• 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by finman2000
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37CA565F-D133-409A-B5DB-645C785D9766 (resized).png

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Have you ever played a game, bought it, and wish you hadn’t shorty after?

I had this experience with SM. I played it a dozen times in location and thought it was great. Not long after I got it home, I knew it was a mistake. The initial thrill of defeating the villains turned into a grind.
I recently bought a WPT and noticed a lot of people sell that game after owning it for a short amount of time. It made me wonder if they had a similar experience or if they bought the game with hopes for something different than it is.

#2 5 years ago

Not quite 'wish I hadnt', but after playing game of thrones tons elsewhere and loving it, I'm not sure it survived a month on my collection.

#3 5 years ago

Junkyard. Played it, loved the video modes, nice open playfield. Once I got it home, it was like "meh" after a week.

#4 5 years ago

Played Johnny Mnemonic and really liked it, especially for the price. Got it home and experienced how slow the glove mode was and how it killed flow. I could not get rid of that game fast enough.

#5 5 years ago

Only game I bought that fit that description was NBA Fastbreak.
Really thought I'd love it, but ended up not liking it at all.

A lot of games I've owned were opportunity games that I knew when I bought them I wouldn't keep for long.
Johnny Mnemonic
The Shadow
Demolition Man
No Fear
DE Batman

#6 5 years ago

The Addams Family.

I had played it quite a bit out on route, and just knew it would fit perfect within my collection at the time. Brought it home, and found out I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Ended up selling it a month later.

The great thing about this hobby is it's pretty easy to sell a game for near what you purchased it for.

#7 5 years ago

Lord of the rings played it in tournaments and location a lot and loved it. Once i owned the game it got kinda boring even with extra balls off every game seems to take an hour on it. But I can't sell the game because it's my mom's favorite game.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

The Addams Family.
I had played it quite a bit out on route, and just knew it would fit perfect within my collection at the time. Brought it home, and found out I really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Ended up selling it a month later.
The great thing about this hobby is it's pretty easy to sell a game for near what you purchased it for.

Surprising! I love this damn game - but it was also my first, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Would I love to own it again? Heck yes. Would I pay the currently (IMO) insane $7k prices? HELL NO.

I've bought a lot of games based on recommendations, less so after playing on location - I'd say WOZ, LOTR and Williams Indy. LOTR I just never loved. Indy I just didnt' click with, and I am still not sure why. WOZ was visually amazing but I was just not a good enough player to appreciate it. I will try again!

#9 5 years ago

Black Rose
Diner
LW3
Party Zone
Ice Fever

They all felt so-so to me. Nothing fantastic for certain.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Lord of the rings played it in tournaments and location a lot and loved it. Once i owned the game it got kinda boring even with extra balls off every game seems to take an hour on it. But I can't sell the game because it's my mom's favorite game.

LOTR is another game I thought I would really like, based on the stellar reviews and the theme. I think it’s fine, just not very fun. Glad I never bought one.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Not really. Sometimes I kick myself for not noticing an issue on the game before buying, though.

I'll sometimes get tired of a game and sell it later, though. Happens to all of us.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

LOTR is another game I thought I would really like, based on the stellar reviews and the theme. I think it’s fine, just not very fun. Glad I never bought one.

I enjoy it, but it's not for everyone. It depends upon the types of games you like.

#13 5 years ago

Xmen LE NIB - those who remember, no more needs to be said!

#14 5 years ago

Felt that way about Black Jack. Love early Ballys and enjoyed playing it once at PAPA, but it was super boring once I owned it - it has 2 shots, spinner and saucer, nothing else is worth shooting.

#15 5 years ago

Roadshow.
Was only one game away from not liking it.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Roadshow.
Was only one game away from not liking it.

I managed to avoid that game early on. Never had to regret buying it.

#17 5 years ago

Yep RS, LOTR, TAF, IJ, WOZ, Hobbit, they were fun for awhile but then out the door!

#18 5 years ago

BM66 and METLE

Although it wasn't so much regret as it was "get these things out of here!"

#19 5 years ago

Nice collection! I have a few machines that I cant sell due to family members as well. Haha

Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

#20 5 years ago

Dialed In.

