Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,619 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1194 5 years ago

When you get the senior discount without you or the cashier even asking for it...

I had this happen about a week ago at a Dunkin' Donuts. I was buying two breakfast sandwiches and coffee for myself and my wife, and the young thing behind the counter puts the senior discount in, which I didn't notice until I read the receipt. I had conflicting feelings, as I was kinda annoyed that she perceived me to be that old, while happy to save $1.32.

My wife (who is 8 years my junior) thought it was hilarious...

4 months later
    #1247 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

You are old when you know what a gestetner is. You’re even older when you know how to work a gestetner. Sadly I’m in the older camp. Anyone else remember the lovely purple coloured copies it made??

Ha! I'm in the latter category as well! We still had them just at the beginning of my teaching career; even had the hand-crank version, rather than the automatic.

3 months later
    #1301 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

You order a meal in a restaurant and when it is placed in front of you your first inclination is to eat it rather than take a photo of it.

Oh, well done...

4 months later
    #1589 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Let's not forget about Count Floyd's Monster Chiller Horror Theatre - 3D house of pancakes was a fave in our house!

Oooooo....very scaaarrry!!

3 weeks later
    #1618 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Anybody remember "Strat-O-Matic"? We played that for entire summers...

That's the one I thought was originally being talked about.

1 month later
    #1677 3 years ago

...when a fart becomes...oh, nevermind.

#1690 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My sister texted a pic to the family of my dad and my niece when she was a newborn - I'm about 3 years older than my dad was in the pic. Niece is about to get married, 27 years old. Pic from 1993.
    Someone stop this ride, I wanna get off.

I recently had the same experience. I have an old family photo in a cabinet, and while looking at it one day, I realized that I am now older than my dad was when that picture was taken. Man, this going fast...

#1727 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, "The Beer Store".
    I can walk into a gas station convenience store and buy beer.
    NY is good for something, I guess.
    I'm usually in my street clothes though!

I can remember when you had to buy alcohol from state liquor stores in NY; doesn't seem all that long ago.

#1749 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Still do in Pa.

Quoted from fiberdude120:

No state liquor stores in NY ever.

Maybe PA was what I was thinking.

1 week later
    #1825 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

On a land line, naturally!

Ha! My phones still have dials on them!

2 weeks later
    #1914 3 years ago

I'm finding that as I get older, my body is having a much lower tolerance for fast food. It seems that every time I have something like BK or Taco Bell, I pay for it soon after. And don't even get me started about White Castles. I used to be able to eat a ton of those when I was a kid. Now, not so much...

1 month later
    #2095 3 years ago

Here's the three-slot payphone that I have in my gameroom:

Payphone 2 (resized).jpgPayphone 2 (resized).jpgPayphone 1 (resized).jpgPayphone 1 (resized).jpg

That phone number is actually my current phone number.

I have a couple of other old-time phones that I still use in my house. A candlestick, a Western Electric 202, and a Dreyfus phone (like you saw on "I Love Lucy"). All of them work perfectly.

#2098 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

... when say “It’s Prince Spaghetti Day” every Wednesday.

"An-thon-eeeeey!!!!!"

3 weeks later
    #2163 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

And it also constitutes a MANDATORY
    surrender of one's man card.

Or even the surrender of one man's (credit) card in order to do it.

1 week later
    #2192 3 years ago

I've always been partial to Myrna Loy myself...

#2216 3 years ago

Hedy Lamarr was also an inventor; she co-invented an early version of frequency-hopping spread spectrum, which subsequently led to early versions of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr

Beauty and brains!

#2218 3 years ago

...when Bruce Springsteen makes the cover of this month's AARP Magazine.

1 month later
    #2442 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Of course you know you’re old when it’s less of a pole and more like a pool noodle.

...or like shooting pool with a piece of rope!

1 week later
    #2507 3 years ago

...you remember the local "5 & 10" (and know what a "5 & 10" is!).

2 weeks later
    #2622 3 years ago
    Quoted from blackcuda:

you know when you're old when you used to talk with your buddies about fast cars and motorcycles. now you talk about air fryers.

In a similar vein...

In the first stage of life, you talk about all of the great sex you've had.

In the second stage of life, you talk about all of the great meals you've had.

