(Topic ID: 270066)

You receive a text from unk. # asking if it is you. ????

By LukyDuck

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zitt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

““How would you respond to the text?””

• I would ignore the text. 67 votes
      74%
    • I would reply to the text with YES. 1 vote
      1%
    • I would reply to the text with NO. 1 vote
      1%
    • I would ask if THEY are trying to REPAY a debt they owe. 4 votes
      4%
    • I would ask if THEY are trying to COLLECT a debt I owe. 0 votes
    • I would ask "I don't know. Who is asking?" 13 votes
      14%
    • Other response - see my post below 4 votes
      4%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73330137-920D-4304-94BE-BDF761720B30 (resized).jpeg
    3EACEE17-6772-44B1-8D97-684378EBED4A (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

So, I thought I would post this and see what other people would do in this situation.

I received a text on my phone from an unknown phone number. The test was short and simple..."Is this John?". John is not my name, I just made it up for this example. They used my real first name.

What would you do?

NOTE-I have had this particular phone number for 15-20 years.

#2 3 years ago

Ignore it.

Unless I had a throw away phone, then I'd text back and ask if I could send them some money.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Usually ignore, particularly if they get my name wrong and I don't recognize the number. If they persist I block them.

#4 3 years ago

Here's a (somewhat related) PSA:

I've been getting sales calls asking for wildly incorrect names and the reason is absolutely insidious. If a salesman calls you and you're on the Do Not Call registry they could get in trouble with the FCC, but if they call a wrong number it's just a mistake, they can't be held accountable.

So I answer in my deep baritone and when they ask to speak to "Bridget" I tell them it's a wrong number. Then they say "Oh, sorry! Hey, while I have you, I'd like to share a special offer..."

It's an on-purpose accident and it's pure evil. I've started saying "Yes, this is Bridget." It doesn't solve the problem, but it knocks them off balance for a minute.

#5 3 years ago

Ignore and block.

#6 3 years ago

Do not reply and block the number

#7 3 years ago

Call the number from another phone.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

I like this idea! Thanks

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

You receive a text from an unknown phone number, asking if it's you. What would you do?

I would be shocked that they were able to send me a text! (Since I've never owned a cell phone.)

#12 3 years ago
    #13 3 years ago

Ignore it.

Even replying with "who's asking" is kind of a confirmation.

You don't know if they're trying to phish for information, run a scam, or whatever else, so it's usually best not to respond.

If I have time, I might do a quick check on the number to see if it's coming from a legitimate cell carrier, and if it appears in any past correspondence.

They're contacting you--it's on them to identify who they are and the reason why they are contacting you.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ignore it.
    Even replying with "who's asking" is kind of a confirmation.
    You don't know if they're trying to phish for information, run a scam, or whatever else, so it's usually best not to respond.
    If I have time, I might do a quick check on the number to see if it's coming from a legitimate cell carrier, and if it appears in any past correspondence.
    They're contacting you--it's on them to identify who they are and the reason why they are contacting you.

I agree with your comments. It does come across as phishing. (Technically I guess it is phishing no matter who it is.)

Did an online search and did not come up with anything concrete on who it might be.

I agree with your final statement also. If it is someone I have met or know, I would expect them to give their name or how I might now them.

My only thoughts are, IF it is a past GF, she might be phishing to see if I still have my phone number and does not want to reveal herself until she knows it is actually me. If she gives her name up early and I do not want to communicate with her, she knows I will just ignore her (i.e. no foot in the door so to speak).

#15 3 years ago

My rule for texts, IMs, and pretty much any sort of not-in-person communication these days: The person starting the conversation has the burden of saying enough to let the other person decide whether to continue the conversation. If you don't say who you are and what it is you want to communicate about, you shouldn't expect the other person to ask.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from KickahaOta:

My rule for texts, IMs, and pretty much any sort of not-in-person communication these days: The person starting the conversation has the burden of saying enough to let the other person decide whether to continue the conversation. If you don't say who you are and what it is you want to communicate about, you shouldn't expect the other person to ask.

Agreed

#17 3 years ago

Don't call the number back - its' usually a spoofed number. Several months ago, I got a call where the phone number was from the wife's phone - only problem was she was sitting next to me, and was not on the phone. I didn't answer that call.

#18 3 years ago

Unk...unk...there’s no name on this grave!!!

#19 3 years ago

Whats a text?

John

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Unk...unk...there’s no name on this grave!!!

There's no name here either, you see thats what Bill Carson told me........

John

#21 3 years ago

Brown eye photo.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

My only thoughts are, IF it is a past GF, she might be phishing to see if I still have my phone number and does not want to reveal herself until she knows it is actually me. If she gives her name up early and I do not want to communicate with her, she knows I will just ignore her (i.e. no foot in the door so to speak).

Has this happened to you ever in the past? The more logical explanation of phishing sounds "a little" more reasonable.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

Has this happened to you ever in the past? The more logical explanation of phishing sounds "a little" more reasonable.

Not that I can recall. I thought it would be funny to see what other pinsiders would do. That’s why I posted the question. Normally, I would not respond. Just like I never answer if your name does not appear in my contacts. I get way too many spam calls anymore. They come in waves. I just let them go to voice mail.

#24 3 years ago

Probably an ex looking for child support.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

yeah but if his Exs are this crazy, they're probably super hot...so he's gotta keep his options open!

#26 3 years ago

I've been on the other side of this equation but like TheLaw says I always send a dick pic so they know who is asking

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

You could call them back from the same phone with *67. (Caller ID Block) You'll probably just get a recording that the call can't be completed anyway.

I've been using Google's anti-spam voice screening service, where you can send calls that you suspect might be spam to a sort of answering machine.