#21 5 years ago

NIB GOTLE.

#22 5 years ago

TAF, TZ, TFTC, NGG
and not pinball; NeoGeo 161in1

TAF; love the pin, greed locking and the perfect multiball start + feel the force, but the rest is "meh" + way to much money

TZ; need to have one, sold it 3 weeks later. To much stop and go, not "feeling" the game.

TFTC; "chopchopchop" sound, turned of the volume after 4-5 games. I think if it had another sound package and MB/AFM/MB kind art, it would have stayed

NGG; hyped about it with YouTube vids, but cmon, rlly...

NeoGeo 161in1; what's the point of button bashing on free play for 3 hours...

#23 5 years ago

The one that comes closest to this for me is Transformers. Played it on route off and on and really thought it was challenging and fun. I thought getting to Battle for Cybertron would hold my interest and I couldn't have been more wrong. I bought one and I was bored with it within 2 weeks, had it sold within 3 weeks. I sold a game I really liked to buy it too, which made it even more unfortunate. Only saving grace was that I didn't pay anything for it, so it was easy to sell and even make some money on.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Xmen LE NIB - those who remember, no more needs to be said!

+1

I still kept it a number of years but didn’t play it enough to cover the loss. But I traded it straight for TwD pro. I lost some money but far happier with TWD.

#25 5 years ago

Hmmm... Not really. A lot of the games i couldn't wait to get rid of I didn't play before buying.
Maybe NGG because it's such a mess, but I don't really regret it. It was fun for a bit and it's an easy sell.

#26 5 years ago

I am starting to feel that way a little bit with AFMr. I played AFM more than any other game at PAGG for a couple of years, then played the remake last year, and had to have it. It is still fun, but I just don't play it much. I play GnR less at this point, but both get played less than 5 games per month right now. Not sure if I should sell or trade for something else, or just let them sit and maybe I will play them more in the future.

I think I would enjoy replacing them with Pirates and Hobbit, but I haven't played a ton of games on either of those. They were fun when I played them though.

#27 5 years ago

WOF. Loved it at PHOF so bought it and then really didn't care for it.

#28 5 years ago

Tron and Medieval madness. Had both sold or traded both in less than a year.

#29 5 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic. I played it at a show. I liked it and ended up buying it. Brought it home and just didn't have any good games on it at all. Lots of unlucky drains just turned me off to it. I'm one of the few who digs the theme. Glove doesn't bother me. Nice shots. Really wanted to like it, but it didn't like me back. So long, Johnny!

#30 5 years ago

Funhouse. Played 3-4 games while drunk and loved it. Bought one and immediately sent pf out for clear coat. When I finally got it reassembled 4 months later, played 3-4 games sober and was ready to sell.

#31 5 years ago

I try not to put down any pins, because even the "bad" pins have loyal fans. But, I'm so impulsive and always looking for something else that I get bored with pins in a matter of days sometimes. I had an awesome SM, but it lasted under a year. Then the wheels really came off. I added Big Buck Hunter, Houdini and Aerosmith. All three were traded in under 2 months. MET and LOTR lasted 3 months. I'm always looking to trade...the grass is always greener, right?

#32 5 years ago

I've played TNA last week for the first time.
It was amazing !!!
I would like to buy one, but I am afraid that it will get bored fast because of the gameplay...
I don't know...

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm... Not really. A lot of the games i couldn't wait to get rid of I didn't play before buying.
Maybe NGG because it's such a mess, but I don't really regret it. It was fun for a bit and it's an easy sell.

NGG a mess ? Where?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I had this experience with SM. I played it a dozen times in location and thought it was great. Not long after I got it home, I knew it was a mistake. The initial thrill of defeating the villains turned into a grind.
I recently bought a WPT and noticed a lot of people sell that game after owning it for a short amount of time. It made me wonder if they had a similar experience or if they bought the game with hopes for something different than it is.

Ghostbusters. Played it at TPF and fell for it. My first NIB experience and it was a total trainwreck, both in functionality and in playability. Found it an owner who loved it and worked out it's kinks, insofar as thats possible on this game. Got a Hobbit in trade for it which I enjoyed for a while thoroughly before I sent it bound for the Cidercade.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

NGG a mess ? Where?

I believe the code is notorious among pinball people as being incomplete at best, and bad at worst.

#36 5 years ago

I wanted to sell BDK like 10 minutes after I got it home.

There is no modern pin less fun than BDK. And I’m a WWE LE owner.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I've played TNA last week for the first time.
It was amazing !!!
I would like to buy one, but I am afraid that it will get bored fast because of the gameplay...
I don't know...

In your diverse collection....TNA would be a good fit. it’s the only game my wife plays with me in our collection. I asked my wife if TNA was worth 6.5K delivered...and her reply was that it was worth 20K to her. It is simple to understand the rules. but, hard to execute. that’s the hook for her. and the only game she can wrap her head around and understand.

Also, if you have some friends over, or after a double date. the co-op and team versus mode aspects of TNA are Superb! 2,3,4 people can team-up in co-op mode to try and destroy the reactors as a group...Team versus are players 1 & 3 against 2 & 4. I do wish you could do 1 player against 2 or 3 players. we have a back to back state champ in our group. so, we need at least 2 to 3 players vs him to win in team versus.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I am starting to feel that way a little bit with AFMr. I played AFM more than any other game at PAGG for a couple of years, then played the remake last year, and had to have it. It is still fun, but I just don't play it much. I play GnR less at this point, but both get played less than 5 games per month right now. Not sure if I should sell or trade for something else, or just let them sit and maybe I will play them more in the future.
I think I would enjoy replacing them with Pirates and Hobbit, but I haven't played a ton of games on either of those. They were fun when I played them though.

I can't speak for Pirates but Hobbit got old fast. I've never seen a game on location get less plays after a month. It's just relentlessly grindy and all 956,074 modes are some variation of shoot the drop targets or shoot the troll things we stole from Medieval Madness. Maybe if troll modes are your favorite part of Medieval Madness, but you felt what was really holding the game back was it just didn't quite have *enough* troll action, Hobbit is for you. And I'm not a Jersey Jack hater. I think Dialed In is one of the best games of the last decade. Woz is fine and I've only played two games on the prototype Pirates, but I liked what I saw.

#39 5 years ago

For me Metallica, got it a little over a month ago and now I’m selling it.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Metallica got stale for me too. But it took about 5000 plays.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Still got Mick On A Stick though ?

#42 5 years ago

T2

The game that got me hooked on modern pinball back in the day ... played this soooooo much in our local dive bar.

A few years ago I finally got one at home. Bored me to tears within a week

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Still got Mick On A Stick though ?

Don’t think Mick on a stick is going anywhere, love that game!

#45 5 years ago

I think a lot of people had that feeling with MM. think the guy you sold it to had regrets too

#46 5 years ago

I was never in love with F-14, but before buying it I thought it looked cool. Bought it and ended up feeling disappointed. It seems like a lot of people have regrets about expensive machines. Most probably agree they are good games, but end up feeling they are not worth two to three times what other machines are worth.

#47 5 years ago

I drove 12.5 hours one way to trade for a Bride of Pinbot to put next to my Pin*Bot.

Great music / sound effects / call outs... horrible game, left ramp all day couldn't wait to get rid of it. Traded it with cash for my Stern Star Trek which isnt going anywhere.

#48 5 years ago

For me it was Stern Star Trek, bought a Premium after really enjoying the LE at Rarehero's house, and then quickly discovered the initial magic didn't last.

I had a lot of fun doing up an alternate art package for it, so it was worth buying NIB just for that really, but I haven't missed it once since selling it.

#49 5 years ago

T2, holy shit does loading the canon get old after 1 month.

#50 5 years ago

Family Guy. I watched Chris Bucci's video about it and loved what I saw. Played it and loved it some more. I am a huge fan of the theme, but after a few weeks inbmy home I couldn't stand how bland the playfield was. The humor only lasts so long. Pat Lawlor's worst effort, in my eyes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Unisex
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-played-it-and-loved-it-you-bought-it-and-regret-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.