spam voice screening service, where you can send calls that you suspect might be spam to a sort of answering machine.

The caller gets told "Hi, the person you've reached is using a screening service from Google, and will get a transcript of this call. Go ahead and say why you're calling." Then whatever they say, Google attempts to translate voice-to-text in real time as you watch, allowing you to decide whether to answer after all.

It's not ideal. The way they word it, I don't know if a non-spam caller will realize that what they say gets displayed, and that you might pick up depending what they say.

In practice, only once has someone calling me complied, and it turned out to be someone I did want to talk to. Other times, it's fun to watch Google caption robocalls. Usually the spammers just hang up; I expect the predictive dialers (evil!) have started recognizing Google's spiel immediately by now.

Still, I may decide to go all in and opt in to letting them intercept all numbers that others have marked as spam for the same treatment. Then my phone won't even ring if they just hang up. I presume if a robo-call rambles on it will assume a hang up is in order then as well. Not sure, but I guess it displays what they say when your phone then rings. I would turn it on and test that, but it wouldn't think my other number was spam.

Why relate all this when OP was talking about texts? Well, now I wish they would do something similar for texts! Never used to get spam texts, now I get them all the time, and many seem to think my name is Herd, of all things!

#36 3 years ago

Yeah, I love when I answer "Hello?" and it's a dead line, then suddenly the background noise from a busy phone center cuts in and some jackass says "Hello?"

Sometimes I'll say, "No, that isn't how it works. You call me, I say Hello, then you say something besides Hello. Goodbye!"

Effing predictive dialers, damned things should be outlawed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-receive-a-text-from-unk-asking-if-it-is-you-?tu=danqverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.