In the last stage of life, you talk about all of the great bowel movements you've had.

3 weeks later
    #2737 3 years ago

Amazing, isn't it, that these phones were, at one time, all over the place, and you wouldn't even give them a second thought. But now when you see one, it's like this strange oddity out of the past that you now point out? I still recall using a 3-slot payphone in front of a fire house near where I went to elementary school, calling home.

BTW, I have a 3-slot in my game room; it's fully functional (and my son knows how to use the dial to make a call!).

#2745 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

How about this one? (1930)[quoted image]

Well, I'm not THAT old!

#2746 3 years ago
    Quoted from sizteves:

When you drop an 80's reference and suddenly realize that your audience was born in -95. (And keep on doing that just for fun!)

I teach middle school and am near retirement. I find that I have to catch myself about things like this constantly.

2 weeks later
    #2808 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

You know you are old when you truly don’t understand buying any of these at the grocery store:
    Ice tea by the gallon
    Frozen toast
    Hard boiled eggs
    Are there really folks who don’t know how to boil water or make toast? It probably takes longer to heat frozen toast than to put some bread in the toaster .
    Oops, didn’t mean to give out the super secret toast recipe there. My apologies to the toast club.

Agreed. The one that I truly can't figure out is pre-cooked bacon that you heat up in the microwave. Geez, you can make bacon in the microwave very easily.microwave bacon (resized).jpgmicrowave bacon (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2961 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

My wife told me something like that too but I wasn't paying attention - I will give it a try, thanks

Oh sure; you don't listen to your wife, but listen to some stranger...

3 weeks later
    #3045 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

.....when you are STILL convinced today, that you " ran faster and jumped higher" in those Red Ball Jets sneakers you once wore.

I think that was PF Flyers, but I could be wrong...

4 weeks later
    #3165 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you worked at Radio Shack and CD players were the hot new thing. And people would come in and ask “is this good?” and you’d say “oh yes sir!” even though you knew Circuit City already had the next gen players, because you needed that $15 “SPIF” sales bonus to go toward new retread tires.

Wow; you got Radio Shack and Circuit City in the same post! Well done!

#3241 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

This could be its own topic.
    I ordered the stupid ghost that flies with a remote control. It's shown in the bottom left corner. It was a a white balloon with a plastic cover and fishing line. To make it fly, just add helium. Learned about false advertising at an early age.
    [quoted image]

Ha! I ordered the Hovercraft Air Car in the upper right corner; also was a big disappointment. Cheapie plastic, and the "remote control" was attached in the center. Ugh!

Speaking of capitalism, look at the ad directly below it for the Star Trek spaceships; $2.95 each, or $6.95 for both!

2 months later
    #3411 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Garage sale score today along with this weird vintage science molecule play set.
    [quoted image]

Cool! PBR!

2 months later
    #3658 2 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

A good 10 minutes going crazy thinking I didn’t go anywhere. Where the F are my glasses.This is real and happened tonight. At least I have a Mint Austin Powers when everything calms down.
    [quoted image]

Yep, I can honestly say I've done that before...

#3662 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

When you remember who said "Great Ceasars ghost"!!!

That would be Perry White on "The Adventures of Superman".

1 month later
    #3839 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

You can also buy labor saving frozen toast, which (go figure) has to be heated up.
    And hard boiled eggs. Between the eggs and ice tea, it sounds like there is a market of folks who cannot boil water. Using a toaster is so complicated, too.

I think I had mentioned this a while ago, but the one I still don't get is the pre-cooked, microwaveable bacon. Good golly, it's so darn easy to cook regular bacon in the microwave. I can't believe people see that and say, "Hey; great idea!"

Quoted from cottonm4:

However, for those who are convenience minded, they can buy a 1/2 lb. russet potato for 88 cents.
    [quoted image]

Yeah, whenever I see these in the store I always laugh to myself...

#3849 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Gotta say, I was skeptical at first about the pre-cooked bacon, but now I think it's great. One serving; 30 seconds in the microwave with minimal grease to deal with. I wish they'd give you a little more though. Cooking bacon is a hassle, and the pre-cooked stuff is a great shortcut. Not quite as tasty as the stuff you fry up yourself, but it's more than passable. I get it for my dad who I make breakfast for each day. Either bacon or sausage every morning!

Well, I guess then I'm glad someone is getting something out of it. For 30 seconds more for each strip, you can have the real thing.

#3868 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I get snail mail all of the time from the hearing aid people.

What?...

1 week later
    1 week later
    1 month later
    #4101 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No doubt those Nuns have him building a church somewhere!

"Lilies of the Field"; GREAT film!

#4116 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Remember doing this in grade school? Would have saved our asses huh?[quoted image]

I remember always seeing those "Fallout Shelter" signs inside and outside of my school building, and most public buildings, and not really knowing what the heck they meant. I started going to school in the late 60s, and by that time, those drills had pretty much stopped.

Just for fun, I found one of those signs and it now is on the wall in my game room.

DSC_0102 (resized).JPGDSC_0102 (resized).JPG

#4128 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My pride and joy is this parody poster that I found several years ago.
    [quoted image]

Yes! I had one of those, too, back in the day.

Thanks for the compliments on the game room, guys. I'm going to be posting some updated photos of the whole room on the game room thread within the next few days.

1 month later
    #4280 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

New toy..no chance [quoted image]

Yep; I have seen that all too often in my house too!

1 month later
    #4439 2 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

I used to think having a nap was weak...
    now I am if I don't get one.

Now that I am retired, I, too, have become a fan of the afternoon nap.

1 week later
    #4482 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Yes...I remember the road trips into New Jersey to get beer.
    The drinking age was moved up to 19 and then 21. but I was grandfathered. Good times.

My experience was similar, but in my case, the age requirements changed after I had just turned the now-required age. It felt like they were changing it just to accommodate me personally.

#4487 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I cam still put my trousers on while standing up, but no way would I try your tying your shoes trick.

Heck, I sit down to do both!

2 weeks later
    #4666 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Thats why I just dump them in the lake - no digging!

Quoted from LTG:

Peat bog. Down they go. Top covers over. No idea how deep they are. Never to be seen again.
    LTG : )

The fact that you guys know these techniques is somewhat disturbing to me.

#4676 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

For you folks who have watched the Netflix western series Deadwood...AL approves of Pigs

... when you remember that "Deadwood" was originally on HBO...

#4688 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

When you try to install a ceiling fan and you can’t see the screw holes without taking off your glasses, but you can’t see anything else without your glasses.

Quoted from cottonm4:

You sound like a man who is wearing bifocals.

...when you can't remember how many times you put on and take off your glasses when doing any task.

1 month later
    #5026 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That's Barbara Billingsley, who played June Cleaver.
    She's long dead.

I understand she was very fluent in Jive...

3 weeks later
    #5180 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Reminds me of a science project I did in grade 5. It was about boxes and how they are made. I didn’t win anything

Hmm, sounds to me like that was a last-minute idea for a project...

#5188 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Only a fool would, but that's what they're warming everyone up for.

Everyone is kinda doing it already by carrying a cellphone around...

3 weeks later
    #5244 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Older than me. The 1st music I purchased was "Let it Be" by the Beatles on a 45 in 1970. Next was "Hot Rod Lincoln".

"Hot Rod Lincoln" for me, too. I still have the 45

3 months later
    #5450 1 year ago

... when that trimmer that you bought to maintain your goatee all those years ago is now used exclusively for trimming nose hair, ear hair, and eyebrows.

4 weeks later
    #5492 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Haha, That was New Jersey, we used to drive across the bridge from Pa to legally drink there at 18.

Yep, could be. The thing that I remember about drinking at 18 was that it seemed they started to again raise the age every time I had a birthday. When I turned 19, they raised the age to 19, and then to 21 when I became 21. I started to feel like I was personally responsible for them raising the drinking age.

#5504 1 year ago

One lasting image I have about smoking is being in elementary school, and when passing by the Teacher's Room, if the door opened, a big cloud of smoke would come out into the hallway.

3 months later
    #5839 11 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not exactly a household name, but if you have an interest in the card game of poker...
    "Doyle Brunson: ‘The Godfather of Poker’ has died aged 89."
    aka Texas Dolly.
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/15/sport/doyle-brunson-godfather-of-poker-died-spt-intl/index.html

Most definitely known in this household.

RIP

2 weeks later
    #5879 10 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

suffering from poison Ivy exposure and my wife bought me Taco Bell as a treat! Im a lucky man

Interesting. Now I'm not sure if she loves you or hates you...

2 weeks later
    #5931 10 months ago

...when you fall going up the stairs and fracture a bone in your hand. Ask me how I know...

#5937 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When your TV viewing reverts to your childhood TV shows and you are now streaming in Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Dragnet on your ROKU box. .

...when you call it a Roku box...

#5945 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You are going to have to clue me in. What else am I supposed to call it? Well, it is not really a box, but...
    BTW, is it a RO-KU. Or is it a ROK-U/Rock U? I have 100s of TV shows at my disposal for the price of some commercials. Beats the shit out of cable. That rocks me. Does it rock you?

Oh absolutely! I started out with a Chrome stick years ago, but switched to a Roku shortly thereafter; I've now been using Roku products for over a decade. You are correct; much better than cable.

BTW, Roku is Japanese for "six", symbolizing the sixth company that founder Anthony Wood created (which makes me feel as if I have accomplished very little in my lifetime...)

#5951 10 months ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

It’s Saturday afternoon amd Im listening to Karen Carpenter songs. Bit of a tear in my eye. Such a lovely talented Woman. Yeah I’m old.

Quoted from hwyhed:

I was listening n enjoying listening to some Gordon Lightfoot while washing the truck earlier

Quoted from jrpinball:

Undoubtedly, two of the best ever!

No argument there.

4 months later
    1 week later
    #6612 4 months ago

Grew up in the NYC metro area in the 60s; we pretty much had the entirety of the VHF stations covered:
    2- WCBS
    4- WNBC
    5- WNEW (independent)
    7- WABC
    9- WOR (ind.)
    11- WPIX (ind.)
    13- WNET (PBS) (Star Trek, every night at 6pm!)

Also had a number of UHF stations, but hardly ever watched those (reception was awful)

With that lineup, we considered ourselves lucky to have that kind of variety.

#6620 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Your channels are pretty much identical to what we got out of LA. But different names for the independents. Broadcast from high atop Mt. Wilson as they used to say. I've come full circle and am back to an over the air antenna again.
    [quoted image]

Yes. Here they were broadcast from the top of the Empire State Building, and later the World Trade Center.

I'm back to an antenna, too...

Quoted from o-din:

I'll just leave this here.
    [quoted image]

How about the DC-10?...

#6629 4 months ago

Yes, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the DC-10. I remember a few trips on them as a kid, but I also remember that they were eventually pulled from service because of fuselage cracking, especially around the area of the tail engine.

Now, if you really want to talk about a classic, I'll take the DC-3, thank you.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6632 4 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

And you could smoke!

Oh yes! I remember that they had a little sign attached to the top of a seat to distinguish where the smoking section was separated from non-smoking. Like a sign would stop the smoke from floating around the cabin.

2 weeks later
    #6749 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Stopped at Burger King last night and got just a chicken sandwich, it was $6.00. Girlfriend says "I thought those were like $2.99".

Quoted from hlaj78:

They probably were: last year and you don’t have to be old to remember that. A Jersey Mikes sub sandwich was $15 last week. Jeez

Remember when KFC had the $5 Fill-up? That thing is well over $10 now.

1 month later
    #7194 82 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ours seem to get it pretty right. We are getting that one day of sunshine they promised before the next big storm hits.
    And at 62 years old today, I'm going to try to enjoy it.
    Happy Groundhog Day everyone!

Congrats! I hit 62 last Saturday.

Quoted from poppapin:

Either way, you can start collecting SS.

Quoted from o-din:

I'm putting it off, but yeah get some before it's all gone.

Yeah, I'm putting it off, too. I'm doing OK right now, so trying to hold off until 67.

#7196 82 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Same to you good buddy!

Oh good lordy! I haven't heard that in a dog's age.

Thanks for that!

3 weeks later
    #7329 57 days ago
    Quoted from avspin:

I had these in 1971.
    [quoted image]

I remember these as well. They spread like wildfire very quickly, but after all that stuff came out about them shattering and stuff, they disappeared just as quickly.

I don't know; maybe we were a bit tougher with regard to our toys than they are nowadays:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=Scotty_K and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.