The caller gets told "Hi, the person you've reached is using a screening service from Google, and will get a transcript of this call. Go ahead and say why you're calling." Then whatever they say, Google attempts to translate voice-to-text in real time as you watch, allowing you to decide whether to answer after all.

It's not ideal. The way they word it, I don't know if a non-spam caller will realize that what they say gets displayed, and that you might pick up depending what they say.

In practice, only once has someone calling me complied, and it turned out to be someone I did want to talk to. Other times, it's fun to watch Google caption robocalls. Usually the spammers just hang up; I expect the predictive dialers (evil!) have started recognizing Google's spiel immediately by now.

Still, I may decide to go all in and opt in to letting them intercept all numbers that others have marked as spam for the same treatment. Then my phone won't even ring if they just hang up. I presume if a robo-call rambles on it will assume a hang up is in order then as well. Not sure, but I guess it displays what they say when your phone then rings. I would turn it on and test that, but it wouldn't think my other number was spam.

Why relate all this when OP was talking about texts? Well, now I wish they would do something similar for texts! Never used to get spam texts, now I get them all the time, and many seem to think my name is Herd, of all things!

#28 3 years ago

Another version of this scam is "Who is this?"

#29 3 years ago

Or go with the classic, "new phone, who dis"?

If you're lucky (or not) it might even be an ex.

If you're even luckier (or not) it might be from an ex you'd expect to hear from every so often number of months.

Not that I'd know anything about that.

#30 3 years ago

It could be a version of the telephone scam where they ask "Can you hear me" or "Is you name XYZ", then when you say "Yes" they have you recorded which is then used as you opting in/authorising some purchase or other crap.

The text could be a similar version of the scam, they have a text from your number confirming "Yes" for something you never really agreed to.

#31 3 years ago

I like the ones where they claim to be realestate agents representing a buyer looking to buy your home.... when my home isn't even in the same area code. I just report them as spam and block the number. I don't even reply.

#32 3 years ago

My Cell is locatable with google so I get a lot

I respond to any unknown text with “new phone who dis”

It’s simple funny and I know right away if it’s serious or not without having any risk professionally or personally (minus malcrafted ...)

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I like the ones where they claim to be realestate agents representing a buyer looking to buy your home.... when my home isn't even in the same area code. I just report them as spam and block the number. I don't even reply.

I get these pretty often with people asking to buy my house.

73330137-920D-4304-94BE-BDF761720B30 (resized).jpeg73330137-920D-4304-94BE-BDF761720B30 (resized).jpeg3EACEE17-6772-44B1-8D97-684378EBED4A (resized).jpeg3EACEE17-6772-44B1-8D97-684378EBED4A (resized).jpeg
    #34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I get these pretty often with people asking to buy my house.

You spend more effort than I would...
    I'm actually wondering out loud now if telling them you can't sell the properties because of all the bodies hidden.
    But that again would probably be a waste of time.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Don't call the number back - its' usually a spoofed number. Several months ago, I got a call where the phone number was from the wife's phone - only problem was she was sitting next to me, and was not on the phone. I didn't answer that call.

I started getting the spoofed numbers in 2016. The first one I called back guy denied it. Sent him a picture of time date stamp with his number. I wrote it off as some gov fun but know now. I generally wait to say hello about 3 seconds if I think it maybe a spoof robocall, that way the program thinks it is a dead line.

#36 3 years ago

Yeah, I love when I answer "Hello?" and it's a dead line, then suddenly the background noise from a busy phone center cuts in and some jackass says "Hello?"

Sometimes I'll say, "No, that isn't how it works. You call me, I say Hello, then you say something besides Hello. Goodbye!"

Effing predictive dialers, damned things should be outlawed.

#37 3 years ago

new phone, who dis?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I'm actually wondering out loud now if telling them you can't sell the properties because of all the bodies hidden.

Got me to thinking. What if sheriffs show up with warrants and start digging ?

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Meh... if you don't have bodies; it's there no problem.
    I'd think they'd do a ground penetrating radar first...
    Agreed, this probably isn't a good idea... more likely just a stoopid move that the "real estate" agent would ignore.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like beginning of an in ground swimming pool!

#41 3 years ago

This one is tough for me because I use my phone for business. I need to answer every call because it could be a potential new bar referred to me, someone looking for a pinball, or best case situation is some old customer who I sold a theatre of magic to back in 98 and just wants what she paid.(this one happen last year and I got it for 3k.) But I do get a fair amount of government agents who speak broken english, numerous opportunities to renew car insurance on a car I haven't owned in 15 years, and of course better health care coverage for half of what I pay.

#42 3 years ago

I love messing with the tele-marketers.

I had one a couple of days ago who wanted to sell me burial insurance.

Told her "No, I'm sorry, but I've already been cremated."
    She said, "oh, umm...ok...sorry...bye."

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Sounds like beginning of an in ground swimming pool!

That's an _old_ joke. One version, from the Baltimore Sun in 2009:

An old Italian lived alone in New Jersey. He wanted to plant his annual tomato garden, but it was very difficult work, as the ground was hard.

His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:

Dear Vincent,

I am feeling pretty sad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days.

Love, Papa

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Pop,

Don't dig up that garden. That's where the bodies are buried.

Love,

Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Pop,

Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love you,

Vinnie

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

There are a couple of things wrong with this story... Maybe I'm naive... but; The fact that the FBI show up with no evidence and didn't find any... doesn't that mean they are responsible for restoring the yard back to it's glory?

I can say that I'd be livid if they told me "sorry" and left.
    I guess; I'm reading too much into this joke... the fact that the ground was back-breaking-hard would mean that afterward; it'd be a lot easier to till/plant in.

I know someone here has first hand knowledge if a story in a similar vein is possible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-receive-a-text-from-unk-asking-if-it-is-you-?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.