Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2026 3 years ago
    jedi old (resized).pngjedi old (resized).png
    3 weeks later
    #2155 3 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

starts trimming your eyebrows each time you come in. when the hell did that start?? haircut extended..what's next.

The hair on and inside your ears

2 weeks later
    #2185 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Forgot about Miss Jane Hathaway. LOL

Screenshot 2020-10-06 125100 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-10-06 125100 (resized).png
    1 week later
    #2224 3 years ago

The size of the steak you order decreases by about 2 ounces every decade (if you are still ordering steak)

#2234 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You know your old when you score big at value village!

when you're still buying CDs instead of downloading your music

1 week later
    #2287 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

brown 70's kitchen appliances.

Quoted from o-din:

avocado green.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

harvest gold appliances?

Or the more rare "poppy red" -

poppy red (resized).jpgpoppy red (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2358 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I want my wife to look like that.

Here is the part they clipped off...

bad2 (2) (resized).jpgbad2 (2) (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #2471 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Does anybody else remember this Chevy Show I am talking about?

Quoted from Billc479:

The Chevy show used to be at Six Flags near St. Louis. It was a near permanent display. Loved going there when I was a kid. Great memories.

I remember the Chevy Show! We went to Six Flags with the whole family in 1976. That was the year the Screaming Eagle Roller Coaster, the tallest and fastest Roller Coaster in the world at the time opened. I was either too short or young to ride it, but by older brother did, and they gave out metal badges that season proclaiming you rode the Screaming Eagle.

The Chevy Show had bench seating with no backs. I remember the last part was as if you were driving down the road, first person, and at the very end you went around a curve and there was a stopped Chevy (Corvette?) in front of you and the camera abruptly stopped behind it. I was startled and flew backwards, arms flailing and I took my Dad down with me. The entire place roared with laughter!

#2527 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

When you only have one plate of food for thanksgiving dinner.

Well that made me feel a little younger, I still had two plates this year. I did skip breakfast though so I would have enough room

1 month later
    #2777 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You know your old when your hobby is paint by numbers.

Wow, looks good! Evidently they have come a long way since I have last did a paint by number - I remember doing something like this

hasbro2262painted (resized).jpghasbro2262painted (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2958 3 years ago

Your getting the Shingrix (shingles) series of vaccine and the COVID series two weeks apart (minimum time between). Started the Shingrix first not thinking I would be getting COVID one for a while. Just got the second Shingrix yesterday (crappy weekend ahead) and second COVID in two weeks on Friday (same crappy weekend I am sure).

#2960 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Readypo - I know this is just urban lore, but I was told a bottle of Gatorade or pedialite about 8 - 10 hours after the second shot really helps. I drank a bottle of Gatorade, had no side effects at all, however, wifey did not drink any and felt bad for two days.

My wife told me something like that too but I wasn't paying attention - I will give it a try, thanks

2 weeks later
    #3026 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

That shingles shot messed me up twice! Fever, chills, headache. Felt like I had the flu for 36 hours both times!

Yes it was much worse than the COVID. My second COVID, just tired the next day, no fever no chills. Went down for the count with the second Shingrix.

1 month later
    #3153 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sometimes I get a little farty when I begin to sleep. My loud coughs don't fool my wife and she gets really mad! What am I supposed to do????

Double down. Dutch Oven

1 week later
    #3280 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You know you are old when you drive off to go to the store, and have to go back when you don't remember whether you shut the garage door.

I just bought two new WiFi garage door openers that will work with Alexa so I can ask "Alexa, is the garage door shut?" Yes, I am not afraid to use technology as a memory crutch

alexa (resized).jpgalexa (resized).jpg
    #3282 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Also, a thief could wait until you're not home, hold a bullhorn up to your window and say, "Alexa open the garage door!"

You have to give it a security code I think so the bullhorn won't work. Yes the sensor could go bad but that is less likely than me forgetting if I closed it or not!

5 months later
    #3717 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Now, I can still go outside and see stars -- I'm not saying they have gone away -- but the light pollution from human progress has definitely lessened the effect. Its not until I visit some of the less populated parts of the country that I'm reminded of that.

Clearest night sky I have seen was when I was in Afghanistan. First real good look at the Milky Way. This is an internet picture, not one I took, but one of the Afghan Sky and yes it really looks like this - Outside of the major cities, almost no night pollution at all combined with the higher elevations and no cloud cover.

internet afgan sky (resized).jpginternet afgan sky (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #3982 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The obituaries made mention of one of my classmates -- born the same year as myself.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Wait until you cannot count all the deceased classmates on 2 hands.

Class of 1983 - we have a lost a few over the years including some very recent cancer victims (and those that have made it through that). There is probably more but a surprising large number of my classmates keep in touch via Facebook. That is one of the reasons I kept my account though I am not really active.

2 months later
    #4315 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I hang up and say I think they are sold out. How do I recover from this and get the dehumidifier without my wife finding out?

Tell the wife you are never going to believe this, they called back and said they found one in the back room, but I need to pick it up now. Get in car, go to the right store and pick it up

1 month later
    #4578 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The last couple I know to pony up for an expensive wedding, the one that paid for it regretted it within 2 years.

Sister's wedding -$50k divorced
    My wedding $1,500 (including reception with a band) - wife/bridesmaids made their dresses, made the flowers, etc. Biggest expense was photographer. 37 years, still going strong.

3 weeks later
    #4707 1 year ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I’m with you on the “Thank you for your service” overuse. It should make me feel appreciated, but it seems to lose its meaning when every time someone finds out I’m a veteran they utter the same 5 words.

Quoted from LTG:

Except for on a seconds notice you could have been shipped overseas to do your duty in a combat zone or defend US citizens.

The thanks is for the risk you took while in the service. Even if you were fortunate during your time in.

LTG : )

It has never bothered me because I don't think it is about me, it is an acknowledgement of the value of the military in protecting the country, a sentiment that has not always been shared by the public. I happen to be wearing the uniform and therefore get the accolade, but I think it represents something bigger. I know most who say it, even as a reflex now, it makes them feel better, and why wouldn't I want people to feel good they recognized the value a strong military brings to our society? It is why I don't argue when someone buys my lunch (as a senior officer, I can afford my own lunch just fine). I politely say no, it is ok the first time only they offer. They almost always insist, and they go away happy that I didn't insult their generosity (and they get to feel good about themselves and the military all day).

For the few (and it is very few) who say it out of social obligation but don't mean it, well I get to feel good they had to acknowledge some things are bigger than them.

And @cottonm4, I never quantify or qualify anyone's service, whether they deployed, served 2 years or 20 years, went to war, stayed in the states, was a mechanic or infantryman, went in to service for the college money or true patriotism. LTG has it right - you raise your hand and put on the uniform, served honorable always knowing you might get a call serve more. So thank you for your service, really, especially since it was during a time when not a lot of people were saying it.

Sorry for the long oration, I retire from the National Guard at the end of the month after 37 years of active and reserve service here and abroad, so it is weighing on my mind right now. Ready to retire, but going to miss a life time of service, especially with what is going on in the world right now.

1 week later
    #4811 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Has anyone gone to see Top Gun Maverick? If so, what did you think?

Didn't see it IMAX but the movie was terrific, very glad to see it in the theater.

1 week later
    #4906 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many $9.00 2 x 4s will you be able to use before you have to raise your prices

Had to look - $5.32 @ HD today. 4X8 zipboard $43.85 - both down from their highs but still double from 2 years ago...

7 months later
    #5525 1 year ago

All this talk of Lawrence Welk has reminded me of Hee Haw - at least the the lady's were pretty good looking on that show

hee haw (resized).jpghee haw (resized).jpg
    7 months later
    #6205 6 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And now that I am part of the "older" crowd, I realize that these old farts I used to think were so smart are just the same dumbshits I went to high school with

Well not all of them. Some of those dumbshits never made it past the "hold my beer" phase.

3 weeks later
    #6273 6 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The one I have now and his assistants are all great. I found out we are all on the same page about most everything.

Quoted from cottonm4:

The dentist am now visiting I really like for his dental practices.

My former dentist and I were on the same page on a lot of issues, and that was nice. He retired and sold his practice to a group, so I wasn't sure as we left a group practice previously for being a revolving dentist door.

However, just had a crown put in, only partially covered by insurance, but it came in less than the estimate because the new dentist got it done without having to go too deep. Quick and easy. She is younger but did a great job, and it looks like she will be sticking around a while. Probably don't have as much in common, but honesty and competency go a long way.

1 week later
    #6357 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I said I survived Paul Volcker's 22% interest rates in the early 80s. That pretty much ended the conversation about high interest rates.

Bought our first house while in College in 1988 - 10.5% interest rate, no money down (VA Loan). We were THRILLED to get 10.5%. Last mortgage we had, 3.24%.

#6365 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hindsight says I should have kept it. It also had a two car garage and an extra one car garage and a nice deck with a view.

That is $1,000 a square foot. Crazy. My house is that market would be unaffordable.

#6368 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This one comes with a little square of sand. And I can show you even BIGGER deals elsewhere on the coast.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/326-Boca-Del-Canon-San-Clemente-CA-92672/25600682_zpid/

At least that one comes with an ocean view (and a railroad track, that is interesting and not in a good way)

4 weeks later
    #6636 4 months ago

Here is one aircraft that I can honestly say I took off in far more times than landing in back in the early 80s. Ultimately I logged a lot of hours in a C130 over the past 40 years, the air frame is nearly 70 years old and still going strong. Have to say though, the service onboard was not up to standards. The toilet was a can behind a curtain.

aircraft1 (resized).jpgaircraft1 (resized).jpgbragg1 (resized).jpgbragg1 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #6672 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

"Don't be a Litterbug"

ct-perspec-indian-crying-environment-ads-pollution-1123-20171113-2029012468.jpgct-perspec-indian-crying-environment-ads-pollution-1123-20171113-2029012468.jpg
    #6723 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you no longer drink the Kool Aid.

When you know who Jim Jones was and where that saying came from.

2 weeks later
    #6786 4 months ago

We had a couple of the Chipmunks albums. Their Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer was also released as a single in 1960 and it went to #21 on the Billboard top hits.

chipmunk1 (resized).jpgchipmunk1 (resized).jpgchipmunk2 (resized).jpgchipmunk2 (resized).jpg
    #6824 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Both of those charts use the word "reported"

While I do think overall since the 90s there has been a drop in reported crime, I also know the FBI compiles this from local law enforcement submittals, which have been at an all time low (compliance in the 1990s was in the high 90s percent, it was just over half by the deadline for 2021). Like most complex issues, statistics seldom provide the whole story (one of my favorite books is How to Lie with Statistics, written in 1954, so using caution when reviewing statistics has always been prudent) . It has been estimated that over half of violent crimes go unreported to law enforcement, which then would never show up in this report at all (another statistic frequently reported for which I do not have a source).

Bottom line here is always the same - if you or someone you know has been a victim of a violent crime, all the statistics in the world won't change that fact. And when we hear empirically about seemingly random ones (wrong place wrong time), we can all put ourselves in those shoes.

1 week later
    #6873 3 months ago
    Quoted from DCP:

I watch YouTube in Firefox using an add on called UBlock Origin. I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in years.

I use adblock plus in Firefox. Lately if I leave Youtube up too long, I will get the adblockers violate their terms yada yada message. I just exit the browser completely and come back in, and are good to go again. If a content creator I am following does an in video ad, I usually watch it to help them out, they don't get credit if you skip over it.

#6919 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This post got one thumbs up and made me realize how old I really am. All of these items I listed used to be stuff that was talked about around the dinner table and at parties.

I was your upvote - still a kid in the 70s and some of this I probably wasn't fully aware of at the time, but certainly later as someone who appreciates history.

But I do remember CB radios, Convoys, Breaker Breaker 1-9 and all of that.

I remember going to see Smokey and the Bandit at the theater with my step-dad, who almost never went to the movies. I have never seen him laugh so much which was almost as cool to see as the movie itself.

bandit (resized).jpgbandit (resized).jpg
    #6923 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Only reason I didn't on that post is because he said Ricardo never said rich crushed velour. it's not something I made up out of thin air and it was on the "I know my own needs" ad. Find the different ad where he does say that and I will upvote it anyway.

It was definitely on a print ad....

cordoba ad (resized).pngcordoba ad (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider readypo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=readypo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.