• 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by finman2000
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37CA565F-D133-409A-B5DB-645C785D9766 (resized).png

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

LW3 the second time.

The first time I bought it was in 2003, 14 years before I bought it a second time. I was brand-spanking new to owning a pinball machine. I didn't even know where the power toggle switch was when I bought it and thought it was broken. I sold it to get the downpayment I needed to buy the DeLorean.

After 14 years and being 20+ games in the hobby, I wanted to bring it home a second time as it was "my first", and I remembered "how hard" it was - knowing my skill level had changed quite a bit since then. I blew right through the game's wizard mode the first night I had it, and I sold it in, what was for me, a record 10 days of ownership.

If I am ever in debt, I mean, rich enough to have a vacation home, LW3 would be the kind of game I'd put there to just play ONLY when I go there. This is all BSD's fault.....

#52 5 years ago

When I was new to pinball I played Tommy at 8-Bit in Cincinnati a few times and loved it. Found one locally right away but it got old fast. It does have a legit skill shot though.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I think a lot of people had that feeling with MM. think the guy you sold it to had regrets too

And the guy he sold it to

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Have you ever played a game, bought it, and wish you hadn’t shorty after?
I had this experience with SM. I played it a dozen times in location and thought it was great. Not long after I got it home, I knew it was a mistake. The initial thrill of defeating the villains turned into a grind.
I recently bought a WPT and noticed a lot of people sell that game after owning it for a short amount of time. It made me wonder if they had a similar experience or if they bought the game with hopes for something different than it is.

So are you selling it?

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Xmen LE NIB - those who remember, no more needs to be said!

I would like more information... Please....?

#56 5 years ago

Rob Zombie. Wanted to support Spooky and the Artwork is so good.. the game.. not so much.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I can't speak for Pirates but Hobbit got old fast. I've never seen a game on location get less plays after a month. It's just relentlessly grindy and all 956,074 modes are some variation of shoot the drop targets or shoot the troll things we stole from Medieval Madness. Maybe if troll modes are your favorite part of Medieval Madness, but you felt what was really holding the game back was it just didn't quite have *enough* troll action, Hobbit is for you. And I'm not a Jersey Jack hater. I think Dialed In is one of the best games of the last decade. Woz is fine and I've only played two games on the prototype Pirates, but I liked what I saw.

Try it again with the new code. This was one of my criticisms of the game, which I sold... and recently got back. Version 2.95 makes it an entirely different game.. “grindy” was a good way to describe it.. not any more. That game is fun as hell now. It’s not Getaway, but it’s supposed to be more like an RPG

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Xmen LE NIB - those who remember, no more needs to be said!

I agree, but it doesn't really apply to me since I did not play it before buying it.

I500 is a pin I really liked playing...until I bought one.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

So are you selling it?

I’m not sure what you mean. I sold SM already. So far I’m really enjoying WPT.

#60 5 years ago

The Hobbit - never care to play it again

TNA - good game but I’ll buy it if the prices go down the the low 5’s

Iron Maiden- fun game, awesome shooter, I can’t get over the music

#61 5 years ago

RZ - Loved the theme, music and for the most part the art. Played it at a show and liked it enough to stay on board. Bought NIB and had it for a year before selling. Buggy code and poorly designed layout. At the end I almost wanted to shove it out the door and set it on fire I hated it so much.

I have PTSD from the whole experience. So much so I almost left the hobby.

#62 5 years ago

Transformers LE = What was i thinking?
POTC = stop and go, guests liked it though for the theme i guess
TSPP = bought and tried to like it 3 times, stop and go killed it
Hook = sound effects killed it

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Try it again with the new code. This was one of my criticisms of the game, which I sold... and recently got back. Version 2.95 makes it an entirely different game.. “grindy” was a good way to describe it.. not any more. That game is fun as hell now. It’s not Getaway, but it’s supposed to be more like an RPG

Unfortunately there aren't any Hobbits close to me anymore. There are five Dialed In in a twenty minute drive. I'm willing to give it another shot, but I just wasn't fond of the layout. The center is completely bare except for the "trolls", the ramps are super easy to hit with great flippers and nearly impossible with weak ones, really the only satisfying shots were the orbits. Not to mention the troll pop-ups were constantly broken.

I'll definitely give it a shot the next time I'm an hour south or 45 minutes north of Seattle, but it was so, so terrible for the first year it was out that my opinion is likely forever spoiled.

It might have more potential as a home game. I know the ruleset is deep as hell, even if the individual modes to navigate it were either "kill the trolls" or some variation of "blinking drop target sniper".

#64 5 years ago

I think SoF is that game for me. Though, regret might be a bit strong. I thought when I bought it, that it would probably be my annual MGC sale pin with the potential of being a keeper. I’m feeling it less than I thought I would and it’s definitely going to be heading out the door.

#65 5 years ago

Houdini

#66 5 years ago

I don't worry about what I buy cause I know I can sell it whenever I want if I price it fairly.

I've been in the hobby for seventeen years and have grown tired of every game I've owned over time. Some games stayed six months, some five years. I've only had 1 - 3 games at a time.

WPT stayed five years and I enjoyed it even when it was unloved by a lot of people. I'm glad you like yours.

Buy what you want (try not to overpay too much) then sell when you want (and likely make most of your money back) and don't worry about things.

Good luck and have fun. Unless you have a hoarder mentality, it's pretty easy to buy/sell games so you can try out different ones and not run out of space or money.

