1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,394 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 230 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

97308700d81551e29a0a0d1348ba98fea97d22bb (resized).jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    220px-Farrah_Fawcett_iconic_pinup_1976.jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    index(5).jpg
    HS1.jpg
    pass2 (resized).png
    groucho (resized).jpeg
    Father-knows-best (resized).jpg
    51gdTv0DYNL (resized).jpg
    index(6).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    imgres (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Alex and JP (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poppapin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 1 year ago

Pinball games were a nickel...

#51 1 year ago

You remember penny candy costing a penny...

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

How about programming on paper tape or Hollerith punch cards.

My 1st job out of tech school was working on keypunch machines!! 80 & 96 column cards

#261 1 year ago

How about Sunday nights watching the Ed Sullivan show...

#286 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You remember TV channels signing off at nite then that screeching noise and color test came on the TV

Yup! And there was only 3 channels...

#306 1 year ago

Anybody remember making a scooter like this? Out of roller skates & a wooden crate? Yeah baby

scooter (resized).png
    #324 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Depends how old you'll go. Last I checked, Barbara Eden was still looking good!

I guess you'll go 86, cuz that's how old she is..

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

We were at the airport last weekend. Remember when you could go to the gate and wait for your people to get off their plane?

Remember when you could smoke on a plane?

1 week later
    #441 1 year ago
    Quoted from LongsdaleX:

If you see old phone with dial disk

If you're using one...

#451 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gomer1969:

I was talking to a younger Bald co-worker lamenting the fact that my hair is thinning. He told me to just shave it off.
    I said no way I wouldn't look good bald I would look like Kojak. He just looked at me and said who?
    God I thought everyone new Kojak.
    [quoted image]

Hey Gomer, I'm sure most people wouldn't know who Gomer Pyle is either...What about Roy Rogers & Dale Evans?

#454 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

My son knows who Roy Rogers is. He's the guy with the Roast Beef restaurants on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes, also the Garden State Parkway, New York Thruway and Chesapeake House service center on the JFK memorial highway in Maryland.

Those restaurants still around? Loved the roast beef sandwiches. Used to be a lot of RR franchises in the Philly area that all turned into Boston Market.

#483 1 year ago

That's still an option at one local arcade!!

#523 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You remember watching Lawrence Welk on TV because your parents watched Lawrence Welk on TV.
    You watched Lawrence Welk on TV because the only other show to watch was Lassie. Or Mr. Ed.
    You watched Lawrence Welk because you liked it.
    Then you looked forward to when you could watch Porter Wagoner on Saturday afternoon. And Dolly was young. And good looking.

Don't forget the Lennon Sisters!!

#550 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
    "I think this is John. And this one is Paul. And George. And that's Ringo on the bottom".

Paul & George are reversed!!

1 week later
    #567 1 year ago
    Quoted from Travish:

And they came in vending machines.

Costing .35/Pack

#570 1 year ago
    Quoted from Budman:

When you call a 30 something “ a kid”

That's easy!! My kids are 37 & 35

#578 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

What does it mean when having a heart attack and dropping dead on the floor is looking like a good thing?

Game over!! You tilted!! Good thing is, You went quick!!

1 week later
    #599 1 year ago

Going to a bar and getting a beer for a buck or less!! Stuff is so overpriced today...

#616 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Vacuum cleaner?
    When it was a door to door salesman that sold your parents their vacuum cleaner.[quoted image]

Don't forget the encyclopedia your parents bought from door to door salesman...

#636 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was younger we did not have microwaves

Beat me to it!!

2 weeks later
    #746 1 year ago
    Quoted from erak:

Out of all the pins that have come out recently. You are still only interested in 90's B/W pins. Or the remakes.
    Old? or smart?

Or EM's

2 weeks later
    #844 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am guessing your memory is correct. Gas stations used to give them away. Any and every station had a wall of maps from several states to choose from.
    "Free maps. Clean restrooms."
    When I started my pin chasing a couple of years ago, I thought it would be wise to buy a AAA membership. I have stacks of AAA maps and free towing. It has been a good investment. One tow in paid for a year's membership.

They pumped the gas for you & checked your oil & cleaned your windshield!

#851 1 year ago

$2.50 used to fill up my wife's Fiat..

#899 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I think I still have one. . . it was my Grandfathers.

How about one of these?
    [quoted image]
    I've never used one of the reel mowers, but the Amish around here still do. A lot of times the kids are pushing those things around the yard in their bare feet!
    I do remember using one of those Lawn Boy Mowers with two wheels close together on one side. I cannot remember if it took an oil mix gas or not. . .
    [quoted image]
    No safety stop bar on the handle of that baby!

You're not that old if you've never used a reel mower...

#943 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

...you're no longer the "go-to guy" for a super tight jar lid!

Or twist-off beer tops!!

#970 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I know this may still be normal in some households today, but I remember when Thanksgiving was more of a laid back holiday and less intense.
    Food was prepared at home and a bunch of relatives you didn't know all that well came together to fight over who had to sit at the kids table when chairs ran out. Sometimes someone would bring a super thick newspaper and you could look at all the sales coming on Friday. As the day progressed several of the guys would doze off watching football and one of toughest choices I'd have to make would be apple vs. pecan pie. I usually went with both.
    In talking with my younger co-workers the trend seems to be going out to eat. Several are just heating up pre-made meals in the microwave. Instead of strategizing about what type of pie to eat they are more worried about what store to visit and how early they opened -- Thursday night. Anymore I've noticed even my family spends time looking at their phones taking advantage of all the Black Friday offerings as soon as the plates are cleared. I will probably take a look at some of the pinball deals out there but luckily some of those go thru the weekend.
    More of an observation than anything else. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving -- take some time to slow down and appreciate the day and the family if you can.

Still normal in our household. Food, Family, and Football!!
    Happy Thanksgiving All!!

#994 1 year ago

Like a dusting...

#995 1 year ago

Remember postage stamps being a nickel!!

1 month later
    #1070 10 months ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

You look at old ticket stubs from 90’s concerts and see $25 face value.

Early 70's concert tickets $5.00 some even cheaper for startup bands..

#1081 10 months ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I used to save newspaper reviews of concerts I went to. One clipping from about 1982 had an ad for Ozzy when he first went solo appearing at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. Ticket prices were $6.50 and $8.50.
    Time to fire up the Delorean.

You're in my neck of the woods, went to a lot of concerts at the Tower. David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust tour he played 7 nights there. Small theatre holding maybe 2500. That was in 1972 and the tower still does concerts!!

3 weeks later
    #1097 9 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

You have no desire to watch the Grammys. From what I understand that makes me a bit lame as well even though I walk without a limp.

Because you don't know who any of the performers are!!

3 weeks later
    #1157 9 months ago
    Quoted from Wotto:

You fart dust...

Better than wet!!

2 weeks later
    #1174 8 months ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

You talking about Chico and the Man? I do remember. You are old when you miss going to the mall and hitting the music store to buy a new album, hit the bookstore and check out the latest mags, and hit the arcade, Alladin's Castle before you leave. The internet and youth of today are to blame. I'm about to be 53 btw.........

53? You're not even a senior citizen. Come back in 10 years!!

4 months later
    #1208 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How could I forget about AARP? I guess my rememberer is getting a little rusty (rusty sounds better than old), too.

How about all the different medicare plans, I get them all the time...

#1219 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have already passed that phase of my life. About 6-8 months before I turned 65 I was having all kinds of Medicare emails, snail mails, and agents knocking on my door. All wanting to do business. I don't know where you are at on this Medicare stuff, but be careful so you don't screw yourself.
    You will get Medicare Part A just for breathing. Part B will cost you approximately $125.00 per month. If you do not buy the Part B you are a fool.
    So now, you have Part A and Part B, but the govt. has been so busy cutting back on what it will pay the doctors that many medical facilities will turn you away if all you have is Part A and Part B.
    So now, you need to buy a Part C plan. From this point, you have several choices from the "Alphabet" plan: There is "A" and "B" and do forth. I think my insurance broker placed me in Plan G.
    Plan "G" costs me $122.00 per month. I could have had Blue Cross but the broker put me in Cigna. So, every month, like clockwork, Cigna gets to dip into my checking account and grab their $122.00.
    I have known of some people who did not buy a Part C and thought they would save some money. But then they got sick and too late they wished that they would have stepped up because Medicare Part A and Part B did not cover all of the expenses.
    So, you you buy a Part C insurance and all expenses beyond Medicare are covered.
    So, buy a Part C. You are a fool if you don't.
    With Part A, Part B and Part C, your annual deductible is $184.00 per year.
    A monthly of $124.00 for Part B plus a monthly of $ 122.00 for Part C ( (124 + 122) * 12 = $2952.00). So, for $2952.00 I have full medical coverage on everything after I also pay the $184.00 deductible. And all of this is why all of the old timers told to government to "keep your hands of of my Medicare" when any health care issue gets talked about in the U.S.
    It is a hell of lot better than Obamacare with its escalating premiums and $7,000.00 annual deductibles.
    ============================================
    Anyway, while I pay $122.00 per month for Part B, there is more that is subsidized by the govt. and ALL of the insurance companies like having the govt. pick up the tab because the govt. will always pay them.
    And this is why you are getting flooded with sales information. The insurance companies figure if they can get you signed up that they will have a paying customer that is backed up by the govt. until the day you die.
    The company I use for my car and house insurance even wanted in on the action. I was offered Plan F for $177.00 month; Plan F was the highest priced plan to choose. And I got Plan G for $122.00.
    It pays to shop around.
    And given how fucked up health insurance in in the U.S. is, I was never so glad to get older and be 65 so I could get Medicare insurance that I can afford.
    ============================
    When I was 14 I wanted to be 16 so I could get a driver's license.
    When I was 16 I wanted to be 18 (or 21) so I could hit the bars and try to find some drunk chick to drag home.
    When I was 63 I wanted to be 65 so I could get Medicare.
    There is really not much else extra in the future so I would be happy to remain 65 for a real long time.

Yeah, I'm good with all that, been on medicare 2 years now with an advantage plan!!

#1222 4 months ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Can you even still get free state maps at visitors centers etc?

Oh yeah, old folks love stopping at the visitor center to pick up a map and pee..

#1232 4 months ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

At Kmart, we were high-tech with the manual price sticker gun that you would load with a roll of stickers and set the numbers for the built-in ink stamper!

What's a Kmart?

#1248 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was 12 or 13, one of my school chum's dad died. He was an old man when he died at 50 years old. Well, I will be 67 in two more days and when I read the obits and see someone checked out at 50, I find my self thinking he was so young. Hell, my grandpa was young 83 years old when he died.
    I recently got a speeding ticket in New Mexico for going WAY over the speed limit. The officer had some gray hair on but since he was still working he was obviously younger than me. As he handed me my ticket, driver's license, and insurance card, he just told me to not to forget to fasten my seatbelt. No lecture but he did give me that ticket.
    I have not had anybody call me grandpa, yet.
    And no one has called me dad. Or old timer.

Remember when you didn't have to buckle up?

2 weeks later
    #1274 3 months ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You know you're old when all the women starring in "MILF" videos are younger than you.

Or your daughters...

3 months later
    #1351 2 days ago

You remember Dick Clark hosting American Bandstand!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider poppapin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside