1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,489 posts
  • 240 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 250 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

My-Childhood-Punishments-Have-Become-My-Adult-Goals (resized).jpg
    imgres (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    5701AB31-12DA-454F-967D-BD63BD80B065.jpeg
    6DCABB60-E3A0-47A5-B507-FFABE82BD0C9.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1576355360419 (resized).jpg
    422B58FA-5529-48E4-86D6-8DA6B5E3FFE2.gif
    FDCB420F-8DFD-4B12-B385-4DC48F68B32C.gif
    0C25B678-1B14-492A-9067-9FA80C5CF393.gif
    imgres (resized).jpg
    Figure1_Multiplication_C-D (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    download (3) (resized).jpg
    gettyimages-146215414-1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1714 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I drove thru our local college town yesterday; it must be orientation as all the optimistic new students were walking around campus with their parents. I must not know how to "age" people any more as most of the students looked like they should be in Middle Grade School vs. college.

I remember back to thinking when 30 was old.

To me age is a state of mind -- I usually don't think about it but every now and again I get reminders that I'm not the young buck anymore.

A couple more off the top of my head -- You know you are old when:

You make noise when you sit down (or stand up).

Your kids can fix all your IT issues.

You can afford to buy a pinball machine!

Anyone else have any more to add?

#55 1 year ago

I usually just put my ID out at the register when buying beer with the groceries.

More than once this past year the checkout lady has said "Oh, I don't need to see that."

#76 1 year ago

On occasion the Mrs. goes out of town I still call to order a pizza. . . and I look the number up for the pizza place in the phone book.

#165 1 year ago

My first car was a fast car -- '70 Chevelle -- and would pass slower traffic the first chance I could.

Now I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere and think the cars passing me are driven by maniacs.

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from jesster64:I wouldn't mind that chair that glides up the steps either. Of course I would extend track so it glided right in to the bedroom.

You just need the chair from the movie "Idiocracy"

pasted_image.png

#201 1 year ago

Radio/Television programs I tune into are surrounded by advertisements for male enhancement products, reverse mortgages, and life insurance. Sometimes there are even "As seen on TV" products and the worst part is I actually find some of them interesting/potentially useful.

Another advanced age indicator is when Velcro "laced" shoes start becoming attractive.

#233 1 year ago

When you stop to pick a penny up off the ground. . .

#267 1 year ago

You remember sitting in the front car seat as a little kid.

Better yet, you remember riding on the speaker platform between the rear seat and rear window.

Your seat belt/airbag was Mom's arm across your neck when coming to a quick stop.

#270 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Or, sitting on the engine box between the front seats in a '64 Ford Econoline Van. Plus, I would "help" dad by pulling out the Choke lever that was on the front of it. When the engine started sputtering, Pops would yell or smack me.
    True story.

Ill throw one back at you.
    I was younger -- so I cannot tell you the year, but I was riding in my Grandparents Chevette and for some reason I was sitting in the center console. Not sure what go into me, but I grabbed the shift selector and threw it in reverse while we were driving down the road. After a jolt and some horrendous sounds (from the car and Gramps) we were moving forward again. He told me "Now don't do that again or the tow truck will have to come get us." Apparently the wheels in my head were turning and I threw the selector in reverse again. When asked why I replied that I wanted to see the tow truck.

#363 1 year ago

I was cleaning some in the garage yesterday. Noticed a lot of my power tools (drill, circular saw, Sawzall, etc.) all have cords attached that plug into the wall.

#375 1 year ago

Today at the office I had to kindly ask the parents of several wild children to deter their offspring from jumping on the dog scale, throwing all the brochures and dog bones on the floor, crying/screaming while I tried to explain my examination findings, etc. Back in my day if we (brother and I) tried to pull such antics it was not long before dad's belt was out and backsides were spanked.

Looking back I probably deserved it 90% of the time.

1 week later
    #446 1 year ago

When you want to pay cash for something. . . certain places won't even take it any more. I was recently denied at the doctor's office and a hotel.
    If I really want to mess with younger people I will pay for lunch with two dollar bills and fifty cent pieces (non silver ones). I might as well be giving monopoly money by the looks on their faces.

#517 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:When you've outlived your usefulness or welcomeness on a pinball website.

Welcome Mat is always out as far as I'm concerned.

Quoted from LTG:

That older than when Hector was a pup saying and you knew Hector's father.

Worked with a fella that constantly reminisced about Hector. I always looked forward to our lunch half hour when we'd drag out an old bucket or box to sit on and listen to Paul Harvey and The Rest of the Story. . .