#67 5 years ago
37CA565F-D133-409A-B5DB-645C785D9766 (resized).png37CA565F-D133-409A-B5DB-645C785D9766 (resized).png
#68 5 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I don't worry about what I buy cause I know I can sell it whenever I want if I price it fairly.
I've been in the hobby for seventeen years and have grown tired of every game I've owned over time. Some games stayed six months, some five years. I've only had 1 - 3 games at a time.
WPT stayed five years and I enjoyed it even when it was unloved by a lot of people. I'm glad you like yours.
Buy what you want (try not to overpay too much) then sell when you want (and likely make most of your money back) and don't worry about things.
Good luck and have fun. Unless you have a hoarder mentality, it's pretty easy to buy/sell games so you can try out different ones and not run out of space or money.

Does this still hold true for those of us getting in the hobby now? I just have a good feeling if I drop 8k on a Twilight Zone, the price is tanking in 2 years.

From what I've been able to gather, everything's way overpriced right now.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Quoted from FalconPunch:
Roadshow.
Was only one game away from not liking it.
I managed to avoid that game early on. Never had to regret buying it.

Roadshow is a fantastic game. What killed it for me is its just too damn linear.

#70 5 years ago

Popeye for me. Great theme, iconic character, horrible game.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Does this still hold true for those of us getting in the hobby now? I just have a good feeling if I drop 8k on a Twilight Zone, the price is tanking in 2 years.
From what I've been able to gather, everything's way overpriced right now.

I don't know what the future holds. In 2001, I bought Scared Stiff (it was only five years old) in like-new condition for $2900 (passed on a mint CV for $2700...lol). Sold it in 2006 for a bit more than that. TZ in 2004 (great condition) for $2400 and sold in 2006 for $2600. IM NIB in 2011 for $4200 delivered. Traded in 2012 for beautiful HUO TSPP. The list goes on but prices have been rising and the 1990s Bally / Williams are 25 years old and big bucks which seems crazy to me.

So maybe future prices fall and maybe they rise. Who knows? But if you buy a game now then sell within a few years, I don't think you'll take a huge loss, assuming you didn't overpay.

#72 5 years ago

Buyers remorse. It happens. Have fun with it while you have it and then move on to something else.

#73 5 years ago

Jurassic Park. Even Pinsound by Endprodukt couldn't save it for me (although he did a fantastic job). Fast, brutal, and hated the power shed shot.

#74 5 years ago

Theatre of Magic

Maybe it would've been more suited if I had a deeper collection...but I grew tired of playing it after awhile. The music and the callouts became grating after awhile. Thought it was a fantastic game when I used to play it on location back in the late 90's and enjoyed it for a couple of months in my game room. I realized after awhile that it wasn't a game that probably wasn't suited for home use. It was the first machine that left my game room.

#75 5 years ago

I haven't fully experienced buyer's remorse, but here is a list of games I've avoided because I think I would feel the burn:

1. TAF - Great game to learn on, but redundant and easy to complete.
2. AFM - Great game, but I find it easy and pretty shallow. Funny as hell though.
3. MM - Castles are cool, but centre bash is never fun to me.
4. MET - Same as above, minus the castle
5. FH - Shallow
6. BoPB - Shallow
7. All modern sterns with fan layout. IM as the one exception.
8. CFBL - Shallow
9. ToM - Shallow
10. MB - Too easy

That being said, I just picked up a Capcom Pinball Magic, which is very linear. So far I'm loving it, but time will tell.

#76 5 years ago

I agree about Hobbit. I really didn't like it at all on location. Trolls are just enough on MM. They seem too featured on Hobbit. But, the new code really does make the game much better. I had an opportunity to trade a game I was bored of for a NIB Hobbit plus cash. So far, after about 30 games, I'm happy with it. Crank the back legs all the way up so it's not floaty, and keep the extra balls at a minimum. It's very hard to complete all the 5 stones to get to each mini wizard mode. Forget actually completing the 30 modes, I'm lucky to start 10 and finish 6 or 8. But that's me. Definitely an RPG type adventure, designed to be long-playing. But, not really the "grind" that it was before code was complete. Depends if you enjoy long, story-mode games, or short, punishing games. It's definitely not Tron. I have those 2 pins next to each other, and they are great complimentary games. I loved MET, but was ready to move on after 100 games.

#77 5 years ago

The only pin I was glad to see the back of was Hot Hand. Funny thing is, I sold it to my neighbors over 10 years ago and they still love it, and it’s their only pin. It’s cool to see that kind of devotion to a game.

#78 5 years ago

Twister

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I don't know what the future holds. In 2001, I bought Scared Stiff (it was only five years old) in like-new condition for $2900 (passed on a mint CV for $2700...lol). Sold it in 2006 for a bit more than that. TZ in 2004 (great condition) for $2400 and sold in 2006 for $2600. IM NIB in 2011 for $4200 delivered. Traded in 2012 for beautiful HUO TSPP. The list goes on but prices have been rising and the 1990s Bally / Williams are 25 years old and big bucks which seems crazy to me.
So maybe future prices fall and maybe they rise. Who knows? But if you buy a game now then sell within a few years, I don't think you'll take a huge loss, assuming you didn't overpay.

I agree. Prices do seem quite a bit higher than even 5-6 years ago, when I was looking around for my first pin. I considered a nice, clean Funhouse for $2,900, and POTC was about $4,000 in perfect cond. Several pins like TAF, CV, TOTAN, Tron, and MB are often $8,000 or more. That could remain, or it could be a product of the strong rebound economy since 2008 crash. Will pins routinely be $10,000 soon? I agree though, if you research the market archives, and keep your buy/trade target within reason, you can break even pretty easily it seems. Especially if you take time to improve your pins.

#80 5 years ago

I wanted a MM for years, started back when it was still on location. Finally decided to buy a MMr when they hit the market. I enjoyed it for maybe a month, and decided it had to go. Too shallow, and other deeper games in my collection made me dislike it even more.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 21.95
2,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
8,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-played-it-and-loved-it-you-bought-it-and-regret-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.