Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,602 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 minutes ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    giphy.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3786 2 years ago

You remember when you got your monthly batch of Charles Chips (potato chips in basketball-sized yellow metal canisters) delivered to your home by one of their logoed trucks.

1 year later
    #5646 1 year ago

I watched Cal Ripken Senior play baseball and later manage in Rochester before he "graduated" away from us up to Baltimore. Cal Jr. might have been a ball boy at some of those games.

1 month later
    #5791 11 months ago

I remember going to the New York World's Fair with my parents in 1964 and speaking to someone across the country using AT&T's prototype Videophone; it was a Big Deal at their booth. I think the people on the other end were at Disneyland.

I had another bit of flashback last week; I paid a visit to the RV & Motor Home Museum in Elkhart, IN one morning before PATZ opened. The museum had a couple of Osborne 1 PCs on display. Yep, had one of those 40 years ago. Built-in screen (no external monitor needed, but I later got one) smaller than today's smartphone screens.

Re those GM keys, I was hiking in the hills near our house one day last spring and found a set of GM car keys of that vintage lying in the brush. No idea how many years (or decades) they'd been there.

2 months later
    #5975 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

You remember when you didn't have to pay to enter a National Park.

Or when you could go to a park and see a major sight there with no crowds and occasionally alone_. It can still happen, but at fewer and fewer places and times. I don't even bother to return to some of my favorites at this point, they've become a zoo, like Delicate Arch. I've traded them in for weirder but still stunning out of the way places. It's nice to have the lifetime Senior park pass, though. We've just changed which ones we go to and when. There's still lots of relatively-unknown great scenery out there if you look hard enough!

1 month later
    #6113 7 months ago

When you remember a movie where the villain was . . . the Stuntman. Duel, Steven Spielberg's first notable outing, with the murderous truck driver, Carey Loftin, never seen on camera. He did a LOT of stunt work: how many things in this list have you seen?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517444/?ref_=tt_cl_t_13

BTW, Spielberg himself IS on camera in the movie, by accident. You can see his reflection in one of the scenes as he's filming. There's also a little inside joke that he used again in one of the Star Wars movies. The name of the Pest Control company in Duel (on the side of the car) is the same as that of one of the people in the Galactic Senate: Grebleips. Should be obvious.

#6126 7 months ago

We've hiked to the MASH site several times (and e-biked to it once, too). The place got flooded out years ago and many of the original props were lost, but they restored much of it. Then the more recent big floods wiped out pretty much everything. I'm not sure what they've put back since those. Let me dig out my earlier photos from before the flood.

IMG_7763 (resized).JPGIMG_7763 (resized).JPGIMG_7766 (resized).JPGIMG_7766 (resized).JPGIMG_7776 (resized).JPGIMG_7776 (resized).JPGIMG_7809 (resized).JPGIMG_7809 (resized).JPG
    #6133 7 months ago

Closest to 100 without going over. RIP, Bob. Didn't know until I looked him up that he'd appeared on an episode of Bonanza, too, or that he also got a red belt in tang soo do studying under none other than Chuck Norris.

A bunch of pinballers went to the more recent Price Is Right show during a trip to Indisc a few years back. Fred Richardson got picked and won stuff.

1 month later
    #6309 5 months ago

When the theme music to the Saturday morning wrestling show you watched was Classical Gas and Hulk Hogan wasn't around yet. Or even earlier when Johnny Powers was still in the ring rather than doing production or promotion. Remember Bruno Sammartino?

1 month later
    #6624 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Gotcha covered. Brand new and state of the art.[quoted image]

My first overseas trip was on either Pan Am or TWA (I think the former) back in the early 60's. Walk up the metal stairs to the plane, umbrellas provided for you if it was raining. Get served a decent meal with real silverware even in coach. Stewardesses had uniforms and often hats (and women only then). People kept their paper tickets as souvenirs. Coach seats weren't cramped. People actually paid attention during the safety demonstration. You didn't have "rollerboard" carry-ons, people just took purses, briefcases and small bags and checked everything else. Pilots would make announcements if you were flying over anything interesting. NOBODY pulled their window shade down in the daytime unless the sun was shining directly in on them. Passengers were more likely to talk to the total strangers next to them than today. Turbulence was more common since the planes flew lower and didn't have the detailed reports from other flights and radar we have now.

#6669 4 months ago

... when this is one of your favorite threads here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobmathuse.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=bobmathuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.