#537 1 year ago

Cleaning in the barn I came across some of the old glass soda bottles. Remember drinking out of these and returning them for a deposit?

I felt classier drinking my Cotton Club out of a glass bottle

2 weeks later
    #596 1 year ago

I know its been covered -- but yesterday I bent over to pickup some trash on the ground and felt some sort of muscle tightness in my lower left back. I had to be careful about what position I slept in to avoid feeling pain in the area. . . this morning I could barely bend over to put on my socks and shoes. I'm early 40s -- everyone just laughs at me and says wait till 50.

Today I'm walking around like a robot to avoid reaggravating the same area. Hopefully it subsides in a couple days and things are back to normal. Just hoping no large dogs come in today that need picked up/moved around the clinic!

#611 1 year ago
    Quoted from VampireKangaroo:

When you get excited about buying a new vacuum cleaner.

Not quite a vacuum cleaner, but sort of had the same thoughts when looking at a new grill. Thinking of trying a Weber Performer and adding in the PizzaKettle add on for making pizzas. . .

Not something I was really into in my 20s but food is one of the things I look forward to/enjoy as I age.

#634 1 year ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

You won't regret getting a Performer! I don't even use my gas grill, (Weber), since I picked up my Performer 4 years ago. I got the Deluxe with propane ignition which makes it super easy to start.

Acquired one and fired it up for the first time the other night -- mixed my charcoal with a few slivers of cherry wood with excellent results.

When younger I barely had enough time to wait for something in the microwave -- I am convinced that time passes quicker as we get older so slowing down for a couple hours to cook dinner only makes sense.

1 week later
    #662 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Tractor Doc has been getting some good mileage from this thread. I have past my prime when my driving ambition is to get this thread to 999 so TD can say something on post #1000.

Its lasted longer than I thought. . . in fact longer than any other thread I've started. I've tried a number of pinball specific threads but none of them seem to catch on or my ideas are just not that interesting. You have been a good contributor cottonm4 !

Quoted from Hogey:

When someone in the restaurant (pub) anonymously pays for your dinner...happened to my wife and me on Monday. The waitress said he was peeling off hundreds and maybe he won the lotto...all I know is he bought dinner and drinks for my wife and me (mid sixties) and one other table nearby (group in their eighties)...I was appreciative but felt OLD...Couldn't even thank him...he waited for the waitress to tell me until he and his wife were gone...very nice of them.

I did this for a fella on Father's Day this year at our local Denny's. (Only the finest for breakfast here). Wife and I were halfway thru eating when I noticed an older fella sitting by himself a couple tables over. Covered his tab on the way out -- never really mentioned it to anyone before here but maybe it means I'm not quite that old. . . yet! I always wondered if I should have started a conversation or gave a friendly smile instead of trying to buy a little happiness for someone -- at the same time I know some folks would rather be left alone and my anonymity could have been the best approach. Hogey -- we are both in Ohio but I was not the guy that bought your dinner Monday. . . I am not at a point where I can start peeling off 100s .

As far as feeling old goes. . . earlier in the week I tried changing the fuel filter on the SUV used as a work vehicle. There are supposed to be some sort of quick connect couplings holding it on that I found were anything but. After about 30 minutes of crawling around under the car with bits of rust dropping down, scraped knuckles, and a couple curse words I thought "Im too old for this" and promptly called the local shop down the street.

#667 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When your farmer grandparents had a party line.

My parents had a party line. . . granted I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Rotary phones too.

Quoted from cottonm4:

When calling someone long distance was a major (and expensive) affair.

I don't think you even need to dial "1" before a long distance call anymore. Remember when you could call your neighbor without dialing the area code?

#682 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rabbit:

Anyone remember drinking Hawaiian punch from the giant tin can?

I was usually one to drink the Kool-Aid. I always liked the commercials where the Kool-Aid Man busted thru a wall.

Kool-Aid.gif

There was always Tang in the cabinet as well. If it was good enough for the astronauts it was good enough for me!

pasted_image.png

#693 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sadly, at my age, I have no ass left.

Looking back, I've never had much of one to begin with.

#701 1 year ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

You are so hungry you stop at McDonald's order a Big Mac and think to yourself, ..this just isn't packaged like it used to.

I remember the younger brother/sister getting their happy meals in a plastic boat -- it was kind of a cool toy back in the day until they sunk in our farm pond. They have pictures on the web of everything. . . prices seem to have gone up though.

Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

When you don't know that Home Depot offers this for its customers today.

Home Depot helpers always seem to disappear when I have a question. I am now bold enough to open the box of the item I am looking at to read the directions/make sure it is what I want and more often than not that still does not draw them in. I am in the Depot often enough that several employees recognize me -- several even bring their animals to the vet clinic -- they must be content to let me do my own thing. You know your old when you become the harmless dude rummaging thru factory packaging and no one objects.

#711 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

So we could survive a nuclear explosion. ( or leave good shadows for the body count ) Back when we thought people could survive a nuclear war.

Everyone just needed their own lead lined fridge:

IJFridge.gif

#725 1 year ago

Lately I've noticed a lot of my responses to people's questions have been "What?" or "What did you say?"

I've always had decent hearing but maybe people are mumbling more these days. . .

#731 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

... when you respond to that junk mail offering you a free hearing test.

Quoted from cottonm4:

And you remember who Ed Mcmahon was and you know how to pronounce his name.

When you respond to junk mail or enter the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes via the postal service. . . or just plain use the postal service vs. online. I still pay my bills with a check, put them in an envelope, and stick on a stamp. Cannot bring myself to do the stuff online -- the less my financial details are out there in cyberspace the better (or so I think ).

#733 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If only the postmen could read English or numbers, so they could decipher what street or address my mail should actually be dropped at.

Perhaps our postal persons are related -- at least once a month I receive the mail from someone else on my road. I take it back to the local post office. . . but it makes me wonder how much of my mail I may not be receiving.

#737 1 year ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I'm turning 60 today, am I in the club?

Age is a state of mind. . .

Happy Birthday!

#743 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But what is beyond ridiculous is watching younger people (or even some older ones) fiddle farting around with a credit or debit card for every damn purchase no matter how small. While I am standing there with cash in hand ready to go. They just look so clueless.

Try handing a cashier a two dollar bill or fifty cent piece -- more often than not I am asked if its real money. I keep some of each in the money drawer here at work, a lot of people get excited (sometimes confused ) when they find them with their change.

#757 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The system did not teach finance in grade school and high school.

I don't know how much things have changed -- I do not recall being taught anything about money management from grade school thru college. Instead of cars the same thing happened with houses (sign and move in) in the mid/late 2000s. We know how that turned out.
    Today to get you a car payment you can afford they stretch things out to five, six, seven + years. When times were good I remember something new was in the drive every two years or so.

Anyway,
    When I was a teenager I remember being able to ride my single speed bike for miles. I grew up in a rural area and the nearest friends house was a couple miles away. Today I take my multi-speed mountain bike on a local riding path with the Mrs. and I start feeling it within the first mile or so. I'm a better walker/hiker than a biker. Wish I had an odometer back then to keep track of the distances.

Loved the backward facing station wagon seats. It was always fun to squish your face (or other parts) on the window while the car behind you in traffic watched.

#761 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Somewhere around 1964 or 1965. Most of the kids in the neighborhood were older than me.

That is a great picture.

The pedal car made me remember -- my brother and I had John Deere pedal tractors and little sister had a "fancy" car version. We (brother and I) were quite the handful back in our day and had destructive tendencies. We played Demolition Derby with those tractors and her poor pedal car never stood a chance.

#788 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You guys have all of your toys from when you were kids. I don't have any of that stuff.

I have a difficult time parting with things, but a lot of my toys couldn't take what my brother and I threw at them. Dad worked for Caterpillar and we had a nice collection of toy bulldozers, dump trucks, etc. that we ran the tracks, wheels, and paint off of in the sandbox. In my twenties I reacquired a lot of the same toys -- some in their original boxes -- to relive a bit of my youth I suppose.

Fast forward a couple decades and now I'm trying to downsize a bit. I never know what to give the nephews for birthdays and such (they already have every toy imaginable) so in addition to a current year silver dollar and a little spending money they get one of Uncle D's toys from the past. I thought maybe they had matured enough to appreciate the heirloom potential so this past year I gave them a couple of the new in box machines. . . not five minutes after opening them they had the boxes ripped open and were out in the driveway scooping up rocks.

All I could do was laugh. I had not touched those tractors for nearly 20 years so it was about time someone enjoyed them.

#791 1 year ago

Coats/Jackets must be an old person thing.

I've been wearing mine now that the temperatures have been in the 30s -- the other youngsters that work in my office barely have a sweatshirt on when they come in. They say they don't need one as they can start the car from the house and are only outdoors to get in/out of the car. When I ask what happens when the car breaks down they just laugh and say it probably won't happen.

I spend about half an hour each morning tending to the animals and other outdoor chores; I tend to notice the cold a bit more than I used to but its actually the wind that really gets me when it blows. It must be an age thing as I can remember waiting for the school bus in near blizzard conditions without freezing.

#795 1 year ago

Can't let o-din's spin off thread get all the attention.

Started seeing the first 2018 Black Friday Sale Ads today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping-holidays/walmart-black-friday-2018-here-are-the-first-deals/ar-BBPdGCy?ocid=spartanntp

I remember when Black Friday. . . actually occurred on Friday.

#800 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Some kids will never know what it was like when you would look down the street and there would be kids at every door on both sides of the street.

We used to have to take a road trip from home for Trick or Treating (houses around us were miles apart).

Remember those plastic masks held on with the tiny rubberband that you could barely see out of?

#810 1 year ago

Birthdays tend to bring less fanfare and a reminder that you are only getting older

#814 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you remember when oncoming headlights produced a soft, yellowish glow.

I loved the dual front headlights on my '70 Chevelle. Had one of those buttons on the floor to turn them on and off, complete with foot shaped pedal.

I have the new LED lights in my Wrangler -- they are bright enough that people flash their lights at me at the normal setting. I feel bad for their retinas when I flash back with my brites.

#819 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

I remember when cars in the oncoming lane would flash their high beams if officer friendly was waiting with his radar gun.

I've tried (and will continue to do so) that approach but anymore people take it as something personal and flash their lights back at you. . .

#836 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

You used to navigate with a road atlas on a car trip.

I still do. . . I have a fondness for maps.

I'm starting to understand why Gramps kept a magnifying glass nearby when reading the newspaper or looking at his coin collection. I'm avoiding readers. . . but the fine print needs to be held farther and farther away.

#838 1 year ago

When the name "Tesla" is brought up in a conversation the first thing you think of is a person and not a car.

#849 1 year ago

Remember when the Gas Station Attendant would come out to the car with one of those new-fangled credit card readers?

#862 1 year ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

You know you're old when your self winding watch stops by 3 PM every day.

Or if you are wearing a watch these days. . .

#865 1 year ago

Anyone else put one of these on their antenna?

Its not all that old, but it was a freebie that I remember getting at one point.

#867 1 year ago

Don't ask me why, but I have a Flaming Eyeball topper on the FJ40.

#868 1 year ago

Back to the topic. . . Any gas stations out there still use one of these?

Cannot remember when they were phased out around here, but I miss the "Ding Ding" upon my arrival.

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

and you opened it with one of these.

I think I have one of those oil spouts new in the package somewhere.

Quoted from cottonm4:

When your mom's ice box...eh...refrigerator looked like this. With that "huge" freezer space.

I'll go one further -- we have one of these that was the grandparents' restored at home:

It currently has some books stored in it.

Speaking of books. . . (and maybe it was already mentioned) remember using the Dewey Decimal System to look up one in the library from a cabinet like this:

#879 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I miss those DDS boxes at the library. Somehow, searching on a computer is just not the same.

I think libraries had these -- before computers I remember having to look up part numbers for various pieces of construction equipment on Microfiche.
    I always thought the tiny little pictures on the "film" were so cool. I think we still have boxes of 'em at the family business somewhere. . . obsolete as everything is a couple clicks of the mouse on the computer now.

#887 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My dad had one of these but he never used it. Did anybody ever use these things?

I think I still have one. . . it was my Grandfathers.

Quoted from cottonm4:

How about those lawnmowers with the spring loaded crank?

How about one of these?

I've never used one of the reel mowers, but the Amish around here still do. A lot of times the kids are pushing those things around the yard in their bare feet!

I do remember using one of those Lawn Boy Mowers with two wheels close together on one side. I cannot remember if it took an oil mix gas or not. . .

No safety stop bar on the handle of that baby!

#895 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I bought a new pack of socks last week and I am really happy with how comfy they are and how good they make my feet feel.

I've been going with a wool or wool blend sock (especially in the winter months) for the last couple years and they have been fantastic. Feet stay warm even if they get wet. Comfortable too!

I'm not to the point of wearing compression socks just yet but have a pair in the drawer -- brother in law in the medical field says they are good to wear on plane flights.

#902 1 year ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I can add to this with a personal, true story. Both of my parents are in assisted living now but in different parts of the same facility. Most of the time everything is fine, but there are times I am walking those hallways and the hallway music is playing classic rock from the 80's...

One of my favorite radio stations growing up (I was old then too ) played "oldies" from the 50's and 60's. Haven't tuned back to it for a decade or so as now it plays the oldies from the 70's 80's and 90's!

Socks, suspenders, Velcro shoes . . . its all good here!

#912 1 year ago

When your food arrives at a restaurant your first instinct (after saying grace if that is your thing) is to eat it and not take a picture of it.

#914 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...when you leave the house and usually your camera stays there.

Can't say I'm guilty of that one. . . then again my camera is an actual camera (Canon 5D) and I usually drag that thing around a lot of places. Not using it to take pictures of my supper to post on the web though.

#918 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

when you look back at all of the stupid things that we did as kids (like jumping off of the garage roof into the above pool)

I remember jumping off the roof of the house (age 10-12?) holding open a large garbage bag thinking it would act like a parachute and gently bring me down to the ground. Instead I crashed into one of the shrubs that lined the front of the house and left a large hole in the center of it the rest of the time we lived there. Could be where my fear of heights comes from. . .

#933 1 year ago
    Quoted from klr650:

You can still leave the house without a cellphone and NOT have a panic attack...
    Or at least you could...Until you realized that folks nowadays won't help you - because they assume you have a cell phone!

When I was a wee boy I remember riding with my dad when a tire blew on the trailer we were pulling. He had my younger brother and I wait in the truck while he walked up the road to someone's house to use their telephone to call for help. Next thing I remember is sitting in a strange person's house while the tire was fixed.

Growing up we lived in view of an interstate -- I remember a couple times a year someone would knock on the door with car trouble asking if they could use the phone. While it was mildly awkward we'd always invite the person in and try to make them somewhat comfortable.

Nowadays when a stranger knocks on the door the Mrs. hides in the closet and calls me because she thinks someone wants to abduct, murder, or convert her.

#940 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm like you. I grew up in a small town where nothing bad ever happened. Times change. Don't be too quick to poo poo your wife. Her concern is valid.

No poo pooing here .

Sometime over the last couple decades most unexpected visitors transitioned from needing something to wanting something. I still try to think the best of people but certainly use caution around anyone I don't know.

Went out for brother's birthday dinner tonite. Saw more "Man Buns" than I cared to count. Ask me what that was a year or two ago and I would have said some masculine bakery or a guy's posterior.

#945 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Or twist-off beer tops!!

Quoted from LTG:

"Honey, sensuous up, grab me a beer out of the fridge".

When your beer of choice is named Blatz, Schlitz, or Pabst and there is no picture of a monkey, dragon, or other mystical creature on the bottle.

#949 1 year ago

How could I forget the official beer of bowling?

#952 1 year ago

Mmmmm. . . Beer.

#960 1 year ago

When installing the pop bumper on you current project game kicks your a**!

I'll admit that my working conditions were not ideal but I must have experienced half a dozen screw drops -- several of which disappeared in the drop target mechs -- and soldering the bulb wiring involved more cussing than usual. Tried working on everything without my headlamp and magnification loupes and it just was not going my way.

In the end I was victorious; I'm glad Meteor has just one pop!

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I rebuilt all five pop bumpers on my River Boat after at least twelve Pacificos, and already into the Jack and herb the other night and no lost parts and they all work great!

Ah, the question is was it the Pacifico, Jack, or Herb that led you to believe no parts were lost and everything was working great. . .

Kidding of course. With your experience I'm sure you could rebuild a pop bumper blindfolded.

#967 1 year ago

I know this may still be normal in some households today, but I remember when Thanksgiving was more of a laid back holiday and less intense.

Food was prepared at home and a bunch of relatives you didn't know all that well came together to fight over who had to sit at the kids table when chairs ran out. Sometimes someone would bring a super thick newspaper and you could look at all the sales coming on Friday. As the day progressed several of the guys would doze off watching football and one of toughest choices I'd have to make would be apple vs. pecan pie. I usually went with both.

In talking with my younger co-workers the trend seems to be going out to eat. Several are just heating up pre-made meals in the microwave. Instead of strategizing about what type of pie to eat they are more worried about what store to visit and how early they opened -- Thursday night. Anymore I've noticed even my family spends time looking at their phones taking advantage of all the Black Friday offerings as soon as the plates are cleared. I will probably take a look at some of the pinball deals out there but luckily some of those go thru the weekend.

More of an observation than anything else. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving -- take some time to slow down and appreciate the day and the family if you can.

#974 1 year ago

The appeal of cutting your own firewood lessens each year.

Then again, we tend to go overboard on these sorts of things.

5J5A8390 (resized).JPG

#985 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

I was merely pointing out
    just how tragically s-l-o-w
    this thread has become.

Things tend to mover a bit slower with age.

Now that we are in Holiday Season does anyone remember (or still use) one of these?

Grandma had a large table top version that was always fired up after big meals. Filled the house up with a great aroma and when younger I loved watching the clear sight splash at the top.

#988 1 year ago

You remember when cinders were used on winter roads for traction before salt and more recently this liquid stuff they spray. That brine seems to rust out vehicles in a couple years.

This is more of a Northern/colder climate thing.

#990 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I know I am older than you, but around here salt has always been used as long as I can remember; But I only live 40 miles from the salt mine. If it is just going to be a little pee-wad snow storm the road guys would throw down sand (I guess that is like your cinders).
    The brine that is used now is highly corrosive.

I suppose where I grew up was a little off the beaten path as well -- our roads were probably less of a priority than others. Instead of trucks with plows we had motor graders with the large V-blade mounted on the front clearing the way.

#996 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

make it 992 and I must say I think it is only fair that TractorDoc get #1000.

Me or somebody else. . . its all good.

Just returned from a shopping trip. I have not eaten cereal in years, but for some reason I felt the need to try the new Maple Cheerios.

Looking over the Milk selection I remember when the choices were skim, 2%, whole, vitamin D, and chocolate -- and they all originated from a cow. Now I see milk from almonds, cashews, soy, and even a small bottle from goats.
    I went with vitamin D.

I know some of you are going to tell me the Milk Man dropped the glass bottle off at your doorstep. . .

Come to think of it, I remember when the only Cheerio options were plain and Honey Nut.

#1000 1 year ago

Guess I'm up.

If I've learned anything in life or (or from this thread) it is that age is a state of mind. Pinside and pinball are great examples -- most of us are grown adults and we are posting about our toys. . . how to play them, how to fix them, when we buy a new one, etc. Even though there are reminders out there with each passing day that time is not static the important part is to enjoy the ride.

I tell my dog/cat clients that age is not a disease. . .but it can bring some baggage with it. Thanks to this thread I know I'm not alone and maybe even know what to expect in the days to come. The nostalgia has been great; maybe someday as pinball evolves the newcomers to the hobby will have their own thoughts to add (remember when you had to pysically push the flipper buttons with your fingers instead of just thinking about it?)

T-minus 0 and liftoff -- Happy 1000!

5J5A0693 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #1004 1 year ago

My younger associate was talking about an interaction with a client today -- her words were "He reminded me of Woody Harrelson. . . you know, from the Hunger Games."

My perspective is a bit different; I remember Woody Harrelson. . . you know, from Cheers.

VS.

1 week later
    #1021 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When you remember automotive styling changes.

Tailfins. . . Suicide Doors. . . Chrome. . . Metal Body Panels. . .

I am a carbureted man living in a fuel injected world.

For those that are curious, the Maple Cheerios (post #996) were/are very good. . . taste like pancakes or waffles.

#1024 1 year ago

Maybe its just me, but I remember when Hostess Cupcakes were bigger. . .

5J5A8760 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #1034 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When New Years Eve consists of a cup of hot chocolate and bedtime by 9:30pm. Because you have seen it all before.

Same here. . . but I did find myself holding some Jack Daniels instead of the Hot Chocolate. Too much to do on the next day off rather than sleep most of the morning away.

2 weeks later
    #1057 1 year ago

Ah, Yes.

I too enjoy sitting in a comfy chair gazing out at my birdfeeder whilst holding a warm coffee on a crisp weekend morn. . .

I used to sit a small tray of feed out on the porch close to the door with a good view of visiting birds. I stopped this after a squirrel took advantage of the tray and the dog nearly knocked himself out running into the door.

5J5A9001 (resized).JPG

#1080 1 year ago

Thinking back to what things cost --

Trying to remember how long it has been since items actually had price tags in stores vs. barcodes. 80s? 90s?

I know its been awhile.

2 weeks later
    #1095 11 months ago

You have no desire to watch the Grammys. From what I understand that makes me a bit lame as well even though I walk without a limp.

#1107 11 months ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I was standing inline at McDonalds today when 2 guys (older then me geezers) paid cash for their coffee. Out came that change purse...first the quarters then the dime then the nickle then the pennies...each guy did this. People please! do not become these guys when you get older. What is it with old people that hate loose change? Never the dollar bills...if it is $1.67..then it's 1 dollar then dig for the "exact" change..hold everyone up (rant)

Hmmm,

I always pay in exact change when I can. When I don't have enough of the silver coins I at least try to get the pennies right. I usually have to fumble the coins out of my pocket. . . maybe I need one of those mollusk action money holders?

#1110 11 months ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

Doc, you need one of these.

Tempted, but I don't see a 50 cent dispenser on that one. I usually keep a couple on hand to confuse the young'uns from time to time at the register. Most have never seen one in person.

#1117 11 months ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I use dollar coins to really confuse em!

Really make their eyes big with one of these:

Once you convince them its real they always want to buy/keep it from the drawer to show their friends.

#1122 11 months ago

Stopped up at Wal-Mart this afternoon to get oil and a filter to service the Jeep tomorrow. While navigating thru the store I could hear a bunch of juveniles whooping and hollering at each other across the aisles. Old Moment #1 -- Mumbled something to myself about damn kids these days not knowing when to be seen and not heard.

Walked up to the checkout line. Somehow said juveniles were gathered in front of the only lit lane looking at the energy drinks in the cooler, blocking the aisle. They looked at me and without saying a word turned, took their time deciding which can of snake venom or dragon adrenaline to buy (ok, it was probably only 10 seconds or so), then walked up to the cashier. Old Moment #2 -- Muttered something to myself about kids not having any manners these days.

Amazingly they paid in cash. No change purses emerged, just paper bills. As they were handed their change a half hearted attempt was made at dropping said change into a pocket -- most of it ended up on the floor but the kids just walked away. Old Moment #3 -- Thought to myself kids have no appreciation for the value of a dollar these days. I picked the change up and scored thirty four cents.

As I was leaving the parking lot I could not help but notice the beer bottle that had been placed smack dab in the middle of the turning lane I was about to drive thru. I did not see them do it, but thought it very likely that the same standout group carried out the act (not many people at the store/in the parking lot today). Not sure if it was an old moment or not, but just said out loud to myself "Idiots" and shook my head.

Made it back home here at Elderly Acres -- the older I get the less I want to go out and interact with the public. Darn Whipper-Snappers!

#1127 11 months ago

All around Northeast Ohio as well.

Only difference is nowadays I see pennies, nickels, dimes and the occasional quarter in them. I personally try not to use the pennies from the dish, but when I do I try to replace them at my next visit. The cashier here at the local town store thinks I'm nuts.

#1135 11 months ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

... you signal as you approach your driveway...

How 'bout when you leave your driveway? I've done that a time or two. . . . . . but I have not left the signal on after doing so.

#1142 11 months ago

I was never a smoker but I do remember seeing these at bars and bowling alleys. When I was younger (gramps took me into the bars with him -- try that today!) I associated vending machines with gumballs or a little toy in one of those plastic pods so of course I was drawn to it no matter what the contents. I stole the picture from the web -- nice leg reflection to whomever took the pic.

1 month later
    #1164 10 months ago

I installed some new lamp sockets on a playfield last week. I must have been leaning over the playfield in an unnatural way because my back has not been right until the last day or so. Was considering a consultation with a chiropractor.

Sadly my powers of invincibility seem to be fading with age and my vulnerabilities are multiplying.

#1169 10 months ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Oh man!
    Making your own tapes off the radio!
    Those were the days.

Or recording television shows with the VCR when there was only a couple channels. Somewhere I still have a VHS tape with a Three Stooges day long "Stooge-a-Thon" recorded onto it.

#1179 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Every once in awhile someone’s VHS collection comes across the block. It is always interesting to check the hand written labels for what is on tape.

Funny (sort of) VHS tape story.

When I was living in the big city and attending veterinary school I lived in a condo community. One of the perks of living there was the trash area -- residents were either wealthy and/or there were a lot of elderly folks that may have passed and a cleanout of their possessions had occurred. I pulled all sorts of things from the dumpster -- a complete HO scale model train set, stamp collections, vintage doll house and furniture (sold those for big bucks on E-bay), bicycles (they were definitely in the trash, not just temporarily left there ), etc. One day I came across a big box of VHS tapes, unlabeld. Curiosity peaked I hauled the box off and some time later popped one in the VCR. To my surprise it was a collection of. . . lets just say adult related material. That sort of stuff is/was not my cup of tea but a couple of my classmates gladly took them home. I still can't help but laugh thinking about it years later.

I do miss the surprises that were offered up by that dumpster.

#1189 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You know you are old when you remember (while living the middle of the Kansas plains) watching Smoky Bear on TV say,” Only you can prevent forest fires.”

I think I still see/hear him from time to time, just not with the prominence of days past. Most recently I remember a commercial about making shapes out of several matchsticks and how it only takes one to start a forest fire. His face and catch phrase follow at the end.

Perhaps they are trying to make bears less relatable so you don't walk up to one in the wild to strike up a conversation.

#1192 10 months ago

When you remember a speeding ticket only costing you $50 and it was free to park for jury duty. . .

4 months later
    #1204 5 months ago

When you do the math and realize that cars from the early/mid 90s now qualify for historical vehicle plates.

#1209 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

when you start getting mail in your box, 1-2 times a week, with all sorts of sales pitches for hearing aids.

How about when you still go out to check the mail?

My younger brothers in law pay everything with their phones/online and maybe check their apartment mail boxes once every two weeks!

#1233 5 months ago

I live in a rural area. Even so, we have all the modern stuff like internet and electricity (in most places ).

Even so I about fell over the other day when I went into the post office for a money order and the postmaster heaved one of these check stamping machines from under the counter to stamp the order.

check stamper (resized).png

I had not seen one of those since the 80s when my parents used one at the family business!

#1238 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My first job was throwing newspapers at houses. You ever heard of one of those?

Yep, I'm living in one I fixed up now.

2 weeks later
    #1266 5 months ago

I miss checkout lanes that are actually manned by people.

Had to go to Home Depot today for a section of outdoor carpet to build a dog ramp. (Dog pinched a disk in its back, its getting old too ). Had the carpet cut, they gave me my price ticket, and I headed for the checkout. There were about half a dozen lanes where you can scan and go, but I needed the person this time due to my custom purchase. Apparently about five other people were in the same situation so we all waited patiently at the one lane manned by a cashier while the auto checkouts were all empty.

Scan and gos are not all bad, I typically use the manned checkouts though as I know it keeps someone employed.

2 weeks later
    #1279 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

you have to sit down on the side of the bed in order to take your pants off.

And/or put your socks on.

#1281 4 months ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

You put your socks on standing up?

Sometimes. . . never thought much about it but I suppose I have good balance.

3 weeks later
    #1292 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I suppose if my hair wasn't so long, I wouldn't be using that conditioner that caused the fall in the first place.

Are you sure you did not slip on one of those scrubby poof things?

I remember back in simpler times when there was a bar of soap and the stuff in the bottle was to wash your hair.
    Now the shower shelves are full of all shapes/sizes/descriptions of bottles. . . I imagine part of that comes with having a spouse though.

1 month later
    #1324 56 days ago

Yesterday I was running errands and stopped in a Subway for lunch. I ordered the combo, took my cup over to the drink fountain, and honestly stood there for five minutes trying to figure out how to make a selection and get it out of the machine.

Everything seems to have big touch screens now -- this one had one giant screen with images of over a dozen different cups/flavors moving about. I could not seem to hit the flavor I wanted at the right spot or time and must have poked that screen a dozen times. I was very close to putting the cup back on the counter and taking a bottled beverage out of the cooler, but persistence paid off and my fruit punch was eventually dispensed.

I cannot imagine the electronics/touch screen is less costly than the standard manual style dispensers. . . but what do I know. I'll always relate better to the mechanical stuff -- one of the reasons I like pinball!

#1326 56 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I must be getting old when the grey heart next to my avatar turns red and I don't even remember donating this year.

Happens to the wife all the time. Packages show up on the doorstep from time to time. . . they are addressed to her but she claims no memory of ordering anthing!

I don't mention anything about her getting older when the topic comes up though.

#1340 56 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You know you are gettig old, when you start teaching your first Granddaughter what Pinball is......This is her today, her first day!
    Miss Alex learned to watch the ball and try to grab it! 8 months old!

Well done on introducing pinball to the next generation!

Your picture also makes me think I'm getting older if I remember seeing the FIRST Jurassic Park movie when it came out.

#1357 55 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When you've never heard of Rick and Morty

I don't have a clue who Rick and Morty are. . . but when I read the title this is what my brain pictures for some reason.

3 weeks later
    #1474 31 days ago

In cool or rainy weather the family matriarchs would often don their babushkas. I have not seen one for some time -- perhaps its an old fashioned thing or maybe they have just fallen out of what is fashionable?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 10.95
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 6.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tractordoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside